PDA

View Full Version : WDW April 10-22 (Part 1 of 2)

WDWForever
05-02-2012, 10:26 AM
DH - Me
DW
DD1 - 5yrs old
DD2 - 3yrs old

Staying at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds for the first time.

------------------------------------------------------

Background:
This is the first time we drove down with our girls from MA to Disney World (we've flown to Disney a few times over the past few years but airline prices were way too high). Last time my wife and I drove down by ourselves was during college break years and years ago. We have a Class C camper and that made all the difference. Bathroom available, kids can do crafts, watch shows, play on their Leapads, take a nap on their bunk beds, and we can just park overnight or whenever to eat or get a little rest. At first I thought the drive down would be horrible because I usually only drive the camper and would be doing most of the driving, but my wife was determined and she practiced driving the camper the weeks before the trip. Our camper is 32 feet long on a Ford F-450 frame so it handles really well. The only downsides are the slow acceleration/breaking and the low MPG but that was expected and the conveniences well make up for it.

Apr 10 -11 The Drive Down
The drive down flew by since my wife drove almost half the time as we alternated every few hours, and it was mostly all highway so it was pretty easy. We left Tue afternoon and only hit a little rush hour traffic in CT and some construction in NJ overnight, otherwise the roads were pretty empty during the night driving. We stopped at a rest area in southern VA to get a few hours of rest. Then back on the road the most of Wed stopping only for gas and quick meals in the camper. Got to Fort Wilderness around 11pm to see if we could check-in early, at first it seemed we'd get a site free but they were going to charge us an extra night. We decided not to and instead found a store parking lot to rest just a few hours.

Apr 12
Checked in at 7am and since our site was available, we were able to hook up and settle in early. This was the first time at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds and it was very nice. Clean comfort stations, area well kept, pool, stores, campfire events, etc. Everything you'd expect from a Disney owned property. Headed out for 1900 Park Fair lunch with the usual cast of characters (Pooh, Tigger, Mary Poppins, Alice and Mad Hatter). This time around we brought blank white pillowcases for characters to sign (since we probably have 5-6 autograph books just sitting around the house). We decided to just chill at the campgrounds the afternoon and also pick up our golf cart. If staying on the campgrounds, I would definitely recommend renting a golf cart since it's so convenient when you need to catch the boats or buses and not have to rely on the internal campground bus system (which were long waits at times). We headed to the pool and the girls loved the little kiddie water park. My DD1 even liked the big slide in the big pool. Went back to change and headed out for our dinner at Kona, nice and relaxing then headed back to the campgrounds. Did the campfire sing-a-long with Chip and Dale and cooked some smores. Luckily we thought ahead and packed everything we needed.

Apr 13
Off to MK for morning extra magic hours which started at 7am (girls were early risers anyways and probably anxious to go). One of the dumbo rides was open so we went there first and you could see the construction of the second in work. Can't wait for the rest of Fantasyland to be done. Then headed to Goofy's roller coaster. First snafu of the trip, while trying to board with my DD2, one of her croc shoe got caught on the boarding stall and it fell under the loading dock. We didn't ride anyways because she wanted to sit on my lap and that's not allowed. The CMs saw the shoe down below but couldn't retrieve it so instead they gave us a voucher for new ones. So we headed towards the main store but on the way did some other Fantasyland rides while my DW and I alternated carrying DD2 if she wasn't in our stroller. Also did Small World, Peter Pan, Snow White (especially since it will closed for good soon), carousel and Winnie the Pooh. All my little girls' favorites. Found some new crocs at the store with our voucher similar to the one she lost (pink mickey) but had blinking light built into the shoe. We had 10am reservations at Ohana, of course for more Mickey waffles. Went back to MK for more rides like Buzz Lightyear, Monsters Inc and the People Mover. We heard about the new Sorcerers of Magic card game and got our cards from the Fire Station. Interesting and fun concept. My girls liked playing the spell cards and watching the animations of it all to defeat the villains. We even got to trade with a couple of others during our trip for cards we needed. My girls were happy that DD1 got a Rapunzel card and DD2 got a Snow White card (their favorites). Did a few portals before heading out to dinner at Whispering Canyon Café. Fun time passing around the ketchups and of course the pony stick race for my girls.

Apr 14
Did MK extra morning magic hours again for more Fantasyland rides. It was almost park opening so we headed over to Haunted Mansion and we were still the only ones in the holding room. Then went early to the castle for BBB reservations and they took us in since we were only doing hair. This the first time for DD2 and she did so well sitting there getting prepped up. DW brought both of their Rapunzel white dresses where DD2 decided on traditional bun hair while DD1 decided on blonde hair extensions to be like Rapunzel. Off for some pics and then wait for Rapunzel of course (next to the castle before they moved her to the front of the park). Then lunch at the castle. Did some portals and met with Woody and Jessie in Frontierland. Had a great spot at a roped off hub area by Frontierland to watch the Mickey castle show then the 3pm parade. I love when the characters interact with my girls. Did a couple more portals before heading out for dinner at California Grill.

Apr 15
Breakfast at Trail's End Restaurant since it was at our campgrounds, we've never been there before, and of course they had Mickey waffles. Then off to EPCOT for the day and walked around the Flower and Garden festival going on. Surprisingly a long wait for Spaceship Earth, so started at Journey into Imagination. In the fairy topiary area there were different stations for each of the fairies and if you fill out the sheet you get from the CM then you get a little prize (flower seeds and fairy stickers). Of course we had to stop at Innovations for the Piggy Bank game (during the trip we probably did it at least 5 times). Then off to Askerush for lunch. Did baby swap for Test Track, a little shopping, girls played in the little water fountain area that spurts out of the ground, Living Seas ride and then Turtle Talk with Crush before our dinner reservations at Coral Reef. Somewhat crowded but we actually got a table right next to the aquarium tank (oh yeah). Can't believe they got rid of my mussel appetizer, oh well. Then back to the campgrounds to relax.

(More to come...)

MizMissy
05-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Sounds like a fantastic trip so far!

Thank you for sharing.

KylesMom
05-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Wonderful that the drive was so uneventful, and your first couple of days sound busy but not too much so. We are also early risers and really enjoy morning EMH. Your family has had some great meals, too! Thanks for sharing so many details about your trip thus far! :mickey:

faline
05-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Our first few trips were tent camping at Fort Wilderness. I so missing staying at Fort Wilderness!!

Sounds like you're having a wonderful trip!

January-2007
05-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your vacation with us! I can't wait until we can stay at Fort Wilderness!!