PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Jack Sparrow to Open 12/6/12 at Hollywood Studios

DizneyFreak2002
05-01-2012, 11:09 AM
From the Mickey Monitor:

Opening this summer at Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow has elicited something of a legend of its own. The word around the Parks is that this mysterious new attraction will be a first-of-its-kind sensory experience in which Guests will have the chance to be enveloped by the world of the Pirates of the Caribbean® as seen in the four feature films. Sounds intriguing. To find out more, we had a chance for a friendly “parley” with Jason Roberts, Walt Disney Imagineering Project Manager and Show Producer for the new attraction. “This is going to be an immersive experience,” Jason told us. “We’ll really delve into the story of Captain Jack Sparrow and put our Guests in the middle of it all in new and exciting ways. “Story is always the most important thing for us at Walt Disney Imagineering,” Jason continued.

“But we’re always looking at new ways to tell the story that our Guests have never seen before. In this attraction, we’ll let you walk in the footsteps of Jack Sparrow. “It’s not ‘the making
of’, not ‘behind the scenes’…it is really a firstperson experience.” Jason wouldn’t divulge any of the state-of-the-art special effect trickery used in the attraction, but he did assure us that the attraction is certain to elicit a “Wow! How’d they do that?” from our Guests. A long-time fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction and films, Jason was delighted at his
shot to work on the attraction. “We worked with the archives as well as the filmmakers while they were shooting the last movie,” Jason said. “And as a fan, I just loved sitting through those films again and again, going through all the details and leveraging them for this new experience. It’s really been a blast.”

This walk through replaces the Narnia exhibit...

Ian
05-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Sounds like a positive addition for once ... Narnia was a waste to me and this sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to check it out!

Auntie B
05-01-2012, 12:00 PM
YESSSS - can't get enough Captain Jack Sparrow! Agree - Narnia was a total disappointment. :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah! Narnia was boring.

Diznee4Me
05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
There is a relatively new pirate museum in St. Augustine and it is really well done. My understanding is that Imagineering had a hand in a few of the exhibits one of which is a sensory experience (think Drew Carey Sounds Dangerous) that takes place in the depths of a pirate ship during a battle. Really well done. The other exhibit was the talking/joking head of Blackbeard hanging from the bow of the ship. Maybe St. Augustine was a practice for DHS. Looking forward to seeing this. :thumbsup:

the real Alice
05-01-2012, 02:15 PM
any word on when this opens?

kakn7294
05-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Sounds great! I liked Narnia but once was enough for it.

Melanie
05-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Can't confirm, but I think I saw that the Mickey Monitor online this was taken from was pulled sometime this afternoon. :confused:

DizneyFreak2002
05-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Can't confirm, but I think I saw that the Mickey Monitor online this was taken from was pulled sometime this afternoon. :confused:

You are right... And supposedly the Mickey Monitor's that were mailed did not include this blub in it which leads me to think Disney is really run by idiots with no oxygen going to the brain.. LOL... Can't even get this right...

They leak the announcement of the Monsters Inc coaster on the employee site, they can't get the Test Track refurb dates right on their own site, they release (apparently) the wrong Mickey Monitor....

A PotC walk through was/is planned for the Narnia exhibit though... Now, whether it opens this summer or not is the question... Maybe it was scheduled, got delayed, or cancelled (and I wouldn't doubt it getting cancelled by TDO) and someone uploaded the wrong MM version... Oh well...

darthmacho
05-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Awesome! This should totally satisfy my Jack Sparrow man-crush. (Wait...what!?) :blush:

Ahem, anyway, I'm hoping "summer" means the beginning of, not the end of. I'm planning two days for DHS this trip, so I'll definitely fit that in. :pirate:

CuteAsMinnie
05-01-2012, 06:08 PM
They leak the announcement of the Monsters Inc coaster on the employee site, they can't get the Test Track refurb dates right on their own site, they release (apparently) the wrong Mickey Monitor....

Monsters Inc coaster????? What did I miss?:blush:

DizneyFreak2002
05-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Monsters Inc coaster????? What did I miss?:blush:

Nothing because it has since been cancelled and never made public...

But basically, there were plans to put a Monsters Inc family coaster into one of the sound stages, I forget which, over in Pixar Place (I think it was the sound stage they had the Star Wars Weekends merchandise in)... The building was going to be extended in the back and backstage areas removed... The ride was all set to go, and someone put the announcement and concept art on the Disney employee site, The Hub... It was taken down pretty quick... And the plans for the ride have since been shelved...

Kenny1113
05-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Bummer if this cancelled, sounds great! Hopefully it is just delayed. :)

DizneyFreak2002
05-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Bummer if this cancelled, sounds great! Hopefully it is just delayed. :)

I have a feeling it is just delayed and someone uploaded the wrong MM...

DizneyFreak2002
05-02-2012, 11:44 AM
UPDATE: Despite the incorrect MM being released online, Legend of Jack Sparrow IS going ahead, just delayed until Fall...

Set expectations on LOW... Not as massive as the MM article made it sound... While it should be better than Narnia (what wouldn't be??), this isn't going to be some awesome E-ticket walk through... Probably 3 show scenes: the entry walk in, the main show room, then the post show gallery... Should be a nice diversion, but not MAJOR...

Bethanymouse
05-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Part of me feels it is just to take up space. They dont want to put in anything "new" so they are filling this space with filler exhibits. Not sure we would spend time visiting it. We did Narnia- and it was a waste!

ChipNDale79
05-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Nothing because it has since been cancelled and never made public...

But basically, there were plans to put a Monsters Inc family coaster into one of the sound stages, I forget which, over in Pixar Place (I think it was the sound stage they had the Star Wars Weekends merchandise in)... The building was going to be extended in the back and backstage areas removed... The ride was all set to go, and someone put the announcement and concept art on the Disney employee site, The Hub... It was taken down pretty quick... And the plans for the ride have since been shelved...

you just bummed me out....

darthmacho
05-02-2012, 03:57 PM
UPDATE: Despite the incorrect MM being released online, Legend of Jack Sparrow IS going ahead, just delayed until Fall...

DOH! :mad:

DizneyFreak2002
05-02-2012, 04:11 PM
you just bummed me out....

Don't be... Remember, Monster's University comes out in 2013 or 2014, I forget... If that does well, we may see it come back, or maybe improved on... :)

valjane
05-02-2012, 04:29 PM
This sounds cool, but... PoTC is already in the Magic Kingdom. I wish they could spread the love a little bit with their attraction themes. We've got Nemo and Toy Story already in two parks, now PoTC.

They have so much other stuff to choose from!

shadowden
05-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Set expectations on LOW... Not as massive as the MM article made it sound... While it should be better than Narnia (what wouldn't be??), this isn't going to be some awesome E-ticket walk through... Probably 3 show scenes: the entry walk in, the main show room, then the post show gallery... Should be a nice diversion, but not MAJOR...

Well this is a disappointment...

Frog
05-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Parks need things like this...
as long as they are well done!

DizneyFreak2002
05-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Parks need things like this...
as long as they are well done!

Exactly... Take a few hundred people all the street and ride lines during the day, I'm all for it... A nice little diversion... And who knows what the one show scene will be like... Just as long as people have their expectations in line and don't expect this major walk through attraction like One Man's Dream cause this will be nothing like that... I'm looking forward to more details as the days pass...

texas211
05-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Hey, another way to get 10 minutes of AC, i'm okay with. Kinda like the Walt Disney museum at DHS. Though I really enjoyed the WD museum movie this time around.

Lizzy
05-10-2012, 12:47 PM
It sounds cool at first, then when I think about how small the Narnia area was, and how big they made it sound before it's release I am like eh. Why would they need a publicity area for movies that are quite a few years old now? If they were to make it a full on show like Indiana Jones then maybe I would be more positive about it, but still not really thrilled.

I can understand them theming a new walk through for new movies coming out, but really? Older movies? I loved the POtC movies (except Stranger tides :sick: ) but the POtC ride in MK is good enough for me. I want to see diffrent things at each park.

Like a PP mentioned- they already duplicate enough from park to park. There are many other subjects in their arsenol to choose from.

EeyoresBestFriend
05-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Part of me feels it is just to take up space. They dont want to put in anything "new" so they are filling this space with filler exhibits. Not sure we would spend time visiting it. We did Narnia- and it was a waste!

I got the same feeling.

I wonder what they are 'hoping' will come along to place in there more permanently?

DaisylovesDonald
09-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Has anyone heard any more info on when this will be opening? Fall is two weeks away and I haven't heard a peep about this attraction. Just curious!

DizneyFreak2002
09-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Has anyone heard any more info on when this will be opening? Fall is two weeks away and I haven't heard a peep about this attraction. Just curious!

Fall technically lasts until December 20 so any time in that frame LOL...

DaisylovesDonald
09-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Fall technically lasts until December 20 so any time in that frame LOL...

Good point! It will probably open Dec 19th! :pirate:

Stu29573
09-06-2012, 10:44 PM
The way things have been going its probably just a cardboard standup you take pictures with.... But dont worry, if you are disappointed, you can go sit on one of those fantastic new Fantasmic benches!!!! Sorry, feeling a bit grumpy.

DizneyFreak2002
09-06-2012, 10:54 PM
The way things have been going its probably just a cardboard standup you take pictures with.... But dont worry, if you are disappointed, you can go sit on one of those fantastic new Fantasmic benches!!!! Sorry, feeling a bit grumpy.

They will make the cutout out of the same cardboard they use in the new Belle meet and greet LOL...

Figment!
09-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Has anyone heard any more info on when this will be opening? Fall is two weeks away and I haven't heard a peep about this attraction.
No new dates, but the exterior is currently under construction.

DaisylovesDonald
09-08-2012, 02:26 PM
No new dates, but the exterior is currently under construction.

Thanks! Glad to know they are at least still working on it.

Rhetoric2000
09-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Pretty sad state of affairs really. I don't want to be over harsh and I do love WDW, or at least I did - No I still do actually; but this sums up pretty much everything that is shoddy, lazy, unimaginative and wallowing about them for the last 5-10 years.

I'm pretty sure that POTC and a Pirate Tutorial are in the Magic Kingdom.

Is this better than an empty space? yes
Is this better than outdated Narnia material? yes
Is this is any way even vaguely creative? No
Is there anything that Disney could have done with this space that would have been even marginally original? Yes
Are they doing it? No

What on earth is going on?

PirateLover
09-16-2012, 09:13 PM
I just have to share, every time I see this headline it reminds me of the Michael Bolton skit from SNL,

"This is the tale of Captain Jack Sparrow! Pirate so brave on the Seven Seas! A mystical quest, to the island of Tortuga, raven locks sway on the ocean's breeze!"

Seriously though, they need to speed it up on this. I want my pic with that cut out! :cool:

texas211
09-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Narnia always felt like at the end they were going to say "now on dvd or blu ray" but it never did.

Gator
10-03-2012, 06:54 PM
It really is something they need to change up every 2 years or so. Once you've seen it, there's no need to ever go back. Hoping that Captain Jack will be there after Thanksgiving.

Figment!
11-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Has anyone heard any more info on when this will be opening? Disney has announced that the opening date will be December 6, 2012.

Studios Cast expect General Guest Previews (soft openings) to begin in late November.

Butters
11-21-2012, 09:14 AM
I've heard soft openings have started, has anyone experienced this yet?

Figment!
11-27-2012, 01:49 PM
I've heard soft openings have started, has anyone experienced this yet? BrowncatP just posted in the Theme Parks forum:

Legend of Jack Sparrow (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=196258)