PDA

View Full Version : Spring mother/daughter Trip Day 1, Part 2

Katzateer
05-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Bus service to the MK was quick and easy. Monorail ride to Polynesian made it feel like we were really "home" and in the middle of the Magic.

Kona was great. The staff isn't as authentic as in past years-it used to feel more "Disney" theme magical but now is just eating at a nice place with good food. I don't feel like I am in the Islands enjoying a tropical feast.

I got the teriyaki steak with broccoline and sticky rice which is wonderful! Stephanie got a breaded chicken breast and it was very tasty too.

Checking out the shops downstairs, there was an artist working in front of the art gallery. We talked to him to him at length -he was very nice. Stephanie's going to be a freshman at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia majoring in painting and illustration. She loved the paintings and meeting him was a treat.

We took the monorail to the Contemporary and checked in for our dessert seating at California Grill. The dessert menu was different and my favorite brûlée wasn't on the menu. I got a lava chocolate cake which was heaven! A white chocolate toffee covered sheet of chocolate and a Happy Birthday chocolate message decorated the plate. It also came with coffee flavored ice cream which I did not like. If I get that again I would ask for vanilla bean.

Stephanie got a chocolate bread pudding with chocolate ice cream with a toffee coating. I am not a bread pudding fan but she loved it. The ice cream was wonderful!! Coffee for her and iced tea for me.

We had a window seat and watched the sun setting and the castle and MK changing colors.

Checked out the shops at the Contemporary and took the monorail to the Grand Floridian. Live band and singer in the lobby. Love, love, love! And the lobby was almost empty. On a Friday night at 8:30.

We made it back to California Grill for Wishes. Beautiful night and Wishes and Tink!

Took a bus to Downtown Disney but the shops were closing about an hour after we arrived so went back to room and got some sleep for our early day on Saturday!

SBETigg
05-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Kona is not my favorite, the California Grill desserts sound fantastic. I love that you had some fun resort time.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Sounds wonderful, my mouth is watering

faline
05-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Great tour of the monorail resorts!

emerzmom
05-01-2012, 06:27 PM
The chocolate lava cake sounds great and Wishes too! What a great end to your first day.
:mickey:
Julie

shadowden
05-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Now I'm hungry again...

Great end to your first day!

KylesMom
05-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Yummy - what a great evening of food, good company and Disney atmosphere! :mickey:

Bethanymouse
05-02-2012, 02:25 PM
What a way to start off a vacation! Kona and dessert at CA Grill! Love it!

Kairi_7378
05-04-2012, 07:57 PM
What a wonderful end to a day!

My cousin is graduating from U Arts in a few weeks but will be returning for her Masters' degree. She had a very good experience there, hope Stephanie enjoys it too.

Katzateer
05-04-2012, 09:06 PM
What a wonderful end to a day!

My cousin is graduating from U Arts in a few weeks but will be returning for her Masters' degree. She had a very good experience there, hope Stephanie enjoys it too.

Glad to hear that! Looks like an amazing school. She was hoping to take pointe ballet too but if you are an art major you can't take dance classes except a beginner jazz or modern. Looks like her pointe shoes will hanging in her room after recital in a few weeks.

vizsla
05-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the report.

January-2007
05-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the trip report.