PDA

View Full Version : Women sentenced in Disneyland milk sale fraud

finaldynasty
04-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I heard about this on the news...SMH

Women sentenced in Disneyland milk sale fraud
April 23, 2012 | 5:10 pm

Two Diamond Bar women were sentenced Monday to three years in Los Angeles County Jail stemming from charges that they defrauded seven people out of almost $600,000 in a Ponzi scheme to sell milk to Disneyland.

Maricela Torres, 42, pleaded no contest to seven counts of securities fraud in a Pomona Superior Court room, according to the district attorney’s office. Juliana Celeste Menefee, 51, also pleaded guilty to the same charges.

Between June 2008 and August 2010, the women, along with ringleader Eva Perez, 52, told victims they were investing in a contract with the Alta Dena Dairy to sell milk exclusively to Disneyland. More than 30 people invested between $2,000 to $100,000, and victims were promised “extraordinary” rates of return, according to the office.

Perez pleaded no contest in April to seven counts of securities fraud and one count of using a device to defraud. She was ordered to repay more than $1 million in restitution and is now serving a 10-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to the same scheme in San Bernardino County, according to the office. The two women were sentenced to three years in county jail and ordered to repay the seven victims a total of $590,000.

VWL Mom
04-29-2012, 02:02 PM
SMH with you

SBETigg
04-29-2012, 02:18 PM
SMH with you

Yes, how bizarre. How do people think up these schemes? Then think they will get away with it? And convince people to invest? Mind-boggling.

BrerGnat
04-29-2012, 03:20 PM
I admit, the fact that these women actually got people to invest money in this blows my mind. Talk about being a good salesman!

Who in their right mind would think that a company as big as Disney would handle their vending contracts like this???

Dixie Springs
04-29-2012, 03:37 PM
'A fool and his money are soon parted'. Hilarious Ponzi idea, though.

shadowden
04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Who in their right mind would think that a company as big as Disney would handle their vending contracts like this???

Reminds me of what P.T. Barnum once said, "There's a sucker is born every minute."

Sadly, most people are susceptible to quick buck, easy money scams...