PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic - East vs. West

TracyL
04-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Has anyone seen Fantasmic at both DL and WDW?

I enjoy Fantasmic but it's not a "must-see" favorite. We are WDW passholders headed to DLR -- is Fantasmic any different there? Should we make a point to see it, or not spend the time? My least favorite thing about it is the stupid amount of time you end up spending sitting around the stadium after you get there early enough to get a seat within two zip codes of the stage....

If we do go, any idea what we can get away with in terms of arriving early? Do we have to go an hour ahead or more to get a seat?

Thanks...

2Epcot
04-26-2012, 11:31 PM
I seen the show at both WDW and Disneyland many times. If you've only seen it at WDW then seeing it at Disneyland is a MUST! You will not be disappointed.

The best place to see it, without paying extra for a dessert seat is to get there early enough to sit in the center seating area. There are no bleachers at Disneyland, so you will be sitting on the ground.

People tend to get there early, but you could probably arrive an hour to 90 min before and find a place to sit in the seated area. You will be very close.

If there are two shows, see the second show, much less crowded, and easier to get a seat in the center area without having to wait so long.

On several occasions I've watched the fireworks from the hub near the castle (left side near Frontierland) then worked my way through the crowd to get a very nice sitting area for the 2nd showing of Fantasmic.

If you choose that option, don't be afraid you won't get a seat. There is no need to stop and find a place to the right of the stage. There will be areas to sit, dead center for that 2nd show. It just make take a little while to work through the crowds ... and you won't be two zip codes away.

The key is to be near the castle to the left, so you can easily leave the fireworks and go straight through Frontierland to the Rivers of America to view Fantasmic.

NewDVCowner
04-27-2012, 11:57 AM
I agree that you should shoot for the second show if they have one. The last time I saw it I was just coming out of Pirates when the first show finished. As people left I was able to walk up to within two rows of the front and sit down. I don't remember how long I needed to wait before the show started, but it wasn't that long. A word of warning, Disney crews won't really have time to clean up the messes people leave behind. I almost stepped in a puddle of melted ice cream, and about ten feet away someone had left a dirty diaper on the ground. :ack: Who does that?!?!?

I have honestly seen people spreading out blankets at 4:00 in the afternoon to get a good spot for the 9:30 show. That's just crazy and a waste of good park time. Avoid the first show if you can.

BrerGnat
04-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Disneyland's Fantasmic is AMAZING. It's so much better than WDW's version that I don't even understand how they can CALL the WDW version the same name. It's an insult.

Definitely a "must do" at DLR. Don't worry too much about getting there super early. Try for the second showing, if there will be one, and go get your spot while everyone else is on Main Street watching the fireworks (try to see the fireworks on a different day).

missouridisney
04-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the info, even though I didn't ask the question, I will be there in 20 days so it was very helpful, I have seen WDW Fantasmic several times, this will be 1st time at Disneyland.

disneydementia
05-01-2012, 11:48 AM
I have been holding this in since my trip to WDW in December. Fantasmic was a huge disappointment there. Didn't want to offend anyone. Fantasmic at WDW was in the too hard to do column! Packed in like sardines, CM's yelling at you like your cattle, and everyone gets up to leave before the end so you can't see! Not to mention not seeing the Mark Twain coming around the bend. DL-goosebump city. WDW-a lot of work and no goosebumps!:mickey:

Silver_Surfer
05-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Been to both DL 3/09 last & WDW 6/11 My vote is WDW or has DL changed/referb Fantasmic in the past 3yrs ?

Heading back to DL this sept.:D

BrerGnat
05-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Been to both DL 3/09 last & WDW 6/11 My vote is WDW or has DL changed/referb Fantasmic in the past 3yrs ?

Yes! They HAVE changed Fantsamic in the past 3 years. There's a new animatronic firebreathing dragon. A cool one, not a puppet looking thing. :thumbsup:

2Epcot
05-06-2012, 09:30 PM

Yes! They HAVE changed Fantsamic in the past 3 years. There's a new animatronic firebreathing dragon. A cool one, not a puppet looking thing. :thumbsup:

Plus you can't beat the two ships used at Disneyland. Hard not to laugh when you see what the characters ride out on at WDW.

Silver_Surfer
05-07-2012, 01:33 AM
Wow, you guys make it sound GREAT!:thumbsup: Cant wait, Thanks!:mickey:

BrerGnat
05-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Plus you can't beat the two ships used at Disneyland. Hard not to laugh when you see what the characters ride out on at WDW.

Ha ha...the word "LAME" always pops into my head...

Patricia
05-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Another vote for Disneyland's version!

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-12-2012, 02:33 AM
Yet another vote for the Disneyland version. They really are two different types of shows. One has an area designed specifically for it and with all of that possibility it just misses the mark (IMHO). The other is the original. Sure it can be a challenge to get a good spot depending on the time of year. It is well worth either springing for the desert viewing area or taking the time out of your trip to ensure good seats for it.

I am going for one of the AP 20th Anniversary nights. Looking forward to it.

:smickey:

belori
05-15-2012, 01:17 AM
I haven't seen the WDW (thanks for the tip...I won't waste my time).

But I do LOVE the DL one. Definitely the 2nd show is less crowded and you can get a great seat once the 1st one ends so that you don't have to sit and wait too long.

CogsworthWest
07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
First of all, I apologize if I have posted in the wrong area. It has been a few years since I've been here so I won't be offended if this gets "bumped" to the proper forum :mickey:

I'm returning to Disneyland after a 4+ year absence. I'm taking my daughter and my girlfriend so I wanted to make it special..so I reserved Premium Viewing seats for Fantasmic.

After doing so, I've read mixed reviews. I'm not really concerned about getting my money's worth; I'm more concerned about the quality of the viewing.

Can you regular's give me your opinion and any tips a rusty DL visitor might need for August?

Thanks to All!!

MegaDisney
07-19-2012, 11:11 PM

I laughed at Mickey in a "Golf Cart" boat at the end of the WDW version. So much better at Disneyland!

I'm returning to Disneyland after a 4+ year absence. I'm taking my daughter and my girlfriend so I wanted to make it special..so I reserved Premium Viewing seats for Fantasmic.

After doing so, I've read mixed reviews. I'm not really concerned about getting my money's worth; I'm more concerned about the quality of the viewing.

Can you regular's give me your opinion and any tips a rusty DL visitor might need for August?

Thanks to All!!

We are also considering the Premium seating.

I have only seen the show from the Gallery Balcony, back when that used to be the premium seating.

I have heard that the new area is not as good, so any feedback from someone with first hand experience would be appreciated.

NotaGeek
07-20-2012, 11:47 PM
I have done the new premium seating -- and the old. I don't think it's the best place to see the show -- and it's really expensive now! The dessert box is yummy, free drinks and you don't have to wait with the crowd to see the show -- kind of worth it but honestly I am not sure I would spring for the premium again -- for $70 I would rather eat at Steakhouse 55.

CMCTxMom
07-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Oh, my - Fantasmic! is INCREDIBLE at DL. The scene with the fighting on the ship... just... wow. Go.

MegaDisney
07-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Still debating sitting and waiting, or the premium seating. We will see the show, just not sure about the details yet. I want to make sure Ryan (who is seeing it for the first time) has a good experience, and we only have three days at the Resort, so time is an issue.

I have to wait till 30 days out to book, so I have a week to brew.

They quoted me $60 when I called, which is still expensive.

CogsworthWest
07-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. I agree that $60 per person is expensive. My rationale was that I didn't want to camp-out to reserve seats and "waste" time not experiencing the park. I know the later showing of Fantasmic is not as crowded, but I'll be struggling to stay awake at that time so the earlier show is my only option. So, by paying the money, I can enjoy the park for a couple of extra hours before I need to check-in and I'll be awake to enjoy the show!

I will definitely report back and let you all know my thoughts! :mickey:

Elias1901
09-12-2012, 05:54 PM
I agree that Fantasmic! at Disneyland in California is much better than the one in Florida. In my opinion, the only thing Florida has that California doesn't, is the space to comfortably seat people. At Disneyland, you're sitting on the ground for hours and then standing through the show... not the best on the comfort front.

I think the stage used at WDW is a lot broader and magnificent than that of DLR and they're missing a lot of villains, but that is just because Disneyland's is the classic and they made do with the space they had and the villains up until that point. Which I believe was 1992.

I wish maybe DHS, if they ever poured any money into that place, would get a Fantasmic! overhaul and include the best of both worlds. Get the Flotsam & Jetsam characters out there, upgrade the dragon, maybe add a new sequence or two? Maybe with Chernabog as the top of a mountain peak and he opens up his wings to expose his mighty self... I don't know. Just spitballing here. Maybe upgrade their dinky ship (I realize it is supposed to be Steamboat Willie, but why so small??) and what not. :humph:

Gator
09-13-2012, 03:42 PM
I agree that Fantasmic! at Disneyland in California is much better than the one in Florida. In my opinion, the only thing Florida has that California doesn't, is the space to comfortably seat people. At Disneyland, you're sitting on the ground for hours and then standing through the show... not the best on the comfort front.

This is my beef at DL vs WDW. World of Color and Fantasmic require you to be about 6 foot 8 to really enjoy the shows at DL. At WDW, they have the giant arena where you can sit comfortably, not stand for half an hour which really stinks.

Elias1901
09-13-2012, 08:56 PM
This is my beef at DL vs WDW. World of Color and Fantasmic require you to be about 6 foot 8 to really enjoy the shows at DL. At WDW, they have the giant arena where you can sit comfortably, not stand for half an hour which really stinks.

Amen to that brother. :high5:

BigThunderFan
10-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I went to World of Color first, then immediately made my way over to DL and fought my way through the crowds watching the fireworks. This was a Saturday night by the way. I then rode Indiana Jones and Haunted Mansion while waiting for the first show to end, then made my way over for the second show. Did not have to wait forever, and was able to sit in the center.

It was SO much better than at WDW, the only bad part is the lack of seating!

Mary Chase
10-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Glad to hear that the show is better than WDW - because we love the show at WDW! We've never been to DLR (first trip next month!) I am not looking forward to the lack of seating though - that might be rough on the kids.

Silver_Surfer
10-15-2012, 01:34 AM
Just got back last week. Agree the MT boat maked all the difference in the world! Highly recommend showing up early for both Fantasmic & World of Color(even if you already got FS). We got up close in the wet zone:thumbsup:

TracyL
04-06-2013, 07:50 PM
A very belated thanks to all who responded to this. We did go and see Fantasmic at DLR, and although the dragon did not choose to appear that night (alas, they are technical nightmares on both coasts), it was still a great show!

Elias1901
04-07-2013, 02:01 AM
although the dragon did not choose to appear that night

Is this STILL an issue? Seriously?? I paid for the Fantasmic! Dessert Package in August 2011 and it did not show up then either... and again that same October.

I was considering doing the dessert package again this August when I take my friend to DLR for the first time for the D23 Expo but if the dragon isn't guaranteed to make an appearance by now -- I doubt I will shell out the money for a chair. Heck, even the Pinocchio puppet sequence wasn't working either!!

To me, the whole transformation sequence seems a bit lackluster, non-sensical and very anticlimactic without the dragon. I am extremely dissapointed to hear that this dragon isn't making regular appearances.

Does anybody have more information on the dragon? How often does it show itself? How often not? It's pretty sad if you have to basically gamble to see what you should expect (and be amazed) to see!! :mad:

Elias1901
04-12-2013, 04:21 AM
Is this STILL an issue? Seriously?? I paid for the Fantasmic! Dessert Package in August 2011 and it did not show up then either... and again that same October.

I was considering doing the dessert package again this August when I take my friend to DLR for the first time for the D23 Expo but if the dragon isn't guaranteed to make an appearance by now -- I doubt I will shell out the money for a chair. Heck, even the Pinocchio puppet sequence wasn't working either!!

To me, the whole transformation sequence seems a bit lackluster, non-sensical and very anticlimactic without the dragon. I am extremely dissapointed to hear that this dragon isn't making regular appearances.

Does anybody have more information on the dragon? How often does it show itself? How often not? It's pretty sad if you have to basically gamble to see what you should expect (and be amazed) to see!! :mad:

Does anybody have an answer for this? I am quite eager for an answer.

tinkwest
04-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Have not taken in a showing of Fantasmic! in quite some time so can not speak first hand. I would guess that this is not a problem that has been going on for years without attention, being the climax of the show.

Elias1901
04-12-2013, 06:07 PM
being the climax of the show.

Yah, which is one of the most important parts! Which really bewilders me that they haven't gotten this back in tune. You think they would be on this ASAP and be sure that it works flawlessly every time. :ill:

2Epcot
04-13-2013, 04:13 PM
The dragon appears in most shows. Unfortunately there are glitches once in a while. It's too bad, you were there on nights when it didn't work.

Elias1901
04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
The dragon appears in most shows. Unfortunately there are glitches once in a while. It's too bad, you were there on nights when it didn't work.

Hopefully it decides to appear on our trip in August. I'll book the dessert package and hope for the best, I guess. Not to sound unrealistic, but do you think if the dragon did not show and we were upset about it, that we could go to City Hall on Main Street and express our "concern". Is this likely to get any sort of compensation and what not? :confused:

DisneyPookie
05-19-2013, 12:48 PM
I think i MAY have misunderstood but...did someone say that you have to sit on the ground to watch the show? I've only been to the one in WDW with the stadium seating, where you really don't have a BAD view. Can someone clarify this for me please? Thank you!!

tinkwest
05-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Fantasmic! is performed on the Rivers of America. Seating is on the ground on the walkways in this New Orleans Square/Frontierland area. I don't feel I have ever had a poor view for this show. The worst I have suffered is a sore rear-end from sitting too long.

If you decide to purchase the dessert package you will be provided with folding chairs to sit on.