PDA

View Full Version : Jumping on cancellations

DonaldDuckUSA
04-26-2012, 08:59 AM
DBFs family and I are going to WDW the weekend of May 5th! We have ADRs at rather popular location and we're really looking forward to it. However, our reservations are a little late. We'll go that late but we're hoping for something a little earlier.

I keep calling Disney to see if there is an opening due to cancellations. I'm assuming we won't get in earlier, but I'm going to keep trying!

In your experience, when is the best time to call in order to jump on a cancellation? I know its not something that is easy to narrow down and it mostly just depends, but I thought you guys could provide some insight. I hope this isin't a silly question. :blush: THANKS! :mickey:

mydisneygirls
04-26-2012, 09:17 AM
I would start checking a week and every day up until the time you are going. People reserve more than one restaurant on a given day, but if they are not going to use them they have to cancel or their credit card will be charged. Last trip, I was able to get reservations for the places we wants right before we went.

BrerGnat
04-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Do you have a smart phone? You can check on Disney's Mobile Dining site for availability.

Let me guess...are you going to 'Ohana? Is your reservation for 9:45pm? ;)

If so, this restaurant is ALWAYS booked solid. People do cancel at all times of the day, though, so you just have to keep checking. There's really no way to guess when someone might cancel.

You *could* try your luck at walking up RIGHT at around 4:30pm, and offer to wait, but you might wait a LONG time.

We have missed 'Ohana on the past two trips because the time was just way too late and we didn't want to eat that late. There's always next trip, I always say.

floridamom
04-26-2012, 10:06 AM
I agree about checking from a week prior to the day before b/c of the credit card guarantee. But I wonder if you would be charged the $10 apiece for changing your original reservation if you get an earlier time. Anyone know the answer to this?

CajunDisneyDad
04-26-2012, 10:07 AM
I usually start checking www.disneyworld.com and check the reservation site a few times a day. You never know when someone might cancel, and sometime you just might be on at the right time :) We did that for Ohana's and Chef Mickeys and I kept checking until finally I got a decent time! :) I wish you the best in securing a favoriable time :D

DonaldDuckUSA
04-26-2012, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=BrerGnat;2261041]
Let me guess...are you going to 'Ohana? Is your reservation for 9:45pm? ;) [QUOTE]

:secret:

haha! That's the one!

It's better than no reservations at the Ohana!

faline
04-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I usually start checking www.disneyworld.com and check the reservation site a few times a day.

I agree. I've been able to get hard to get reservations at favorable times at both Chef Mickey's and Le Cellier this one. In fact, we had a choice of favorable times for Chef Mickey's just two days prior to our arrival!

TheDuckRocks
04-26-2012, 10:58 AM
You *could* try your luck at walking up RIGHT at around 4:30pm, and offer to wait, but you might wait a LONG time.

Just a word of warning - the last time we ate at Ohana our ADRs were for the first seating. They have 2 lines, one for people with ADRs and one for people without, who were willing to wait. After being seated, eating dinner and leaving an hour and a half later the same people were still standing in the line for NO ADR people, not a one of them had been seated yet.

buzznwoodysmom
04-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Just a word of warning - the last time we ate at Ohana our ADRs were for the first seating. They have 2 lines, one for people with ADRs and one for people without, who were willing to wait. After being seated, eating dinner and leaving an hour and a half later the same people were still standing in the line for NO ADR people, not a one of them had been seated yet.

This was our experience as well. It was great that those with an ADR didn't have to stand behind 10 parties trying to get a "walk up" like in the past, but I did feel bad for those who were still waiting on our way out. I would definitely keep trying, but I wouldn't expect to be able to get an earlier seating. I'm sure it can happen, but Ohana is just one of those places that's always booked solid. Good luck to OP!

Imalismom
04-26-2012, 01:22 PM
DBFs family and I are going to WDW the weekend of May 5th!

Hey, I will be there too! Where are you staying and where are your ADR's?

We are at the WL, and my ADR's are Hoop-de-do (dinner 5/5), CRT (Breakfast 5/6) and Liberty Tree Tavern (Dinner 5/6) ....

DonaldDuckUSA
04-26-2012, 02:29 PM
I would definitely keep trying, but I wouldn't expect to be able to get an earlier seating. I'm sure it can happen, but Ohana is just one of those places that's always booked solid.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, but I figure its worth a shot.

And Imalismom, we will be staying off site :( Saturday we are having an early lunch at 50s and a late dinner at Ohana. Saturday at 50s, late dinner at Ohana. Then on Sunday we have an early dinner at Teppan Edo.

DonaldDuckUSA
04-26-2012, 02:38 PM
I would definitely keep trying, but I wouldn't expect to be able to get an earlier seating. I'm sure it can happen, but Ohana is just one of those places that's always booked solid.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, but I figure its worth a shot.

And Imalismom, we will be staying off site :( Saturday we are having an early lunch at 50s and a late dinner at Ohana. Saturday at 50s, late dinner at Ohana. Then on Sunday we have an early dinner at Teppan Edo.

ANG
04-26-2012, 08:54 PM
For our last trip, I checked online several times a day. We were able to get a good time at Chef Mickey's just 3 days prior to the trip

mickeys_princess_mom
04-26-2012, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=BrerGnat;2261041]
Let me guess...are you going to 'Ohana? Is your reservation for 9:45pm? ;) [QUOTE]

:secret:

haha! That's the one!

It's better than no reservations at the Ohana!

I literally lol at this! They messed up the dates on our ressies (this was the FIRST one we made), and I was forced to start over---9:45, too! We got lucky, but it was not easy. I've been told first thing in the morning is the best time to call.Good luck--and you are quite right--better than no reservations at Ohana! :high5:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-26-2012, 10:40 PM

We've done it twice, and been fortunate both times. I made it my business to be first in line, so there is some waiting involved, but it was worth it. Not impossible at all.

cer
04-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Too bad you live in Florida. I always try and justify those late ADR's with " Well, our bodies will feel like it is 'only' 8:45" and that somehow for me makes it better, a little.

If you are unable to get an earlier seating, maybe you can pretend you are visiting from California. :blush: