PDA

View Full Version : Marriner Aniversary trip Day 1 Part 3

Jim&AngieMarriner
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Day One Part Three
So to refresh your memory as to what’s going on, it’s our 5th wedding anniversary trip and Day one is the actually day. So far We arrived at Port Orleans Riverside in our Royal room and I have started my trip into hard headed Idiocy because I won’t go back to our room to change my shoes into something more comfortable that won’t give me blisters unlike the shoes I am currently wearing. We have explored Future World and are making our way slowly (and limping) over to Mexico.

Step by slow and painful step we get over to Mexico as a thunderstorm is rolling in. I will be honest, I normally skip Mexico when we visit EPCOT. I think the last time I actually was in the Mexican building was back in the mid-late 80s. But I had kept hearing this haunting call of my name. It seemed to be coming from this supposed tequila bar that I have heard about on the PODCASTs that John runs. Well the Tequila bar is happily easy to find and it wasn’t crowded at the bar. We asked a fellow guest what was good and she recommended the 5 shot flight of liquors. Its cheaper than the 4 shot flight of regular tequila and it doesn’t have a Tabasco or Habenero shot. I like spicy stuff but not when I drink. It was here when I fell in love with the Mexican Pavilian. OH. MY. GOD. Those shots were delicious. With the exception of the coffee flavored one, I loved them all and even that one wasn’t horrible. They were so good I took a picture of the bottles so I could buy them when we got home.

Well we couldn’t stay and drink the day away unfortunately so we decided to ride the Three Caballeros ride. What happened to this ride? It didn’t teach me anything about Mexico. I remember vaguely the original ride taught you something about Mexico but not now. It’s a wild goose (or should I say duck) chase trying to get a hold of Donald so they can perform. I was not really impressed. I don’t think we will ride that again until they re-do it to teach us a little something about what Mexico had to offer the world.

Oh hey look. The rain rain rain came down down down in rushing roaring rivulets. It is absolutely pouring now. DW thinks we should wait right where we are until the rain stops but somehow I convince her to push on to Norway so we can ride the Maelstrom. We hurry as best as I can on my poor feet and get in line. We spend a only a moment in the line until we get in the boat. Annnnnnd it breaks. Not sure what went down but Maelstrom went down and they had to close it. We didn’t even leave the loading area so we didn’t have to get rescued thankfully. But I had wanted DW to experience the trolls and everything. But it wasn’t meant to be. So we exited through the gift shop and took a picture of the DW picking the nose of the giant troll there.

I think I have forgotten to mention that of course EPCOT is in full Flower and Garden mode. We have seen some truly breathtaking topiaries and there is an orchid “grotto” near Mexico that had some of the most beautiful orchids I have ever seen.

We continue our trek clockwise through the different countries. There really isn’t much to do of course except shop or eat or drink. And even though I am in pain I don’t want to drink so much that I embarrass myself when it comes time for our Diner reservation. We buy several things for the kids we left at home and for friends and have them sent to the resort to be picked up later. All in all I think we did pretty good about not going to overboard with souvenirs. We got a personalized beer mug for a family friend in Germany and several things for the kids in different countries. We didn’t buy anything for ourselves at this point since we were the ones actually in the park. We wanted to think of others first.

Interestingly enough, we saw a Cast Member that made our 2008 trip very special in the American Pavilion. Of course he didn’t remember us but we sure remembered him taking us through Liberty Inn and announcing to everyone in a loud voice that we were here celebrating our delayed Honeymoon. It was sweet and we have a picture of the three of us in our living room. It made us very happy to see him again.

By now I am actually looking for Darwin and hoping that he has a gun so he can kill me and put me out of my misery. Still though, the Soldier in me refuses to quit. DW is constantly asking me if I want to go back to the Resort. I refuse because I will not let a small thing like a blister beat me. And we cant go back now, our ADRs for our special Anniversary dinner is only in a couple hours I reason.

We stumble on through Japan, Morocco and France shopping along the way. Need to take a moment to rave about the Gran Marine slushy. Very tasty and not badly priced. Only problem with it is I couldn’t drink it as fast as I wanted because I didn’t want to get a brain freeze. I realize this is twice I have mentioned alcohol but those were the only two times we had anything to drink that day. Neither of us wanted to get tipsy and embarrass ourselves at Coral Reef later. Although my feet could have used a bit more liquid painkiller. Grumble grumble whimper.

After France we decided that I had enough. I gave up. My feet were to the point that I really couldn’t make it any more. We were going to go to Coral Reef, slowly, check in, and wait for our ADR time of 8:05pm. We really didn’t do or see much in Great Britain although I did look for a Manchester United Soccer jersey which they didn’t have. And we stopped and sat for about 10 mins to listen to Off Kilter in Canada. Those guys ROCK. On our next trip I am making it a point to listen to a full set of them.

We arrive at Coral Reef an hour early and find a bench to sit on. And wait. Normally I wouldn’t want to do this but by this time I was experiencing a Rainbow of pain in both feet and all I wanted to do was stay still and never move again. Eventually we get our table and it’s a great one. Right in front. We really couldn’t have asked for better seats. We had already looked at the menu while we waited so we ordered right away. DW got the steak and I ordered the Mahi Mahi. Both we delicious. Personally I have never had a seafood dish that good ever. The meal was totally worth the wait. Our server was really good and we tipped him well as we left.

We left the park and took the bus back to the resort. It probably took us twice as long to walk to the bus depot as it should have because I had to walk so slow and stop a few times. We got back to POR and I went straight to the General Store while praying they had Moleskin. Don’t know what it is? Look it up and buy some before your next trip, believe me. I bought two packs. Once we got back to the room and I took off my shoes I saw the true damage. 5 separate blisters on my left foot and 4 separate ones on my right foot. The worst blister was the one that made up my entire pinky toe. I collapsed on the bed and went to sleep almost dreading the next day in Magic Kingdom.

faline
04-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Moleskin - never leave home for a Disney trip without it!! Hope all looks better in the morning.

Your dinner sounds lovely!!

yjgirl32
04-25-2012, 11:30 AM
I love Coral Reef!!!! My ds8 and I were lucky enough to score a front row table.

Hope your feet feel better.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the report.

Owww, I feel your pain. In 2008 my feet were completely covered in blisters by day 6...an entire layer of skin on one foot rubbed off and bled profusely. I had to end up renting a wheelchair and my poor son had to push me everywhere. 2011 trip I had New Balance walking shoes and no problems:)

DisneyorBust
04-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Moleskin has saved the day for us in WDW. We always pack some pre-cut in various sizes. Hope that it works for you.

vizsla
05-02-2012, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the report.

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks for commenting guys :mickey:

emerzmom
05-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Oh your poor feet! This sounds so painful. And all on Day 1. :-(

Zawadi
05-12-2012, 09:32 AM
OUCH!

All I can say is hope that you sleep well and put your best foot forward to go to MK. But it sounds like you haven't got one ;)

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Not sure if this violates TOS or not but here is a picture of my feet on my facebook. :thedolls:

Mods, if it does, of course please remove

http://www.facebook.com/james.marriner?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?fbid=461516127198547&set=a.106879712662192.13223.100000204906834&type=1&theater

shadowden
05-15-2012, 11:44 AM
OUCH!!!

I hope you had a speedy recovery for your day at MK...

January-2007
05-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks for reporting.