PDA

View Full Version : Swimming at Wilderness Lodge in September: Too Cold?

MrPeetrie
04-24-2012, 09:43 AM
I think the Wilderness Lodge is our family's most-beloved resort. We've only stayed once and that was at Christmastime and we found the resort to be breathtaking.

We are going back in September and have our reservations for POFQ. (I am actually quite happy to be returning there.) But, I think my family would like to be a little closer to the Magic Kingdom, so I may upgrade to WL. (Poly is out of our budget, as is GF. Wife refuses to stay at Contemporary.)

My concern it the main pool area. If memory serves me correct, there is a lot of shadow coverage on their pool and in September I am afraid it might be too cold to swim. Are my concerns correct? What do you guys think?

goofy-4-disney
04-24-2012, 09:51 AM
You'll still have some pretty warm days in September. My last trip to WDW was between Christmas and New Years several years ago and there were always people swimming. The temps then were only in the 60's and 70's.

darthmacho
04-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Anything can happen with weather, but I don't think it will be too cold in September. The average high temp for Orlando in Sept is 89 degrees, and the average low is somewhere in the 70's. I don't think there is as much shade around the pool anyway, but I doubt it would make much of a difference on a 80-90 degree day.

Enjoy the Wilderness Lodge! I love it too. :mickey:

AgentC
04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
You should be fine unless the weather is unseasonably cool. September still tends to be quite hot.

We have an unheated pool at my house and generally are still able to use it way into October.

mydisneygirls
04-24-2012, 10:11 AM
We stayed at the WL this past September and I can tell you that we couldn't WAIT to get to the pool in the afternnon because it was so darn hot and brutally humid. I don't recall any shadow coverage at on at the pool.

We are going again this September to October and we'll be staying at WL again. Can't wait! One more thing, most of our trips were late October and the weather was perfect. No problems swimming.

Bring your bathing suits....you'll need them!!!

FriendsofMickey
04-24-2012, 10:11 AM
I would think it would most likely be plenty warm to swim. The last time were were down in Mid September it was hot, hot, hot. Of course, as already mentioned, you never know with weather, but I would say chances are good that it will be warm enough.

(Especially considering you are from PA and 89 is pretty warm in these parts. :D)

Mousemates
04-24-2012, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't worry much about it being too cold to swim in September....unless your very cold natured and require 90+ temperatures to enjoy the pool.

BrerGnat
04-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Absolutely NOT too cold in September.

The last trip I took in September (at the end of the month) I thought I was going to die from heat exhaustion. It was in the upper 90's and close to 100% humidity the whole time. Miserable, is how I'd best describe it. I WISH I had been staying at the WL. I was at Pop Century and just did not feel like swimming in the human soup pool there. It was so crowded it was disgusting. :sick:

steamboat willy
04-24-2012, 11:40 AM
I can tell you.....PACK your bathing suits. :swim:We have traveled to Disney many times during September to even early October and have needed the pools to cool off each day.
Don't think you will have a problem! :thumbsup:

Princess'Mom
04-24-2012, 11:42 AM
I concur with all of the replys!:thumbsup:
We swam at the end of September and found it to be quite refreshing - not cold at all.

MrPeetrie
04-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Thank you for all the responses. My main concern is more regarding the sunlight than the actual temperature.

In September, the sun is much lower in the sky and my fear is because of the "U" shape of the building, the height of the trees, and the angle sun, that there will be very little sunlight on the pool. And if my memory is correct, in the Fall, the sun has a hard time hitting their pool.

dismommy
04-24-2012, 12:15 PM
We have stayed at POFQ last 4 trips end of October/beginning of November and it has been fine. Had some bee problems last 2 trips but they were spraying at night and morning to deal with. My DS loves the pool at POFQ!:mickey:

JenniferS.
04-24-2012, 12:37 PM
We went this past oct into the 1st week of Nov and some days the air was a little cooler, but the pools are heated if they need to be. I'm sure it will be just fine in Sept. You would prob. want it to be cold after spending a day in the sweltering Sept. heat. lol

Mogie
04-24-2012, 02:03 PM
It will be mid 80's to mid 90's. Humidity will be lower than August, but still plenty hot enough!

mydisneygirls
04-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Thank you for all the responses. My main concern is more regarding the sunlight than the actual temperature.

In September, the sun is much lower in the sky and my fear is because of the "U" shape of the building, the height of the trees, and the angle sun, that there will be very little sunlight on the pool. And if my memory is correct, in the Fall, the sun has a hard time hitting their pool.

The pool is in direct sunlight. I never noticed "shade" in the pool when we went in September (see my post above).

brownie
04-24-2012, 03:43 PM
We've gone swimming in the pool in December. You should be alright in September.

Disney Doll
04-24-2012, 03:49 PM
We swam at Wilderness Lodge this past October and it was plenty warm. I've been in Sept. a couple of times and Sept. is summer in Florida. Bring your shorts, your tanks, and most certainly your swim suits. :cool:

MrPeetrie
04-24-2012, 07:54 PM
The pool is in direct sunlight. I never noticed "shade" in the pool when we went in September (see my post above).

mydisneygirls, thank you very much. If we can swing it, we may upgrade to WL.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Take your suits - you'll be in the pool! It is heated, the humidity is still up in FL in September - they don't cool down much til Late October/November. And my BIL (grew up in Tampa) talks about swimming in his unheated pool some in November.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Trust me, it will be plenty warm in Orlando to swim in September...October too, heck my son swims there in December:blush:

joonyer
04-25-2012, 11:39 AM
September in Orlando.
Like the peak heat of summer in the northeast.
Shade will be welcome if you can find it.

buzznwoodysmom
04-25-2012, 11:53 AM
I agree with everyone else here, you'll be able to swim in September. You may actually be looking for shade, as it can still be really HOT in September.

We stayed at WL for Christmas last year and spent some time at the pool. The pool was in direct sunlight during the day, there was some shade, but not enough to cover any major areas of the pool. Even in December we were actually really glad to have a table with an umbrella because it was hot sitting in the direct sunlight.

The only pool I've been to that I can remember was very shaded was at Port Orleans Riverside. It's almost like the pool is in a jungle there. Other than that I seem to remember most of the pools are mostly out in direct sunlight.

mydisneygirls
04-25-2012, 11:33 PM
You're welcome Mr. Peetrie. If you do upgrade, my girls and I will look for you and your family at the pool!!!

LynneM
04-29-2012, 12:20 PM
There's no shade at the pool that I can recall, and I've stayed there in September many times.

But even if the entire pool were shaded, it wouldn't be too cool to swim. September really isn't much different than August - miserably hot and suffocatingly humid. You're not going to find 'cool' anyplace outdoors.