PDA

View Full Version : Why does DL have better food it seems?

g0189a
04-24-2012, 09:04 AM
I just got back form my first ever Disneyland trip and found the food in the DL parks to be far better than WDW parks food. WDW has a lot of other really great things going for it but this one area struck me as a big difference between the two parks.

For example, in California Adventure, the - Paradise Garden Grill's kabobs are incredible. My daughter had a flatbread pizza from the Pasta & Pizza next door and it was so much better than the seemingly over bready pizzas found elsewhere at WDW.

In DL, the New Orleans area had incredible food at the Cafe Orleans too. The prices seemed a bit high but the quality of the food was much better than table service restaurants at WDW parks. Kids had Monte Cristo and I had a slamon sandwich and my wife cajun chicken. All were great.

However, the burgers at DL were still not so great and the turkey legs in WDW were a bit better IMHO. Still good turkey legs at DL but I remember better in WDW.

So what drives this drastic difference in food quality between the parks? Is it just California has more fresh food available? You would think Florida has plenty of good food available too.

Or is it the constant offering of free dining plans driven down the food costs at WDW so that the quality of food is sub-par everywhere at the WDW parks?

Hammer
04-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Actually, I think it is just personal preference. I've been to Disneyland and I did not find the food quality better than WDW. In fact, I find the smaller amount of table service restaurants at DL to be a big negative. The counter service food I had there was just like what I had at WDW; some were great, others not so much.

So, as I said, I think it is all really one's personal opinions. But that is good, because I think our differences are what make the world go around!

BrerGnat
04-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I've been saying this for years.

My reasoning is that California is just better. Everything in CA is better than it is anywhere else in the country. ;) I miss CA so much...can you tell?

Seriously, though, Disneyland has spent a lot of time and effort revamping/improving their food offerings over the past few years. They have done an excellent job and I agree that the food offerings there (IN PROPORTION TO THE SIZE OF THE RESORT) are excellent. Of course, there are not over 200 dining locations to choose from, but it's also not a mega resort like WDW is, so that comparison is not fair. Actually, considering there are only 2 parks, 3 hotels, and Downtown Disney, there are probably MORE restaurants, proportionally. The lack of TS restaurants in the parks is made up for by the larger numbers of restaurants at Downtown Disney and inside the resorts.

I attribute most of the "better food" phenomena to the fact that there are so many locals who visit every day, and in order to get them to stay onsite for meals, they really need to up their game since there is so much nearby (in walking distance) competition for dining options.

disneynarula
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
I've been saying this for years.

Seriously, though, Disneyland has spent a lot of time and effort revamping/improving their food offerings over the past few years. They have done an excellent job and I agree that the food offerings there (IN PROPORTION TO THE SIZE OF THE RESORT) are excellent. Of course, there are not over 200 dining locations to choose from, but it's also not a mega resort like WDW is, so that comparison is not fair.

I have agree here. They don't have Epcot so it is not a really fair comparison. I thought the standard counter service food at DL was far superior the the standard counter service at WDW. I was so surprised how much I loved DL after being a WDW fan for over 30 years. We had some really awesome CS at DL right at the Magic Kingdom. At WDW outside of Epcot World Showcase and Flame Tree BBQ there really is not any CS that is really over the top. I have not been to WDW for over three years so maybe things have changed.

Hammer
04-24-2012, 01:38 PM
My comparision is based on if you want to eat at least 1 TS a day and you are staying there for 1 week, you could have issues. I was there for 5 days and I like to have more than 1 sit down meal per day when on a vacation and I'm not a big character meal fan. I was hard pressed to not repeat places or go off-site. I did enjoy a counter service in the Pacific Wharf area(great wine :wine:) and I loved my meal at Napa Rose and Steakhouse 55, but was extremely disappointed with the Blue Bayou.

I fully expected the DL fans to speak up here whenever anyone does not favor DL, but as I said this is all people's personal preference. I honestly did not think the food at DL, as a whole, was better than WDW.

Scar
04-24-2012, 01:59 PM
We had some really awesome CS at DL right at the Magic Kingdom.Woops! ;)