PDA

View Full Version : About to take a LARGE group of kids... Advice?!

DisneyDawgette
04-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Our children's church is about to take a large group of kids to Disney for 2 days in June (I know, it's going to be hot!). We've had sign-ups out for less than a week and we already have about 20 kids signed up! I've been to Disney a lot growing up, but I've never been responsible for this many people. So I had a few questions if anyone has the time to think it through:

1. First of all, we're going to have a group of maybe 50 including leaders, I would guess. And we're intending on doing Wishes and the Main Street Electrical Parade on the night that we do the Magic Kingdom- it's so DISNEY, you know? Is this crazy? The kids are all 3rd-6th grade, not wee ones! These kids are wonderfully behaved and we've never had any behavior problems on these trips, or had to worry about kids running off. Probably about 8 kids per leader, so we could split up some if need be!

2. Where would you recommend sitting to see both the Main Street Electrical Parade and Wishes with this many people? Has anyone done this before that could let me know how it goes?

3. What are some things to keep kids busy in Animal Kingdom? I know about things like KSafari, and Kali, and Everest, and the Tree of Life, but we always kind of skimmed Animal Kingdom when I was growing up. What are some of your favorite things to do here?

4. Cheap food- we're taking lots of kids who are going to want to stop for snacks during the day. What are some of the best counter-service, kid-friendly places in these parks?

5. Where is the best place in each park to sit and take a break if the kids start to tire out? Not all 50 of us will be together at once! But still, big enough for 10-15 of us to sit and relax for a little while.

6. Also, a question for you Disney experts- at Magic Kingdom, what order do you recommend working around the park? I was thinking to avoid Fantasy Land early in the morning and work back to it closer to parade time in hopes that it would clear out some... Thoughts?

Also, any other advice you could think of would be so helpful! Thanks so much and wish us luck! :D

ANG
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Very brave indeed! :mickey:

My first thought is I would recommend changing your chaperone ratio. 8 kids to 1 adults seems like an awful lot for Disney. I'm sure you've already thought of the obvious to have them wear some kind of matching shirts. Since they are old enough to understand, I'd make it very clear to them what to do if they get lost. Disney is awesome at recovering kids.

I'm confused as to which parks you are visiting. By your questions it will be AK and MK?

If you need places to rest in MK, I'd ride the train around the park. Or if you need a/c, try Mickey's Phill. Magic show. As for AK, we usually don't go often. But I'd imagine you'd want to catch a show as well. Maybe the Finding Nemo?

I would involve the kids in the planning! Give them examples of the rides. Maybe they will be in agreeance on a few rides that are must dos and go from there.

With such a large group, get there before opening. They will enjoy the rope drop show at MK and the crowds aren't as bad. You can get alot of rides in the first hour. If your kids are interested in the FL rides, I'd go there first. This seems to be the consensus I've found. Lines for Dumbo and Peter Pan fill up fast.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the counter service places. Most have something for everyone. And prices are comparable.

Mickey'sGirl
04-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Could the Disneyyouth.com website help you out? It is Disney's site ....

DisneyDawgette
04-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks so much for the advice so far! Sorry ANG, in my original post I had written that we were doing MK and AK, but I think I accidentally edited it out! Kudos for being perceptive! ;)

mickeys_princess_mom
04-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Sounds like fun! And scary! lol--I've done this with my Dance Team a few times. First of all---make your groups as small as you can--the more chaperones, the better. 8 is a lot to keep up with. (I'm a retired teacher, too :mickey:). Have meeting places, and exchange phone numbers with all the chaperones. Make sure they can all reach you at any time if you are the one in charge. Impress upon chaperones how important it is to be on time for meeting up with the group. AT the place at the designated time, not at the other end of the park on a ride, or just starting to head that way.

Even good kids get excited and wander---have I.D. on every one that includes the chaperone's number and yours. Buddy system is vital--NOBODY goes anywhere, including bathroom, by themselves for ANY reason.

Discuss ahead of time meeting places if for some reason someone gets lost, or can't get hold of you by phone. Disney CM's should be pointed out as someone to ask for help.

Just thought of something--in today's world, I would snap a pic of each kid in my group, for quick reference if someone gets lost, w/ parent permission, of course....

Make sure each chaperone has a list of all their children, including emergency medical issues, allergies and parent phone numbers. Some children may require epi-pens for emergencies, or other medications during the day. Ideally their own parents will be handling this.

Who's handling tickets? They can easily be lost, and some may not be replaced.

Check out all the parents ahead of time as much as you can. Get the lowdown, whatever you have to do, to make sure they are responsible. It may sound strange, but sometimes people don't even keep up with their own. Be prepared to scoop up children if you need to.

Stress upon all that they are representing your church, and behavior should be excellent.

Don't know what your busdriver situation is, but make sure you have the ability to call him/her for emergency transportation or weather-related changes in plans.

Line up eating arrangements (including $$) before you go, where, what time, etc. Be prepared if someone forgets $$--it always happens. :)

Fun stuff--absolutely meet and watch Wishes together. Go further towards the entrance of the park, though. We met under the clock of the castle the first time, and it was packed so we had a hard time being seated/standing together. Plus we were all too close to have a good view. This will help you make a quick departure when the fireworks are over, too.

Count, count, triple-count! My son went on a high school trip without me ( first time!) and he and his girlfriend got left! Chaperone just "thought" her group was all there. They didn't have numbers, and couldn't come up with (offsite) hotel name, so it was a while before the group leader realized they were missing, got bus and came back to get them after park had closed!

I think I would be inclined to do Fantasyland first thing in the morning when the park opens....haven't really seen it clear out later IMO.

In Animal Kingdom--definitely make sure they see the Lion King show! They will love it, and there is plenty of seating, but you'll be seated in the order you arrive, so stragglers may be elsewhere in the theater. Doesn't matter, but it is amazing--don't miss!

More coming, but I have to run. Will come back.
:wave:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-23-2012, 11:18 AM
And matching, bright colored tee shirts are VERY helpful! :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Depending on what your group wants to do, the safari in AK should be done EARly, or grab fastpasses. Likewise Expedition Everest.
Bug's Life is a good cooloff spot, as is Lion King. Waittime for Nemo show can be long and restless. It wasn't my thing.

natstroop
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
I just have a tip about ID. The first couple times we went to the parks, we typed out information on a small piece of paper and lamenated them. We had our names and cell phone numbers on them along with a little note saying something like: "My parents have wandered off. Could you please call Paul at xxx-xxx-xxxx or Natalie at xxx-xxx-xxxx and tell them where to find me." The kids kept them in their back pockets and were told to hand it to a CM if they got lost. Thank the Lord we never had to use them, but it was good to know the kids wouldn't have to try to remember our numbers in an emergency situation.

We also brought along pictures with our childrens' fingerprint on the back.

minnie04
04-23-2012, 02:04 PM
copied from Mickey_princess_mom:"Just thought of something--in today's world, I would snap a pic of each kid in my group, for quick reference if someone gets lost, w/ parent permission, of course...."

What a great idea that is. I think all parents should do this. I know we have pictures on our phones, but a nice big face shot of our kids would be the best to have. maybe even the morning of the park. Line them up and just go down the line and take a pic of them one by one.This way you have what they are wearing as well as the faces. It shouldnt take that much time if you only have 8 kids each. Other then that. I would grab a map (ahead of time, if you can) and have the kids in your group pick out a few things they really want to do. Try and hit them all if you can.. Also fast pass if you can get in early and grab them. As for food I love the cosmic ray place. Plenty of selection and lots of seating. The AC is always kicking in there too..

Animal Kingdom I would try and see the Lion King Show as well as the Nemo Show..

MK: everything is great so thats up to your group to say what they like.

ransam
04-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Good luck that sounds hard!

Tigerinvestigator
04-24-2012, 02:34 PM
We took 48 from our church in Tennessee but they were a little older, for Nights of Joy. I agree with the above posters that 8-1 ratio is going to be hard. We found 5-1 a little tough 4-1 would have been perfect. Disney's reps requested we break the group up especially when travelling on Disney transportation, eating, and waiting in lines. We found this to be good advice as well. I would also suggest you have someone designated to take sick, injured, tired, or problem kids. With a group that size a couple of the kids are bound to have problems and its not fair for the other kids if it slows them down. Our kids were great, but even great kids have their moments...best to plan ahead. We really enjoyed the trip as a church and they can't wait to go back. Also if you don't already, you need a disney group rep to help you. We are professional disney planners, but these group reps made our trip special and even arranged to get us to all four parks in two days!:thumbsup:

DisneyDawgette
04-24-2012, 06:03 PM
How do you get in touch with a Disney rep? I think that would be incredibly helpful! :D

Main Street Jim
04-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Trying to get a group that size together in time to see MSEP and Wishes...

Just some advice from a veteran Disney CM (who used to work the parade route) and visitor :)

*PLAN ON AN EARLY MEETING TIME AND PLACE* in order to get everyone together.

Plan on *at least* an hour and a half to two hours early for the parade. Pick a spot where all of you can fit together.

My suggested meeting/parade-watching place? Along the curb on or under the Main Street Train Station side. You'll be close to the park exit after Wishes. If y'all get there early enough, you can spread out right along the curb.

Touring plan? My suggestion? Head toward Fantasyland first. Get Peter Pan and Pooh (if needed) out of the way first. The FastPasses for these are usually gone fairly early, and the stand-by wait can be an hour or more later on.

Speaking of FastPasses: when you break off into your groups early in the day, and your group<s> want<s> to get FastPasses, have someone in each group (preferably an adult) in charge of running your park tickets to the FastPass machines. Each person needs their own individual FP, but, you only need one person with everyone's tickets to go to the machines and get them. Not everyone in the group has to walk up to the machines :thumbsup: Also, keep in mind, you can get a FastPass for one attraction at a time; your current FP will tell you at the bottom what time you can get your next one.

Cheap food: Hmmmmm...at MK: two places that have "kid-friendly" menus. Cosmic Ray's in Tomorrowland (Sonny Eclipse will keep the kids entertained while they eat ;) ), and Pecos Bill's in Frontierland.

At Animal Kingdom: Pizzafari, or Flame Tree BBQ (Flame Tree's my favorite!). At FT, head down toward the water behind the "restaurant" (really just a kiosk). Lot less crowded, lot more tables :)

As far as taking a break: At AK, I'd say anywhere along the shaded path between Asia and Africa (between Flights of Wonder and Harambe village). You may even see DeVine along the path :)

At Magic Kingdom...hmmm....maybe upstairs inside the Main Street train station, or out on the balcony. I would say anywhere in the shade in Adventureland near Swiss Family Treehouse, but I think that's a smoking area. :(

Oooo...take the kids over to Tom Sawyer Island! You can rest up on one of the rocking chairs on the docks or over at Aunt Polly's, while the kids run all over the islands! Designate a meeting time back at the "return" dock on the island side when you're ready to head back.

:thumbsup:

DisneyDawgette
04-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Wow! That was very thorough and helpful! I really appreciate all your help! :)

disneykidsince1970
04-25-2012, 01:55 PM
wow! I was about to comment I thought 8 to 1 is too many... but that was my gut not all the awesome experience you have received. These ideas were all great I think -

I have to tell you my blood pressure is going up just thinking about it! 3rd grade seems young to me but... my oldest is only 6.5.

So...GOOD LUCK!!! , Have a BLAST!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't have answers for everything but as far as eating we like Flame Tree BBQ in AK...if they don't like BBQ they can get hot dogs and the onion rings are really good....also with kids you may want to try Pizzafari. Also, I'm thinking your best bet at MK is Cosmic Rays they have three different bays, you can get burgers and hotdogs in one, BBQ chicken dinners in another etc...something for everyone.

Also, we love AK...take them to Its a Bugs Life a fun 3-D show and Festival of the Lion King, they will love it and its in an air conditioned auditorium...its about a 30 minute show. Also, when my son was younger he loved Dinoland because they had a lot of arcade type games there...be prepared to have plenty of change though.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
It might be a good idea to discuss shoes before the trip....Kids that age (parents too) like to go buy shiny new tennis/sandals/flipflops to go on vacation, but let them know that "old-and-broken-in" is muuuch better, and will save the feet from blisters and misery. Good idea would be to pointout First Aid locations ahead of time in both parks, just in case....
:wave:

FiggyFan
04-29-2012, 09:19 PM
For MK food, Pecos Bill's sounds like a good choice to me - and also a good place for some quiet, cool time. If you turn left when exiting the food line and walk past the restrooms, you will find a room on the left that has the feel of an outdoor courtyard in the evening. Cool, low light levels, not much view of the outdoors, and some decent sized tables - we have done 8 to 10 people at some of the tables.

While I love Cosmic Rays, it can be a rather hectic place. It has a more extensive food selection, but there are three distinct serving counters areas for three different menus, which may mean splitting your group and re-forming after getting food. On particularly busy days, I have seen them deny entry into the seating area until you actually have food in hand.

As a less likely option, consider Heritage Harbour House, near the Haunted Mansion and the entryway between Liberty Square and Fantasyland. There is a second floor seating area that I like as a way to retreat from the hustle and bustle for a while. The menu may not be as kid friendly as the other two choices, so take a look at that before trying it.

BigRedDad
05-01-2012, 10:32 AM
CHEAP and DISNEY is an oxymoron. There are things you can do to make it less expensive, but never cheap.

I would probably do this in groups and separate the groups based on what the kids want to accomplish and plan a meet up around 1PM to regroup. Some kids are not going to want to or can't do the big rides. Others are only going to want to do those. Meeting up together will allow you to reshuffle groups. Some that are tired may be happy just relaxing a bit and playing in the play areas (if it still exists).

For Wishes and MSEP, you need to find a place early with a group that large. Stake out an area, put down blankets to sit on and have several people wait it out and take turns.

To save money, the kids can share meals. The portions are huge for ~$10. If you split them in half, they can share a meal.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-01-2012, 05:46 PM
I would probably do this in groups and separate the groups based on what the kids want to accomplish and plan a meet up around 1PM to regroup. Some kids are not going to want to or can't do the big rides. Others are only going to want to do those. Meeting up together will allow you to reshuffle groups. Some that are tired may be happy just relaxing a bit and playing in the play areas (if it still exists).

For Wishes and MSEP, you need to find a place early with a group that large. Stake out an area, put down blankets to sit on and have several people wait it out and take turns.

I second part of this 'emotion':blush:. It's very hard to keep people happy when traveling with a large group if you all stay together. Meeting up at assigned times just to check on everybody is a better thing than trying to stay together all day.

Daisy'sMom
05-01-2012, 05:56 PM
i remember when I helped with DS's school trip to Washington DC. I swore to DH when I got home I would never do it again. I hope you have a better time than I did. Good luck:mickey: