PDA

View Full Version : Rich Ross out at Disney

PopPhan
04-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Not sure if this should be in this particular category, but it IS news...:D

Rich Ross out at Disney
by EW staff

Rich Ross has stepped down as chairman of Walt Disney Co.’s movie studios, EW has confirmed. Ross helmed the film studio for two years, overseeing one of Hollywood’s biggest flops, John Carter. ”I have made the very difficult decision to step down as chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, effective today,” he said. Ross took the job in October 2009, after leading the Disney Channel to great success with projects like High School Musical.

Read his full statement below.

For the last 15 years I have had the opportunity to work with incredibly talented people on behalf of the world’s best-loved brand. During that time, we’ve told some amazing stories around the world, created successful TV programming, movies, and franchises that generated new opportunities for the company in the process.

I’ve always said our success was created and driven by our own people – whom I consider to be the absolute best in the business. But the best people need to be in the right jobs, in roles they are passionate about, doing work that leverages the full range of their abilities. It’s one of the leadership lessons I’ve learned during my career and it’s something I’ve been giving a great deal of thought to as I look to the challenges as opportunities ahead.

I belive in this extraordinary Walt Disney Studios team and I believe in our strong slate of films and our ability to make and market them better than anyone else. But, I no longer believe the chairman role is the right professional fit for me. For that reason, I have made the very difficult decision to step down as chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, effective today.

It has been my honor to work with such incredible teams – at Disney Channels worldwide and The Walt Disney Studios and the many other Disney businesses I’ve had the opportunity to collaborate with. I know I leave the studios in good hands, and even on separate paths, I am confident we are all destined for continued success.

Quadstriker
04-20-2012, 04:18 PM
I liked John Carter but understand why it failed. The marketing for it was horrid.

DizneyRox
04-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Wonder how much that golden parachute is going to cost the company (not counting the 1/4 billion dollar loss for John Carter).

Dixie Springs
04-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Most successful Disney film since 'The Black Cauldron'.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-22-2012, 07:05 PM
John Carter could have been more successful had the marketing not bombed.

As for Rich Ross - well - just because you held court and ruled the TV media - that doesn't make you good at doing so with the Cinema media.

DizneyFreak2002
04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
John Carter could have been more successful had the marketing not bombed.

As for Rich Ross - well - just because you held court and ruled the TV media - that doesn't make you good at doing so with the Cinema media.

One of Iger's brainy ideas that failed... But, at the same time and to be fair, Disney's marketing team totally stinks... The movies have been marketed in horrendous ways... Marketing should be next on the cutting block... I am sure there are plenty of capable marketing people unemployed today... Hire them and replace these clowns...

scooterca42
04-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I suppose someone had to take the fall for "John Carter" - and they couldn't fire the whole Marketing staff!

DizneyFreak2002
04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
I suppose someone had to take the fall for "John Carter" - and they couldn't fire the whole Marketing staff!

No, but the head of the marketing team can get canned... and probably should :)

meldan98
04-27-2012, 01:06 PM
And just think...this all started because of Johnny Depp showing up to D23....

I really think Iger made a huge mistake in the hiring of Ross. I think he did it to clean house and change things up because he was so upset after D23. I think he felt Dick Cook was a loose cannon and he wanted to have someone he keep in line and control.