PDA

View Full Version : I Wanted to Cry

NJGIRL
04-20-2012, 12:48 PM
When I first heard that they were making A Dark Shadows movie I was thrilled. :woohoo: I remember watching the TV show reruns when I was a little kid. I loved them so much I have DVD's of the show that I watch now. I had such high expectations!

Then I heard that Johnny Depp was playing Barnabas and my heart sank. :down: I don't mind him as an actor when he plays "normal" people but I think he turns his other roles into cartoon characters. My all time favorite movie was Willie Wonka. When he did the remake he ruined it for me. Sorry I know he has fans out there but I am not one of them. I was still hoping for the best with this new movie, but then......................................

I saw the commercial for the movie and just wanted to cry. :fit: He has turned a character I love, once again, into a joke. It's another Pirates of the Carribean, Willie Wonka and Alice in Wonderland all over again. I won't be seeing this movie, it looks aweful and it didn't have to be that way if they would have done the casting (and maybe even the writing) better.

SBETigg
04-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Well, but it is Tim Burton and this is what he does. If it had been a different director, it would have been a different Dark Shadows remake. I have no idea of the original, so the campy comedy take on it looks good to me, but I can see how fans of the original would be disappointed with a farcical remake over a more serious attempt.

DVC2004
04-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I know many people will disagree with me but I just do not care for Tim Burton's work. For the most part. I was disappointed, too, when I saw the commercial for Dark Shadows. :(

disneymom15
04-20-2012, 02:02 PM
I loved Johnny Depp in "Pirates", but had no interest in seeing him in "Alice" or "Willy Wonka". However, I think I'll probably go to see him in "Dark Shadows". I don't really remember anything about the original series, so don't know what to expect.

Carol
04-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Cannot wait for this movie. I love both Tim Burton and Johnny Depp.

(For what it's worth - I watched the original Dark Shadows too.)

Dopey's Girl
04-20-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm with you on the Willy Wonka 100%. I have seen about 10 mins of his performance and returned the DVD. He was just creepy. It made me really uncomfortable. You don't get better than Gene Wilder for that role.

I'm not a Tim Burton fan either. His work is just too strange for me.

Auntie B
04-20-2012, 02:22 PM
I love Johnny Depp. Loved him as Captain Jack. Really did not like his version of Willy Wonka - the original is sooooo much better. Tim Burton always has "interesting" takes on his movies, so will have to see what Dark Shadows is like.

Ms. Mode
04-20-2012, 02:28 PM
We used to watch Dark Shadows every day when we came home from school; I got a great kick out of my DD telling me she and her fiance had rented it on Netflix and loved it.

We saw the trailer at the movie theater earlier in the month. At first I thought "Oh NO!" but as the trailer continued it looked kinda funny. I'll be going to see it...just because it's making fun of something I watched as a kid. :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
04-20-2012, 05:19 PM
I have had no prior exposure to Dark Shadows, so wasn't aware it was a re-make... but I love, LOVE Johnny, and was really excited to see the preview.

I'm not a Tim Burton fan, either... didn't really care for Nightmare that much (:faint: - although I LOVE what they've mixed in to Hallowishes... ;) ) and didn't enjoy his version of Alice, except for watching Johnny.

But this movie seems a bit different than his other weirdness (maybe mostly b/c I've never seen Dark Shadows before, can't see how "off" it is from the original) so I'm intrigued by it... and of course, there's the whole Johnny factor. :cloud9:

The only thing I WILL say is that it seems Johnny brings the same personality to his characters lately (didn't see Barber of Seville, think that was probably a step out of the box) and I find that interesting. I used to think he created a unique character in Jack Sparrow -- but now I see Jack in so much of what he does, I can't help but wonder if Jack is more Johnny than Jack, and that is why "he" shows up in The Mad Hatter, Barnabas, etc.

Anyway... just my take and my :twocents:... not sure what I'm going to think of this newest movie, but going to give it a go. Thinking I'm glad I WASN'T exposed to Dark Shadows earlier!!

NJGIRL
04-20-2012, 06:18 PM
We saw the trailer at the movie theater earlier in the month. At first I thought "Oh NO!" but as the trailer continued it looked kinda funny.

That's the thing that is bothering me the most. Dark Shadows was not funny in a haha way that the trailer makes the new movie look. It's not so much them making fun of a show that I loved, but more that I was looking forward to an updated version of the old TV show.

As as Blythe mentions, I agree that all of Depp's characters kind of run together and seem to be the same.

To me this is like re-making a Hitchock film like Rear Window and putting a laugh track in. It's just wrong.

Katzateer
04-21-2012, 08:42 AM
I think the new Dark Shadows looks like it will be great! I did not watch the original series every show but did see it.

I am not a big fan of Burton and I did not like Depp in Willy Wonka. Loved him in the first few Pirate movies but got a little tired of his character by the time the last movie came out.

Probably won't spend the money to see it in theatres-will wait for the DVD. I am getting to the point I hate to spend the $$$$ unless it is a movie that begs to be seen on the big screen (like Harry Potter).

NJGIRL
04-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I am getting to the point I hate to spend the $$$$ unless it is a movie that begs to be seen on the big screen (like Harry Potter).

I agree with you on this. So many times in the last 10 years I have left the theater and felt that I wasted my money. The quality of movies is just not there anymore IMO. I think it is because these studios rush to put out too many movies, instead of being more picky about their choices. When I was a teen going to the movies I just remember a handful of movies at a time being out and the same movies would be out for weeks. Now you have the choice of 20 or more movies at a time, but most don't even interest me.

I think alot of people feel the same way as we do. I saw last year on TV that in the last 5 years attendance at the theater has been going down. They haven't lost too much money because they keep raising the ticket prices so don't fear the Hollywood actors won't starve. :thumbsup:

Melanie
04-21-2012, 09:47 AM
I agree with you on the Johnny thing Rita. I have no desire to see this film, but I have to say I didn't watch the original either. It's just Johnny and Burton together that I don't care for.

SBETigg
04-21-2012, 01:07 PM
I agree with you on the Johnny thing Rita. I have no desire to see this film, but I have to say I didn't watch the original either. It's just Johnny and Burton together that I don't care for.

I hated their Willy Wonka version, too. They are a fairly indulgent duo when they work together. Helena Bonham Carter said that Tim always reins her in when she starts to get over the top but he lets Johnny roll with it. I think that might be part of the problem. Sometimes it works for me, and sometimes it really goes wrong.

MNNHFLTX
04-21-2012, 05:15 PM
I totally remember watching Dark Shadows when I was a kid. For those who don't know, it was not a regular TV series, per se, but a afternoon gothic soap opera. Weird for that era!!

That said, I'm not sure what to think about this new movie. While I'm not adverse to a movie version of the show, the level of campiness suggested by the trailer is a turn-off to me. It would be like taking General Hospital (the only soap that I watch that's still on television) and turning it into a cartoon. However, I have heard that the actual movie is supposed to be darker and more complex that it appears in the trailer, so we'll see.

I agree that Johnny Depp tends to play the same character in every role lately--just changing the costume and a few basic mannerisms. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great actor, but I'd like to seem him play the role of Barnabas Collins more like a real person (if that makes sense) and less like a cartoon character. But then, it wouldn't be a Tim Burton production, I guess. :shrug:

MNNHFLTX
04-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Oh, and I wanted to comment on the fact that the Dark Shadows movie was the last film appearance by Jonathan Frid, who played Barnabas Collins in the original, which is kind of a cool thing. (He passed away this past Friday the 13th.)

NJGIRL
04-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Oh, and I wanted to comment on the fact that the Dark Shadows movie was the last film appearance by Jonathan Frid, who played Barnabas Collins in the original, which is kind of a cool thing. (He passed away this past Friday the 13th.)

OMG Beth I didn't know that he died last week. So sad.

NJGIRL
04-21-2012, 09:39 PM
While I'm not adverse to a movie version of the show, the level of campiness suggested by the trailer is a turn-off to me. It would be like taking General Hospital (the only soap that I watch that's still on television) and turning it into a cartoon.

I'd like to seem him play the role of Barnabas Collins more like a real person (if that makes sense) and less like a cartoon character.

This is exactly how I feel. And I do know what you mean by a "real person" instead of the cartoon character.

badkitty
04-22-2012, 12:18 AM
I am a huge fan of the original. From what I can tell from the trailer, it isn't an actual re-make. It is more like a continuation of the story similar to what they did for Alice. At least that is what it looks like to me.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-24-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm aware of the old series but have never watched it. Am ready for this movie--love me some Johnny/Jack/Johnny! :blush:

DisneyDog
05-02-2012, 05:47 PM
For me, it's more that I will see anything with Helena Bonham Carter in it. I think she is brilliant. And, I loooved them both in Sweeney Todd.