PDA

View Full Version : crazy for going on the 4th and where to go?

angyl15
04-19-2012, 09:13 AM
My husband, 2 boys (3.5 and 1.5) and I are going to Sarasota the week after the 4th of July. My 3.5 year old loves disneyworld and is at such a sweet age we are considering flying down on 7/3, staying at wdw through 7/7 and then renting a car and driving down to sarasota.

Are we crazy to even consider going to week of the 4th. We are typically at Disney 1-2 times a year so we definitely do not have the "need to see and do everything" attitude. We are thinking of staying on-site and really only going to Disney studios and MK. The rest of the time we will do character meals and pool-time. Which resort would you recommend based on the crowds. Based on the summer special we were leaning towards Grand Floridian, AKL or Beach Club.

I guess my question comes down to, if the parks are crazy, is the transportation crazy too? If all the transportation is going to be a long wait, we will just save the money and stay at SSR or Coronado Springs.

BugeyedMuggy
04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
We went down last 4th for almost 2 weeks. We stayed at the Dolphin and on the 4th to avoid being in the parks we watched the special Studios fireworks (not Fantasmic) from the walkway between HS and Boardwalk. Great view and no crowds. There are lots of tour groups so go in the direction of a ride without a flag heading to it. Also being at the park for rope drop helps alot and go back to the resort for a rest midday.

dnickels
04-19-2012, 09:48 AM
With a 3.5 year old and a 1.5 year old I don't think that I'd want anything to do with the parks on 4th of July week. A stroller + peak crowd buses/monorails/parks just seems like it would be a recipe for more aggravation than fun and relaxation.

vicster
04-19-2012, 10:17 AM
We went to the MK one year on the 4th even though one of the cast members told us not to. What a nightmare. They closed the gates around 3:00 because the park was filled to capacity. There was a lightening/rain storm right before the fireworks were to start and it was scary with all the people trying to get out of the park or seek shelter.

DonaldDuckUSA
04-19-2012, 10:44 AM
They closed the gates around 3:00 because the park was filled to capacity. There was a lightening/rain storm right before the fireworks were to start and it was scary with all the people trying to get out of the park or seek shelter.

Yikes! That sounds scary! I was only in a park during full capacity once (as a child) and I will never do that again. It didn't fill up until the evening...I can only imagine it at that level at 3 PM!

Is EPCOT doing anything special for the 4th? If you're only staying for a day and are not in a rush to see much, this park may be a good option. Even if its crowded it still feels more open and comfortable. I like those wide walk ways! MK sounds too stressful.

If you can get into a monorail resort you can always watch Wishes from your hotel. Or just go to a hotel to watch them!

Have fun!

DizneyRox
04-19-2012, 11:45 AM
I used to go to the parks over the 4th for years, just stopped when vacation value dropped below acceptable limits.

As long as you're prepared for the crowds, it's not bad at all, even went with a 1.2 year old without a problem.

Drink lots of water, stay out of the sun between about noon and 2 and you're golden.

Epcot on the 4th is the better of the parks to be in. It holds crowds way better than any other park. It WILL rain, so be prepared.

KarenP
04-19-2012, 02:21 PM
My family has been to WDW several times over 4th of July and we love it. The fireworks are spectacular. My choice would be Grand Floridian just because of the monorail access.

Disney4
04-19-2012, 05:53 PM
We went last year for the 4th. I am used to huge crowds. Being from Chicago, which until recently had a 3rd of July celebration on the lakefront that drew 1 million + to the event, I always adopt the attitude that you just go with the flow and not panic.

On the 3rd, MK was JAMMED. We took refuge in front of Crystal Palace for the fireworks, made friends with those around us and made sure the kids were safe and could see the spectacle.

There was plenty of frustrated visitors and bad behavior from people who felt their vacation experience was far more important that anyone elses! :mad: People were climbing over railings and trampling the lanscaping. Castmembers had no control over the situation.

Don't expect to get to do much other than eat and watch fireworks and you won't be disappointed. Expect it to take hours to get out of the park. If you want lower crowds, go to Epcot (That's where we were on the 4th).

After the holiday, the crowds thinned to typical summer levels.

mechanic
04-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Been there for fourth of July 5 times in last 12 years. Enjoyed it very much. Did lots of my favorite things. Potc, hm, cop, hallpres, etc.
4th is very busy but a day either side just another summer day. We never fight crowd to get out. Usual strategy is head toward back catch a ride or two if possible. Shop a little and get a Dole whip sit down and people watch a while. (Might not work with the little ones).
One time we weren't in the Parks on fourth but we could fireworks going off in three different directions. Can't remember where we were tho.

Rosemickey68
04-21-2012, 01:03 AM
We have gone to WDW the week of July 4th and it was fun! As far as transportation, we had not trouble at all...of course we went to EPCOT when it first opened and didn't leave until after illuminations. The parks are VERY crowded on July 3rd and 4th. We went to MK on July 3rd and the crowds were manageable until right before the firework show and then the crowd was shoulder to shoulder. It was still alot of fun! We went to EPCOT for July 4th...there were alot of people there, however you don't notice it as much since it is more open and spacious. I recommend EPCOT for July 4th and the extra add on to illuminations is awesome if you haven't seen it! We were in the American area during illuminations which I highly recommend as you can't beat it for that show! Whichever park you choose to go to on those days, make sure you don't leave because they fill up to capacity and you may not get back in. Just be prepared for humidity and heat...drink lots of fluids, do the inside rides during the heat of the day, take your time and enjoy everything and you will have a great time!:mickey:

BrerSchultzy
04-21-2012, 03:20 AM
We have been there several times for July 4th, and had a great time! The only time we had any problems, we were staying at Shades of Green, and had driven to AK. Trying to get back, it took us almost 2 hours to go from the MK parking booths to SoG, because cars and busses are jammed trying to get into Poly at that time. Any busses headed to MK also get caught up in the gridlock.
If you are absolutely set on going to MK on July 4th, get there early, and plan on staying late. Or, go over to the Contemporary about an hour before the fireworks, watch them from there, then hit the resort monorail back to TTC.

Kairi_7378
04-21-2012, 06:37 PM
My friend took her three kids (5 and 3-year-old twins) over the 4th of July last year. It was their first trip. They had a wonderful time. And my friend is not a "park" person at all.

andmomlau
04-23-2012, 09:02 PM
We are tried and true Disney fans and have always gone during peak summer hours. Last July, like you, we were going to Naples for a week and t the last minute decided to fly into Orlando on the morning of July 4th for 3 nights before driving to Naples. We first headed to Epcot and the crowds were minimal. There is a wonderful, patriotic show at the American pavilion. I really wanted to be in MK for fireworks and I was afraid they would close it if they got to capacity, so we left Epcot and headed over to MK. OMG!! Just the 2 of us, no kids, and I thought the crowds, especially at fireworks time, we're paralyzingl! From the gates to the castle, entire width of Main Street, you could not move! I thought it was terrifying! And the transportation...although it was organized, the CM told us its the absolute worst day of the year, other than NYE! The wait for buses to POR was easily 1 1/2 hours. We have friends who go for the 4th and they watch the fireworks from the walkway in front of Contemporary. Good luck! If we go again at that time, we'd arrive on the 5th!