PDA

View Full Version : Disney's ‘NextGen’ plan is expected cut wait times for rides and more

Scar
04-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Disney's ‘NextGen’ plan is expected cut wait times for rides and more

By Mary Quinn O'Connor
Published April 18, 2012
FoxNews.com

If you've ever been to Walt Disney World you know that planning is key and long lines can just about ruin your trip.

But image if you could book appointment times for your rides, meetings with Disney characters and other popular park attractions months before your vacation.

This isn't some fantasy land, but part of a high-tech reality being introduced across Disney theme parks as part of a billion-dollar project dubbed “NextGen.”

Details of the plan emerged in February 2011 when Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs announced some major changes at an investors' conference.

“Guests will be able to reserve times for their favorite attractions and character interactions…secure seats at our shows and spectaculars…make dining reservations…and pre-book many other favorite guest experiences -- all before even leaving their house," Staggs said.

Since then, Disney has remained quiet about the project -- even its existence.

“I can’t confirm nor deny it,” said Disney representative Marilyn Waters when FoxNews.com asked her about the NextGen project.

But the blogosphere has been rife with NextGen particulars from those who say they have details of the plan.

Entertainment blogger Jim Hill and editor of JimHillMedia.com, told FoxNews.com that he learned many intricate details of the project after someone at the “executive level in Burbank” showed Hill a PowerPoint presentation prepared for Walt Disney International President Bob Iger on the progress of the company’s NextGen initiatives.

According to Hill, one major initiative of NextGen focuses on what is being called an xPASS, which would allow guests to book rides weeks or months in advance. Here’s how Hill says it will work: Visitors planning their trip would go on the xPASS website and use the free service which allows you to reserve experiences, including ride times, exclusive meet-and-greets with Disney characters, even viewing spots for the nightly fireworks. The xPASS system would also help to avoid lines at restaurants by ordering food in advance.

“This xPASS/NextGen effort is going to fundamentally change how people visit the Disney parks,” said Hill.

Currently, Disney’s line-skipping system called FastPass allows guests to book a time for an attraction, leave to do other things, and return at an allotted time. Last month, Disney began enforcing return times, which many Disney watchers saw as the first step to the implementation of the xPASS system.

Another expected aspect of the plan is the use of a wrist bands embedded with radio-frequency identification microchips, or RFID, that reads your identity and acts as your ticket. Disney is already experimenting with RFID technology, for example, at Epcot Center. But the the NextGen wrist band concept is expected to go further. It’s believed that guests would provide information -- such as their names, credit card information and favorite attractions -- ahead of their arrival. After they enter at the park, the RFID would interact with sensors deployed throughout Disney’s resorts and trigger interactive features. So for example, an attraction may greet you and your family and call you by name.

Some have raised questions about privacy and what type of information Disney may require, while others say late bookers may not have access to many of the more popular attractions.

But Scott Smith, a former Disney employee who now teaches theme park management at the University of Central Florida, told DisneyDispatch that NextGen's goal is to eliminate the wait time, streamline the experience for guests --and more importantly for Disney to make money.

“Disney is a business, bottom line driven, and what they want to do with the wrist bands is make it easier for resort guests to spend money. It's almost like a Club Med situation: it's easier for you to spend money if you don't actually have to take the cash out of your wallet. All you have to do is swipe your wrist,” says Smith.

While it is unclear when xPASS or other NextGen features will be unveiled (some say as early as 2013), some who follow Disney theme parks say it will completely change people's theme park experience.

“It’s exciting,” said Disney blogger Ricky Brigante, editor of Inside the Magic. “Any way of taking a Disney theme park experience and making it individual and more memorable, I can’t see anything wrong with that.”

Travel writer and consultant Sandra Halket says Disney travel agencies are already preparing for the project to launch, as Disney fans and potential guests call and ask when they will see this.

“People really love the fact that we can give them tips prior so this would just take that to a next level because everything is done before you leave home,” said Halket.

Stu29573
04-18-2012, 01:30 PM
I saw this and my first thought was "spin doctoring." My second thought was "can't work." My third thought was "I'll pass..."

I could write a book about why this isn't the sort of Disney experience I ever want, but I think other than this post, I'll just protest in silence.

Done.

SBETigg
04-18-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm intrigued. There are things about it that sound great, and things that sound awful. The privacy issue came to mind immediately. But then, don't they already have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing in the parks with Fastpass and charging to the room? So not really a problem. Being scheduled to the minute is a problem, though, and I can imagine the guest confusion.

How many people already don't understand the FastPass system? I think I run into people who don't get it on every trip. So now this new system comes out and I imagine chaos until people get used to it, learn about it, and know. And so many travelers still don't even know they have to make ADRs in advance, so how will this impact the average visitor? The first timer? I'm going to be optimistic until I see how it works out. I think the main thing to remember is that there's probably always going to be the standby line and it's an option for people who don't want to be scheduled in advance, even if it means more waiting.

Quadstriker
04-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Get ready for the overreactions!

Here's going to be a few of them.

"OMG if I lose my RFID bracelet someone can use it to empty my bank account!!!!!1111"
No. Disney is not stupid. There will be security measures of some sort.

"OMG! Now I have to plan my whole vacation before I even gooooooooo!!!!!11111"
Doubtful. My guess is that you'll have the ability to preschedule like maybe 2 rides per family per day.

"OMG! I hate change! THIS ISN'T WALT'S VISION!!!11111 I have a family of eleventyone children and it's not easy to get to disney and after all that time I'm entitled to do whatever I want whenever I want without regards for other people's time or money being just as important as my own waaaaaaaaahhhh I'm spending my vacation dollars elsewhere"
Deal with it.

It'll be fine.

Stu29573
04-18-2012, 02:43 PM

"OMG if I lose my RFID bracelet someone can use it to empty my bank account!!!!!1111"

Doubtful. My guess is that you'll have the ability to preschedule like maybe 2 rides per family per day.

"OMG! I hate change! THIS ISN'T WALT'S VISION!!!11111 I have a family of eleventyone children and it's not easy to get to disney and after all that time I'm entitled to do whatever I want whenever I want without regards for other people's time or money being just as important as my own waaaaaaaaahhhh I'm spending my vacation dollars elsewhere"
Deal with it.

It'll be fine.

Wow. So if we dont like it we should shut up and sit down? Now who is being closed minded?

Quadstriker
04-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Considering all that we have is hearsay and conjecture with so few facts that speculating on its implimentation is pure guesswork at this point, getting all up in arms about it would be jumping the gun a little. We don't have enough facts to know if we will like it or not. Hence the tounge-in-cheek post about forthcoming overreactions.

Stu29573
04-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Considering all that we have is hearsay and conjecture with so few facts that speculating on its implimentation is pure guesswork at this point, getting all up in arms about it would be jumping the gun a little, don't you think?

And since I didn't say anything about anyone being closed-minded, I'm not sure why you decided to direct that comment at me.

Because your comments seemed to indicate that people that wished to express reservations about the reported changes were being closed minded. If that was not your intent, Im sorry.
However, as this is a public forum, I will exercise my right to say what concerns me regardless of what you may consider as " jumping the gun." It may well be, but your rude and insulting response certainly did nothing to encourage civil discourse on my part. Please weigh your words more carefully. Thanks!

Quadstriker
04-18-2012, 03:16 PM
It was intended to be funny. Not mean.

You know how it gets around here sometimes.

Small rumor. Little info. Big explosion.

Discussing reservations about proposed ideas is great and is completely different than the "flying off the handle attitude" I was poking fun at - one which nobody had displayed in this thread anyway.

Everyone take a deep breath.

It'll be ok.

disneymom15
04-18-2012, 03:21 PM
I actually like the idea of being able to reserve a ride time. Example: knowing we wouldn't have to rush over to DHS to get a fast pass for TSM would be great. I think they would need to put a limit on how many ride reservations you can aquire on a daily basis.

Stu29573
04-18-2012, 03:22 PM
It was intended to be funny. Not mean.

You know how it gets around here sometimes.

Small rumor. Little info. Big explosion.

Discussing reservations about proposed ideas is great and is completely different than the "flying off the handle attitude" I was poking fun at - one which nobody had displayed in this thread anyway.

Everyone take a deep breath.

It'll be ok.
Deep breath taken. Sometimes its hard to read humor in written form. I understand, and actually agree to some degree. However, Im still a bit worried. Fingers crossed!

Quadstriker
04-18-2012, 03:36 PM
I actually like the idea of being able to reserve a ride time. Example: knowing we wouldn't have to rush over to DHS to get a fast pass for TSM would be great. I think they would need to put a limit on how many ride reservations you can aquire on a daily basis.

I'm all about reserving a ride time as long as you have to do it THAT DAY.

I hope they're working on something like this:

Walk in the park.
Pop open your disney smartphone app - which will use GPS to see that you're in the park.
Click on the ride you want.
Reserve a time.
Max 2 ride reservations per account per day. Your account is linked to your room reservation with a code or whatever.

Bing Bang Blaow. Enjoy your day.

Or even simpler. Just use a smartphone app for fastpass. Download your fastpass without having to walk over to the ride itself. At the ride hold it up to be scanned by a CM. Bing Bang Blaow again.

Have some kiosks around the parks for the 8 visitors who don't have at least one person with a smartphone in their group.

I really don't think it needs to get more complicated than that. I'm in agreement that this reserving stuff before leaving for vacation is more of a hassle and shouldn't be the direction this whole thing goes. I'm in the "Let the vacation evolve as the vacation evolves" camp. Making ADRs is as far as I want to go. I don't even like making those, but I don't think there's any way around that.

MizMissy
04-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Sigh. As if I don't already stress enough when planning a trip.

SBETigg
04-18-2012, 03:59 PM
I wonder if they will have a lot of booking and not showing up. Or, if there's a plan in place to help prevent that.

Wolf
04-18-2012, 04:07 PM

Deal with it.

It'll be fine.

This made me giggle, I <3 this alot! Its totally true, I read it thought "Omg this sounds awful" then thought, eh whatever I'll still get my dole whip either way. Works for me as long as I can be in the World, don't much care past that. Maybe I'm becoming zen in my old age (25)

AgentC
04-18-2012, 04:17 PM
This made me giggle, I <3 this alot! Its totally true, I read it thought "Omg this sounds awful" then thought, eh whatever I'll still get my dole whip either way.

Hmm. If they could manage to hand me my Dole Whip as I walked by, I might be in. :D

DizneyRox
04-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Oh, missed the part about this coming from Jim Hill on the first read through...

We'll wait and see...

Aurora
04-18-2012, 06:04 PM
The FoxNews story strikes me funny. It's like the writer decided to get on one of the Internet boards, found out about this, and decided it was news. There was not one new piece of information; just regurgitations of old conjectures.

Wish there was something new about it. I read through the whole thing hoping there was some kind of announcement. :shrug:

goofy89
04-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I won't really worry until something is officially announced, I really hope it does not come down to scheduling ride times months in advance. Same day would be fine but I stress enough about planning my ADR's. I don't want to have to start pre-planning my ride times, I like to just go with the flow when I'm on vacation.

Ian
04-18-2012, 10:02 PM
I still hate this idea.

DizneyFreak2002
04-19-2012, 02:44 AM
I won't really worry until something is officially announced, I really hope it does not come down to scheduling ride times months in advance. Same day would be fine but I stress enough about planning my ADR's. I don't want to have to start pre-planning my ride times, I like to just go with the flow when I'm on vacation.

Tom Staggs as already announced it... I don't recall if this was talked about at last year's stock holder meeting or during one of those media events... D23 maybe??? I don't recall.. But I do remember him talking about this and making it official..

This is costing over a billion dollars to implement over the next several years... While they disguise it as a way to improve guest satisfaction and improve guest enjoyment, it is really just a way to track you... This is Disney's attempt to classify their guests depending on how much you spend, IE line their pockets... A single male who spends $300 is worth nothing to the company as compared to a family of 4 who spends $3000... And they will be able to then advertise to you according to your spending habits to pry more money out of your pocket... Yes, they try to do it now, but you aren't tracked... With this RFID, you will be... This isn't about guest satisfaction... This is about bottom line..

At least they were honest... Basically, Scott Smith confirms Disney doesn't care about you, the guests... All they are worried about is the bottom line.. And this is why we need to stpo giving TDO our business... I mean, they have proven they don't care about you, the guests and fans already.. But people continue to refuse to accept it...

People, it really is time for you to spend your vacation dollars elsewhere and stop giving it to these imbeciles running WDW...

GAN
04-19-2012, 05:08 AM
At first glance, without knowing what the final product will be like, I must say it doesn't interest me. I'm just glad I'm past the point where I need to worry about what attractions I need to hit or what park I need to be at on a particular day. But when they say, “This xPASS/NextGen effort is going to fundamentally change how people visit the Disney parks” -I read that as "is anyone going to want to visit the parks anymore?" While everyone may not agree, many believe they've already ruined Dining in the World with the dining plans -will this be what the "Next" refers to in 'NextGen'?

eandrsmom
04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
My husband called me this morning, freaking out about the article on the Fox news website. He knows that I'm a Type A Disney planner, waiting up until midnight to get CRT reservations online 180 days out. ADR's have changed the way we tour the parks. His feathers were ruffled, thinking that Disney wanted to track and have us preplan every aspect of our vacation. I can imagine that if this isn't handled correctly from a P.R. standpoint, it will turn a lot of people off. I told him to relax, we'd deal with the changes as they come.

BrerGnat
04-19-2012, 11:20 AM
At least they were honest... Basically, Scott Smith confirms Disney doesn't care about you, the guests... All they are worried about is the bottom line.. And this is why we need to stpo giving TDO our business... I mean, they have proven they don't care about you, the guests and fans already.. But people continue to refuse to accept it...

People, it really is time for you to spend your vacation dollars elsewhere and stop giving it to these imbeciles running WDW...

You are certainly free to choose to stop giving Disney your money. Free world, and all that.

However, it's really not your place to tell others that your way of thinking is right, everyone else is wrong, and we should all blindly follow your advice.

I still feel like when I visit Disney parks, they generally care how my experience is. I enjoy my time there, my kids have fun, and I want to go back. I honestly don't care about the office politics that go on behind the scenes at TDO or Glendale. I don't care that they are interested in the "bottom line." Of course they are, they are a HUGE conglomerate. I am not so needy nor self centered that I feel like Disney owes me anything in the way of PERSONALLY making sure that every aspect of my experience is to my liking and satisfaction. That is impossible.

If I have a negative experience with any particular aspect of any vacation, Disney or otherwise, I learn from it, and avoid whatever it was in the future. I won't continue to patronize a place or service that I feel is not a good value (to ME) for the experience. However, I am more concerned with the big picture than the little insignificant details that seem to bother so many Disney fans. I don't care if there are light bulbs burned out here and there, or if God forbid, there is piece of trash on Main Street (oh, the horror). So what? All I care about is: Did I have fun today? Did my family have fun? Do we all want to come back again? Was this day/experience what we expected for the price we paid? I have yet to answer "no" to any of these questions at a Disney park so far.

Here's a good example of how I have applied this to my everyday life:

I HATE Wal Mart. Have had horrible experiences there over the years. I just won't go there anymore. It's been a good 5+ years since I've stepped foot in one. Of course, the prices are lower, but I have a much better overall experience at:

Target. I love Target. I got there twice a week, at least. I might spend more money, but overall, the value is there for us.

Target gets my money. Wal Mart doesn't. Simple as that.

In the theme park world: Six Flags no longer gets my money. Disney and Universal do. Bottom line. It will stay this way until something happens to change my mind.

Back ON TOPIC:

The one thing that bothers me about this is the WRISTBANDS. I hate wristbands. I don't really like wearing anything on my wrists, because I have super sensitive skin and always end up itchy there. Don't even wear a watch most of the time. I hope they can incorporate this RFID into the existing KTTW cards, and NOT use wristbands.

Ian
04-19-2012, 11:27 AM
The one thing that bothers me about this is the WRISTBANDS. I hate wristbands. I don't really like wearing anything on my wrists, because I have super sensitive skin and always end up itchy there. Don't even wear a watch most of the time. I hope they can incorporate this RFID into the existing KTTW cards, and NOT use wristbands.I agree with the sum total of your comments, Nat ... to this point, although I don't like the direction TDO has taken things in WDW, I still go because we still ultimately have a great time with the family there. If it ever gets to the point where the bad outweighs the good, we'll stop going. It's as simple as that.

But on the specific point about the wristbands, I'm a lot more concerned about the fact that Disney thinks it's a good idea for me to walk around the parks with a RFID wristband emitting my credit card number out to anyone who wants to pirate it!

ChipNDale79
04-19-2012, 11:40 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Disney moves to a system where rides can be reserved months in advance, count us out. We'll take our boys just to say they've been to WDW, but we'll take the majority of our vacations elsewhere.

I'm ok with reserving a ride the same day, but planning out what ride you want to ride months in advance is a complete joke. That does not sound like a vacation to me.

FWIW, Disney is doing a horrible job with the publicity on this thing, there are so many negative thoughts and ideas about NextGen, yet Disney is keeping quite. They need to announce this thing and try to squash some of the negativity.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-19-2012, 11:47 AM
The one thing that bothers me about this is the WRISTBANDS. I hate wristbands. I don't really like wearing anything on my wrists, because I have super sensitive skin and always end up itchy there. Don't even wear a watch most of the time. I hope they can incorporate this RFID into the existing KTTW cards, and NOT use wristbands.

That would be what would bother me also. I have to be very careful with what materials I wear because I have sensitive skin. And you have children with sensory issues that cannot and will not wear something like a wrist band - They need to incorporate the RFID into the tickets and NOT into a freaking wrist band.

BrerGnat
04-19-2012, 11:57 AM
But on the specific point about the wristbands, I'm a lot more concerned about the fact that Disney thinks it's a good idea for me to walk around the parks with a RFID wristband emitting my credit card number out to anyone who wants to pirate it!

Well, yeah, there's that too.

Although, I am extremely vigilant about my credit cards. I only really use one for the "everyday" and we use a separate one on vacations, with NO other activity on it. I check all my accounts daily to verify the accuracy of charges. What I like about Disney trips is that my KTTW card doesn't have my actual credit card number on it, it's just linked to my room reservation. I'm paranoid after having my credit card numbers stolen twice in the past 10 years. Luckily, my card companies don't hold me responsible for any unauthorized charges.

As long as they keep it this way for the RFID "wave and pay" thing, that's fine. If it's just linking to my room account anyway, someone with an RFID information stealing device would get nowhere, really.

Wolf
04-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Tom Staggs as already announced it... I don't recall if this was talked about at last year's stock holder meeting or during one of those media events... D23 maybe??? I don't recall.. But I do remember him talking about this and making it official..

This is costing over a billion dollars to implement over the next several years... While they disguise it as a way to improve guest satisfaction and improve guest enjoyment, it is really just a way to track you... This is Disney's attempt to classify their guests depending on how much you spend, IE line their pockets... A single male who spends $300 is worth nothing to the company as compared to a family of 4 who spends $3000... And they will be able to then advertise to you according to your spending habits to pry more money out of your pocket... Yes, they try to do it now, but you aren't tracked... With this RFID, you will be... This isn't about guest satisfaction... This is about bottom line..

Wow dude...

Goofster
04-19-2012, 12:53 PM
That would be what would bother me also. I have to be very careful with what materials I wear because I have sensitive skin. And you have children with sensory issues that cannot and will not wear something like a wrist band - They need to incorporate the RFID into the tickets and NOT into a freaking wrist band.

My hunch is that you'll get a choice between wristbands, your KTTW card or something you could hook on a lanyard and hang around your neck. I doubt they'll require everyone to wear a wristband, especially young kids that could just take the thing off and throw it on the ground.

Ian
04-19-2012, 01:54 PM
As long as they keep it this way for the RFID "wave and pay" thing, that's fine. If it's just linking to my room account anyway, someone with an RFID information stealing device would get nowhere, really.Well ... not really. It would be easy potatoes for someone to steal your room account information, clone a wristband using that code, and then charge a bunch of stuff to your room.

It might not go directly onto your cc, but you'd still have a heck of a time cleaning that mess up at check-out.

Stu29573
04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Well ... not really. It would be easy potatoes for someone to steal your room account information, clone a wristband using that code, and then charge a bunch of stuff to your room.

It might not go directly onto your cc, but you'd still have a heck of a time cleaning that mess up at check-out.

This is exactly what I was thinking, Ian.

valjane
04-19-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm all about reserving a ride time as long as you have to do it THAT DAY.

I hope they're working on something like this:

Walk in the park.
Pop open your disney smartphone app - which will use GPS to see that you're in the park.
Click on the ride you want.
Reserve a time.
Max 2 ride reservations per account per day. Your account is linked to your room reservation with a code or whatever.

Bing Bang Blaow. Enjoy your day.

Or even simpler. Just use a smartphone app for fastpass. Download your fastpass without having to walk over to the ride itself. At the ride hold it up to be scanned by a CM. Bing Bang Blaow again.

Have some kiosks around the parks for the 8 visitors who don't have at least one person with a smartphone in their group.

I really don't think it needs to get more complicated than that. I'm in agreement that this reserving stuff before leaving for vacation is more of a hassle and shouldn't be the direction this whole thing goes. I'm in the "Let the vacation evolve as the vacation evolves" camp. Making ADRs is as far as I want to go. I don't even like making those, but I don't think there's any way around that.

So now I have to go out and buy a smartphone and data plan just to enjoy a vacation?

I think not.

Quadstriker
04-19-2012, 05:31 PM

:mickey:Thread sure didn't disappoint!:mickey:

Regarding wristbands - they could make it a card, put it on your refillable mug (uh oh THAT can of worms), give you a secret decoder ring, necklace, tie clip, mickey ears, tack it on to your key to the world, whatever. I wouldn't get married to the idea that whatever they're planning has to be a uncomfortable wristband.

Regarding security - I'm sure they have thought about this in many more ways than we can ever come up with. I'd be more concerned about the likelyhood of pickpockets or forgetting your keys at lunch.

BrerGnat
04-19-2012, 05:43 PM

The problem is, that's a lot of effort for minimal payoff. Criminals like that are not looking to steal your credit card number so they can buy up a bunch of merchandise junk at a Disney park. The two times I've had my numbers stolen, purchases were made online and they were for electronics equipment (a.k.a. stuff that's easy to offload on Ebay or whatever).

Not everyone links a credit card to their room key. And, there are charging limits in place for the different resort categories. A thief, at MAXIMUM, can only charge up $1500. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to do this using an RFID wristband before you or the hotel figured it out. And honestly, I have a feeling that Disney won't attach the charging privilege to the RFID wristband. Sure, you can probably use it to wave in front of your room key lock (apparently, this is happening at the AoA resort), and maybe to use your DDP credits, but I'd wager that's as far as it will go.

Ian
04-19-2012, 07:00 PM
The problem is, that's a lot of effort for minimal payoff. Criminals like that are not looking to steal your credit card number so they can buy up a bunch of merchandise junk at a Disney park. The two times I've had my numbers stolen, purchases were made online and they were for electronics equipment (a.k.a. stuff that's easy to offload on Ebay or whatever).

Not everyone links a credit card to their room key. And, there are charging limits in place for the different resort categories. A thief, at MAXIMUM, can only charge up $1500. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to do this using an RFID wristband before you or the hotel figured it out. And honestly, I have a feeling that Disney won't attach the charging privilege to the RFID wristband. Sure, you can probably use it to wave in front of your room key lock (apparently, this is happening at the AoA resort), and maybe to use your DDP credits, but I'd wager that's as far as it will go.Yeah good points ... there probably would be minimal interest in buying a bunch of burgers from Cosmic Ray's on someone else's room charge lol

Quadstriker
04-19-2012, 07:31 PM
True. Personally I pay someone every time I go to MK to keep burgers from Cosmic Ray's away from me.

CuteAsMinnie
04-19-2012, 08:02 PM
I still hate this idea.

Me too!

Main Street Jim
04-19-2012, 09:45 PM
*Sigh*....

Whatever happened to "spontaneity" when you're on "vacation"?

Booking character meet 'n greets "months in advance"?

Having to make a "ride reservation" before you even leave the house?

I'm curious as to how this will affect "normal" FastPass distribution and ride capacities.

Can you imagine not getting on Space Mountain on your "once-in-a-lifetime" trip because a) all the FastPasses for that day are gone; b) all of the "NextGen" reserved times are taken up, c) Standby wait time is 2 1/2 hours (I've personally seen it....LOL), and d) the ride breaks down *that day*?

Aurora
04-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Can you imagine not getting on Space Mountain on your "once-in-a-lifetime" trip because a) all the FastPasses for that day are gone; b) all of the "NextGen" reserved times are taken up, c) Standby wait time is 2 1/2 hours (I've personally seen it....LOL), and d) the ride breaks down *that day*?

I think this touches on the real reason people are so uncomfortable with the idea. If you're not an obsessive planner, you risk getting left out in the cold.

So when the "everyone please chill" people say stuff like, "well, if you don't like it, you don't have to use it," that's only true if you don't mind getting stuck with all the leftovers. I don't know many people who are willing to shell out thousands of dollars to be in that position.

I stopped signing my children up for some extracurricular camps and classes when I had to show up at 6 a.m. on registration day and stand in a two-hour line just to get my kid a spot. I can definitely see people giving up Disney vacations for the same reason.

BrerSchultzy
04-20-2012, 01:50 AM
So now I have to go out and buy a smartphone and data plan just to enjoy a vacation?

I think not.

Exactly! In fact, unless we're traveling with a group, we leave our phones in the car or in our room. We're on vacation after all, and up until 8 years ago, nobody could get in touch with me on vacation. Now, everybody looks at me funny for leaving my phone in the room.

I read this article and thought, when they get Test Track working for two days straight, or the Yeti working at all, then I'll have faith in them implementing all this stuff without any hitches.

Stu29573
04-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Exactly! In fact, unless we're traveling with a group, we leave our phones in the car or in our room. We're on vacation after all, and up until 8 years ago, nobody could get in touch with me on vacation. Now, everybody looks at me funny for leaving my phone in the room.

I read this article and thought, when they get Test Track working for two days straight, or the Yeti working at all, then I'll have faith in them implementing all this stuff without any hitches.

We ALWAYS leave the phones in our room. I don't want to be "connected" at Disney. I want to be a carefree kid again!

waymickey
04-20-2012, 10:10 AM
I think this touches on the real reason people are so uncomfortable with the idea. If you're not an obsessive planner, you risk getting left out in the cold.

So when the "everyone please chill" people say stuff like, "well, if you don't like it, you don't have to use it," that's only true if you don't mind getting stuck with all the leftovers. I don't know many people who are willing to shell out thousands of dollars to be in that position.

I can definitely see people giving up Disney vacations for the same reason.

I agree and as I read the post I am thinking that if this comes down the pike that I will probably decide to go elsewhere like the disney Cruise. Characters fun and no ADRS or ARR or ACR. Sun Fun and disney without the pre plan stress.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
04-20-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm curious as to how this will affect "normal" FastPass distribution and ride capacities.

My guess is that the advanced ride reservations on the NextGen system will entirely replace the FastPass system. In other words, I would think that once NextGen's advanced ride reservation system goes live, the FastPass system as we know it today will be no longer.

CAVEAT: This is NOT from any official Disney source. This is simply my own speculation.

Ian
04-20-2012, 01:13 PM
You know the more I see this discussed, the more I think there has to be more to this idea than what we're seeing. The response has been almost universally negative to what's out there ... there's gotta be something we're missing. I just refuse to believe that anyone wants to plan their vacation down to the minute 180 days before they even show up. I mean, there may be a few OCD-types out there, I guess, but the vast majority of people do not want that kind of rigidity built into their vacation.

Either there's more to this than meets the eye that makes the above a non-issue or TDO has wasted a billion dollars on something no one wants simply because they think it's "cool."

Quadstriker
04-20-2012, 01:53 PM
You know the more I see this discussed, the more I think there has to be more to this idea than what we're seeing.

I'd be willing to wager large amounts of money that there is. Unless people really think that they have all the facts and are making rational judgments here based on complete information.

People are worried about having to plan too much. That much is understandable.

But to fly off the handle about this at this point given the "information" available is laughable.

DizneyRox
04-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Sometimes, it's just someone pushing their agenda inside the organization. Fairly recently, we launched a new product, spearheaded by someone new to the company who knew he was right, and everyone else in the company was wrong. There were all sorts of project going on, IT work, outsourcing, et, all driven by this great idea.

Two years ago it went live, we have yet to sell even ONE. He just lost his job...

Let's hope...

I'm still disgusted by the mentality of these new MBA types.

Aurora
04-20-2012, 02:48 PM
You know the more I see this discussed, the more I think there has to be more to this idea than what we're seeing. The response has been almost universally negative to what's out there ... there's gotta be something we're missing. I just refuse to believe that anyone wants to plan their vacation down to the minute 180 days before they even show up. I mean, there may be a few OCD-types out there, I guess, but the vast majority of people do not want that kind of rigidity built into their vacation.

Either there's more to this than meets the eye that makes the above a non-issue or TDO has wasted a billion dollars on something no one wants simply because they think it's "cool."

Of course you may be right. When I first heard of the show on the castle featuring vacationers' photos I was underwhelmed, but when I saw the show in person I was blown away. It's possible they're spending all this money because "long lines" are one of guests' biggest complaints, and maybe they're trying to get it right with this one.

I'd be willing to wager large amounts of money that there is. Unless people really think that they have all the facts and are making rational judgments here based on complete information.

People are worried about having to plan too much. That much is understandable.

But to fly off the handle about this at this point given the "information" available is laughable.

Hmm. It has seemed to me to have been a really thoughtful discussion so far. :shrug:

ChipNDale79
04-20-2012, 03:47 PM

To me, this just shows how bad Disney is handling this. Because of how negative the perception is of this project, Disney needs to come out and say what this is. The longer they keep this thing close to the vest, the worse it's getting for them.

Right now the perception of Next Gen is so bad, disney fanatics are talking of not going to Disney as much as they have in the past, or not at all. Imagine if non disney fanatics got wind of this?

Disney needs to nip this thing in the bud, NOW.

If it truly is as bad as we are making it out to be, I can't see this working.

Quadstriker
04-20-2012, 04:17 PM
To me, this just shows how bad Disney is handling this. Because of how negative the perception is of this project, Disney needs to come out and say what this is. The longer they keep this thing close to the vest, the worse it's getting for them.

Yeah it's about time imo.

BrerGnat
04-20-2012, 04:47 PM
I agree that all the secretiveness about this is unnerving. Don't go announcing some huge innovative concept and then NOT explain how it will work.

My guess is that the majority of these "NextGen" features will be PAY PER USE. They would not be investing a billion dollars unless there was going to be the potential to MORE THAN RECOUP that investment directly. For those who don't want to pay, there will still be the old way. Disney has made it clear that FREE Fastpass will never go away.

A Big Kid
04-20-2012, 05:28 PM
I still hate this idea.
Yep. I do all strategic planning, organizing, coordinating, etc at work. Vacation is for relaxing.

BrowncatP
04-20-2012, 07:26 PM
I do plan on what park I will be in on what day of my vacation long before I am at WDW. I have NO idea what ride I am going on at what time until I am in the park. This idea is making me feel like we all will be robots in the parks. "I must go on POTC now due to my schedule." Oh, what fun!!:down:

Buttercup
04-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Sorry - I don't know if someone has already said this, but...

... in regards to this possibly being a simple smartphone app:

As a Canadian, I hate that idea. If I want to use my phone in the USA, I have to either
a) pay humongous roaming charges
b) hunt for wi-fi which doesn't exist at the parks and most resorts, or
c) buy a pre-paid travel data plan to the tune of about $75.00 before I leave for my trip

I mean, I know that WDW is in the USA and everything, but I really hope they don't forget the humongous percentage of their visitors that aren't from the States and therefore can't use those services.

I've been going to WDW since the late 70's. I'm a pretty easy-going, go-with-the-flow type of person. I make my dining ressies at 180 days because I find it fun to plan that out... I decide what park I'm going to be at each day because it needs to co-incide with my dining reservations... I use FastPass when needed. But this? This is going a little crazy. I can just see it now, arguing with my 4yo and 7yo kids who desperately want to go on Winnie The Pooh because there's no lineup... BUT NO! WE MUST WALK TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PARK TO GET ON THUNDER MOUNTAIN RIGHT NOW!!! And maybe Dad's got a headache and isn't up for riding Thunder Mountain right that minute... but he has to do it because it's been scheduled and he might not get another chance.

Blech. Doesn't sound fun to me as a Disney "Veteran", not to mention super confusing for the oodles of people who are "Newbies" and find planning a WDW vacation already too confusing! I think Ian once said on the Intercot Podcast: "Why is it that people need a PhD to plan a Disney Vacation anymore!"

BrerSchultzy
04-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Does anyone remember, toward the end of Michael Eisner's reign, he kept saying that we've seen the end of theme park rides as we know them. The company was going to focus on hour-long "experiences" (more akin to what eventually came from the Harry Potter experience in Universal). There was all kinds of hub-bub then, and it all kind of faded away. I'm starting to feel that this is the same situation, except now we have message boards, blogs and social media to keep the embers burning hot.

disneynarula
04-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Sorry - I don't know if someone has already said this, but...

... in regards to this possibly being a simple smartphone app:

As a Canadian, I hate that idea. If I want to use my phone in the USA, I have to either
a) pay humongous roaming charges
b) hunt for wi-fi which doesn't exist at the parks and most resorts, or
c) buy a pre-paid travel data plan to the tune of about $75.00 before I leave for my trip

I mean, I know that WDW is in the USA and everything, but I really hope they don't forget the humongous percentage of their visitors that aren't from the States and therefore can't use those services.

We are American but we live in Germany and this concerns me as well. We never use our phones when we travel in America. It is way too expensive. There are also people who still don't have smart phones.

I am hoping this is just a lot of hype sort of like the One More Disney Day silliness!

disneynarula
04-21-2012, 09:35 AM
As for me... it is not the planning aspect of it that bothers me so much but I am worried about what it might cost.

The extra money for their version of FastPass is the number one reason I am avoiding Universal this trip.

big blue and hairy
04-21-2012, 04:53 PM

I think not.

Well, that and be in the 21st century....:funny: :razz:

:sulley:

valjane
04-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Well, that and be in the 21st century....:funny: :razz:

Yeah yeah, true true. :blush:

I have an iPod Touch that will do the job if there's wifi around. Buying an iPhone just seems redundant right now.

big blue and hairy
04-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah yeah, true true. :blush:

I have an iPod Touch that will do the job if there's wifi around. Buying an iPhone just seems redundant right now.

Last time I was in WDW I got wi-fi in the Magic Kingdom. The Touch might work!

BrerGnat
04-22-2012, 08:35 AM

Well, it is redundant. There are other (better) smart phones. I have an ipod touch that is dying after 2 years. I needed a new smart phone too, almost got an iphone since I love my ipod, but went with a Samsung running Android. It's SO much better than iOS. I never use my ipod anymore. I gave it to my kids to play with...

You can't rely on wifi in the Disney parks. It's there, but VERY isolated and sporadic.

DizneyRox
04-22-2012, 12:11 PM
... went with a Samsung running Android. It's SO much better than iOS. I never use my ipod anymore. I gave it to my kids to play with...

I did the same thing with my Android tablet... Got a couple iPads for the adults in the house. :D

Buttercup
04-22-2012, 01:58 PM
That's a great link, WayMickey -- unfortunately it will probably be deleted by moderators soon because it's against Intercot's TOS. Maybe you should change your post to explain what people can google to find that article on their own.

I posted a comment on there about my concerns (having to schedule stuff way before my vacation, having to potentially pay for Fast Pass, and having an easily-accessible RFID chip out there for anyone to accidentally brush up against me and retrieve my credit card info). But I have to say, some of the other scenarios that were posted in that article do sound cool! I like the idea of the ride videos! I'd love to have a clear shot of my husband screaming on Rock N Rollercoaster! :)

SBETigg
04-22-2012, 02:24 PM
I posted a comment on there about my concerns (having to schedule stuff way before my vacation, having to potentially pay for Fast Pass, and having an easily-accessible RFID chip out there for anyone to accidentally brush up against me and retrieve my credit card info). But I have to say, some of the other scenarios that were posted in that article do sound cool! I like the idea of the ride videos! I'd love to have a clear shot of my husband screaming on Rock N Rollercoaster! :)

I had the opposite reaction. The more I read, the worse it seemed. I hate ride photos, not a fan of the photopass, and video on the rides, ack! More cameras to dodge. No thanks. Plus the vulnerability of the technology has me thinking Disney is going to have a new security nightmare brewing, prompting guest concerns and uneasiness. I'm not freaking out over it, but I see more potential problems the more I hear about it.

Plus, wristbands are such a pain. I'm not really sold on the ease of having it all on my wrist. I don't mind having it in my pocket and pulling it out as needed. Wearing something on my wrist all day will be irritating for me. And what happens with Fastpass? Everyone has to bring their wrist to the Fastpass station? Or the bracelets have to come on and off all day so one person can go get the FPs? Or, it's all scheduled in advance. I'll see how it goes, but not feeling very good about it at this point.

Ian
04-22-2012, 04:52 PM
I had the opposite reaction. The more I read, the worse it seemed.
Yep. That's how I felt, as well.

waymickey
04-22-2012, 05:40 PM
OK Sorry to the Intercot mods for breaking the rules with the link. :sad:

I googled disney nextgen and got a ton of hits. The one with pictures of the wristbands concepts was a link off of a touring site and it even showed wrist bands being used in the parks. I guess it is testing or just photo spot set up.

I also read that Disney is having problems because not enough people have a smartphone or want to bring it to the parks. Hence the reason for the wristbands.

Mousemates
04-23-2012, 09:44 AM
I had the opposite reaction. The more I read, the worse it seemed.

another :ditto:

DizneyFreak2002
04-23-2012, 11:22 AM
For those of you worried about smartphones and foreign data plans, if Jim Hill is to be believed (and that is a huge IF), Disney will make available smartphones for use (rental is probably more like it, what WDW not charge for something?????)... Which, if this is something they really want to implement, providing smart phones for guest use is the only normal thing to do...

MN_Rose
04-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm going to pipe up with what I hope is a slightly different perspective. My daughter and I love to sleep in on vacation and go to the parks later. So, we often miss Fastpasses for Soarin' and some of the other super-popular attractions. And with wait times of 90 minutes...well, there were several rides we just didn't go on last time we were there. To me it seems obvious that you won't HAVE to schedule all your rides, maybe just those you really want to ride and you know are hard to get on.

I have the WDW app on my iPhone and I love it, so I would love to have something that's tied into that, where I have everything in one place and I can wave a QR code in front of a reader and then confirm with a thumbprint or something. I know that because of the cards we have, they already know just about everything I do and buy at the parks, so I don't think there's a big hit to privacy.

Buttercup
04-23-2012, 04:13 PM
I don't think would be very fair to force people to rent phones in order to use some of the services they offer.
Everything else they rent right now (strollers, lockers, wheelchairs, etc.) are not needed in order to utilize the services of the park. They are available as a rental "courtesy" to guests who need them. But to essentially say "You MUST have an American cell phone to enjoy yourself at our parks." That's ridiculous. :ack:

Take it one step further: if I have to pay for the use of a US cell phone while at the parks, it better give me access to Twitter, Facebook, the internet, etc. as well! And who is going to teach people that are unfamiliar with smartphones how to use them? If my group wants to split up during the day, does that mean I have to rent several phones? Yikes. No thanks.

I know it's only speculation, but I mean really? Who would ever think that is a great idea (besides the bean counters at Disney)?

DizneyFreak2002
04-23-2012, 07:12 PM
I know it's only speculation, but I mean really? Who would ever think that is a great idea (besides the bean counters at Disney)?

I cut your post down, but I agree with you, believe it or not...

The ones who think this is a good idea are the MBAs who only are focused on money and bottom line thinking Disney hires instead of creative individuals who they used to hire... Oh, and of course the management team who are only concerned with raises and bonuses, and not giving guests more bang for the ever increase buck that has to be spent...

SBETigg
04-23-2012, 08:36 PM
As much as I don't love the things I've heard, I also don't think it's part of some nefarious plot to stick it to the people who pay to enjoy Disney parks. Yes, they are a business and of course they want to make money, which wouldn't be accomplished by alienating visitors. I'm sure the thinking behind it is the desire to stay cutting edge and to increase guest satisfaction which in turn would make them money. From here, now, it seems misguided, true enough, but I remain optimistic that my worries are misplaced.

WDW-Geek
04-24-2012, 10:01 AM
I've been thinking about ways this could be implemented that would be positive. I am one of those master planners and I have a pretty good idea 6 months out what my schedule is going to be like. Not exact, and the plan is flexible, but I have a pretty good idea.

I can imagine a scenario where Disney would set aside, say, 20% of the fastpasses for Toy Story Mania for advance reservation. First come, first served, you can get a fastpass in advance for some time period. Instead of getting into the mad rush in the morning at DS, reserve your ride time online ahead of time.

If the person doesn't show up it's not a big deal. (just like normal fastpass no-show) But, for me, it adds a layer of convenience that I would appreciate.

disneynarula
04-24-2012, 12:36 PM
I've been thinking about ways this could be implemented that would be positive. I am one of those master planners and I have a pretty good idea 6 months out what my schedule is going to be like. Not exact, and the plan is flexible, but I have a pretty good idea.

I can imagine a scenario where Disney would set aside, say, 20% of the fastpasses for Toy Story Mania for advance reservation. First come, first served, you can get a fastpass in advance for some time period. Instead of getting into the mad rush in the morning at DS, reserve your ride time online ahead of time.

If the person doesn't show up it's not a big deal. (just like normal fastpass no-show) But, for me, it adds a layer of convenience that I would appreciate.

I agree. We only go once every three years or so and I would love to know that I am going to be able to experience the key attractions without having to make a mad dash for TSM at rope drop. Say I have a ADR at Sci Fi at 1:00 for lunch. I know I am going to be there anyway so I might as well schedule a ride on TSM as well. Since I have to schedule my ADRs anyway I would not mind planning some rides around them.

I do not like the cell phone idea at all. For our lifestyle we just don't need them. We still use them for quick conversations to get information that is important right then and there. Last time we went I was so sick of being in lines and on rides with people who are constantly texting and tweeting and updating their FB profile.

I also don't want to pay to use my phone internationally.

meldan98
04-27-2012, 12:58 PM
This was announced in part at the D23 Expo last year. It was included in the discussion of the Fantasyland expansion and no longer have to corral the under 3 set while waiting in the hot Florida sun for Dumbo. When the newly expanded Dumbo opens, it has been slated to have the NextGen wait time functionality with things to keep families entertained while they wait for the ride.

I have no idea how this will be expanded, but it should be interesting to see how it works. I'm going to withhold judgement until we see the real thing in action.

About the RFID, if we walk up to Mickey and he talks to my kids and says, "great to see you again. If I remember correctly, didn't you have loose tooth during your last visit, let me see your new smile...", I think that would be pretty cool.

valjane
04-27-2012, 07:57 PM
About the RFID, if we walk up to Mickey and he talks to my kids and says, "great to see you again. If I remember correctly, didn't you have loose tooth during your last visit, let me see your new smile...", I think that would be pretty cool.

Creepy stalker Mickey! :eek:

banditlove
04-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Oh boy...all I can say is that I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE this idea.

If I have to:

:rant: stay on site to use xpass and/or make ride reservations months in advance

or

:mad: wait longer in traditional fastpass lines (assuming traditional fastpass is still available)

then I will no longer be going to Disney World. No ifs ands or buts.

Reserving ride times months in advance? I won't even do ADRs. Deciding when and where to eat months in advance is too restricting (I'm not criticizing those who enjoy table service - only stating that it doesn't appeal to my family -we're a strange bunch;)). The only pre-planning I'll do is booking accomodations, flights and deciding which park to attend on a particular day (based on operating hours and crowd predictions).

If xpass is available to off-site guests and is limited to same day ride resevations ... ok ... I would even be willing to pay for it. If xpass (in whatever form it takes) doesn't interfere with traditional fastpass ....also ok...Unfortunately, judging from the recent press releases, I don't think either of these scenarios is going to be the case.

Our next trip is October/November 2012. I intend to enjoy every unscheduled, relaxing and fun minute of it. It may, after all, be the last time we go :(

disneymomma2010
04-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Yap, mark me down as another one who HATES this idea!! :humph::down: If it is how it sounds I will not be using it. I hate the idea of trying to figure out what time we will be doing our rides! I just hope that it does not make it an awful experience for those who actually want to go with the flow and not be a robot on vacation.

seanyred
04-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Where everyone sees limitations I see potential. We still don't know how this system will work exactly. It seems foolish to shoot down something before it is finished. I'll be one of the few who looks forward to this change. But I do agree Disney could be doing better PR for this, so I'm hoping after the testing phase they can provide more details.

Change is constant and not always bad.