PDA

View Full Version : Ever have second thoughts about resort choice?

buzznwoodysmom
04-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Sorry this is so long. LOL. My mom and I are taking my boys to WDW as an end of summer vacation. After much consideration we decided to go with a moderate to keep costs down, since DH and I have some other vacation plans with the kids throughout the year.

We debated between CBR, POFQ, and POR. FQ was ruled out because my kids don't enjoy that pool much and since it'll be a July/August trip we know we'll be at the pool often. They love, love, love the pool at CBR, but we've already stayed there twice, and thought we should try something different.

As of last week we are booked at POR in a Royal Room just to try something new. We've stayed at Riverside before, but only for one night. It was in an Alligator Bayou room, and I didn't like the resort at all. I think my dislike for the resort had to do with the "campy" decor in the room, and the "swamp like" landscaping in that area. My boys did enjoy the pool there, so that's a plus. I think staying in a Royal Room in the Mansion's section will give me a totally different feel about this resort.

I was happy with that choice till today. I am now second guessing our choice. I keep thinking "am I going to miss being at CBR since it's summertime". Both of our stays at CBR were in June and it's a fun summer resort. I love the tropical feel. I worry that I'll miss that once we are there, but then I think it would be fun to try something a bit different. POR is a bit smaller than CBR and I think maybe the bus situation will be better there.

My mom and my boys are of absolutely no help. From the very beginning they have all said they don't care where we stay. With CBR being so much bigger we would book a prefered location room, the cost is the same as the Royal Room at POR, so price is not an issue.

If anyone wants to give me their pros and cons for each resort that would be great. Tell me where you would stay and why. If you think we should stay in one place over the other, please share your opinions!!!!! Thanks!

Tygger7
04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
I would definitely give POR & the Royal Rooms a chance. I was extremely biased against POR until we stayed there in December. After staying there, it's become one of my favorite resorts...so much so that I'm taking my mom in September. We stayed in the mansions in December, and will be staying in the Royal Room in September. I loved the location, as we were close to the quiet pool, the main pool, and the food court. I really wouldn't worry...it's a very relaxing place and lots of trees & shade. I think you'll really like the mansions.:mickey:

darthmacho
04-17-2012, 04:16 PM
We stayed at Riverside in 2010 and loved it. We had a mansions room, which had a totally different vibe than the bayou rooms. I'm sure the royal rooms will make even more of a difference. Ironically, if we stay there again, we're going to request a bayou room because it reminds me a little of the Wilderness Lodge in terms of decor.

Any way, here are some POR pros:

- Riverside Mill was a great "home base" for late night meals and snacks when getting back from the parks.
- The resort was fabulous to explore, perfect for morning walks.
- My kids loved the pool.
- Boatwright's was one of the best meals of the week. It really was a pleasant surprise.
- Boat to Downtown Disney.
- You can take a nice horse and buggy ride through POR and POFQ. It costs money, but I forget how much, maybe $40 or something?

Good luck! :mickey:

Kenny1113
04-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Yes I have second guessed a resort choice. When I took a last minute trip(booked it the night before we left) with my mom and boys. I was between POR (my mom Loves gone with the wind) and CSR. Well because of the 2 queen sized beds I went with CSR. I wish we hadn't. I was not happy with that resort at all.
That being said the moral of my story is not go with your gut. :)
Now I can say I've done CSR and do not wish to go back. I say try it if you've done CBR twice try something new so you can rule it out and definitely that do do not like the resort not just the room.

ginny57
04-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I have stayed at POR - loved the Mansions and did not like the Bayou for the same reasons you mention. That is actually why I have avoided going back - don't want to be in that section again and there are no guarantees.

If I went back....royal room all the way. Have a great time!

Ms. Mode
04-17-2012, 04:32 PM
I always second guess our resort choices, but I can tell you that (contrary to popular opinion) POFQ was my least favorite of the ones we have stayed at so far.

However, we are limited on Moderates..and sometimes you have to stay at a Moderate or not stay at all....so...Moderates here I come. :thumbsup:

If your family doesn't care I would say stick with your original plan and go to POR...Enjoy!

MizMissy
04-17-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm so glad you guys are going this summer!

Yes, I always have doubts/second thoughts on choosing resorts....actually on most of my plans. I think it's beause I'm the planner and I feel all the pressure if everyone is not happy.

We stayed at POFQ and POR (Mansions) on the moderate side. Honestly, I did not love POR. Not really sure why. I definitely was not impressed with the pool ... maybe I felt like it was too "swampy" or swimming hole instead of shiny clean.

Have you considered CSR? Their pool looks great and they have queen beds (my one hesitation with CBR).

Instead of worrying about trying new things, you should go with what makes you feel "at home." You know your kids love CBR pool. You know you will spend lots of time at the pool in August.

I'm sure you guys will have a great trip whichever resort you choose.

CajunDisneyDad
04-17-2012, 05:49 PM
I know what you mean about the campy decor. We stayed there in march, but after a few days we got used to it and it really started to take on a charm all its own. I think we find it campy because we live near New Orleans lol. I really did enjoy our stay there though.
are you going to festival at the end of the month? We are going Sat with the boys lol

Melanie
04-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Denise, have you considered Coronado Springs? We love that resort (it's our fav mod with CBR a close second), and my boys love that pool. Just a thought.

buzznwoodysmom
04-17-2012, 06:29 PM
For those who have mentioned it, we have stayed at CSR. We've actually stayed at all the moderates. We liked CSR, but it wasn't a favorite, and got voted out by the boys right away. Everyone raves about the pool there but we didn't think the pool was anything special. Maybe we missed something. LOL.

When the boys got home from school I sat them down and asked them again. Instead of asking them about the resort, which they still say "whatever", I asked them to think about spending time each and every day at the pool. I asked them to consider which pool they'd want to be at everyday, and they both, without much hesitation, said CBR. Looks like I might be changing our resort after all. I think at the end of the day the music, tropical feel, and whole feel of CBR screams summer for us. My oldest specifically said "for a trip this summer....Caribbean Beach".

I'm still not 100%. The more I think about it the more torn I am about the pools. POR's pool has lots of shade, but it felt somewhat enclosed and claustrophobic and dark to me. CB's pool is wide open and bright and airy, but no shade and HOT in the summer.

Definitely looks like we are leaning more toward what we know and love, CBR. Keep the comments coming, you never know, I may change my mind again if someone mentions something I haven't thought about. LOL.

buzznwoodysmom
04-17-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm so glad you guys are going this summer!

I'm sure you guys will have a great trip whichever resort you choose.

You and your kids coming???? LOL. Pack up the car and let's go!!!!!!

buzznwoodysmom
04-17-2012, 06:33 PM
I know what you mean about the campy decor. We stayed there in march, but after a few days we got used to it and it really started to take on a charm all its own. I think we find it campy because we live near New Orleans lol.

We stayed at POFQ and POR (Mansions) on the moderate side. Honestly, I did not love POR. Not really sure why. I definitely was not impressed with the pool ... maybe I felt like it was too "swampy" or swimming hole instead of shiny clean.

Maybe it's a Louisiana thing then! Looks like we all sort of feel the same way about Riverside!

buzznwoodysmom
04-17-2012, 06:38 PM
are you going to festival at the end of the month? We are going Sat with the boys lol

Don't know about the festival just yet. DH has national guard drill this weekend, then we are going with him to an officer convention for the weekend the following weekend. Even with a part time military spouse, the military seems to take tons of our time!

mom2morgan
04-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Okay, so here's what's ironic - we've always stayed at POR. This time I really felt like we should try something new. So I booked CBR and have been second guessing myself ever since! While I really DO want to try something else - Disney has so much to offer - I just can't imagine loving it the same way. To add insult to injury, POR has now renovated to Queen beds, while CBR still has doubles. Hmmmm....maybe we promise each other we'll try the trade with an open mind? ;-)

MNNHFLTX
04-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Okay, so here's what's ironic - we've always stayed at POR. This time I really felt like we should try something new. So I booked CBR and have been second guessing myself ever since! While I really DO want to try something else - Disney has so much to offer - I just can't imagine loving it the same way. To add insult to injury, POR has now renovated to Queen beds, while CBR still has doubles. Hmmmm....maybe we promise each other we'll try the trade with an open mind? ;-)Lol--this sounds just like our situation too! Except that my favorite mod is Coronado Springs. I tried to book CSR under the Spring room discount, but they only had rooms with the king beds left. And since I am going with DS 19, that just wouldn't fly! I tried Port Orleans with the same results, so ended up booking Caribbean Beach as it was the only moderate with 2 bed rooms available. Ever since I have been kind of wishing I could change it, but there's no way. Oh well, I did end up booking a preferred room, so that should be nice. Don't get me wrong, CBR is okay, I've just never gotten into the layout and the tropical theming (having lived in sub-tropical climates for many years!)

CajunDisneyDad
04-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Don't know about the festival just yet. DH has national guard drill this weekend, then we are going with him to an officer convention for the weekend the following weekend. Even with a part time military spouse, the military seems to take tons of our time!

Well God bless you and your husband and thank him for his service :) and thank you for supporting him :D.

BTW we are going back at the end of May. Suprise for DS who will be turning 3 (gotta get tickets now :( )

Aurora
04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Well I can totally see how people from La. wouldn't prefer POR -- it would be like me staying in a cityscape resort. My family LOVES POR 'cause we feel like we're in the deep South.

Here's an idea -- have you thought about the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge? Yes, they're a bit pricier, but not as expensive as a real deluxe (they're sort of considered "moderate" deluxes). The pools at both are fantastic, and you'd be closer to a theme park. Just food for thought.

disneynarula
04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
I always second guess myself. I am booked at OKW right now but am torn because I love SSR resort so much.

I also go back and forth about booking a moderate instead. We spend so much time at the parks the room does not always matter to us. We do spend the evenings at the pool so I think I might not want a value.

At the OP:

I prefer the pool at CBR resort because it has the zero entry pool and I have a toddler. If my kids were swimmers my resort of choice would be POR!!! I think you will love it there!

mom2morgan
04-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Oh well, I did end up booking a preferred room, so that should be nice. Don't get me wrong, CBR is okay, I've just never gotten into the layout and the tropical theming (having lived in sub-tropical climates for many years!)

Yes, I booked a preferred room, too. For me the theming will be great because I'm from Western Canada (I know what you mean, though - that's why I'd never stay at Wilderness Lodge, even though it's lovely. I wouldn't be able to feel like I left home!). I think the theming is WHY we picked CBR, but I keep getting the impression it is kind of worn and run down....

Mousemates
04-18-2012, 10:08 AM
AS to your title question of "Ever have second thoughts about resort choice? " the answer is yes, and we've changed them from time to time for varying reasons. However, the honest truth is we have only had a bad stay one time at WDW and the issue then wasn't resort specific, but room specific (previous guests left some 'friends' behind).

There is not a "bad resort" at WDW, just some that might fit personal preferences and financial resources better than others.

AS POR itself, we had a great stay in a Royal Guest room back in March and will likely be returning to POR again...we think its likely one of the great values at WDW. (Now again this is for the mansions...alligator bayou really just doesn't fit our tastes).

MizMissy
04-18-2012, 10:20 AM
You and your kids coming???? LOL. Pack up the car and let's go!!!!!!

Haha! Don't tempt me! Actually, we are renovating our house this summer, so my fun, vacation funds are being sacrificed for the greater good. :( Oh well ... and sadly, if I presented an Orlando vacation option to my kids I think they would choose Universal (much to my dismay).

Back on topic: You know, that "shaded" pool at POR is still going to be HOT in August ... and humid! No way around it. If you choose CBR, maybe you can pack a pool umbrella in the car with you. ;)

Tinkerbella16
04-18-2012, 10:42 AM
I know what you mean about the Alligator Bayou rooms.. I have stayed at all of the moderates and POR & FQ were my favorite. I think you will love the Royal rooms at POR.. I've seen many pictures/videos of those room and WOW! They did an amazing job on that refurb! I don't think you will miss CBR once you are there and you see for yourself. :mickey:

Disney Doll
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
If the pool is your #1 priority I'd recommend CBR. CSR is my personal favorite moderate and the pyramid pool is really pretty, but kids don't really care about pretty and the pyramid isn't something they can play on. I did like the dig site playground right next to the pool, but take away the pyramid and the pool is just a pool. The CBR pool has much more playability especially with the pirate ship water play area.

POR wasn't my favorite, but I would be open to trying it again. I thought the grounds were gorgeous, but I completely agree about the campy decor in Alligator Bayou. If we stay there again I will request the Mansions.

We almost always try a new resort and I find that I love different things about each one. I don't think you can make a bad choice.

Mitzie
04-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Second guess our resort choice...all the time...for us it is part of the fun of planning. We have stayed at all the Mods but FQ. We love POR but coming from Northern Indiana.. I agree with others...go with your gut or where you know you will be happy. I really liked how close the pool and food court were at CRB..the zero entry pool is also nice which POR doesn't have. The boat ride to DTD is nice from POR.

buzznwoodysmom
04-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks so much for all the input, and you can keep it coming!!!!

I think a lot of you hit the nail on the head. The themeing of a resort and how much a family likes that themeing has a lot to do with where you are from. I think for many the "swampy" feeling at Riverside is something so different from where they live and it sort of takes on a "story" of it's own, making the family feel like they are in a totally different location. For my family it just feels like going to the camp near the swamps, nothing new or special.

So many great points in everyone's post. I think I should go with which pool we enjoy the most, since that was sort of the whole point to begin with. July/August trip means tons of time at the pool and we really want it to be one we enjoy. My boy's love the pool at CBR, love the zero entry, the music, the tropical feeling. I can almost hear the music and pretend I have a drink from the bar in my hand and life seems perfect!!! The food court is soooo close to the pool, and with a preferred room we'll not only be close to the pool, but we'll be able to experience a new room. We've only ever stayed in the pirate rooms here, so the room decor will be something new for us.

I think I've made up my mind.....I did say I THINK! LOL.

buzznwoodysmom
04-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Haha! Don't tempt me! Actually, we are renovating our house this summer, so my fun, vacation funds are being sacrificed for the greater good. :( Oh well ... and sadly, if I presented an Orlando vacation option to my kids I think they would choose Universal (much to my dismay).

Well that's exciting!!! Our house is only around 6-7 years old, but since we didn't build it and get to pick out all the colors and such we've been redoing one room at a time. Other than travel, decorating/redecorating our house is my other passion!!!!

Mogie
04-18-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm definitely the more nostalgic, stick to the tried and true favorites kind of guy. Our last trip I regretted not staying at our favorite Dolphin but that was only because we saw zero animals in our Savannah View Room.

minnie-mouse
04-19-2012, 10:59 AM
I went with CSR. I wish we hadn't. I was not happy with that resort at all.
Why didn't you like CSR, if you don't mind me asking?

buzznwoodysmom
04-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Here's an idea -- have you thought about the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge? Yes, they're a bit pricier, but not as expensive as a real deluxe (they're sort of considered "moderate" deluxes). The pools at both are fantastic, and you'd be closer to a theme park. Just food for thought.

I did think about WL, it's our favorite resort, but we've stayed there for 3 out of our last 4 vacations. As much as we love it, we really didn't want to stay there again on this trip.

I did however look into prices for AKL. We are using the military discount (which is only 35% off of a mod., but 40% off of a deluxe) and since my mom and I are splitting the cost of the room, a pool view room at AKL would only cost us $85 more each! Just when I thought I was sure we were going to stay at CBR........

So now we need to decide on a prefered room at CBR or a pool view room at AKL. At least it's a good "problem" to have!!!

MizMissy
04-19-2012, 02:57 PM
So now we need to decide on a prefered room at CBR or a pool view room at AKL. At least it's a good "problem" to have!!!

Definitely a good problem to have!! Since you've been to both resorts, you know what to expect from each. I would still let the boys and/or your mom choose. (takes the pressure off of you :blush:)

I loved AKL - the lobby, the feel of the hotel. One of our best evenings was hanging out in the sunset (sunrise?) lounge with a nice glass of wine while DD played a game with one of the CMs (she was obsessed with getting beads for her necklace) and DS sat in the lobby right outside of the lounge watching vintage Donald Duck cartoons. A very relaxing evening.

I also enjoyed the pool area and the pool bar - lots of kids activities, scavenger hunts, arts and crafts - the only problem was the smell from the flamingos (whew :sick:).

Once again ... not a bad spot to be in choosing between two fun and different results.

buzznwoodysmom
04-19-2012, 06:33 PM
I loved AKL - the lobby, the feel of the hotel. One of our best evenings was hanging out in the sunset (sunrise?) lounge with a nice glass of wine while DD played a game with one of the CMs (she was obsessed with getting beads for her necklace) and DS sat in the lobby right outside of the lounge watching vintage Donald Duck cartoons. A very relaxing evening.

I also enjoyed the pool area and the pool bar - lots of kids activities, scavenger hunts, arts and crafts - the only problem was the smell from the flamingos (whew :sick:).

We've had a few nights like that at AKL too. Gotta love that lobby, and the gift shop!!

We never noticed the smell near the pool.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. Really thinking about it I don't think I've ever been so torn on where to stay. We usually have a purpose for our resort, either a birthday, a holiday, a resort we've been wanting to try. This is the first time I've felt like I wasn't sure where we should stay. All suggestions have been wonderful. Thanks!

RedSoxFan
04-19-2012, 09:48 PM
We stayed at AKL last November for the 2nd time. I just love this resort as do the rest of my family. I didn't notice any smell at the pool area. My kids were there quite a bit and never mentioned a smell. I've stayed at CBR as well. But between the two, I would pick AKL. But I'm sure which ever resort you pick; you'll have a wonderful time!!:mickey: