PDA

View Full Version : Day trip to Animal Kingdom

Lizzy
04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Cast: Lizzy (mom) Scott (my BF) Jacob (DS-13) Paul (DS 4) and Abigail (DD 17 months)

April 14, 2012

We live about an hour away so I knew we wanted to be out of the house by 8. I think this is the first time in history I did get out of the house on time when going to Disney!

We get to AK around 9:10 and park in the Unicorn section. We load up the double stroller. This is the first time taking the new Sit N Stand double stroller to a theme park so I was anxious to see how well it helped. It was so great for Paul because he could hop on and off anytime we let him for rides so that was fantastic. It even has a seat for him so he could sit when he needed. The front seat for the baby though did seem to get uncomfortable for her after a while.

We skipped the tram since I hate trams, especially with kids and strollers and diaper bags and all the **** we bring so we can spend less $ inside the park. Since we were in Unicorn it was a short walk to the front anyway. I exchanged my vouchers for the FL res 3 day pass. While at the ticket window, some Asian family thought Abigail was the cutest thing or something, maybe it was her pig tails or minnie shirt I don't know but the whole family posed for pictures with her in her stroller LOL. it was odd.

I warned Scott over and over that we would probably be best to skip ITTBAB because the little ones might get scared. He said he thinks they will be fine. So I said if someone starts screaming he has to take them out (meanwhile I am thinking "rookie") Paul got a little scared and I had to hold him in the dark part. Abigail was very scared, but once Scott turned her around the other way she just cuddled into him and waited for the noise to end. Didn't seem to phase her at all. So I am thinking my kids are troupers! Paul laughed at how stinky it was and Jacob and I reminisced on the days when it was just him and me and we called it the "Stinky Bug Ride" It was fun to bring the fun out of my teenager who is really starting to be grumpy.

We decided we should go get our fastpasses for Everest. Jacob didn't want to go on, but we used all 4 tickets to get FP anyway in case he changed his mind. Paul was not tall enough but incase one of us had to stay behind while jacob rode he could ride twice that way. We had about an hour to kill before our window opened up so we headed twords the Kali River Rapids and the Jungle Trek. We baby swapped the River Rapids. Jacob, Paul and I took the first ride and there was no line. We walked right on. it was raining a little that morning so we didn't care if we got too wet. Good thing, because we got so wet we looked like we jumped in and went swimming. Paul was a little over an inch tall enough to go on, and he thought it was hilarious. So the boys went for round 2 with Scott while I stayed with the baby. While they were on the ride I went to change her diaper. The changing station in the courtyard area directly across from KRR was terrible. It was one of those fold down ones that seem like they are going to fall. I didn't realize there were larger bathrooms just another 10 feet away across from the exit to the KRR that would have been better. Abby played in the water fountains and followed a duck around while we waited. My boys came back looking like drowned rats. We decided to go through the Jungle Trek and I got some really good pictures of one of the tigers. After going through, we headed back over to EE. Jacob still didn't want to ride. Jacob has been home alone baby sitting Abby before but never Paul or both. But I set them up with some cheez its for a snack at a table and Scott and I went off to ride EE. It is so fun riding rides with someone who has not ridden them before. It's like a whole new experience all over again! Since we had the extra 2 FP we went on again. We went back to the kids and they were happily pigging out. We walked into the Dinorama area. I decided to skip Nemo since I knew it would be either Nemo or Lion King. There is no way Abigail would sit still for two shows and I though Lion King would be the better option. We took Abby and Paul on Triceratops spin. Abigail did not like it at all and Paul wanted to go again. I told him later.

We went to the Pooh and Tigger character landing. We really wished Eeyore was there as that is Scott's favorite character and every time I have dragged him to Disney Eeyore has been MIA. Abby walked right up to pooh and tigger both and absolutly loved them. She bounced around tigger and just hammed it up. Paul was scared and would not leave my side. We got Paul to at least stand for a pic and Abby was saying "bye bye gigger" total cuteness.

We stopped for lunch at Flame Tree BBQ. It was a nice CS meal I thought. Paul loved his PB&J meal with the cookie and the grapes. Abby just ate some fries. I had the turkey sandwich with the cranberry mayo and thought it was very good. Scott got the pulled pork with onion rings. Jacob got the ribs. We pretty much covered the whole menu. The problem was trying to push the stroller, carry drinks, trays and navigate through the pathway to find a place to sit and eat. It had started raining right then too. We ended up at the very back covered pavillion. Thank goodness they put the toppings station in every pavillion.

I stopped in a couple stores after that trying to find a cute dry shirt, but only liked the "Tigger is that you?" pooh shirt I bought for Abby which was dry. Both boys said they would rather stay wet and get a small toy instead.

We headed over to Camp Minnie Mickey just as the 1:30 Lion King show was starting. We stood in line for Mickey. Abigail is totally obcessed with Mickey. She calls him MEEMEE and points him out everywhere. Unfortunatly for the 7 year old girl in front of us who had on a Meemee shirt. Abby would not leave her alone, and I got a pick of Abby grabbing her. lol. Once we got close enough to see Mickey her face lit up. The photopass caught the perfect pic of her walking up to Mickey. Her face was like a teenager who gets to meet Beiber. I swear my 17 month old had tears of Joy. The Mickey at Camp Minnie Mickey was fantastic. He was so interactive and kept playing with Abigail. She squeezed his nose and gave him kisses and just did not want to let him go. I don't think Mickey wanted her to leave either, because he just kept on posing for pics with her. As she was leaving Mickey kept blowing kisses to her like she was him and waving the whole walk away. That made my whole day. It was what you would hope to get when you meet mickey for the first time. Fantastic.

We also met Goofy and had a similar experience. Abby loves Goofy Too. Paul was scared of everyone but did manage to get enough courage to high five Goofy. Jacob was too cool for characters and I managed to get him to come see Goofy at least.

Chip and Dale were going on their break and stopped to play with Abby a little also. Such a great experience with the characters that day.

We went into the Lion King and Abby was getting a little cranky since it was way past nap time now. She lasted through most the show because she loves music and dancing, but finally passed out for a quickie nap through the rest. We got out of the show, collected the stroller and headed over to Kilamanjaro Safari. it was hard to hold her still on the ride, but the animals were all out and in view. Except all of them well, we saw the south bound ends of all the north bound animals if you catch my drift. The Warthog even decided to urinate while standing next to the truck

And I finally got a great picture of the Lions! I always miss. There was also a great shot of 4 Rhino rears but the truck moved to quickly to get a not blurry one. All 3 cheetas were out and standing together too.

We walked through the forest trail. We decided to skip the train ride and go back over to Dinoland so Jacob could do Dinosaur and Paul could ride Triceratops spin again. Scott loves those silly games they have there so he played while I took the kids on the rides. He did do dinosaur with Jacob on his second ride through. There was no line again but Scott thought that Dinosaur was lame.

It was a little after six after that and since the park closed at 7, we decided to do a little pin shopping, get the boys their toy and call it a day.

Overall it was a fantastic day. We had a lot of fun and it was so great watching Abby interact with the characters. We have 2 days left on our FL pass that we will be using for 2 days at the MK in May. I cannot wait! :mickey:

SBETigg
04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Sounds like such a perfect AK day! Abby with Mickey, sounds so cute! Your little fan girl. Aw.

faline
04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
What wonderful character interaction! Perhaps Paul will be more willing to interact with the characters on your next visit!

wildernesslady
04-17-2012, 08:11 AM
You had a great AK day. Thanks for sharing. Abigail sounds adorable.

princessgirls
04-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks for sharing your great AK day!!!

Julie:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Sounds like a great day