PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass Enforcement Question

andypooh
04-14-2012, 08:29 AM
I know that they are supposedly enforcing the times on FPs now. I was curious if this is really happenning. The 1 hour time window can be a little tight, especially with small kids. It would seem to me if they really want to enforce the times to get better line flows (which I totally understand) it might make sense to increase the time window too 2 hours?

MickeysBestPal
04-14-2012, 09:51 AM
I know that they are supposedly enforcing the times on FPs now.

1- I was curious if this is really happenning. The 1 hour time window can be a little tight, especially with small kids.

2- It would seem to me if they really want to enforce the times to get better line flows (which I totally understand) it might make sense to increase the time window too 2 hours?

1- Yes.

2- I think that would be a good decision, too.
But, Disney is enforcing the printed one-hour window at this time.
(Limited reports say that sometimes, at least, the FP CM's will allow a "within 15 minutes late" entry.)

WDWdriver
04-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Yes, the return window printed on FastPasses is now being enforced. There is a 15 minute grace period at the end of the window when the FP will still be honored. But beyond that, the FP will be considered expired. There are a few exceptions to the rule, but generally guests must return during the window plus 15 minutes for the FP to be valid.

SpaceMtn101
04-14-2012, 07:07 PM
They dont always honor the 15 min window.

By bf last night was at Magic and waited 40 min WITH a fastpass for princessess. They decided to pull them during specto. He had a fast pass for Mickey and it was 10 min after the time on the pass. The fastpass person tried to refuse him in. Another cast memeber let him go since they knew the princesses got pulled and what he said was the truth. But dont be surprised if they dont always honor that 15 min.

spinnerf
04-14-2012, 08:42 PM
I dont understand why people want more grace period on the fast pass? I have young kids too, and if a movie starts at 10 am and I show at 12 Im usually alright that they started it without me. Im kind of happy they are treating it like an appointment even though my family may get burned by the new policy. We have to rethink our strategies...

Disney Doll
04-14-2012, 09:50 PM
I dont understand why people want more grace period on the fast pass? I have young kids too, and if a movie starts at 10 am and I show at 12 Im usually alright that they started it without me. Im kind of happy they are treating it like an appointment even though my family may get burned by the new policy. We have to rethink our strategies...

I agree. I also have small kids and I'm not sure what kind of unexpected delays would may someone more than an hour late. I think we're just used to not really having to pay attention so it's an adjustment, but I don't anticipate any problems being able to make the window.

Polynesian Dweller
04-14-2012, 11:02 PM

Also agree. When they weren't enforcing we knew we could come back late. But we never did. It just was never a problem to meet the window. Generally the window opens about 2 hrs after you get the FP, and then there is 1 hr to use it plus a15 min grace period. Nobody should have a problem planning or that. Kids aren't an issue to get back in those time frames. And if you have a conflicting ADR then don't take the FP. The planning is very easy.

Urbss
04-15-2012, 05:52 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I still don't get it. I don't know why they are fixing something that I never saw as being broken.

Maybe it is because my family always seems to go during times when there are not huge crowds, but I don't see why they need to enforce the FP times.

Of course, if this helps some of the more popular attractions from having their FPs run out early in the day, then I guess that is enough reason for me.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-15-2012, 06:24 PM
I guess that I am one of the minority on here that never did use a FP after it had expired.

And I also never understood why they allowed CMs to let late FPs through to begin with. The FP system was one that they had to have put in research and came with a very feasible plan, one that would most efficiently move people through their parks and their queues.

It has always plainly stated on the FP what time one should return and when you get your FP to begin with, it plainly states the approximate time they are printing out for return times. Not that hard to plan around.

But, yes they are enforcing the return times.

DisneyOtaku
04-15-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't really see the problem with the enforcement, but then again, we always plan to arrive in the time setting. If smaller kids are harder to make it on time, then perhaps plan on getting there as soon as the time window opens up--that would give you up to an hour delay.

LudwigVonDrake
04-15-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't see why people are so upset about enforcing the time period. You knew what the return time was when you got the FP so barring an unexpected development get there within the return window.

andypooh
04-15-2012, 10:34 PM
The "unexpected development" seems to happen a lot with our small kids which is why I thought maybe a 2 hour time window might make things a little easier. Enforce the time on the FP, just make it a little longer window.

MickeysBestPal
04-16-2012, 04:32 AM
The "unexpected development" seems to happen a lot with our small kids which is why I thought maybe a 2 hour time window might make things a little easier. Enforce the time on the FP, just make it a little longer window.

There would be no problem with making the window longer. There's nothing particularly "magic" about offering a one-hour window, except that's an easy concept for guests to grasp and it makes doing the FP usage computations "easier."

Many think that the new enforcement has more to do with the hinted-at arrival of pre-arranged (days to months in advance) FP's ("X-Pass?") than a need to limit the previous (over a decade) practice of allowing after-window FP use.

There would very likely be the need to distribute more (maybe far more) FP's under that new "X-Pass" system. Disney would need to more tightly control the use of FP with much more of the total ride-capacity being filled with extra FP's added to the mix.

There is also the very real possibility that, as things play out over time, the more strict FP time enforcement will be relaxed, if it seems the need is not critical.

Time will tell.

K8screen
04-16-2012, 08:36 AM
So what effect is it actually having on fast pass return lines? I would think that in the morning they would now be longer as those who used to be FP hoarders come back on time, but in the afternoon and evening they would be shorter as only the people who have FPs for that time would be there, not all the late comers as well. Is this actually happening?

Disney Doll
04-16-2012, 03:38 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I still don't get it. I don't know why they are fixing something that I never saw as being broken.

That's the question. I never knew how many people were returning outside their window. I knew that return times were not strictly enforced, but we didn't take advantage of that laxness because we just never really saw the need. I would have assumed that nearly everyone was abiding by the window because I didn't notice any impact to the FP system. It's not like the FP lines were flooded with late comers in the evening. I don't think that enforcing the window is a big deal, but I also don't think it was a big deal to let people in late. :confused:

disneymom2000
04-16-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't mind the enforcement but having a two hour window would be really nice. I have a hard time walking so it really isn't feasible for me to leave The Land pavilion and wander around another area and then have to come back in a hurry to make it - but only if the fastpass time were within an hour or two after receiving it. If I get one that is four hours later I could do a little limping around and still make my time.