PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hanks to play Walt Disney

Lisaj13
04-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I've been reading about Tom Hanks' upcoming movie, Saving Mr. Banks.

He'll be playing Walt Disney and the movie will tell the story of the 14 years it took to persuade P.L. Travers to let Disney make Mary Poppins.

I think it sounds interesting. Anyone else have any thoughts?

TinkerbellT421
04-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Honestly, I LOVE Tom Hanks! I have yet to see a film he made that I did not like. I think he would be great!

BrowncatP
04-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Being a Disney fan, I would see the movie. It sounds kind of boring though.

Terra
04-12-2012, 05:19 PM
I hadn't heard of this movie yet. Can't wait until it's done!

disneymomma2010
04-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Yay! Love Tom Hanks, and love Walt Disney! I just wish the movie was more of a wider story of his whole journey though, not just one movie he made. Hopefully it will involve more than that.

Christine
04-12-2012, 08:12 PM
I've been reading about Tom Hanks' upcoming movie, Saving Mr. Banks.

He'll be playing Walt Disney and the movie will tell the story of the 14 years it took to persuade P.L. Travers to let Disney make Mary Poppins.

I think it sounds interesting. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I have been reading about this and I am SOOOOO excited about this movie!!!!! Cannot begin to say! Thanks for sharing this!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-12-2012, 09:46 PM
This should be very interesting. I know the story of the courting of P L Travers to get Mary Poppins on screen was not a boring one.

wildernesslady
04-13-2012, 08:05 AM
He is such a great actor. I'm sure it won't disappointment.

PopPhan
04-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Tom Hanks To Play Walt Disney in 'Saving Mr. Banks'

It seems like a missed opportunity to call a movie Saving Mr. Banks, when it could just as appropriately be named after a far more recognizable P.L. Travers character: Saving Mary Poppins. But then again, the title could be an apology for the lack of subtlety in Disney's film adaptation of Mary Poppins, with which author Travers took issue — her displeasure with the movie is the focus of Saving Mr. Banks, after all. Plus, the title as it stands was enough to rope in new A-list cast members Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson. Still, Saving Mary Poppins seemed like a safer bet.

Alas, Saving Mr. Banks will feature Thompson as Mary Poppins author P.L. Travers (born Helen Lyndon Goff — but you know writers), during negotiations to sell the rights to her now iconic character to Disney for a film adaptation. Hanks will embody Walt Disney himself, probably downplaying the head-freezing and anti-Semitism, who spent 14 years trying to convince Travers to accept a business relationship with his company.

As previously noted, Saving Mr. Banks will focus on Travers' eventual dissatisfaction with the otherwise cherished Disney movie, which suggests that the film might lean towards the promotion of artistic integrity, and the evils of selling out. The title refers to the Mary Poppins character Mr. Banks, as played by David Tomlinson in the '64 film.

John Lee Hancock (The Blind Side, The Rookie) is set to direct, despite the fact that this doesn't appear to be a sports movie that will make you cry a little.

One comment to this article...and I thought it interesting to quote this as well.....

jeffreycsherman

The origins of Disney's "Mary Poppins" could have made a wonderful film. As it is, "Saving Mr. Banks" is destined to fail. If only the screenplay had even cursorily been researched. I am the son of one of the Sherman Brothers who actually developed the original screen story and the beloved original song score from the (then) obscure and lackluster Mary Poppins chapter book by PL Travers. In the "Saving Mr. Banks" screenplay, the screenwriter twists all the facts around to make it seem that Pamela Travers "fixed" what had been "messed up" by Walt, my Dad and Uncle, Bill Walsh and Don DaGradi. None of us -- and there are many -- who know the real story of the origins of Disney's "Mary Poppins" can believe that, a) these fine actors would take part in such silly fiction and that b) Disney Studios that made the original classic film wouldn't even attempt to get the facts and characterizations right. The Sherman Brothers poured four years of their lives into creating this masterpiece and only spent a few horrid days with Travers -- and only just to get her to finally sign off on the rights. She didn't "fix" anything and hated everything about the finished movie. Travers was finally persuaded only because she needed the money. That is the well-known truth -- not what this screenwriter has imagined in her vacuum. Dramatic license is one thing, but marginalizing the contributions of the real creative team and falsely, arbitrarily transferring the credit of "Spoonful of Sugar," "Feed the Birds," "Let's Go Fly a Kite" and other key genius aspects of the classic movie to this hackneyed, pain in the butt, oddball woman is insulting. It will fall flat with anyone who does know the truth. It's not wholly surprising to me that Emma Thompson who quite generously "borrowed" from Disney's "Mary Poppins" with her own "Nanny McPhee" films wouldn't mind the lack of veracity in "Saving Mr. Banks." I've always respected Tom Hanks and his incredible work, though, both in front of and behind the camera. My guess is no one's told Tom that this screenplay is wildly fictitious and -- I assure you -- very unpopular with the relatives of those who truly instilled the heart, passion, characters and core story of the beloved film. It's truly a shame.

Very strange.........

Aurora
04-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Bud (PopPhan), could you please tell us where you got the article from?

PopPhan
04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Bud (PopPhan), could you please tell us where you got the article from?

I googled "Saving Mr. Banks" and it was the first item that came up -- sent you a PM as the site name/link/etc. would be against TOS

Aurora
04-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks!

CosmicRay
04-13-2012, 06:29 PM
I can't wait to see the movie! It's hard for me to imagine Hanks as Disney, but I know he will do a great job!

Mrs Bus Driver
04-15-2012, 10:25 AM
One comment to this article...and I thought it interesting to quote this as well.....

Very strange.........

I was sent a link to this on facebook. Would like to know more about this, could maybe some of you here on intercot who are a little more up to snuff on Disney history add anything to this?:mickey: