PDA

View Full Version : Pick our restaurant for this summer's trip!

TikiGoddess
04-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Okay, let's try this again. In the Accommodations forum, I asked ICOTees to vote on what resort we should stay at this summer. The leading resort is Beach Club, and posters gave some great reasons why we should stay there. That, combined with a great PIN code, was enough for me to book Beach Club for 5 nights this July!

So... since I had such good advice on our resort, it's time for ICOT to pick a restaurant for us. We normally don't do a lot of TS dining, since we have two kids and we don't tend to eat much in the summer months. So, apart from our annual breakfast at Crystal Palace, we will probably only have one TS dinner.

Keep in mind --

We are not big steak eaters. We will eat just about any cuisine - not afraid of spicy or exotic flavors. We love sushi but are totally willing to try just about anything.

Any comments on why you voted for a particular restaurant are welcome.

Thanks!
Kathy

goofy89
04-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Out of those I'd say San Angel Inn. It is one of my favorites. The food and atmosphere are great!

TinkerbellT421
04-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Out of the choices you provided and the information you stated I think Coral Reef would be a perfect fit for you. I am more of a steak and things I know type of person and at Coral Reef I was forced to go outside my box because of the selections of fish that I normally would never eat. DBF tried the Mahi Mahi and loved it. I had Grooper. And granted just looking at the fish I was like OMG what did I just pick? :sick: But it was delicious! A lot of people are hit or miss on this place and I am not so sure if it is because it's not your general "steak and potatoes" type place. But for me to go outside my box of anything pasta, alfredo and steak to get Grooper? That is a feat!

AllDisney
04-11-2012, 08:27 PM
We really love San Angel Inn:thumbsup:

SBETigg
04-11-2012, 08:48 PM
I love Flying Fish. I'm really surprised by the San Angel love. I actually love it there, too, but it gets very mixed reviews. I'm eager to try Hacienda because of the recommendations I got from the staff at Cava del Tequila. But of your choices, Flying Fish would be my vote.

DreamFinder2
04-11-2012, 09:13 PM
I voted for San Angel Inn, but I we can digress from your list, here are a couple of others.

If you like 'exotic' flavors, I'd suggest Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's a family-friendly buffet-style place with lots of interesting flavors, but also has some "safe" items :thumbsup:

If you like sushi, Tokyo Dining at Epcot's Japan is fabulous.

tarheelmjfan
04-11-2012, 09:44 PM
We've eaten at Flying Fish, Bluezoo, Chefs de France, Restaurant Marrakesh, Biergarten, &
San Angel Inn. Of those, we prefer bluezoo. IMO, the food is a step above the others. Next would be Flying Fish, but we feel bluezoo is much better & more consistent.

Fastpasssteve
04-11-2012, 10:31 PM
If you are trying a new restaurant, I would try the Biergarten. It is great food, great bier, fun entertainment (especially for families), and a truly immersive environment.

My second choice would be the San Angel Inn because of the overall environment. I have had the ribeye tacos there, and they were delicious.

TheDuckRocks
04-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I voted for La Hacienda even though I've never eaten there myself. It has been getting great reviews and wonderful pictures posted on the Disney dining blog site recently.

darthmacho
04-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Tough choice, I can see why you asked for help. I picked San Angel as a sure favorite out of this group, but Chef's and Marrakesh were close candidates, and La Hacienda and Via Napoli are two I'm trying this summer myself. Can't wait to hear what you choose, but from your list, you probably can't go wrong. :mickey:

goofy-4-disney
04-12-2012, 02:10 PM
I've eaten at Flying Fish, Biergarten, Coral Reef and San Angel. Out of these, the one I would go back to again is Flying Fish. I have no complaints about the Biergarten other then possibly having to share a table with a different party. Coral Reef and San Angel have been hit or miss the last few times I've been there. The atmosphere is great in both locations, but the food can be either very good, or very average.

Bethanymouse
04-13-2012, 08:49 PM
I was NOT a fan of San Angel. We tried it a number of times and it was just not our thing. I voted for Bluezoo. I have heard some great things.....

tarheelmjfan
04-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Looking at the poll I have a feeling most of the voters are using DDP & haven't eaten at bluezoo. ;)

BrerSchultzy
04-14-2012, 09:56 PM
I am shocked that I was the first vote for Marrakesh! The last few times we've been down, we haven't really had a sit down meal (new babies and all), but we are dreaming of the day we can finally sit down and eat at Marrakesh. I went there...sheesh...14 years ago, and I can still remember the food. It was amazing.

pixiepal
04-15-2012, 09:28 AM
I vote for Chef's - we've never had bad food there (bad service occasionally though) - BUT for the atmostphere and if you go at lunch to see Remy - it's a good choice.....kids enjoy the mac & cheese - adults a glass of wine and maybe short ribs with french onion soup - YUMMY!!!:thumbsup:

artyboy
04-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Bluezoo all the way!!!

Amazing seafood in a fabulous atmosphere. We go ther for apps every trip!

Have fun!

Davy Crockett
04-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Der Biergarten ist ein ausgezeichneter Ort zum Essen!!!
Translation - The Biergarten is an excellent place to eat!!!
And have a beer :beer::beer::beer: and hear the band play :tuba:

ANG
04-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Another vote for San Angel Inn. Atmosphere is fantastic!

tjstrike
04-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I voted for the Biergarten. I believe your kids will enjoy the fun atmosphere and a chance to relax and eat at the same. :thumbsup:

LarryBoy
04-20-2012, 09:59 AM
I picked Coral Reef because the food is really good and I think the kids will really like it, but I also love San Angel and it would be a very close second choice.

Ms. Mode
04-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Via Napoli is a great place! Food is wonderful and you can eat "heavy" or "light". :thumbsup:

KatrinaJ91
04-20-2012, 01:45 PM
We ate at Biergarten for the first time this past year and loved it! The food was delicious, it was alot of fun and the atmosphere was wonderful. We definitely plan on going back!

Jared
04-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Kathy, have you considered Kouzzina? It receives mixed reviews on Disney message boards, but I think it's perhaps the best non-signature restaurant on property. If you like Mediterranean cuisine and the spices and flavors that come with it, Kouzzina is a delight.

I've eaten dinner there three times, and it has gotten better each time. Especially high marks the whole fish entree. It is incredible.

DisneyOtaku
04-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Biergarden, for sure! Such a great atmosphere, and the entertainment is great for the whole family.

Also.....SPATZLE. That's enough for me to go again ;)

Gator
04-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Do yourself a favor and ignore everyone telling you to go to San Angel. Sure, the ambience might seem nice - unless they put you next to a wall or by the entrance. Plus, the service is slow and the food is very very plain. Any other place you've listed has better food. You can get ambience at Marekesh, Biergarten, Coral Reef, and many of the others. Marekesh is the most exotic - I think you'd like that based on what you told us about what you like:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-22-2012, 08:22 AM
Wow, this is hard. You've picked a lot of restaurants I've never tried and really want to try. I voted for Flying Fish for a few reasons:
1. You are staying in the Epcot resort area
2. I always wanted to explore the Boardwalk
3. You said you aren't big steak eaters and they have some interesting looking fish dishes.

If I had to vote for a runner up it would be La Hacienda because there is something special about dining in the world showcase to me, I just love it. I also love Mexican food!

greengeen
04-22-2012, 08:59 AM
I think people are pulling your leg. San Angel has the most votes right now, and I swear it's one of the worst places we've been at Disney food-wise. The atmosphere is nice, but I think they keep it dark so you won't see the food too clearly.