PDA

View Full Version : Hows the fishing at Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon

spoiledraf
04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Headed down in early June and haven't been fishing at the World in a few years. The last couple trips down weren't too successful on the water and the prices keep going up while the number of fish keeps going down. We'll be staying at the Poly for the first time and i thought I'd take a grandkid or two out for an afternoon trip. Any other anglers out there with any success in the last two years??? There is one page in the Disney site that lists the biggest fish caught over the last 20 years. They had a run of 10 plus pounders about 2000 - 2001, but they get smaller and less frequent after that. Kind of a bad trend as to the quality of the fishing and possibly water quality that may affect such things.
:fish:

spoiledraf
04-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Hmmmm....
Looking at the number of people who viewed this post and the number of posts that followed, it reminds me of a lot of my own fishing trips. Lots of bites but no fish!

faline
04-12-2012, 10:39 AM
I've never done one of the fishing excursions before so can't be helpful in knowing what the catches are like. I have seen the boats out on the lake(s) - often sitting close to boat docks and shore lines. Hopefully, some of the other folks who've done this will be along soon!

Polynesian Dweller
04-12-2012, 11:32 AM
I can give you this much help about the Seven Seas Lagoon but not about Bay Lake. Always staying at the Poly I can say I don't see the fishing excursions out later than mid to late morning. So I doubt the fishing is good in the afternoon, and never near dusk either. You might want to plan for AM.

We do see catches frequently in the AM and they seem a decent size. But since it's purely catch and release you never see them close up. But they are fairly big from a distance. They are all guided trips.

WDWFanatic
04-12-2012, 02:06 PM
My DS has only fished off the bridge at Pop, but he's gotten some pretty nice fish, only catch and release, and no cost :thumbsup:. I don't know if there is anywhere at Poly like that. You will have to give us an update if you go on one of the fishing trips.

magicofdisney
04-12-2012, 02:39 PM
The only fishing we've done at Disney was at POR. You fish off the dock there with cane poles.

You can buy worms from them, however my dad brought some white bread. We rolled it up into balls and dropped our lines in without using the bobbers. We had much success using that bread. Others were getting nowhere with their worm bait. We probably caught 4-5 fish within our allotted time. Of course they were the smaller brim variety, but it was fun nonetheless.

I hope you have a great excursion for your trip.

spoiledraf
04-12-2012, 03:10 PM
I can give you this much help about the Seven Seas Lagoon but not about Bay Lake. Always staying at the Poly I can say I don't see the fishing excursions out later than mid to late morning. So I doubt the fishing is good in the afternoon, and never near dusk either. You might want to plan for AM.

We do see catches frequently in the AM and they seem a decent size. But since it's purely catch and release you never see them close up. But they are fairly big from a distance. They are all guided trips.

Thanks for the input. Last time I fished Seven Seas, the guide said they were actually doing better in the mid day trips, but that was five or six years ago and a lot depends on the weather. They do promote a 1pm excursion and I thought it would be something we could do ater a morning in the MK.
Have to think about and see what the weather looks like. If it's extremely hot every day leading up to our trip, I'll probably pass. If it's only mid 80's, it might be a go!

Bethanymouse
04-12-2012, 09:48 PM
My dad and brother always do this when we go to WDW. They book an early morning excursion and go on the Lagoon. They love it and always catch a bunch of fish!

TexansInNY
04-13-2012, 04:30 PM
We always go and love it - November trip a front just moved through and it was cold so I thought it would be bad...guide still knew where to go and caught lots of fish and kid got a nice 3-4 pound bass. Also got to meet and feed the bird by Poly/GF that has his own Facebook page. It is always great!
:mickey: