PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness DVC

DizneyFreak2002
04-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm posting this here for now as it really is only a rumor at this point, but all signs are pointing to this being actual legit news so if the mods feel this should go to the DVC thread, then by all means....

Plans have been submitted by Disney for DVC villas to be added to Fort Wilderness...

As per Epcyclopedia's site:

http://www.epcyclopedia.com/2012/04/02/walt-disney-world-fort-wilderness-dvc-files-to-start-construction-soon/

So, what could be next after GF and Fort Wilderness??? My guess is Polynesian... Now that DVC project is one worth watching...

DVC2004
04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
That's a strange place to put DVC...they already have V@WL so I wonder what the "theme" would be?

I'm all for Poly villas though.

DizneyRox
04-10-2012, 03:16 PM
They already have the cabins, so why not "sell" them to DVC members and not have to worry so much on upkeep, etc.

Very strang indees, however pretty much all the other deluxe hotels have DVC already don't they? Poly would be the last one (and yacht club, but that's really Beach Club anyway in my eyes).

DizneyFreak2002
04-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Well this will make use of the waste land known as River Country... The theme will probably be Wild West whereas Wilderness Lodge theme is more like forest area/national park type setting... I guess the best way to describe it would be a 17th century settlement post, not a lodge in the woods (Wilderness Lodge) for I guess hunters... That's the best I can try to describe it...

And supposedly this is 1 of five or six DVC locations being planned... Other than Poly and a second tower at Contemporary, I cannot even begin to think where the other DVCs could go... Epcot World Showcase perhaps??? And yes, that has been a rumor before...

DVC2004
04-10-2012, 04:27 PM
And supposedly this is 1 of five or six DVC locations being planned... Other than Poly and a second tower at Contemporary, I cannot even begin to think where the other DVCs could go... Epcot World Showcase perhaps??? And yes, that has been a rumor before...

OMG, World Showcase !?! :thedolls: I think it would be so bizarro to have a DVC resort in-park...but then again imagine the premium they could charge lol. $$$

I know a few years back the sights were set on non theme park locations. Cabo was one place, also somewhere in the mountains for a ski resort was being looked at, and that whole DC area thing they pulled out of. However I don't know if they've changed focus again and just figure the theme park locations are their money maker. Don't have to purchase the land since it's already owned by the company for one.

IDK they'd have to make something pretty special for me to want to buy at Ft. Wilderness. But , they do have all that land back there. Interesting to see what develops with this.

DizneyFreak2002
04-10-2012, 05:39 PM
OMG, World Showcase !?! :thedolls: I think it would be so bizarro to have a DVC resort in-park...but then again imagine the premium they could charge lol. $$$

I know a few years back the sights were set on non theme park locations. Cabo was one place, also somewhere in the mountains for a ski resort was being looked at, and that whole DC area thing they pulled out of. However I don't know if they've changed focus again and just figure the theme park locations are their money maker. Don't have to purchase the land since it's already owned by the company for one.

IDK they'd have to make something pretty special for me to want to buy at Ft. Wilderness. But , they do have all that land back there. Interesting to see what develops with this.

I'm a DVC member too and I'd HATE HATE HATE DVC attached to World Showcase... Now, if they wanted to build DVC by Epcot, then I'd be OK with that... But to attach it to the park??? I dunno... IF, and again, it is IF, they are really planning to do something like that, they have to do it right... And I do not trust them to do it right...

DVC2004
04-10-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm a DVC member too and I'd HATE HATE HATE DVC attached to World Showcase... Now, if they wanted to build DVC by Epcot, then I'd be OK with that... But to attach it to the park??? I dunno... IF, and again, it is IF, they are really planning to do something like that, they have to do it right... And I do not trust them to do it right...

Yes another by Epcot would be good, outside of the park if done right, would be great.

DizneyFreak2002
04-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Yes another by Epcot would be good, outside of the park if done right, would be great.

I wish I was good at Photoshop because I came up with a concept dealing with putting the DVC attached to World Showcase where it wouldn't be obtrusive... But then again, do they really care about obtrusive??? I'm talking to you Swan and Dolphin!!! :mad:

Carol
04-10-2012, 06:38 PM

They certainly "did it right" in California.

DizneyFreak2002
04-10-2012, 08:05 PM
They certainly "did it right" in California.

I view that as a whole different animal.. We are talking backstage in World Showcase... I admit though, I am not familiar with the layout of the Paradise Pier Hotel, right??? How much backstage is visible from the hotel???

Now, if the hotel is built by International Gateway and that gateway is used as the entrance to the park from the resort, and the views from the hotel do not include backstage, then I'd consider that done right... But there isn't enough room over there, looking at Google Earth... Thanks to Yacht and Beach Club...

So, if they put it behind World Showcase or actually IN world Showcase, I dunno... I don't trust that to be done right...

TinkerbellT421
04-10-2012, 08:10 PM
So, what could be next after GF and Fort Wilderness??? My guess is Polynesian... Now that DVC project is one worth watching...

Very interesting! Thanks for the info! I would love to stay at Poly if it became DVC, though i am sure the point allocation would be completely out of the realm of possibility for DBF and I unless we skipped a year....

But then again, do they really care about obtrusive??? I'm talking to you Swan and Dolphin!!! :mad:

:funny::funny: MUHAHAHA! THANK YOU! That literally made laugh out loud.

DizneyFreak2002
04-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Very interesting! Thanks for the info! I would love to stay at Poly if it became DVC, though i am sure the point allocation would be completely out of the realm of possibility for DBF and I unless we skipped a year....

:funny::funny: MUHAHAHA! THANK YOU! That literally made laugh out loud.

I'm also trying to figure out how they would do DVC in Polynesian... I mean, they COULD designate one section to DVC... But something tells me any addition to Poly for DVC would include, um, tearing down the entire Poly resort... Which kind of fits into the rumors of the Grand Ceremonial House needing to be rebuilt for one reason or another... But, any Poly DVC would be years away so everything would be rumors or just arm chair imagineering...

VWL Mom
04-10-2012, 08:19 PM
That's a strange place to put DVC...they already have V@WL so I wonder what the "theme" would be?

I was thinking the same thing but then began digging around online for Disney hotels that never came to be. I found the Fort Wilderness Junction concept which was scrapped in the early 1990's. It was to be setup similar to the boardwalk area with a Wild West theme. Maybe?

DizneyFreak2002
04-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I was thinking the same thing but then began digging around online for Disney hotels that never came to be. I found the Fort Wilderness Junction concept which was scrapped in the early 1990's. It was to be setup similar to the boardwalk area with a Wild West theme. Maybe?

This... :thumbsup:

I understand there may be some train that would be coming back... I believe the Fort Wilderness Railroad????

TinkerbellT421
04-10-2012, 08:45 PM
But, any Poly DVC would be years away so everything would be rumors or just arm chair imagineering...
:thumbsup: But we are all pretty good at that aren't we? Somedays I think we should be Imagineers :D Hey, a girl can dream lol

Nice, runs to google.....:thumbsup:

This... :thumbsup:

I understand there may be some train that would be coming back... I believe the Fort Wilderness Railroad????

Now THAT would be cool! DBF always says he wanted to stay at Fort Wilderness....there being DVC outside of the Villas would be cool. It's on the bottom of my to stay list, but that would make it interesting....

DVC2004
04-11-2012, 09:23 AM

Hmm I'll have to look that up. Maybe I've judged too quickly!

Ian
04-11-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm a DVC member too and I'd HATE HATE HATE DVC attached to World Showcase... Now, if they wanted to build DVC by Epcot, then I'd be OK with that... But to attach it to the park??? I dunno... IF, and again, it is IF, they are really planning to do something like that, they have to do it right... And I do not trust them to do it right...Not that DL and WDW are the same place by any means, but from all I've heard the VGC are awesome and very nicely integrated with DCA.

Personally, I think it would be incredible to have a resort like that in WDW. That's one of the things I love about DL vs. WDW. Everything is so close and intimate feeling at DL. If they could recreate that feeling a bit by integrating resorts with the parks that works for me. :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
04-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Not that DL and WDW are the same place by any means, but from all I've heard the VGC are awesome and very nicely integrated with DCA.

Personally, I think it would be incredible to have a resort like that in WDW. That's one of the things I love about DL vs. WDW. Everything is so close and intimate feeling at DL. If they could recreate that feeling a bit by integrating resorts with the parks that works for me. :thumbsup:

Reading about the DVC in World Showcase, the villas would be attached to pavilions... See, that is what I don't like... if it was a stand alone hotel, off to the side, with an entrance into World Showcase, OK, as long as it doesn't intrude on sightlines... But to attach and build villas in the pavilions??? I don't know...

If something like that ever did happen (again, IF), I'd have to see the concept art before forming an honest opinion... But based on reading up on the rumored plan, I'm not liking it... But, I reserve the right to change my mind :)

Ian
04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Reading about the DVC in World Showcase, the villas would be attached to pavilions... See, that is what I don't like... if it was a stand alone hotel, off to the side, with an entrance into World Showcase, OK, as long as it doesn't intrude on sightlines... But to attach and build villas in the pavilions??? I don't know...And see, I think that could be awesome depending on how it was executed.

Just throwing it out there, but imagine if they built little haciendas adjacent to the Mexico pavilion and they were well themed and well integrated. Carry that concept throughout ... so a nice little Italian village hooked into the Italy pavilion and things like that. That could really add to the World Showcase atmosphere as well as bringing them closer to bringing Walt's original vision for Epcot to life.

Now of course this is all dependent on them doing a good job with it and that's been a bit touch and go with TDO in recent years.

Roger's #1 Fan
04-11-2012, 12:45 PM
The other possiblity would be to add countries with DVCs included.
I would love to see Russia or some of the other rumored countries brought to World Showcase and this might be the model to finally get them built.

DizneyFreak2002
04-11-2012, 01:32 PM
And see, I think that could be awesome depending on how it was executed.

Just throwing it out there, but imagine if they built little haciendas adjacent to the Mexico pavilion and they were well themed and well integrated. Carry that concept throughout ... so a nice little Italian village hooked into the Italy pavilion and things like that. That could really add to the World Showcase atmosphere as well as bringing them closer to bringing Walt's original vision for Epcot to life.

Now of course this is all dependent on them doing a good job with it and that's been a bit touch and go with TDO in recent years.

That's the key, depending how it is executed... I'd still rather see World Showcase get what it deserves, new countries and attractions... DVC villas are not what World Showcase needs...

DizneyFreak2002
04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
The other possiblity would be to add countries with DVCs included.
I would love to see Russia or some of the other rumored countries brought to World Showcase and this might be the model to finally get them built.

As long as the villas are integrated perfectly (and TDO is, well, nevermind)... But again, villas will not make World Showcase better... New countries, new attractions... new dining options, THAT is what would make World Showcase great... Now, if they wanted to build a resort behind the park, in some empty areas, and allow a walk over to World Showcase, and theme the resort to each country, making a little village, then OK... But actually inside World Showcase??? I dunno...

Add Russia (like you said)... Add Greece, maybe Spain, or better yet, Brazil... Add in a Canadian Rockies river ride in Canada... In Brazil, take us on a journey through the rain forest... Finally build Mt Fuji in Japan not that Kodak is gone, or some simulator of the bullet train showing Japan's landscape, and history... Instead of an Italian village, give us a boat ride through Venice... Or in Germany, finally build the Rhine River boat ride... Yea, seems like too many boat rides, but they lend themselves perfect for these countries... How about updating Norway??? Maybe make it one large Scandinavian pavilion... I know people want characters out of World Showcase, but Mexico ended that so how about something from Ratatouille in France, like... La Ratatouille, and Remy's animatronic can be put to use...

All this is so much better than DVC villas...

waymickey
04-11-2012, 03:53 PM
DVC villas attached to countries would look nice if done right but I don't get how actually staying there would work?

Here are questions that spring to mind, help me please?

People staying there would walk in to their room right from EPCOT? What if they did not buy a park ticket? Pools and other recreation? (other then the park of course) Transportation? Laundry? Would they have to exit out back of the DVC and go around to the gate ? What about noise levels at night and basic maintenance they do at night after the park closes? Would it ruin the magic to see the park lit up and everything being hosed down?

I do not want to pass judgement on a rumor but I don't think I like the idea. DVC at the old River Country OK, POLY great, in a theme park :confused:

DizneyFreak2002
04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
DVC villas attached to countries would look nice if done right but I don't get how actually staying there would work?

Here are questions that spring to mind, help me please?

People staying there would walk in to their room right from EPCOT? What if they did not buy a park ticket? Pools and other recreation? (other then the park of course) Transportation? Laundry? Would they have to exit out back of the DVC and go around to the gate ? What about noise levels at night and basic maintenance they do at night after the park closes? Would it ruin the magic to see the park lit up and everything being hosed down?

I do not want to pass judgement on a rumor but I don't think I like the idea. DVC at the old River Country OK, POLY great, in a theme park :confused:

See, that is part of it... This is only a rumor, though it has been something that Disney has looked into... Doesn't mean it would ever work or be done, but it is something they did, and may still be looking into...

And I have no idea how entering and exiting would work... I'd hate the idea of hotels in the countries... Just hate it.. Especially with the force perspective of the current pavilions.. Things being small needing to look big, like Eiffel Tower and the Mexican pyramid, as well as American Adventure.. Actually, all the World Showcase pavilions... I really think attaching villas to the pavilions would be a huge mistake...

If they wanted to build a world village resort to one side of World Showcase, or behind it somewhere near Boardwalk, and have an entrance into World Showcase from the resort via walking path (like International Gateway), then fine... As long as they don't built a monster tower... Something like Pop Century height, spread out, themed to villages of the countries currently in World Showcase would work... Just not a tower the size of Bay Lake...

Ian
04-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Not all that long ago (during the Eisner regime) Disney was actually very close to green-lighting a version of the Tower of Terror (maybe in DLP?) that was an actual hotel. Guests would have been able to stay right inside the attraction. Ultimately, though, it was shelved due to the practicality of it all ... people in their hotel rooms during the day would hardly want to listen to the shrieks and screams of ToT not to mention if the park was open until midnight or something.

But this would be fine, if you ask me. Like I said, if done right, it would actually add to the ambiance of the pavilion ... it might even make them feel more realistic. Imagine you've got a nicely themed Italian village there nestled up next to Tutto Italia with some sidewalk cafes, people dining al fresco, folks sitting on their balconies, maybe lounging by a well themed pool (something Riviera-esque maybe?). I think it could totally work and again remember that Walt's original vision for Epcot included people living there, so this is a step closer to that becoming a reality.

And the theme park entrance is no big deal. The Grand Californian has it's own entrance to DCA discreetly hidden in a place where it doesn't wreck the look and feel of the park. I'm sure that's what they'd do with these.

Bottom line (and this is probably my last word on this until it does or does not come to fruition), but if this was done well and done right I think it could be amazing.

BrerEmma
04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Would these DVC Villas use the space of the old River Country? Would they totally tear it dow?:mickey:

Ed
04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Would these DVC Villas use the space of the old River Country? Would they totally tear it dow?:mickey:

Several months ago, I saw drawings of what was planned, and yes - - it did use the River Country area. There was still water in the center, but there was no mention of the fate of the water slides, etc., although I suspect they would be torn down.

DizneyFreak2002
04-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Several months ago, I saw drawings of what was planned, and yes - - it did use the River Country area. There was still water in the center, but there was no mention of the fate of the water slides, etc., although I suspect they would be torn down.

I agree with you Ed.. I would suspect anything standing in River Country would be torn down... Someone posted elsewhere that the shape of the DVC resort is of a man riding a horse... If they pull that off, kudos... LOL....

diz_girl
04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Sorry that I'm a little late to the game on commenting about this, but what rocket scientist thought this up? Exactly who has been clamoring for DVC units at Fort Wilderness? Anyone? Can you see people ponying up $140-150 per point at FW? How many current DVC owners would add on there? GF, yes. Poly, yes. FW, probably not.

I'm not knocking FW. It's someplace that I'd like to try in the future, as I am the new owner of a vintage 1967 Airstream Safari, but it's just that DVC units are being attached to Deluxe resorts and FW is not one of them. If this happens, can anyone see these selling well? I know that VWL is very popular, but it's also right next to WL, which has a great look and a stunning lobby. What the FW DVC would need to be are all treehouses. Then they would sell like hotcakes. If they're treehouses, then whomever thought this up IS a genius. I couldn't tell by what was on the Website, as the drawings were too faint.

ChipNDale79
04-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Sorry that I'm a little late to the game on commenting about this, but what rocket scientist thought this up? Exactly who has been clamoring for DVC units at Fort Wilderness? Anyone? Can you see people ponying up $140-150 per point at FW? How many current DVC owners would add on there? GF, yes. Poly, yes. FW, probably not.

I'm not knocking FW. It's someplace that I'd like to try in the future, as I am the new owner of a vintage 1967 Airstream Safari, but it's just that DVC units are being attached to Deluxe resorts and FW is not one of them. If this happens, can anyone see these selling well? I know that VWL is very popular, but it's also right next to WL, which has a great look and a stunning lobby. What the FW DVC would need to be are all treehouses. Then they would sell like hotcakes. If they're treehouses, then whomever thought this up IS a genius. I couldn't tell by what was on the Website, as the drawings were too faint.

Id love it, as a father of one boy and another one on the way, I could totally see how owning a DVC here would be loads of fun. FW has a lot to offer, and for those of us who don't want to pull down our camper or stay at the cabins at FW, this is a great alternative. I think you'll be surprised with how well Disney will pull this off and how many people would love to stay here.

DizneyFreak2002
04-30-2012, 02:55 PM

They won't be treehouses... And you'll be surprised how may people would buy into DVC at Fort Wilderness...

diz_girl
05-01-2012, 09:53 AM
I hope that I'm wrong and that they turn out well and sell well.

Crow
05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Japan for me please...Id stay there..the problem is DVC is one of the few (other than highest deluxes) that I havent stayed in due to $. and the theming of SS doesnt really thrill me..maybe OKW...
anyway I always said if WL could b by Epcot that would b great. my fav resort by my fav park.
they have areas of the pavilions they dont use dont they. like Germany they used to say a ride was planned for the 2nd floor or some such.
and there is enough area in WS for more countries..maybe they will do DVC instead since they cant get any other countries to support them right now.

Auroring Good Time
05-04-2012, 01:15 PM
About a month ago, my mother said "I wish they had DVC at the campground. I miss staying there."
We've stayed at the campground about 5 times and loved it. I like the peace and quiet and no one around. I like the camping feel with all the amenities. I like the idea of being able to bbq on the deck. I would definitely stay at a DVC at the campground.