PDA

View Full Version : More Yellowstone Help.

NJGIRL
04-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Ok this is our trip that is planned so far.

Flying into Salt Lake City on Thursday. Should arrive about 11:00 AM, getting the rental car, stopping at a grocery store for drinks, snacks and some light breakfast food.

Driving to Jackson, should take us about 6 hours. Staying at The Rustic Inn which is about half a mile from the town square. Includes free buffet breakfast. Will have our own cabin with private bathroom. Will be in Jackson Thursday, Friday, Saturday, leaving Sunday morning. We will have two whole days in Jackson to do things.

Driving to the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone on Sunday. Should take us about 3 hours. Have a geyser side room with private bathroom. Made dinner reservations at Old Faithful Inn for all five nights just to be sure to have a place to eat. Probably won't eat there each night once we know were else there is to eat. Will have Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri to do things.

Checking out of OFL and driving back to Salt Lake City on Sat. Should take us about 6 hours. Staying at an Embassy Suite near the airport. Our flight leaves SLC on Sunday at 5:00 pm. Will have a couple of hours on Sunday to explore SLC.

I know in Jackson we will be doing a scenic float ride and seeing the gun fight in town on one day but need something else to do the next day. We might expolre the Teton's on the next day but need some suggestions. I think I want to do another organized tour so I am looking for suggestions for the second day.

In Yellowstone I am booking the Yellow Bus Safari tour. Also, booking a short cruise of Yellowstone Lake . Have read thru a whole travel book and have read about all of the trails and have a good idea of what we want to see, but again I want to book some organized tours. I am lookong into the ranger tours but want to find a semi private trail tour guide. Any suggestions from those who have done this?

We don't mind walking but I am a little nervous about running into bears on the trails or getting lost, that is why we want a trail guide. Have read to always carry bear spray. Who has carried this and were do you get it? Can it be put in your luggage?

I guess I am also looking for more guided tours in Yellowstone. We are interested in seeing geysers, water falls, the canyon and wildlife. How far off the beaten path do we need to go for this?

Lastly we need something to do for a few hours in Utah. Any suggestions?

I'm excited about this trip, but a little on edge since it is new to use. The Grand Canyon was an easier trip to plan.

Altair
04-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Do not miss Mormon Row off Antelope Flats Road in the Tetons. Best photo spot in the park. Do a search. http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6132/5941080432_44943929c6_b.jpg

dnickels
04-10-2012, 08:59 AM
In Jackson: Taking the tram up to the top of Targhee ski area is an easy way to get up to a great high elevation view of the valley. If I remember correctly, the ski area immediately adjacent Jackson (Snow King) also has that option. If you're mountain bikers you can rent bikes, take the trams to the top and then ride back down to the base of the mtn. Grand Teton has a number of beautiful overlooks, boat tours and of course hiking as well. In the past I've taken a charter fishing trip on Jackson Lake. You also might google 'jackson wyoming calendar of events' to see if there are any festivals or rodeos or anything unique going on during the dates you're there.

Bear Spray: Last I checked cannot be carried on the plane. You can buy it at any of the nat'l park visitor centers out there (my last can was around 34 bucks) or any outdoor sports type store. Towards the end of your trip you might look for people who have just arrived and offer to sell it to them for a discount since again, I don't think you can bring it back with you on the plane. Keep in mind that Yellowstone went 25 years without a fatality until the two unfortunate incidents last year. For a park that's received around 3 million visitors a year for as long as I can remember that means your risk from bears is incredibly miniscule. Pay attention to the warnings, carry the spray and know how to use it and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Most of the major attractions in Yellowstone are just a short distance from the roadway and will be packed with other tourists. There are many more thermal features and waterfalls that are off the beaten path if you want some solitude but you won't run out of things to see in close proximity to the road if you're there for just a week.

Not sure who to recommend regarding the privately guided hikes as I've never taken one (but I see several companies listed if you google for it), but don't write off the ranger-guided hikes and don't be afraid to do some shortish hikes (i.e. under 10 miles round trip or hikes listed as 'day hikes') on your own. Any of the day hikes are well marked and trails will be closed if there has been worrisome bear activity.

You can't do it all in an entire summer, let alone a week and a half, so be sure to slow down and enjoy it rather than rushing to get to the next geyser basin or being upset at the traffic jam caused by everyone stopping to look at another bison (you'll see what I mean by the end of the trip).

NJGIRL
04-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Do not miss Mormon Row off Antelope Flats Road in the Tetons. Best photo spot in the park. Do a search. http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6132/5941080432_44943929c6_b.jpg

Beautiful picture. I read about the cabins in my travel book. We will have to check them out.

NJGIRL
04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
dnickels, thanks for all of the info. We don't like to rush around and intend for this to be a slower paced trip anyway.

One other question. Does anyone know how far the town of Cody is, time wise? Is it worth the trip?

MNNHFLTX
04-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Rita, my husband and I have decided to go to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons too! In fact, I'll be interested in hearing about the Rustic Inn in Jackson, since we might stay there too (depending on when you go--we go in mid-August). Aren't Jackson's hotel prices something else? :eek: They (almost) make Disney World's resort prices look modest.

We are flying into Bozeman, staying in West Yellowstone for a few days to tour the park and then traveling south to spend some time in Grand Teton National Park (Jackson Lake Lodge) and on to Jackson. We are actually flying back to Houston from Jackson, to help minimize the time spent driving.

As far as bears, we've hiked in bear country quite a few times. I'm sure you'll be able to get bear spray pretty much anywhere around Yellowstone--even in convenience stores. Some resorts/lodges even have some that guests can borrow. The other thing is to just ask the park rangers which trails have bear activity (most times they will close these trails if they think the risk is significant). Otherwise just make sure and periodically make noise while you are hiking, so that you don't take any nearby bears by surprise. Some people like bear bells, but simply talking to each other as you walk along is usually enough. And definitely don't hike alone.

Altair
04-10-2012, 07:18 PM
One other question. Does anyone know how far the town of Cody is, time wise? Is it worth the trip?

Cody is about 1 1/2 hours from the east entrance. I would not recommend using park time to go there. For those traveling into the park through the east entrance it's has some nice sites, such as the Cody Museum and the old Ghost Town.

NJGIRL
04-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks Dave!

OMG, Beth, that's when we will be there! And Yes! I was just telling a girlfriend about the prices, they are crazy! Our Old Faithful Inn room is $300 per night and the Rustic Inn Cabin is $400 per night! I have stayed in rooms that were that expensive before, but I can tell by the pictures that these rooms aren't worth the cost.

I told my girlfriend that I think this is going to be the most expensive vacation we have ever taken. Even Italy wasn't this expensive per day averaged out.

Altair
04-14-2012, 09:38 AM
My personal "must do's":

Teton's
Mormon Row
Hidden Falls, hike entire or take boat from Jenny Lake
Chapel of the Transconfiguration
Raft trip on Snake River

Yellowstone
Mystic Falls
Crystal Falls
Fairy Falls
Storm Point trail
Lamar Valley for Grizzly Bears
Mount Washburn, there are two ways up, the old road is the easiest. You should see Big Horn Sheep here.
Uncle Tom's trail, lots of steps
Observation Point for different Old Faithful view
Morning Glory Pool
Trout Lake
Artist's Point