PDA

View Full Version : Mailing things to WDW

CosmicRay
04-09-2012, 06:05 PM
We leave in one month!!! And I am thinking of the things I need to bring. I have heard of people sending some things ahead of them to their resort. Can someone walk me through what exactly I need to do? We are flying and the airline we are going through charges a fee for every bag. So I would like to make this a great trip, without the extra costs.

forever a child
04-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I have used FedEx which in my opinion gives the best rate for heavy boxes. I ship 1 week before we arrive via ground. You will want to place the resort mailing address. Your ressies number on the box and "Attn: Your Name"
I think that about covers it.

I have heard rumors from the past (not sure if they are doing it) but there was talk of the resort charging a fee for boxes shipped. Maybe some else can address if that is now being implemented. I think CSR has been doing it since it is a convention center resort.

NJGIRL
04-09-2012, 06:44 PM
My tip is to use Garden Grocer instead of mailing things down.

Dopey's Girl
04-09-2012, 07:56 PM
My tip is to use Garden Grocer instead of mailing things down.

Me too. They have so much stuff you can order, I have never needed something they haven't had. The price is slightly more than at home, but in line with what you pay in resort areas.

NJGIRL
04-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Me too. They have so much stuff you can order, I have never needed something they haven't had. The price is slightly more than at home, but in line with what you pay in resort areas.

Plus their delivery charge is only $12, which is cheaper than you will pay mailing heavy packages, especially if you plan to mail down water or other drinks.

They have a $40 min, but spending $40 in groceries isn't hard. I always get water, soda, gatoraid , OJ, bagels, cream cheese, muffins, tasty cakes and chips (enough for four of us for breakfast for 7 days) and there's our $40.

tdk316
04-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I've been mailing things to myself there for years. It's easy! I use UPS ground and address the package like this:

Resort name
Resort Address
Attn: Your Name
Arriving: Date

I do not put my reservation number on the package. UPS doesn't need to know that and if WDW wants it they have my name and arrival date. Not sure it matters either way, but it makes me feel better.

Depending upon where you're staying a $10/package storage fee may be assessed. This happens at Contemporary and BLT for sure (I've paid it many, many, many times there) and I've heard it also happens at other convention resorts. When we stayed at Boardwalk the package was delivered to our room while we were eating dinner without our requesting it and without a fee. :D

If you think you'll be mailing stuff home also, save the box and take it to bell services and they'll be happy to assist you. If you're checking out on Sunday the package will not go out until Monday morning.

Hope that answers everything. It was really worth it for us to mail diapers, wipes and other baby items to ourselves instead of worrying about having them in the luggage.

tdk316
04-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Plus their delivery charge is only $12, which is cheaper than you will pay mailing heavy packages, especially if you plan to mail down water or other drinks.

Case of water mailed from Costco is $8.49. ;)

NJGIRL
04-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Case of water mailed from Costco is $8.49. ;)

Yes, but that is just for the water. The $12 fee is for everything you order from GG and I'm pretty sure the OP was getting more than just water.

If you can mail everything you need from home for less than $12 (including the box)then mailing from home is worth it. If you are spending $15 or more then the GG is worth the delivery cost. I just know my experience with mailing on Ebay is that even the smallest packages cost a fortune to mail.

forever a child
04-09-2012, 08:38 PM
I have mailed bottled water, cola's, juice, cereal, granola, snacks, coffee, plates, silverware, napkins, bowls, personal shampoos, soaps, sunblock, raincoats, etc. Saved $ shopping a few months before and buying it myself. Shipped it all myself. Calculated my drinks to cost $1.00 each with shipping (vs. $2.50 at WDW) and that alone paid for the value I saved shopping at home, having more than I could have justified paying through GG or anywhere else. Used everything by the end of the week!

I appreciate people suggesting places like GG or how else would others learn of it as an option, but I prefer to do it myself...as do many other people. :thumbsup:

EeyoresBestFriend
04-13-2012, 07:10 PM
I have mailed bottled water, cola's, juice, cereal, granola, snacks, coffee, plates, silverware, napkins, bowls, personal shampoos, soaps, sunblock, raincoats, etc. Saved $ shopping a few months before and buying it myself. Shipped it all myself. Calculated my drinks to cost $1.00 each with shipping (vs. $2.50 at WDW) and that alone paid for the value I saved shopping at home, having more than I could have justified paying through GG or anywhere else. Used everything by the end of the week!

I appreciate people suggesting places like GG or how else would others learn of it as an option, but I prefer to do it myself...as do many other people. :thumbsup:

Good Gad!! That doesn't sound like a vacation at all !! :jaw:

I've never thought of myself as high maintenance before. It's my vacation and I want to be away from chores, but you make me FEEL REALLY high maintenance! :D

Mom on a Mission
04-17-2012, 07:39 PM
The only time I ever shipped was when we went for a short trip in December and I wanted a mini Christmas tree in the room. Crazy, I know. :) For drinks and breakfast items I swear by GG. Easy to shop, easy to receive. Worth every penny. Also, the resort shops have surprisingly inexpensive basics like milk for cereal if you run out. At least CR did our last visit. It may be that is because BLT is right there with DVC members.

faline
04-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Are you using Magical Express or a car service? If you use a car service such as Quicksilver (Intercot sponsor), you could have a free 20 minute grocery stop where you could pick up the supplies you need on the way to your resort.

CosmicRay
05-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Thank you all for your help and tips! We are having a girls trip and I made outfits for three lucky little girls for every day we will be there. Plus I bought some night gowns, bought some fun toys, made hair bows for each day and have the Disney spray fan bottles. The airlines we are going with charge a hefty fee for checked baggage. So I decided we would just take carry on and mail the rest. I won't be coming back with much (unless the stores call to me!)

And we are taking Magical Express to the resort so we won't be stopping on the way to OKW.

Thank you for all your help! I love hearing the ideas and getting the help I need! I can always count on you!