PDA

View Full Version : Mlb 2012

DizneyFreak2002
04-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Season has started and is in full swing... Not too late to make predictions, long season ahead, 160 games left... Here are my division standings predictions, wild card team predictions, and world series predictions.

NL EAST
1. Phillies
2. Nationals
3. Marlins
4. Braves
5. Mets

NL CENTRAL
1. Cards
2. Reds
3. Brewers
4. Pirates
5. Cubs
6. Astros

NL WEST
1. Giants
2. Diamondbacks
3. Rockies
4. Dodgers
5. Padres

WILD CARD TEAMS: Diamondsbacks and Reds

AL EAST
1. Rays
2. Yankees
3. Blue Jays
4. Red Sox
5. Orioles

AL CENTRAL
1. Tigers
2. Indians
3. White Sox
4. Twins
5. Royals

AL WEST
1. Angels
2. Rangers
3. Mariners
4. A's

WILD CARD: Yankees and Rangers

WORLD SERIES: Angels vs Phillies

CHAMPS: Angels

TinkerbellT421
04-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Red Sox are going to have a tough struggling year. :-o

DizneyFreak2002
04-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Red Sox are going to have a tough struggling year. :-o

I think so.... They have more problems than I think people realize... Their starting pitching isn't good after Lester... Their bullpen is really in shambles... Their shortstop is weak... I'm not confident they will be challenging for a wild card this year... not with the Angels beefing up, Tampa Bay having the best starting pitching in the AL and adding offense to their team... The Tigers are strong... I think the Red Sox may be in for a rough year... Happens though... They will bounce back... providing their GM is a good one... Theo was an excellent GM...

TinkerbellT421
04-07-2012, 11:34 PM
You pretty much nailed it right on the head. It's going to be a rough, painful year for me, even more than usual, it should be over quick though, not the usual August September downfall, it will be a pretty consistent downfall for the year. I was heartbroken when Francona and Theo left the team. Francona was the best manager they have had in years. I am not confident in Valentine. At all. :(

Quadstriker
04-08-2012, 02:50 AM
12 in '12.

DizneyFreak2002
04-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Wow, the first time since 1966 both Yankees and Red Sox have started off 0-3...

Melanie
04-08-2012, 11:14 PM

It was great being there today for the sweep. Go Rays!

TinkerbellT421
04-08-2012, 11:24 PM

It's going to be a slow sad year :sick:

They can lose every game this year as long as they win at least one, the one I will be at for my birthday on the 21st against the Yankees :D

DizneyFreak2002
04-08-2012, 11:26 PM
It's going to be a slow sad year :sick:

They can lose every game this year as long as they win at least one, the one I will be at for my birthday on the 21st against the Yankees :D

These series between these two teams are going to be like watching two little league teams who can't pitch, hit, field, run, etc... LOL... in other words, BORING..

TinkerbellT421
04-09-2012, 12:37 AM
These series between these two teams are going to be like watching two little league teams who can't pitch, hit, field, run, etc... LOL... in other words, BORING..

Sadly, that is a true story lol Flip a coin it's who's going to win, barely lol

TinkerbellT421
04-09-2012, 12:38 AM

oh yea! And thankfully the tickets were given to me, because I would be complete PO'd if I actually paid the prices they want for these tickets lol.

DizneyFreak2002
04-09-2012, 01:02 AM
oh yea! And thankfully the tickets were given to me, because I would be complete PO'd if I actually paid the prices they want for these tickets lol.

The ticket prices are one reason I won't go to a Yankee game... I cannot justify paying those obscene prices... I'll stay home and watch the game on TV...

TinkerbellT421
04-09-2012, 08:08 AM
The ticket prices are one reason I won't go to a Yankee game... I cannot justify paying those obscene prices... I'll stay home and watch the game on TV...

:exactly::ditto: I have been fortunate enough to go to four Sox games, one in which was the Playoff games against the Yanks, the 4th game with the 14 inning game that Ortiz hit the game winning home run to lead them into the 4 game sweep and then win the World Series, so I have thanked my lucky stars for the friends I have :D Tix prices are obsurd.

Sad part is even though I got free tickets, it's still going to be about a $200.00 day and we are taking the train which is like $10 instead of the $60 they will want for parking. But between food and beer, etc. it's easily a $200.00 day. :sick:

BayLaker25
04-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Being a huge Phillies phan...(yes it's ph here during baseball season instead of a f)...I like that you have them in the world series but not sure I see that happening with the lack of offense and aging players. I really hope your right but right now it's kind of hard to see it happening, the pitching is amazing but it can only get you so far. I don't know if I would put nationals above the marlins but all in all a pretty good breakdown.

DizneyFreak2002
04-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Being a huge Phillies phan...(yes it's ph here during baseball season instead of a f)...I like that you have them in the world series but not sure I see that happening with the lack of offense and aging players. I really hope your right but right now it's kind of hard to see it happening, the pitching is amazing but it can only get you so far. I don't know if I would put nationals above the marlins but all in all a pretty good breakdown.

They still have the best pitching in the NL, and pitching wins championships (mostly)... I think they can sustain the loss of Howard with their pitching...

Hey Tink... 1-3.. WOO HOOO lol

TinkerbellT421
04-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Hey Tink... 1-3.. WOO HOOO lol

It was an ugly ugly stressful win. lol. But a win is a win right? LOL

DizneyFreak2002
04-10-2012, 11:13 AM
And someone check to see if the Mets rehired Kurt Radomski and he is back to issuing steroids... Off to a very nice 4-0 start...

Quadstriker
04-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Congratulations to Mr. Jamie Moyer (yes, THAT Jamie Moyer) for becoming the oldest player ever to record a win in a major league baseball game yesterday at the crisp age of 49 years 150 days old. :cool:

tjstrike
04-20-2012, 06:56 PM
I know it's way to early to say, but these predictions aren't looking too good. :(

GO BRAVES !!!! :thumbsup:

PirateLover
04-22-2012, 08:11 PM
It's a sad start for the Phils, however they ALWAYS had slow starts up until the last 2 years. And we are missing our 2 best players. Howard will be back at some point, when is still a question. Utley remains up in the air. So many mixed reports, I'm beginning to think he may not play at all this year. I think the Phillies need to weather the storm right now, but I still think we can pull it together and make another run as long as the pitching stays healthy (Of course we have Lee out right now with a strained oblique...)

Alaska Disney Fan
04-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I think it's time to rethink your AL west standings. The Angels have gotten themselves in a pretty big hole early, something they may not get out of :D. Texas :ack: looks to be the best team in the league, this early on. I will continue to root for my Mariners :number1:, and hope they can make it as a wildcard, although I know they won't make it too far into the playoffs.

DizneyFreak2002
04-27-2012, 07:17 PM
I think it's time to rethink your AL west standings. The Angels have gotten themselves in a pretty big hole early, something they may not get out of :D. Texas :ack: looks to be the best team in the league, this early on. I will continue to root for my Mariners :number1:, and hope they can make it as a wildcard, although I know they won't make it too far into the playoffs.

Can't adjust now... Season started...

It is still early and anything can happen... Honestly though, I hope the Angels keep falling flat on their face.. :)

Alaska Disney Fan
04-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Can't adjust now... Season started...

It is still early and anything can happen... Honestly though, I hope the Angels keep falling flat on their face.. :)

Something we both agree on! :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Something we both agree on! :thumbsup:

I'll post the standings May 1st to see how I am doing monthly... Hey, I may wind up getting them ALL wrong.. LoL..

indytraveler
04-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Long season ahead. Cubs fans though are already thinking next year. The weakest division in baseball NL Central, is living up to its billing.
Texas looks tough, the Dodgers looking good, although we'll see what happens when they play someone other than the Padres.

AL will be interesting, Detroit and Texas look to be the class. No Baltimore fans sounding off while you can? Like I said earlier, long season.

Thanks DizneyFreak2002 for posting your predictions. For the most part I agreed with them so we'll see.

DizneyFreak2002
04-28-2012, 10:46 PM
If the Yankees don't get their starting pitching together, the wild card will be up for grabs... I think the AL East will wind up beating up on each other making the race very interesting...

tjstrike
04-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Long season ahead. Cubs fans though are already thinking next year. The weakest division in baseball NL Central, is living up to its billing.
Texas looks tough, the Dodgers looking good, although we'll see what happens when they play someone other than the Padres.

AL will be interesting, Detroit and Texas look to be the class. No Baltimore fans sounding off while you can? Like I said earlier, long season.

Thanks DizneyFreak2002 for posting your predictions. For the most part I agreed with them so we'll see.

Really ?? The NL central the weakest division ? Last I checked, the 2 teams that played for the NLCS, not to mention the world series champions, came out of this division.

DizneyFreak2002
05-01-2012, 06:58 PM
OK here are the standing after play on April 30th...

AL East
Tampa Bay Rays 15-8 -----
Baltimore Orioles 14-9 (1 game back)
New York Yankees 13-9 (1.5 games back)
Toronto Blue Jays 12-11 (3 games back)
Boston Red Sox 11-11 (3.5 games back)

AL Central
Cleveland Indians 11-9
Chicago White Sox 11-11 (1 game back)
Detroit Tigers 11-11 (1 game back)
Kansas City Royals 6-15 (5.5 games back)
Minnesota Twins 6-16 (6 games back)

AL West
Texas Rangers 17-6
Oakland A's 11-13 (6.5 games back)
Seattle Mariners 11-13 (6.4 games back)
Los Angeles Angels 8-15 (9 games back)

Surprise team: Orioles... They weren't very good last year and really didn't do anything to improve their team over the winter... But Buck Showalter has them playing fundamentally sound baseball... Their pitching has been good, bullpen has been a beast... Detroit is off to a mediocre start and the Angels are just wretched... Pujols with NO home runs yet??? YIPPEE!!!!!!!

NL coming up next!!!

DizneyFreak2002
05-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Now for the National League standings...

NL East
Washington Senators 14-8
Atlanta Braves 14-9 (.5 game back)
New York Mets 13-10 (1.5 games back)
Philadelphia Phillies 11-12 (3.5 games back)
Miami Marlins 8-14 (6 games back)

NL Central
St. Louis Cardinals 14-8
Cincinnati Reds 11-11 (3 games out)
Milwaukee Brewers 11-12 (3.5 games out)
Pittsburgh Pirates 10-12 (4 games out)
Houston Astros 9-14 (5.5 games out)
Chicago Cubs 8-15 (6.5 games out)

NL West
Los Angeles Dodgers 16-7
San Francisco Giants 12-10 (3.5 games back)
Arizona Diamondbacks 12-11 (4.0 games back)
Colorado Rockies 11-11 (4.5 games back)
San Diego Padres 7-17 (9.5 games back)

Surprise team: Dodgers... GO DONNIE BASEBALL!!!! The Dodgers have been playing outstanding ball... Kemp is off to a scorching start... MVP this year: Matt Kemp (should have won it last year especially after Braun tested positive for PEDs)... I figured the Nationals would be good this year and they aren't disappointing... Their pitching has been terrific and now Bryce Harper is up... Let's see what the kid could do... The Mets are a shock too cause, let's face it, they aren't very good... But I am sure they will take 3 games over .500.... Also the Phillies, with their pitching, has been a disappointment... Miami also has to go down as being a disappointment early on... Maybe Ozzie the Big Mouth isn't that good of a manager after all...

Melanie
05-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Rays and Braves getting it done so far! :thumbsup:

Miami also has to go down as being a disappointment early on... Maybe Ozzie the Big Mouth isn't that good of a manager after all...

It's the new stadium = holy color explosion!

Seriously though, nice concourse area, and 100x better than Dolphin Stadium, but wow are the colors VERY Miami/South Beach. Eek!

DizneyFreak2002
05-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Rays and Braves getting it done so far! :thumbsup:

It's the new stadium = holy color explosion!

Seriously though, nice concourse area, and 100x better than Dolphin Stadium, but wow are the colors VERY Miami/South Beach. Eek!

I really don't like the Marlins new colors either... and the stadium, well, I don't know how it looks in person, but it looks nice on TV... But, yea, that color scheme, no thank you...

Quadstriker
05-02-2012, 03:11 AM
Cards and Rangers are absolutely destroying major league baseball in run differential (+56, 2.41 runs per game and +55, 2.43 runs per game, next highest is ATL with +19 0.91 runs per game!). I mean there's nobody even close.

So the smart money at this point would be on a World Series rematch. I'll take Texas in the AL and St. Louis in the NL in a last longer bet versus any other team in each's respective league.

indytraveler
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Really ?? The NL central the weakest division ? Last I checked, the 2 teams that played for the NLCS, not to mention the world series champions, came out of this division.

Congrats to the Central for having 1 team that is good and 4 teams that field a AAA team. You're playing about 30% of your season against your division so you will have a couple of teams that will have winning records. My point was the entire division stinks.

Let's take a look...
Cubs under .500 again playing decent now. Won't be near .500 come August
Astros last season in the NL, so young will finish 10-15 games under .500
Pirates another AAA team with some young talent. Won't pay to keep team together. They will finish 10-15 games under .500 as well

That leaves the Reds, Brewers, and Cardinals. The Reds have Dusty as their manager, the Brewers no starting pitching and that leaves the Cardinals as the team to beat. As far as World Series Champs go... They got hot at the right time last year with the help of the Brewers collapse made the playoffs. and anything can happen when a team gets hot.

Still the weakest division in baseball

Quadstriker
05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
AL central though

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2012, 03:09 PM
One more week left in May... These teams better start picking it up or else my picks may need to be tossed... LOL

DizneyFreak2002
06-01-2012, 01:43 PM
AL East
Tampa Bay Rays 15-8 -----
Baltimore Orioles 14-9 (1 game back)
New York Yankees 13-9 (1.5 games back)
Toronto Blue Jays 12-11 (3 games back)
Boston Red Sox 11-11 (3.5 games back)

AL Central
Cleveland Indians 11-9
Chicago White Sox 11-11 (1 game back)
Detroit Tigers 11-11 (1 game back)
Kansas City Royals 6-15 (5.5 games back)
Minnesota Twins 6-16 (6 games back)

AL West
Texas Rangers 17-6
Oakland A's 11-13 (6.5 games back)
Seattle Mariners 11-13 (6.4 games back)
Los Angeles Angels 8-15 (9 games back)

Above were the standings at the end of April heading into May... Below are the standing at the end of May heading into June...

AL EAST
Baltimore Orioles 29-22
Tampa Bay Rays 29-22
New York Yankees 27-23 (1.5 games back)
Toronto Blue Jays 27-24 (2 games back)
Boston Red Sox 26-25 (3 games back)

AL Central
Chicago White Sox 29-22
Cleveland Indians 27-23 (1.5 games back)
Detroit Tigers 24-27 (5 games back)
Kansas City Royals 21-28 (7 games back)
Minnesota Twins 18-32 (10.5 games back)

AL West
Texas Rangers 31-20
Los Angeles Angels 26-26 (5.5 games back)
Seattle Mariners 23-30 (9 games back)
Oakland A's 22-29 (9 games back)

Well, here come the Angels.. Pujols seems to finally be into the swing of things... Watching them against the Yankees this past week, that team has tremendous talent... They are going to be a force in the AL for the rest of the season...

The Orioles still remain the shocker... Still doing well... I don't expect t to last, but up to now, they have been playing some darn good baseball... Same for the White Sox... They are another team playing very inspired baseball...

The AL East, every team over .500... impressive, especially since the Red Sox got off to such a terrible start... This division is the one to watch and will come down to who beats each other up within the division... Still think the Rays are the cream of the crop in the East...

Could be that Kansas City doesn't finish in last this year?? The Twins are just not good..

Most disappointing team still goes to the Tigers... Getting late fast in Detroit...

NL next....

DizneyFreak2002
06-01-2012, 01:54 PM
NL East
Washington Senators 14-8
Atlanta Braves 14-9 (.5 game back)
New York Mets 13-10 (1.5 games back)
Philadelphia Phillies 11-12 (3.5 games back)
Miami Marlins 8-14 (6 games back)

NL Central
St. Louis Cardinals 14-8
Cincinnati Reds 11-11 (3 games out)
Milwaukee Brewers 11-12 (3.5 games out)
Pittsburgh Pirates 10-12 (4 games out)
Houston Astros 9-14 (5.5 games out)
Chicago Cubs 8-15 (6.5 games out)

NL West
Los Angeles Dodgers 16-7
San Francisco Giants 12-10 (3.5 games back)
Arizona Diamondbacks 12-11 (4.0 games back)
Colorado Rockies 11-11 (4.5 games back)
San Diego Padres 7-17 (9.5 games back)

Above are the standings as of April heading into May... Below are the standings at the end of May heading into June...

NL East
Washington Nationals 29-21
Miami Marlins 29-22 (.5 games back)
New York Mets 28-23 (1.5 games back)
Atlanta Braves 28-24 (2 games back)
Philadelphia Phillies 27-25 (3 games back)

NL Central
Cincinnati Reds 28-22
St. Louis Cardinals 27-24 (1.5 games back)
Pittsburgh Pirates 25-25 (3 games back)
Milwaukee Brewers 23-28 (5.5 games back)
Houston Astros 22-29 (6.5 games back)
Chicago Cubs 18-32 (10 games back)

NL West
Los Angeles Dodgers 32-19
San Francisco Giants 27-24 (5 games back)
Arizona Diamondbacks 23-28 (9 games back)
Colorado Rockies 21-29 (10.5 games back)
San Diego Padres 17-35 (15.5 games back)

Well, the Cubs are in their customary last place and going nowhere fast... The Padres are done... Not shocked by those two teams at all..

The Nationals continue to lead the East.. But the Marlins, where did they come from??? Suddenly, they are hot... Phillies fell into last place, but their record is above .500 and are totally in the race... The NL East is another division to watch... The surprising Mets remain relevant (for how long though???)... Going to be an exciting summer for these 5 teams...

Cincinnati pushed its way into first place in the Central... Glad to see the Pirates back at .500... They need to learn how to finish a season before anyone can think they will remain at .500 though...

The Dodgers, even without Matt Kemp, remain the class of the West... I'm truly happy for Don Mattingly... He was my favorite Yankee when I was going up... I rooted for him to get the manager position over that moron Girardi (yes, I hate Girardi and I hope a mediocre season gets him fired)...

Should be one interesting summer of baseball...

DizneyFreak2002
07-01-2012, 11:30 AM
AL EAST
Baltimore Orioles 29-22
Tampa Bay Rays 29-22
New York Yankees 27-23 (1.5 games back)
Toronto Blue Jays 27-24 (2 games back)
Boston Red Sox 26-25 (3 games back)

AL Central
Chicago White Sox 29-22
Cleveland Indians 27-23 (1.5 games back)
Detroit Tigers 24-27 (5 games back)
Kansas City Royals 21-28 (7 games back)
Minnesota Twins 18-32 (10.5 games back)

AL West
Texas Rangers 31-20
Los Angeles Angels 26-26 (5.5 games back)
Seattle Mariners 23-30 (9 games back)
Oakland A's 22-29 (9 games back)

The above are the standing from May heading into June... My how much tings can change in a month...

AL East
New York Yankees 47-30
Baltimore Orioles 42-35 (5 games back)
Boston Red Sox 41-37 (6.5 games back)
Tampa Bay Rays 41-37 (6.5 games back)
Toronto Blue Jays 40-38 (7.5 games back)

AL Central
Chicago White Sox 42-36
Cleveland Indians 39-38 (2.5 games back)
Detroit Tigers 38-40 (4.0 games back)
Kansas City Royals 35-41 (6 games back)
Minnesota Twins 32-45 (9.5 games back)

AL West
Texas Rangers 50-29
Los Angeles Angels 43-35 (6.5 games back)
Oakland A's 37-42 (13 games back)
Seattle Mariners 34-46 (16.5 games back)

Tampa Bay has slipped in the standings... The Yankees had a great month of June and overtook Baltimore for first place... How long that lasts remains to be seen, especially with Andy Pettitte out for at least 6 weeks if not more and CC out until at least All Star Break... Boston no longer controls last place... And even though they are in last, Toronto has a winning record and still look like they could be a team that can play spoiler down the stretch...

The White Sox are for real... They sure can hit... Detroit is in striking distance but still remains a disappointment considering the moves they made...

And there isn't much to say about the West... The Rangers still remain the class of the West, if not the AL...

DizneyFreak2002
07-01-2012, 11:41 AM
NL East
Washington Nationals 29-21
Miami Marlins 29-22 (.5 games back)
New York Mets 28-23 (1.5 games back)
Atlanta Braves 28-24 (2 games back)
Philadelphia Phillies 27-25 (3 games back)

NL Central
Cincinnati Reds 28-22
St. Louis Cardinals 27-24 (1.5 games back)
Pittsburgh Pirates 25-25 (3 games back)
Milwaukee Brewers 23-28 (5.5 games back)
Houston Astros 22-29 (6.5 games back)
Chicago Cubs 18-32 (10 games back)

NL West
Los Angeles Dodgers 32-19
San Francisco Giants 27-24 (5 games back)
Arizona Diamondbacks 23-28 (9 games back)
Colorado Rockies 21-29 (10.5 games back)
San Diego Padres 17-35 (15.5 games back)

The above are the standings heading into June... Here are the standings as of July 1...

NL East
Washington Nationals 44-32
New York Mets 43-36 (2.5 games back)
Atlanta Braves 41-36 (3.5 games back)
Miami Marlins 37-40 (7.5 games back)
Philadelphia Phillies 36-44 (10 games back)

NL Central
Cincinnati Reds 43-34
Pittsburgh Pirates 42-35 (1 game back)
St. Louis Cardinals 40-38 (3.5 games back)
Milwaukee Brewers 35-42 (8 games back)
Houston Astros 32-46 (11.5 games back)
Chicago Cubs 28-49 (15 games back)

NL West
San Francisco Giants 44-35
Los Angeles Dodgers 43-36 (1 game back)
Arizona Diamondbacks 39-38 (4 games back)
Colorado Rockies 30-47 (13 games back)
San Diego Padres 29-50 (15 games back)

The Nationals continue to lead the East... But the Mets continue to nip at their heels... R.A. is pitching lights out and having a career year... Santana is back from his injury... Mets are making noise... The Phillies, wow... You would think with the pitching they have they'd be in competition... But they can't hit... Howard should be coming back so we'll see what that does for the line up... But they may be in selling mode...

Reds rule the Central but look out... The Pirates are on a roll... Good to see Pittsburgh playing good baseball after all those bad years... Theo has a lot of work to do to make the Cubs relevant again... At least Houston can take solace that in their last year in the National League they won't finish in last place.

The Dodgers have slipped and come back to earth.. The Giants have over taken them for first place... The Diamondbacks are close but not close enough... The Rockies and Padres??? Sellers....

kakn7294
07-01-2012, 12:08 PM
After 19 bad seasons - most of them really bad seasons - I'm so thrilled that my Pirates are finally making something happen. I've been a fan for as long as I can remember - and at 43, that's a looooong time! As of this morning, we're 1 game back in the division, in first place for the wild card (although technically that's a 3-way tie but due to the number of games played, it puts us first), and and 7 games ABOVE 500. I'm so happy I can't stand it. Now instead of getting angry at all of the comments about "how can you be a fan", I can get angry at all of the comments about how I'm a "bandwagon fan" (totally not true).

Mackflava99
07-05-2012, 03:16 PM
I have been happy to see the Pirates doing well because i have 2 close friends who are big Pirates fans.

Bryan

indytraveler
07-06-2012, 08:23 AM

I can admit that the AL Central is just as bad but I'd still give the weakest division title to the NL Central due to the Cubs and Astros.

It will be interesting to see which teams can mount a second half charge. Tigers maybe?

Melanie
07-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Let's hear it for Cliff Lee on his first win of the season! :clappy: Ohhhh, it's July you say? :D

PirateLover
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Let's hear it for Cliff Lee on his first win of the season! :clappy: Ohhhh, it's July you say? :D

It was a 4th of July miracle! Ugh this has been a tough season.

Hammer
07-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Gee, Mel, that's hardly necessary...a lot of the reason for that is not his doing. If you pitch 10 innings of shutout baseball in a game, it is not too much to ask for the offense to give you 1 measly run.

Not the Phillies year. Too many things have gone wrong. Setbacks in Ryan Howard's rehab, not enough information from Chase on his knee problem, Halladay getting injured (I think his first time on the DL ever), Cliff Lee's struggles and a bullpen which has a solid closer and the rest are garbage. I will not complain, as we have enjoyed 5 years of playoff baseball, and there are fans of many teams who would love to have had that.

So happy for Carlos Ruiz going to the all-star game! He has been such a bright spot in this season and deserves this honor.

I am really happy for Pirates fans. They deserve a good season!

Melanie
07-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Gee, Mel, that's hardly necessary...a lot of the reason for that is not his doing. If you pitch 10 innings of shutout baseball in a game, it is not too much to ask for the offense to give you 1 measly run.

It's all in good fun. Ugh.

Facts are facts - it's July, he's just getting his first win, and I think it's funny after all the hype this team received pre-season. What would you expect from someone who hates the Phillies and is a huge fan of a division rival? I expect, and get, ribbing on my side when it's due. It's sports. Again, ugh. Every team has it's issues/excuses.

Ian
07-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Facts are facts - it's July, he's just getting his first win, and I think it's funny after all the hype this team received pre-season.Mel I get what you're saying and I can take it as well as I can dish it out, but this team had no pre-season hype. Hardly anyone picked them to even win the division let alone make any noise in the playoffs.

barnaby
07-06-2012, 12:31 PM
It's all in good fun. Ugh.

Facts are facts - it's July, he's just getting his first win, and I think it's funny after all the hype this team received pre-season. What would you expect from someone who hates the Phillies and is a huge fan of a division rival? I expect, and get, ribbing on my side when it's due. It's sports. Again, ugh. Every team has it's issues/excuses.

Pitcher wins and losses is an overvalued stat. Only reason I pay attention to it is because of it's use in the fantasy leagues I play in. Probably is the least telling of a pitchers performance, it's more team-based, then individual based. Take Lee for example, he's pitched well with nothing to show for it because of weak hitting early in the season and a bad bullpen lately. Another example is Dan Haren this year on the opposite side of the spectrum. He went 3-2 in June, but gave up 4+ runs in 4 of the 5 games and split those games.
BTW, I am not a Phillies fan. ;)

Mel I get what you're saying and I can take it as well as I can dish it out, but this team had no pre-season hype. Hardly anyone picked them to even win the division let alone make any noise in the playoffs.
There were ESPN guys and others picking the Phillies to be contenders again this season. How could they not, they were 100+ win team last year, and Utley and Howard were supposed to be back sooner, plus you had one of the best rotations in baseball going in. They have been slowed by injuries and a weak 'pen.

With the 2 WC spots and as bad as the NL and NL East is, now that the Phillies are getting healthy on offense, if they get some bullpen help, they could easily turn it around and make the playoffs. They are 8.5 out of the wild card in July. Cardinals last year were 7 or so out in September and you know what they did.

Melanie
07-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Mel I get what you're saying and I can take it as well as I can dish it out, but this team had no pre-season hype. Hardly anyone picked them to even win the division let alone make any noise in the playoffs.

I guess I need to stop reading Twitter and all the uber Phillies fans then. :yes: Instead, I'll feel sorry for poor Cliff Lee. Maybe they'll give him the Cy Young out of pity.

Oh, and what about that old saying 'good pitching beats good hitting'? Again, all in good fun. I'm ready for all those stats of no run support for Phillies pitchers to be thrown at me. :D

Hammer
07-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Pitcher wins and losses is an overvalued stat. Only reason I pay attention to it is because of it's use in the fantasy leagues I play in. Probably is the least telling of a pitchers performance, it's more team-based, then individual based. Take Lee for example, he's pitched well with nothing to show for it because of weak hitting early in the season and a bad bullpen lately. Another example is Dan Haren this year on the opposite side of the spectrum. He went 3-2 in June, but gave up 4+ runs in 4 of the 5 games and split those games.

Fantasy baseball geek as well (though I keep the # of Philles I have on the 29 man roster to 3 as it makes it too nerve wracking for me as a fan). I avoided Lee because he either has a fantastic season or is totally the other end of the spectrum. No middle ground. First year I did not have Halladay (I had him on my team when he was in Toronto too). Guess that's a good thing! Last year, my catchers were Joe Mauer and Buster Posey :(. Not a good year when you have use scrap heap catchers!

There were ESPN guys and others picking the Phillies to be contenders again this season. How could they not, they were 100+ win team last year, and Utley and Howard were supposed to be back sooner, plus you had one of the best rotations in baseball going in. They have been slowed by injuries and a weak 'pen.

With the 2 WC spots and as bad as the NL and NL East is, now that the Phillies are getting healthy on offense, if they get some bullpen help, they could easily turn it around and make the playoffs. They are 8.5 out of the wild card in July. Cardinals last year were 7 or so out in September and you know what they did.

Please, don't give me false hope :D !

PirateLover
07-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I do remember a lot of people still picking the Phillies to win the division, but I think that was more out of habit looking at the past 5 years than out of hype. LAST year, was DEFINITELY the hyped season. The Phils ended up winning the most games in their history, but completely unraveled. With the Utley and Howard injuries, not too many people were out there claiming that it would be another record season. Earlier in this thread I expressed some concern, but also some optimism. At this point the optimism is pretty much gone, but I will continue to root for my team.

And, more often than not, good pitching DOES beat good hitting... but you do need to put some runs on the board to actually win the game!!! And those pitchers have to stay healthy :cool:

barnaby
07-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Fantasy baseball geek as well (though I keep the # of Philles I have on the 29 man roster to 3 as it makes it too nerve wracking for me as a fan). I avoided Lee because he either has a fantastic season or is totally the other end of the spectrum. No middle ground. First year I did not have Halladay (I had him on my team when he was in Toronto too). Guess that's a good thing! Last year, my catchers were Joe Mauer and Buster Posey :(. Not a good year when you have use scrap heap catchers!

How is your team doing?

I am in 3 leagues. I am in 2nd a half game out in my 10 team mixed head to head keeper league and 11th in a deep 14 team mixed head to head. I am 8 games out of a playoff spot.
I also do a roto league. I am 4th in that one currently 11 pts back.

The 10 team keeper league is a league I run. It has been the same guys for the most part for the last 9 years. We just made it a keeper league last season. We keep 3, I kept Hosmer, Strasburg and Ryan Zimmerman, but drafted really well. The keeper status adds another depth of strategy. You can trade draft picks too.

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2012, 11:13 AM
AL East
New York Yankees 47-30
Baltimore Orioles 42-35 (5 games back)
Boston Red Sox 41-37 (6.5 games back)
Tampa Bay Rays 41-37 (6.5 games back)
Toronto Blue Jays 40-38 (7.5 games back)

AL Central
Chicago White Sox 42-36
Cleveland Indians 39-38 (2.5 games back)
Detroit Tigers 38-40 (4.0 games back)
Kansas City Royals 35-41 (6 games back)
Minnesota Twins 32-45 (9.5 games back)

AL West
Texas Rangers 50-29
Los Angeles Angels 43-35 (6.5 games back)
Oakland A's 37-42 (13 games back)
Seattle Mariners 34-46 (16.5 games back)

The above standings were from June into July... Now, let's see hwo much things have changed in one month...

AL EAST
New York Yankees 60-43
Baltimore Orioles 55-49 (5.5 games back)
Tampa Bay Rays 54-50 (6.5 games back)
Boston Red Sox 53-51 (7.5 games back)
Toronto Blue Jays 51-52 (9.0 games back)

AL CENTRAL
Chicago White Sox 56-47
Detroit Tigers 54-50 (2.5 games back)
Cleveland Indians 50-53 (6.0 games back)
Minnesota Twins 44-59 (12.0 games back)
Kansas City Royals 42-60 (13.5 games back)

AL WEST
Texas Rangers 59-43
Los Angeles Angels 57-47 (3.0 games back)
Oakland A's 56-47 (3.5 games back)
Seattle Mariners 49-57 (12 games back)

The Yankees hit a bit of a rut ending the month of July and have seen their 10 game lead shrink to only 5 games... The Orioles continue to play above their talent level... Kudos have to be given to Buck Showalter for that... I'm a little shocked at the Rays being mediocre... I thought they had a much better team...

Detroit is picking it up and finally getting themselves into the thick of the race... The White Sox continue to impress.. The rest of the Central?? Playing as expected....

The West is getting interesting... The Angels are right there, as expected... And the A's have picked it up... Should be an interesting last 2 months of the season in the race for the West... And the wild card.. This may be the first year no Wild Card teams come from the East....

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2012, 11:26 AM
NL East
Washington Nationals 44-32
New York Mets 43-36 (2.5 games back)
Atlanta Braves 41-36 (3.5 games back)
Miami Marlins 37-40 (7.5 games back)
Philadelphia Phillies 36-44 (10 games back)

NL Central
Cincinnati Reds 43-34
Pittsburgh Pirates 42-35 (1 game back)
St. Louis Cardinals 40-38 (3.5 games back)
Milwaukee Brewers 35-42 (8 games back)
Houston Astros 32-46 (11.5 games back)
Chicago Cubs 28-49 (15 games back)

NL West
San Francisco Giants 44-35
Los Angeles Dodgers 43-36 (1 game back)
Arizona Diamondbacks 39-38 (4 games back)
Colorado Rockies 30-47 (13 games back)
San Diego Padres 29-50 (15 games back)

The standings above show how the teams stood at the end of June heading into July... Now, here is how they stand on August 1...

NL EAST
Washington Nationals 61-41
Atlanta Braves 59-44 (2.5 games back)
New York Mets 50-54 (12.0 games back)
Miami Marlins 47-56 (14.5 games back)
Philadelphia Phillies 46-57 (15.5 games back)

NL CENTRAL
Cincinnati Reds 62-41
Pittsburgh Pirates 59-44 (3.0 games back)
St. Louis Cardinals 55-48 (7.0 games back)
Milwaukee Brewers 47-56 (15.0 games back)
Chicago Cubs 43-59 (18.5 games back)
Houston Astros 35-70 (28.0 games back)

NL WEST
San Francisco Giants 56-47
Los Angeles Dodgers 56-49 (1.0 games back)
Arizona Diamondbacks 53-51 (3.5 games back)
San Diego Padres 44-61 (13.0 games back)
Colorado Rockies 37-64 (18.0 games back)

Washington continues to be the cream of the crop of the East... The Mets ar eback down on earth, toying with their fans' emotions, then finally breaking their hearts... The Marlins, biggest disappointment in baseball.. And the Phillies??? Well....

The Reds are in the middle of one amazing run... The Pirates continue to hold strong... But I think the Cardinal fans have to realize no repeat this year...Will Theo win a championship in Chicago before the Red Sox win another one?? Maybe... But he has a lot of work to do... And the Astros, are they still even a team???

The Giants and Dodgers battling it out in the West while the Diamondbacks hold strong...

The races are heating up... A lot of teams still in it, and with the added Wild Card team this year, should be one heck of a finish to the season!!!

DizneyFreak2002
09-07-2012, 05:26 PM
I didn't so an August to September update... Since we are a week into September already, I won't... all I will say is, BRING ON THE PENNANT RACES!!!!

tjstrike
09-29-2012, 07:55 PM
GO BRAVES !!! Send Chipper out with one more world series ring !!!

:number1:

DizneyFreak2002
09-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Well we have reached the last 4 games of the season... Huge race in the AL East between the Yankees and Orioles... The Tigers come from nowhere to lead the AL Central over the fading White Sox... And the Rangers look to clinch the West... As for the wild card, two teams no one expected to do anything, the Orioles and A's seem to have the playoffs wrapped up...

Wow, what a final week!!!