PDA

View Full Version : Peeps!

Melanie
04-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Can't believe I'm so late with this thread this year that it's almost time for clearance Peeps! Ahhhh, where has this year gone?

Anyway, we've got a debate going at work. I introduced my co-workers to frozen and microwaved Peeps, and we're split. I, of course, prefer the frozen (with an occassional fresh one) and I'm partial to the bunnies. My favorite color is purple, and I'm liking the blue ones as well.

So how do you prefer your Peeps and why?

Happy Easter! :ebasket: :bunny:

TinkerbellT421
04-04-2012, 08:12 AM
I haven't had them either way but straight out of the package! But I can imagine that I would enjoy FRIED peeps if there is such a thing. Anything fried is delicious. I love fried Twinkies :blush: Though I haven't had one in years.

TheDuckRocks
04-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Easter is finally here! The annual peeps debate returns. I'm one of the few that could care less if I ever eat another peep again, but I love them for the way they have become almost an art form.

wildernesslady
04-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Yeah, the peeps thread is back.

Melanie, I never thought to freeze or microwave them. I will definitely have to get some extra to experiment.

Auntie B
04-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Oooh - frozen peeps sound like a yummy treat - gonna have to try that! As wierd as this might sound, at our house we like to open the peeps and let them get hard, prior to eating them. :thumbsup:

Lizzy
04-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Fresh purple chick peeps are the best, but fresh of any color/ shape is good.

Then frozen.

I do not like microwaved peeps.

And I can't believe we are still having this discussion every year! I am so glad I have come back to Intercot! :D

c&d
04-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Yellow peeps straight out of their little boxes. I'm the only one in my family that likes them. Never tried freezing them.

Disney Doll
04-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Not a huge fan, but if I'm going to have one I prefer them a tad stale.

Basket Mommy
04-04-2012, 09:59 AM
To be honest, I hate Peeps. I don't get the hype. They're... marshmallows?

DizNee143
04-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Love them stale or dozen! :mickey:

princessgirls
04-04-2012, 10:28 AM
My peep preferences are:

Bunnies
Blue or Purple
STALE!!

Cut them open and let them get stale. YUM!

I'm going to try them frozen. That could work for me too.
Not microwaved. Not for me...I'm a hard peep kind of gal!
Happy Easter!
Julie:mickey:

disneymom15
04-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Ditto, never liked them.

Jeri
04-04-2012, 11:04 AM
I have a package sitting out getting stale as we speak.
I love them stale, my kids like to microwave them, but never had done that till I read about it here years ago.
I think I might try frozen that sounds good too.

I don't care if they are bunnies or chicks and I really don't mind they color either. I have never tried the flavored ones ever or chocolate covered, I just want the original way, colored sugar.

#1donaldfan
04-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Never tried a frozen one, sounds interesting !! I like them stale, color or shape is secondary.:thumbsup:

SBETigg
04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
I like them fresh, stale, frozen, microwaved, purple, yellow, bunnies, chicks, in a box, with a fox, here, there... Well, my favorites are the yellow chick shaped. Mostly, I avoid them at other times of year but the orange jack-o-lantern ones at Halloween are pretty irresistible, too.

DVC2004
04-04-2012, 12:48 PM
I have not had them in years! My family is not fans. But, I am tempted now to buy a pack and try the microwaved and frozen just to see. Funny though I haven't hd them for so long, I can still recall the taste of them after reading this thread!

AgentC
04-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I like them fresh, stale, frozen, microwaved, purple, yellow, bunnies, chicks, in a box, with a fox, here, there... Well, my favorites are the yellow chick shaped. Mostly, I avoid them at other times of year but the orange jack-o-lantern ones at Halloween are pretty irresistible, too.

Yep, me too. Will pretty much eat them any way but stale is my favorite. And I have a slight preference for chicks but that is just because they are bigger. :)

Kenny1113
04-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Nope no peePs for me. But DSs love them! So I will have to let them try them frozen and microwaved to see which they prefer. :)

MNNHFLTX
04-04-2012, 02:33 PM
I don't eat Peeps, but this thread has me wondering a couple of things:

What do they taste like stale?
What happens to them when you microwave them? Don't they just melt?

AgentC
04-04-2012, 05:18 PM

Stale is kind of hard to describe. Regular Peeps are soft marshmallow with a light coating of sugar so they are kind of squishy. When they are stale the sugar gets crunchy and the marshmallow is chewier.:chewy:

I've never tried them microwaved.

SBETigg
04-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Stale is kind of hard to describe. Regular Peeps are soft marshmallow with a light coating of sugar so they are kind of squishy. When they are stale the sugar gets crunchy and the marshmallow is chewier.:chewy:

I've never tried them microwaved.

Microwaved, it's fun to watch. They puff up really big and then they're like melted marshmallow. You can put them on a graham cracker with chocolate and have a little Peeps S'more.

Melanie
04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
What a hoot (and a testament to Peeps) that I post this before going to work this morning and come back to page 2 of the thread! Peep peep!

Oooh - frozen peeps sound like a yummy treat - gonna have to try that! As wierd as this might sound, at our house we like to open the peeps and let them get hard, prior to eating them. :thumbsup:

You sound like me......three years ago. ;) Stale was always the way to go, and then I discovered frozen. I think if you are someone who enjoys them stale, try and frozen and I bet you'll love them. :)

Marshmallows and sugar. What more could you ask for? :D Seriously though, with Peeps it's a love or hate thing. You either love them or....you don't.

It's a texture thing for me Beth. I do like them fresh sometimes, but prefer them frozen when they are harder and like Cindy said about the stale ones, the sugar is crunchier.

I took a bite of my bosses' microwaved one the other day, and they are just really, really soft, and a bit warm. Think s'mores. I didn't care for it.

Fangorn
04-04-2012, 06:45 PM
I really can't stand Peeps. My Easter candy of choice is the gool ol' Cadbury Egg!!!

Steve

ElenitaB
04-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Yellow and stale!

And Mel, it was you who turned me onto frozen Peeps (the stale Peep for the patience-challenged! :thumbsup: )

This year I limited myself to one package that I was getting ready to put aside (i.e., hide) so that they could get stale but alas, someone (ahem) who doesn't even really like them, found them and they were soon history. Oh well... no Peeps on my hips this year. ;)

mariak
04-04-2012, 07:10 PM
I've never been into Peeps but I'm thinking that anyone who loved Shaun Cassidy and the Dukes of Hazzard like I did has to know her peeps! I'm going to give frozen Peeps a try and feed them to my family as well!

Maria :thumbsup:

Disney4us2
04-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Any color bunnies and stale. Never tried them frozen. But wow.... frozen Thin Mint cookies or frozen Milky Way bars.... mmmmm:thumbsup:

Melanie
04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
with Peeps it's a love or hate thing. You either love them or....you don't.

I really can't stand Peeps. My Easter candy of choice is the gool ol' Cadbury Egg!!!

;)

And Mel, it was you who turned me onto frozen Peeps (the stale Peep for the patience-challenged! :thumbsup: )

LOL! Love that description and it's right on. Ellen, so sorry "someone" ;) ate your stash.

I've never been into Peeps but I'm thinking that anyone who loved Shaun Cassidy and the Dukes of Hazzard like I did has to know her peeps! I'm going to give frozen Peeps a try and feed them to my family as well!

Hahahahaha! That's awesome Maria. Let us know how you like them.

Any color bunnies and stale. Never tried them frozen. But wow.... frozen Thin Mint cookies or frozen Milky Way bars.... mmmmm:thumbsup:

Try it Marci...I bet you'd like it. :)

TinkerbellT421
04-04-2012, 07:44 PM
I might have to try the frozen, never had them that way. I never eat Peeps but I like them. Sounds like I'm grabbing a few during my next shopping trip. How long do you freeze them for?

magicofdisney
04-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Roasted.

Melanie
04-04-2012, 07:50 PM
I might have to try the frozen, never had them that way. I never eat Peeps but I like them. Sounds like I'm grabbing a few during my next shopping trip. How long do you freeze them for?

I always leave them in at least overnight.

Let me caution those who want to try them frozen. If you like them at that consistency, take one out at a time and eat it immediately. The peep will lose it's frozen state very quickly if the package is left out.

TiggeRia
04-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Funny thread :) The husband of a coworker of mine worked at the main factory in Bethlehem, PA here. Every year they would get an endless supply of Peeps from the company and she would bring tons into work. I never really got into them, though. Too sweet and sugary....(says the girl who loves to eat pixie stix...)

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-04-2012, 09:03 PM
I like them toasted by fire over my fire pit....it caramelizes (burns) the sugar and makes the marshmallow part warm and squishy!!! Love doing that.

kakn7294
04-04-2012, 10:51 PM
My favorite color is yellow and I love them stale. I've tried them microwaved - didn't really care for it. I haven't tried them frozen but I think I might now.

I recently tried the chocolate mousse Peeps dipped in dark chocolate (those were fresh out of the package) - very yummy!

AgentC
04-04-2012, 11:57 PM

Steve

I must confess I like the Cadbury Eggs too-traditional and caramel. Hmm. It occurs to me I might have a slight addiction to Easter candy. :D

TheDuckRocks
04-05-2012, 08:13 AM
I recently tried the chocolate mousse Peeps dipped in dark chocolate (those were fresh out of the package) - very yummy!

Oh, oh! I may have to look for these my 2 favorite Easter treats are to eat a whole egg carton of the chocolate covered marshmallos and to steal all the licorice flavored jelly beans out of everyones baskets.:blush:

Ed
04-05-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm not much for peeps, but bring me a dumptruck load of Brach's spiced jelly beans (minus the black ones - - Kay can have those) and I'm one happy hyperactive guy.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-05-2012, 09:07 AM
I must confess I like the Cadbury Eggs too-traditional and caramel. Hmm. It occurs to me I might have a slight addiction to Easter candy. :D

We always have Reese Eggs, Cadbury Eggs, and Sweettart chicks, bunny, ducks.

Disney4us2
04-05-2012, 08:22 PM
I tried the chick peeps frozen (they were out of bunnies). Still like them better stale,

ElenitaB
04-05-2012, 08:40 PM
I like them toasted by fire over my fire pit....it caramelizes (burns) the sugar and makes the marshmallow part warm and squishy!!! Love doing that.
Oh-la-la. Peeps brulée. :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
04-05-2012, 11:22 PM
oh-la-la. Peeps brulée. :thumbsup:

lol!!

TheDuckRocks
04-06-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm not much for peeps, but bring me a dumptruck load of Brach's spiced jelly beans (minus the black ones - - Kay can have those) and I'm one happy hyperactive guy.

Thanks, Ed!

cer
04-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Too sweet and sugary....(says the girl who loves to eat pixie stix...)

Off topic, but I wanted to add a particularly disappointing experience.

I was shopping for Easter treats in the candy aisle. Do you remember the jumbo plastic pixie stix straws? I thought about getting a couple for the kiddos. You can imagine my horror as I pulled one off the shelf and it was half the size they were when I was a kid. I remember those used to be a whole yard of tart sticky fun! (If it wasn't a whole yard, it sure seemed like it.)

Now, well, it is just not right. :(

Wolf
04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Carrie-Thats heartbreaking, I cannot even find them in my area!! I needed the sticks for a craft project I had in mind and couldn't find em anywhere last year!

Aurora
04-06-2012, 11:22 AM
No Peeps for me! Can't stand them!

Hubby and the kids love them, though, and the kids are big microwavers. I think they just enjoy seeing little birdy things blow up, myself. :eek:

TheVBs
04-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Not a big Peeps fan, but the girls love them. I love all the different colors and shapes though! It would be perfect if I could find a rainbow pack. Never even thought to try roasting them! That would definitely be worth trying. Maybe I can talk the girls out of one of their precious Peeps?

VWL Mom
04-08-2012, 09:15 AM
I was looking for something online yesterday and came across a recipe for chocolate chip cookies stuffed with peeps. Can you imagine the warm chips and gooey peeps, yum!

Melanie
04-08-2012, 09:32 AM
I was looking for something online yesterday and came across a recipe for chocolate chip cookies stuffed with peeps. Can you imagine the warm chips and gooey peeps, yum!

Can you post the recipe? Yum!!

Carol
04-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Cannot see a Peep without thinking about you Mel. :D

I was looking for something online yesterday and came across a recipe for chocolate chip cookies stuffed with peeps. Can you imagine the warm chips and gooey peeps, yum!That makes my teeth hurt just reading about it. LOL! :eyes:

Dopey's Girl
04-08-2012, 10:18 AM
In general, I loathe marshmallow, but based on this thread, I tried a frozen Peep. Wouldn't be my first choice Easter candy (that's white chocolate reeses eggs and mini creme eggs) but they are pretty tasty frozen!

Kenny1113
04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
So DSs have tried frozen, microwaved and regular. The verdict is in .... They like microwaved the best!!!!!
Thanks for this post. I would have never known. :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
04-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Mel, I don't know how to add pictures here but if you could post my DBF mom's cake she made that I tagged you on Facebook I am sure everyone would like it :) lol

Lizzy
04-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Chocolate chip cookie stuffed with peeps sounds peeptastic (my favorite word from a peep thread probably 5 years ago)

VWL Mom
04-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Can you post the recipe? Yum!!

Sorry it took so long for me to find it again. Personally I would go with a bit less dough for each.
INGREDIENTS

2 16.5 ounce packages chocolate chip cookie dough, cold
1 Package Peeps (should have 12 peeps)
1 Dozen mini salted pretzels

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Place a large scoop of cookie dough on parchment paper and press down to flatten. Place one pretzel on top of cookie dough and press down. Place a peep on top of the pretzel. Top with another large scoop of cookie dough and use your hands to mold the dough around the peep and pretzel, making sure the filling is completely covered with dough. Place 3" apart.

Bake for 13-15 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Allow to cool before serving.

Main Street Jim
04-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Heard something on the radio last week about Peeps.

Take a peep to a bonfire/campfire. Put it on a stick (like you're toasting a marshmallow), and hold it over the fire. Let the sugar coating "melt", then pull it off of the fire. Let it cool, and the sugar will turn into a hard candy coating.

I personally haven't tried it yet. If you do, let us know how it goes! :thumbsup:

casey@bat
03-24-2013, 07:52 PM
I roasted some snowman Peeps over a fire in December and they were great! You do it just like you would roast a marshmallow. Just be careful because the sugar on the outside melts and can burn your fingers. It actually stuck to mine like hot glue would. Ouch!

Melanie
03-24-2013, 08:06 PM
LOL. This confused me. This is last year's Peeps thread!

emerzmom
03-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Never liked peeps. I prefer chocolate bunnies.