PDA

View Full Version : Week-after-Thanksgiving crowds?

Gator
04-03-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm trying to pin down a good time to go to WDW this winter. I usually go in Jan/Feb, but I'd like to catch some Christmas stuff this year. I'm sure the first full week of Dec will have it's crowds with Pop Warner being there, but what about the week before? I'd fly in the Monday right after Thanksgiving. Any thoughts?

Disney Goof
04-03-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm with you Gator. We are going down the Saturday after Thanksgiving and this info would be helpful for me too.

disneymom15
04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
We've been a couple of times right after Thanksgiving. Crowd levels are on the lower side. It's a great time to go.

Strmchsr
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't think that week is as good anymore, but it's as good as any week after Thanksgiving. The Christmas season, in general, has gotten a lot more crowded. Since all the guidebooks still post that as the "least busy week of the year" lots more folks are trying to go that week. My big issue with it is that the weekend after Thanksgiving weekend (the first weekend of December) is the parade taping weekend which turns MK into a horrible mess for Friday-Sunday. The weekday crowds aren't too bad, though definitely heavier than they used to be. So, don't expect really low crowds, but they aren't big either.

Jeddie
04-03-2012, 05:16 PM
We just did the week post Thanksgiving this past November. The crowds were fine, although the taping for the Christmas Day Parade at the MK was horrific. If you made a wrong turn on Main Street and went down the right hand side facing the castle, you were stuck. And when they were moving the floats out of Frontierland towards Main Street, they haulted all traffic crossing to/from Adventureland. I went to get FPs for Splash Mountain while my wife, kids and FIL were getting Dole Whips and I couldn't get back to them for over 45 minutes. Unfortunately I had to make a mad dash under the ropes b/c I couldn't just leave them alone anymore.

The weather was great, not too hot, but did get pretty cool some nights. My kids and wife did get a cold down there from all the changes in temperatures.

Honestly I wasn't even too impressed with all the Christmas decorations. They were nice and all, but to me, the normal routine/everyday WDW is more magical withouth the holiday interruptions. Not sure if I would go that time of year again, by that IMHO.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
04-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Honestly I wasn't even too impressed with all the Christmas decorations. They were nice and all, but to me, the normal routine/everyday WDW is more magical withouth the holiday interruptions. Not sure if I would go that time of year again, by that IMHO.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you, in part. We went the week after Thanksgiving in 2007 and again in 2010, and I noticed some differences that I didn't like, primarily in Epcot. I was disappointed in the MK as they didn't have the tree up yet, pre parade taping. In 2007 it was up and then they moved it temporarily, then brought it back. I also noticed that they took the garland down that connects the Mainstreet buildings down a couple days prior to the taping.

Epcot I was extremely disappointed that they no longer had the lighted archways leading up to the Christmas tree. What a bunch of cheapskates!! That was such an incredible visual, and now, gone. I also thought that back in 2007 that the regular trees around the grounds had lights in them, and again that wasn't the case.

All that said, Candlelight Processional, Osborne Family lights, seeing the MK at night with the decorations, it still makes it worth it, so much so I just sent an email to MJ to get the ball rolling for 2012.

I would agree, the crowds are ok still (unless its taping weekend) but it seemed like it was much better in the olden days. Then again, the past few years they've offered free dining during this time and I'm sure that has influenced crowd levels as well.

kohlby
04-05-2012, 01:14 PM
It's a terrible week to go. Don't go that week. We're likely going that week and would like one less family to compete with. :mickey:

Last year, we did the last full week before Thanksgiving and it was a great week to go. However, this year, Veteran's day will likely make that week at little more crowded, at least at the start. So, we're looking at the first full week after Thanksgiving.

LandFan
04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
We've been a couple of times right after Thanksgiving. Crowd levels are on the lower side. It's a great time to go.

Us too! We like that week a lot! :number1: Just avoid the MK that Thursday and Friday (typically) as that is Christmas parade taping week and those days are a bit crazy at the parks. Tip: Go to the MVMCP on that Tuesday - it is usually not too crowded.

Peterpanflight
04-05-2012, 06:38 PM
we have been going week after thanksgiving for 4 years now. I think it used to be a great time to go but last 2 years been real busy! We have decided to switch it up now and go in May now which we like a lot better