PDA

View Full Version : I-95

disney obsessed
04-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Has any one recently made the road trip down 95? any areas of concern?

Also, do they still have the booklets at the rest stop when you pass over the Georgia boarder that have discount hotel coupons?

Thanks.

Eran_wolf
04-03-2012, 10:06 AM
We just came back from a Disney trip the beginning of March. We hopped on 95 at Baltimore. The only major spot of concern is the 495 area of DC. I don't care what time of day you hit that loop you are going to sit for some time. It is construction that never ends. Other than that there was an area of 95 in NC going northbound that dropped down to 1 lane but wasn't bad and we only had to slow down and not stop. And yes the coupons are still there at the visitors center.

Jessie
04-03-2012, 10:23 AM
The DC loop area is no fun. I actually avoided it going down, but coming back up decided to try it and sat in a lot of traffic.

Make sure you have plenty of cash for tolls.

Watch those speed limits for obvious safety reasons and because some of the corridors are no joke as far as being monitored.

I never found it very difficult to find hotels and rest areas on 95. Especially the further south that I got. I found more and more cracker barrels popping up :laughing:.

I'm not sure about the booklet after crossing the border in GA. I never looked for one.

Rain storms can hit you out of the blue. If you're not used to driving in heavy rain, pull off and hit a rest stop or a restaurant. Watch out for those big rigs.

When changing lanes in front of a big rig do not suddenly hit your breaks. It takes a lot longer for them to slow down and its a big pet peeve for the drivers to have a car get in front of them then suddenly slow waaaaay down because it can be dangerous. Especially if you're going downhill. (My dad used to drive 95 to FL from MA for a trucking co. when I was a kid).

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Has any one recently made the road trip down 95? any areas of concern?

Also, do they still have the booklets at the rest stop when you pass over the Georgia boarder that have discount hotel coupons?

Thanks.
Did just make a trip down part of 95, from Fayetteville, NC into Florence, SC (where I then left on I-20) I had no issues even though there is a little construction on north side of Florence (redoing exits for the Monster.com headquarters).

Yes, they also have them in the Rest Areas in NC and SC.