PDA

View Full Version : How is the Biergarten in Germany at Epcot?

epceddie
04-01-2012, 11:50 PM
We're considering doing the Candlelight Processional dinner package in December and were wondering how the food is at the Biergarten in Germany at the World Showcase. Is it worth a try?

DizneyRox
04-02-2012, 06:57 AM
It's one of my favorite meals. But only problem is the setting, sometimes you could end up sitting with a real dud.

Pirate Granny
04-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Food is OK...we've never had much interaction with our table mates. But well worth getting for tha candlelight procession...we'll probably make the same selection for our November trip.

TinkerbellT421
04-02-2012, 08:15 AM
DBF and I ate here for our first time this past January. We found the food absolutely delicious. We went for a late lunch. We were seated with only one other couple. I don't know if you know this but it is custom in Germany to eat with strangers all together at one table, so that is how it is set up here. The table we sat at sat about eight people on each side but we were only seated with one other couple who were locals and an absolute delight to speak to for the meal. One couple sat down on the table behind us and when strangers were seated with them they stated they would not be eating there I guess they were freaked out by having to eat with strangers. So if that is not your thing then you may find yourself a tad bit uncomfortable. But DBF and I make friends where ever we go so we don't find it hard to talk to strangers. We were more afraid of being seated with someone that wouldn't talk to US and then it would be weird or uncomfortable. So remember that is a shot your taking, if it will ruin your experience then you have a 50/50 shot of being hit or miss with the strangers you get sat with. The show was so much fun to watch, they have a Germany act come up where they play instruments, dance, sing, etc. that was a lot of fun. The deserts were OMG delicious!!! I probably ate more in dessert than the actual food. Only problem we found was after eating at a buffet like that the way you feel full eating normal foods and the way you feel full eating a lot of sausages it was like you were literally stuffed at the top of your stomach so I walked out of there half bent over to feel comfortable lol. So don't eat that much haha. But all in all it was one of my favorites and definitely would do it again in heartbeat and leave us more time to be able to watch the show which regretfully we had to leave in the middle of because we had to go catch the DVC show on the Boardwalk :(

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Good food, but as the previous poster stated - You are not seated at a table on your own unless you have a large group.

Engage with your table company!

Auntie B
04-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Yummy, yummy, yummy buffet and great entertainment! We had a fun group at our table - definately a great way to meet some new people! We had a great time and will definately eat there again!

Disney Doll
04-02-2012, 09:54 AM
You might check out this recent thread. I like Biergarten, but there were some mixed reviews.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=189538&highlight=germany

Quadstriker
04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Food was meh. Theme was very well done.

Do you feel like rolling the dice and gambling on what kind of people you'll be stuck eating dinner with? Interested in having other people's kids spill food and drink on you? Hey! Go to Biergarten!

Yeah I won't be going there again.

E-Ticket4
04-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Eaten there 4 times and happy to say Ive never had kids spill on me, never sat with any kids actually. A good thing. This last trip we sat with an older couple from Austria who had been in the US for 40 years and 3 locals. Very nice folks, food was good, music was fun.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Food was good, not great...entertainment and atmosphere can't be beat...and yes you are seated with strangers....

SurferStitch
04-03-2012, 12:29 PM
DH and I love the food here, and you're talking to two people who live for Narcoossee's, V&A and Cali Grill!! My favorite thing is the spaetzle, chicken schnitzle and hunter's gravy.... YUM!!

We love the fact that you sit with other people. DH and I make friends wherever we go, so we have a great time. We usually sit with some fun and interesting people.

We've had kids at our table before, but they were never a problem. On the contrary... they were quite well behaved.

This is a wonderful restaurant. I hope you love it as well!

twinboyz
04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Love the Biergarten! We've eaten there several times. The food is great! I come from a German heritage so it brings back memories of Grandma and Grandpa's cooking. The beer:beer: is good there too. Took the boys (they were 10 at the time) and they loved the food, atmosphere and show!:mickey:

As far as the seating, it doesn't bother us! We're there for interaction with each other. One time we sat next to a nice young family and it was fun to watch the little one get so excited. Another time, we barely said a word to the couple next to us. No big deal. Like I said we are there for us and the crowd always gets involved so it's a good time!

DonaldDuckUSA
04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Went once with DBF and another time with friends on a 21st birthday trip! Woo! :beer: :party:

DBF and I really enjoyed the meal. I wish there were a few more items on the buffet, but I really enjoy the food.

If you like beer, it's a fun selection. I had the Pilsner, DBF had the amber brew. Both yummy.

DBF didn't realize we sat with other people and we had an awkward few minutes, but once we ask the great Disney icebreaker ("Where are you from?") everything was great.

DBF's beer was bigger than we expected so we stayed longer than most, but we never felt rushed.

Quadstriker
04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Ah yes, forgot to mention the beer there.

It's good. Quite good in fact. The darkest one (can't remember the name) is the best.

mdricks
04-03-2012, 05:17 PM
I love it but then I am likely the undesirable tablemate everyone speaks of!

Its like that old poker saying if you look around the table and don't see the patsy, then your it.

I've never had a bad table! :thedolls:

Ziggy zocky ziggy zocky hoy hoy hoy!!:beer:

:number1:

wdw dude
04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
But only problem is the setting, sometimes you could end up sitting with a real dud.

I hear you. Last December, the family and I went for the Candlelight Processional package. It was three of us and we sat with a family of five. We tried to be pleasant, but they didn't say a word to us and literally sat with their backs toward us. Oh well, I didn't care. I don't go to Biergarten to make friends. I go to eat as much as I can! :blush:

That aside. The Biergarten is one my favorites.

Also, after eating, get in line for the show as soon as you can to get the best seats. That line gets long VERY quickly.

:mickey:

SurferStitch
04-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Ah yes, forgot to mention the beer there.

It's good. Quite good in fact. The darkest one (can't remember the name) is the best.

When we were there in December, the darkest beer was Hovels. Absolutely wonderful! DH and I each got a 1 liter mug of it. :cloud9:

mudpuppysmom
04-09-2012, 10:22 AM
We have eaten there several times too and I very much enjoy it as do my boys -- minus dad (DH) that is -- he is not much for buffet food nor is he into the lively entertainment (he likes it when I take the boys down and polka though).

DS#1 VERY much enjoys the show and is so so on the buffet -- he is a carnivore and does like the meats there, but not much else.

DS#2 cannot eat any meat, dairy or soy -- so this is a very hard place for him.

That said -- and it being Disney -- DS#2's dining is accommodated pretty well -- they do spaetzle for him and he eats some of the fruit and one other dessert.

The show is fun and if you like to dance, you can interact.

The tablemate situation IS something to think of. One time we ate with a family of three and the mom and son didn't speak a word the entire meal. The dad sat next to me and we both chatted and near the end of the meal he actually invited us to the GM Lounge in Test Track! While we were thrilled to be invited, we had to decline as we were meeting up with other family after our meal. I thanked the dad profusely and told him maybe in the future we would run into him by chance again one day and be able to join him then. One other time we were sat with a quite lively family from Texas -- a mom, dad and a grown daughter (with bf) and grown son (with wife). They had to be the most fun family we have ever sat with! Even DH chatted with them! They all thought our boys were just "the cutest little men" and "so well behaved"......well sometimes they are both I said!

So yeah, it depends on who you sit with, if you are into that type of food and don't mind a lively show!

We enjoy our meals here!

PlutoPlanet
04-09-2012, 12:34 PM
I like German food a lot and always enjoy eating at the Biergarten.

Quadstriker
04-09-2012, 01:50 PM
When we were there in December, the darkest beer was Hovels. Absolutely wonderful! DH and I each got a 1 liter mug of it. :cloud9:

That's the one. Good stuff.

AmandaChan
04-10-2012, 03:56 PM
First time we went, DH and I sat across from an older couple and we had fun talking to them. Another family sat next to us and I'm glad we had that other couple there. They were a lot more fun. The second time we went, we got a table to ourselves for party of 8. We have always liked the food. I love me some curry ketchup and the pasta salads were good... the desserts are the best though. Even our picky brother in law ate plenty of dessert.. I always get me a nice tall stein (right word?) of the lighter beer, can't remember the name. But I think it was the only lighter beer on the menu and it's worth the trip alone. And once the show gets started, you'll find yourself having fun. I always make reservation for 15 to 30 minutes before the start of the show -- to give you time to get in and get your drinks, plates, etc...

AmandaChan
04-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I hear you. Last December, the family and I went for the Candlelight Processional package. It was three of us and we sat with a family of five. We tried to be pleasant, but they didn't say a word to us and literally sat with their backs toward us. Oh well, I didn't care. I don't go to Biergarten to make friends. I go to eat as much as I can! :blush:
:mickey:

That's kind of sad. Really, don't go to a restaurant like this if you don't want to communicate with strangers and you're going to be a sour face. They must not have done any research on the restaurant.

Good news though, most people that go are aware of what to expect and have a good sense of humor about it

Fastpasssteve
04-10-2012, 11:52 PM
My friends and I love this place! This is usually our first meal in WDW. The immersive nature of the restaurant along with the entertainment is a great transition from the outside world. We love the food and the beer.

One tip...if you go here, at the meat carving station, they serve roast pork. Ask for some of the crispy skin. It is the best. Bacon WISHES it was this good. :beer:

swampfox28
04-11-2012, 12:01 AM
I remember really sweating about making an ADR here.. I was bringing my best friend from high school for a 2 day trip to Disney. As she was very into Germany (and has lived there more than once), I decided to surprise her (and hoped beyond hope that it would be good)...

It did NOT disappoint us at all. My friend said that the food was very good and pretty darn authentic - there was even some type of sausage she was so fond of that she asked a manager about where/how they got ahold of it!

Now, I should be honest and admit: I don't like beer. And I don't really like sausage that much. (gasp!!) But I *STILL* found tons of great stuff to eat and had a blast listening to the oompah band and watching all the dancing.

I would definitely recommend the Biergarten!