PDA

View Full Version : Best Nov/Dec dates?

kohlby
03-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi, I'm trying to figure out the least crowded time period to go in Nov/Dec. We went last year the last full week before Thanksgiving and it was great - but Veteran's day is going to likely effect those dates more this year. (Plus, I think I saw there was a race during the weekend as well).

So, I'm now considering the week after Thanksgiving, which would have us in the parks from Nov 25th-Dec 1. (I didn't include our driving dates). We would do Disney parks 5 days and Sea World one day and an off-day in the middle. So, if the crowds get predicted too high on that Sat Dec 1st, we'll just plan on SW that day.

I've looked up other sites and no one seems to agree on the best crowd week during that time frame. I've seen the first or second full week of Dec as lowest crowd weeks - but I thought that was only in years past and that it's increased. We've gone the first full week of Dec before and it was pretty quiet, but that was 5 years ago.

*I'm not sure if it makes a difference in planning but we're staying off-site and will have park hoppers.

faline
03-31-2012, 02:48 PM
There are many variables for that time of year. We were there last December from the 9th -16th and did not find it too crowded to enjoy - in fact, we rarely used fast pass at all. I think you'll be fine the week after Thanksgiving - you won't be alone but I don't think you'll find it uncomfortably crowded.

Pirate Granny
03-31-2012, 08:39 PM
We'll see you there...we are going nov. 28 - dec 2... Hoping for blue skys and decent weather.

Imalismom
04-02-2012, 05:22 PM
My parents (Mr. and Mrs. "Toot") like to go the first full week in December. They seem to think that it is less crowded during that time.

Gator
04-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Pop Warner week tends to crowd up the parks, as well as the resorts. That's usually the first full week of December. I'm not sure how Veteran's Day will affect the crowds. I'd love to know, because I'm thinking about that time frame as well.

andmomlau
04-05-2012, 09:22 PM
We were there last December 2-5 and it was fantastic! Beautiful wether, low crowds, even got a glimpse ofJustin Bieber filming the parade! The decorations were fantastic!!!

alliekat
04-06-2012, 09:51 AM
My dd and I went around Veterans day 2 years ago and the crowds were fine. My whole family is going this year also from 11/9 thru 11/15. The wine and dine half marathon is that Saturday, but I don't think it will make a huge impact on the crowds. Its also the end of Food and Wine at Epcot and most likley the Osbourne lights will be up. Also Mickey's very merry Christmas party will hopefully have started. So you get a bonus by getting all those things in at once. Thats how it lined up in 2010 hoping for the same this year. I am anxiously awaiting the party dates but am hopeful all will work out, good luck in planning.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
04-06-2012, 09:57 AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the free dining. Historically the value season between Thanksgiving and Christmas has been a great time to go. However, for the last three years Disney has been offering free dining (no word yet for 2012) for resort guests, and while I don't have documented proof, I think this may be the major contributing factor as to why crowd levels for this period are higher than what people remember from the past.

We were there during this time in 2010 and the crowds were definitely manageable, other than Toy Story I don't recall any real cumbersome wait lines. The crowds were definitely bigger than what I remember from 2007 but still not bad.

We just reserved a room at POR for this year, it's our favorite time to go.

Urbss
04-11-2012, 05:23 PM
We'll see you there...we are going nov. 28 - dec 2... Hoping for blue skys and decent weather.

So are we!! Well, actually we are going to be there Nov. 24th to Dec 1st, but close enough.

We went the week after Thanksgiving back in 2003 and it was great. The weather was nice most of the time and the crowds were very tolerable.

Camden'smom
04-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Wondering this myself. I really want to see the lights this year. Thinking of the week before or after Thanksgiving. I have been told the week before is great. Hoping for an answer.

Mogie
04-19-2012, 04:38 PM
I would avoid the Pop Warner time. Find out which day that ends and schedule your trip for the week after the kids leave.
Definitely DO NOT want to go over Thanksgiving weekend or the week of. Earlier in Thanksgiving is better.
But if youre looking forward to the Xmas decorations, I would go early December after Pop Warner. Cooler weather as well.

Katzateer
04-20-2012, 07:48 AM
My parents (Mr. and Mrs. "Toot") like to go the first full week in December. They seem to think that it is less crowded during that time.

I agree. We went that week for 10 years in a row and it is great. We have been going different dates the last few years and I miss our annual pre-holiday trip.