PDA

View Full Version : Pick our resort for this summer's trip!

TikiGoddess
03-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Vote for our summer vacation resort!

Before you vote, take these points into consideration...

1. We like fast and easy bus service/transportation.
2. Good pool theming a must.
3. Price is not an issue within the choices in the poll. Although my husband would be happier with a cheaper choice... ;)
4. We are a family of 4 (me, DH, DD9 and DD7).
5. We have already stayed at Pop, POFQ, WL, and AKL. A new resort would be cool but I'm not convinced we'll be happy at different resorts...

If you have a minute, tell me why you voted the way you did... I am interested in hearing about the best of the resorts!

Thanks!
Kathy

buzznwoodysmom
03-31-2012, 09:41 AM
I voted for Beach Club. For my family summer equals pool time and they have a wonderful pool. I also love the location. Being so close to Epcot is a plus in our book! I am big on our resort reflecting time of year and the Beach Club is definitely a "summer resort", in my opinion.

Mousemates
03-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Given the fact that you have already stayed at WL and AKl, and were considering a RG room, we went with POR. The rooms are wonderfully themed (the holographic art work, princess pictures and fireworks headboards would be great for your daughters) and have queen sleepers which reduce the "bed wars" among siblings.

Furthermore, since the rooms are in the mansions section (only Oak Manor right now) they not only are nicely themed outside and have elevator access, but also a good location. The grounds of the resort are as nice as any at WDW. A short walk along the Saassagoula and across the bridge to main resort lobby is always enjoyable. Your are also in easy distance to the old man river pool, have two large quiet pools nearby, and access to POFQ if you want to go back to relive swimming memories from your past. Furthermore, we love the boat to DD.

And....Dad will be happy with the price.

TikiGoddess
03-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Given the fact that you have already stayed at WL and AKl, and were considering a RG room, we went with POR. The rooms are wonderfully themed (the holographic art work, princess pictures and fireworks headboards would be great for your daughters) and have queen sleepers which reduce the "bed wars" among siblings.

The only thing I'm worred about with POR is the buses. In the summer POR has its own (doesn't share with POFQ) but I'm worried that it will take more time on the buses due to crowds and the fact that there are 4-5 stops. What was your experience?

We will have a car but prefer to ride the bus to the parks.

Kathy

disneymom15
03-31-2012, 09:59 AM
I voted for Beach Club. For my family summer equals pool time and they have a wonderful pool. I also love the location. Being so close to Epcot is a plus in our book! I am big on our resort reflecting time of year and the Beach Club is definitely a "summer resort", in my opinion.

I also voted for Beach Club.

DebK
03-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Another Beach Club vote.....

Mousemates
03-31-2012, 10:07 AM
We had no real issue with the bus service at the resort itself (our longest wait was likely in the fifteen minute range).

We did encounter an extremely lengthy line (even for after Wishes) to come back to the resort from the MK after wishes one night, not sure what went wrong, but knowing the layout of the resorts we walked right onto a bus to FQ and walked up from there. Talked to some other guests the next day and they said that they sent three consecutive riverside buses showed up soon thereafter and got the line back down to a manageable length.

Overall we found the bus service to be comparable to the other resorts we have stayed at.

By the way we love the beach club too...however, when our kids were younger we didn't like the fact that the kids had to leave the pool area and cross the walkway to ride the big slide...also the pool complex is so large its easy to lose sight lines and we ended up having to stand up and look for them alot. Your girls might be old enough to where this is not a concern for you though.

TikiGoddess
03-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Another Beach Club vote.....

How is Beach Club bus service? Does it usually just share buses with Yacht Club?

Kathy

wildernesslady
03-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Another vote for the BC. You can't beat the pool and walking into Epcot. When we stayed there we did share buses, but not during the busier times of the day.

Kairi_7378
03-31-2012, 10:50 AM
If I could vote for two, I would have chosen CSR and the Dolphin. I voted for CSR. We had very good CM experiences during our September visit. We had fantastic bus service there- I don't think we ever waited more that 10 minutes for a bus. Because of the frequency of buses, we didn't have to wait for a big crowd to get on at each of the stops, so they didn't slow us down much. It was also one of the closest bus stops to the park entrance, at least at MK and DHS. The Dolphin would give you the advantage of being at an Epcot resort for a lower cost than the Beach Club (which might make your husband happy, too!)

We have also had great bus service at POR.

Dopey's Girl
03-31-2012, 11:17 AM
I voted for WL. I love the pool, and the boat to MK can't be beat. BC was my next choice. I haven't stayed there yet, but the pool looks awesome.

buzznwoodysmom
03-31-2012, 11:27 AM
By the way we love the beach club too...however, when our kids were younger we didn't like the fact that the kids had to leave the pool area and cross the walkway to ride the big slide...also the pool complex is so large its easy to lose sight lines and we ended up having to stand up and look for them alot. Your girls might be old enough to where this is not a concern for you though.

I have to agree with you here. I did vote for Beach Club, but depending on your kids and their ability to swim this could be an issue. My kids were 9 and 7 when we stayed at Beach Club, and they are great swimmers, but I did find myself watching them, or looking for them. DH and I were in the pool with them most of the time, we are both big kids :blush:, but if your the type to want to sip on a drink, with a book in a lounge chair, this pool may not be as relaxing to you.

As far as bus service goes. We were there Thanksgiving week and I don't remember any issues with the buses. They were no better or worse than any other resort we've stayed at. We did share with the other Epcot resorts, but I don't remember if it was all the time, or just from time to time, but I don't recall it being an issue for us.

TikiGoddess
03-31-2012, 11:52 AM
My other issue with Beach Club -- no CS dining options. We tend to eat breakfast in our room, then eat either a light lunch or dinner at the resort, depending on our time in the parks. Resort restaurants are so much quieter and less crowded than the theme parks...

Kathy

floridamom
03-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Another Beach Club vote from me. Can't beat the pool theming, tons of nearby dining options, you can walk or take a boat to two parks, and we have never had issues with bus service, especially in comparison to Pop and POR/FQ.

We like the Dolphin as well but only if it is significantly cheaper (like 50%) than BC/YC, since you are sacrificing the better pool area and the more "Disney" theming. You also can't do the Dining Plan or use Magical Express at the Dolphin, if those are factors for you.

CuteAsMinnie
03-31-2012, 12:07 PM
WL has the most return guests of any resort on property!

:mickey:

SBETigg
03-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Beach Club does share buses with Yacht Club, and it stops there first. Sometimes, you also share with Dolphin/Swan (and it stops there first). I chose BC because if you're really into pools, I think you will love it. They do have CS. You can go to Hurricane Hanna's by the pool or the CS in the gift shop (really inconvenient and weird, I hated the arrangement but the food was okay). We didn't have any issue with the buses when we stayed at BC, but we didn't get to the MK as much as we like to. It was very convenient to Epcot and DHS. We spent a lot of time at World Showcase.

Overall, though, I liked the Dolphin better than I liked BC. The Beach Club, we discovered, just wasn't for us. I didn't like the vibe there, the very large amount of kids running around, the crowded feel of the lobby area/gift shop. I know a lot of people really love the Beach Club, and you might be one of them. It wasn't for us. And if money is an issue, I would definitely consider the Dolphin. The bus service was very good there, always a first pick up/drop off (for us, doesn't mean it's always that way) and never overcrowded. They have a 24 hour CS. Great restaurants, calm lobby, and a Disney gift shop-- it felt enough like a Disney resort to me. The pool area is not Stormalong Bay, but not bad at all. And location! Great location.

buzznwoodysmom
03-31-2012, 12:43 PM
As far as CS food options go, we didn't find it bothered us at all that BC is a bit limited in that department. We had lunch at the pool a few times and they had a decent enough selection that there were no complaints for any of us. We also enjoy Beaches N Cream, while not a CS location, it's a great place for a "not as expensive" TS meal, and the best thing is no ADR's, so you can go there when ever you feel like it.

disneymomma2010
03-31-2012, 07:56 PM
The only thing I'm worred about with POR is the buses. In the summer POR has its own (doesn't share with POFQ) but I'm worried that it will take more time on the buses due to crowds and the fact that there are 4-5 stops. What was your experience?

We will have a car but prefer to ride the bus to the parks.

Kathy

We love POR and have stayed there for the last two years. But I do have to say, last year the buses kind of got on our nerves. When we were in a hurry for a reservation it was more obvious. Maybe it was the bus stop that we were at but it had to circle the whole resort and stop everytime before we could leave. It also made frequent stops to FQ. It seemed to take forever!

goofy-4-disney
04-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I voted for Beach Club. Best pool on property and arguably the best location on property (close to Epcot and DHS). I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of CS for breakfast. We found that the options at the gift shop were more than enough for breakfast. Also, the bakery at Boardwalk is within walking distance to grab some items for breakfast as well.

darthmacho
04-02-2012, 01:48 PM
My favorite resort is WL, but I voted for my most recent resort, POR, because I thought you might enjoy something that is new to you, and I recommend Boatwright's for dinner. :mickey:

TikiGoddess
04-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Well, thanks to everyone who voted and weighed in. The final choice was made tonight.....

Drum roll....

Beach Club!

It was a tight race between AKL club level and Beach Club. We love the lounge but in the end, I think it will be great to try a new resort. Being so close to Epcot and having an awesome pool will help too.

Thanks so much for your help!
Kathy

slegrant
04-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Of the resorts you posted I would pick the Wilderness Lodge. We love the theme and love being close to the Magic Kingdom. It is so peaceful there. Beach club would be my second choice. As my kids are older the pool there would be a blast for them and my whole family loves Epcot so being able to walk there is a plus.

Have fun:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Although I've never stayed there I voted for Beach Club because of the ability to walk to Epcot.

finaldynasty
04-03-2012, 12:14 PM
My vote is POR Princess, Royal rooms! Have a great vacation!!

:mickey:

Mousemates
04-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Well, thanks to everyone who voted and weighed in. The final choice was made tonight.....

Drum roll....

Beach Club!

Great choice...BC or WL are our choices when the money thing doesn't come into play...(but with one in college that doesn't happen much anymore)...to us BC has the best location in WDW, especially when you also consider walkable access to the boardwalk and mini-golf.

RAIDER
04-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Another vote for Beach Club .You have the pools and Boardwalk is on your doorstep so theres always something going on at night .
Theres so many things to do ,you cant go wrong :thumbsup:

Have fun whatever place you choose

A second option would be the CBR with the Caribbean feel its so relaxing

LudwigVonDrake
04-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Wilderness Lodge is hands down my favorite. The boat ride to the MK can't be beat :mickey:

Disney Doll
04-11-2012, 03:25 PM
I think you made a great choice. We just love Beach Club and their pool is awesome! Have fun!:mickey:

tjstrike
04-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Beach club.

1. Great pool
2. Excellent back entrance to Epcot
3. Good bus transportation to the other parks.

Overall it's a very nice resort. :thumbsup:

Jillirose
04-14-2012, 08:54 PM
BC and Dolphin are our favorites - for pools, location, transportation. If we spent most of our time at MK, I would pick WL.

jwallace378
04-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Beach Club...best pool ever. Tons of great food options within walking distance as well

Fastpasssteve
04-15-2012, 09:20 PM
I know many will disagree with me, but I love the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Many people feel as if the AKL is too far from the action and most of the parks. I disagree. Anywhere in WDW takes a bus ride. If you're with people you like, the trips are short.

I love the Animal Kingdom Lodge for the luxurious rooms, the overall design of the resort, the animals on the various savannahs, the decor in the main lobby, and for the two great restaurants in the hotel.

TikiGoddess
04-16-2012, 07:20 AM
I know many will disagree with me, but I love the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Many people feel as if the AKL is too far from the action and most of the parks. I disagree. Anywhere in WDW takes a bus ride. If you're with people you like, the trips are short.

I love the Animal Kingdom Lodge for the luxurious rooms, the overall design of the resort, the animals on the various savannahs, the decor in the main lobby, and for the two great restaurants in the hotel.

AKL was our second choice, and it came in a close second. We have stayed there twice before, the last time concierge level. It was very hard to give it up for this trip, but we wanted to do something different. I know we'll be back to AKL again. It is an amazing resort, for all the reasons you listed.

Beach Club has to be incredible this summer to beat last year's AKL stay. :)

Kathy

Aurora
04-16-2012, 11:16 AM
AKL was our second choice, and it came in a close second. We have stayed there twice before, the last time concierge level. It was very hard to give it up for this trip, but we wanted to do something different. I know we'll be back to AKL again. It is an amazing resort, for all the reasons you listed.

Beach Club has to be incredible this summer to beat last year's AKL stay. :)

Kathy

I voted for Beach Club because of your qualifications, but I have to say, if you love AKL, I don't think you'll find the Beach Club "incredible."

The best things about it are the pool and the proximity to Epcot, the Boardwalk and Hollywood Studios. I think they also have the best dinner buffet on property, so if you're staying there, I'd put this on my list.

But depending on what you like in a pool, it might not stack up to AKL. The sandy bottom and "beach" area next to it is nice for the kids, but others are right in terms of sightlines -- the pool winds around in alcoves, so you can't see most of it in one spot.

The hotel itself, IMHO, is nice but not fantastic. If you love the luxury of AKL, I'm afraid the Beach Club might not compare.