PDA

View Full Version : Did your kids get tired of the disney trips when they became teenagers?

disneymomma2010
03-30-2012, 11:09 PM
My boys are 8 and all they can remember is going to disneyworld every year, we started taking them when they were 3. They absolutly love dw and ask me every day when are we going back. But I often wonder will I burn them out? When they get older and start the whole teenage attitude of Im too cool to be seen with my parents and all that are they still going to want to go? I would love to hear of others' experience who their children are older now, or grown, of how they did as they grew up. Did they come to the point where disney was lame? Or did they continue to love it? Just wondering what Im in for. Thanks!

....Although, if it is too lame for them I can just leave them at home and have a trip with just DH and I :woohoo::party2::vacation:

Georgesgirl1
03-30-2012, 11:25 PM
I am 31 and my brother is 29 and we have gone to WDW almost every year since we were babies and neither one of us ever went through a phase where we didn't like going to Disney with our parents. We also took several extended family trips and those trips with all of my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins are some of my favorite vacations ever!
If my boys ever decide they are too cool for Disney, I might have to disown them ;)

DVC2004
03-30-2012, 11:43 PM
My boys are teens and we've gone every year since they were about 3 and 5. They love it and are always happy to go back. They enjoy Universal now, too, but still love Disney.

mgmnut
03-30-2012, 11:58 PM
We had 5 years between trip, they were 8 in 2006 and 13 last trip in 2011, which I wondered if it would be the last. I was booking a trip to the Carribean for this year when the kids stepped in and demanded to go back to Disney.

My daughter will hang with me and show affection the whole time while we are at Disney!!

Now, If I run into her at the mall... totally different story!!

SBETigg
03-31-2012, 12:03 AM
We go every other year or so, since the kids were 10 and 8. My kids are now going on 19 and 21 and they still love to go, but they also have expressed interest to go other places as well or instead, and I don't think my son would happily go every year. But he hasn't been since 2010 and he is ready to go back-- also because he is going to be 21 and has new interest in World Showcase. My daughter could happily go every year, though she has also been interested in expanding our travel horizons. I think going every year would have sparked a rebellion sooner. As it is, they are still happy to go with us. But also okay if we go without them (and we have).

Jeff
03-31-2012, 08:39 AM
My daughter is now 21. We went at least once a year science she was 6, however this year we have no plans to go and she is pleading to make a summer trip!

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-31-2012, 09:04 AM
We're just entering the teenage years (DD will be 14 soon), but she is still the one really pushing to go to Disney every year. I get in trouble if I suggest somewhere else (except maby WIlliamsburg, she loves that too).

She is already planning her 16th b-day at Disney. I think it is in her genes :)

slottedpig
03-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Mine started to want to do other things around 14. We switched to cruises and beach resorts. My wife and I just did our first empty nest trip last September and all of the kids were very curious -- asking about old favorite rides and did we do this or that.

Ms. Mode
03-31-2012, 10:15 AM
We couldn't afford a trip until our DD was a teenager....she loves it there as much as I do and will be honeymooning there this May. :mickey:

Dopey's Girl
03-31-2012, 11:29 AM
We went as kids, and I never went through a too cool for Walt Disney World phase. I'm in my 30's now and can't get there often enough.

My brother was over it for a while, but now that he has kids of his own, he's more excited to go than ever.

buzznwoodysmom
03-31-2012, 11:40 AM
No teenagers yet, but I do have 12 and 10 year old boys. I hope they never outgrow our WDW family vacations!

DH will be away for almost a month at the end of summer. My mom and I decided to take my boys on a little vacation as an end of summer blowout. My kids told us they either wanted to go to WDW or STAY HOME! They said if it's not Disney they'd rather spend the end of summer with their friends in the neighborhood, but if it's WDW then they definitely want to go. So no signs of "too cool for WDW" yet!

mdhiggin
03-31-2012, 02:01 PM
My almost 17 year old boy still enjoys it, and we have been every year since he was 5, mostly multiple times a year.

wildernesslady
03-31-2012, 02:26 PM
My girls are 21, 26, and 28. They still love it. I also have 3 grandsons and they are being prepped for many WDW vacations to come. We live close to the Jersey shore and DW always comes out cheaper for us.

disneymomma2010
03-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Good to know! thanks! :thumbsup: ....so, I guess DH and I wont be going by ourselves for a while:secret:

pdrlkr
03-31-2012, 10:56 PM
I have an 18 and 15 yr old. They still enjoy going every year and sometimes more than once a year. As they got older we started to involve them more in the planning which I think made a big difference. :thumbsup: :mickey:

joonyer
03-31-2012, 11:52 PM
When our boys were small, we took a WDW family vacation about every two years, and they certainly loved going to WDW. When they got to be teenagers, they actually started visiting WDW without us almost every year, sometimes more than once, with school groups such as Band trips, Drama club, and church youth group trips, so they are still getting their fill of WDW and still loving it. The wife and I are getting jealous of their frequent trips without us!

datacot
04-01-2012, 03:51 AM
i would say my 13 y o son, enjoys it more now,
i spose disney is cool at any age, :D

Janmac
04-01-2012, 03:27 PM
For almost 30 years we've been going to WDW every other year. The following kids started going between 2 and 7 years old.

Niece: last trip at 14; started again at 24

Middle grandson: last trip at 13; went at 21, skipped next two trips, hopes to go at 30.

Youngest grandson: last trip at 17; hopes to go again at 23.

Youngest granddaughter: last trip at 14; hopes to go again at 22 but with college in the mix it might be at 24.

All of them love Disney. But it seems to take a back seat for awhile.

Jan

Disney Yankee
04-01-2012, 10:06 PM
We have gone to DW every year since my youngest son was 3 and my oldest was 7. The boys are now 10 and 14. This is the first year we have skipped, :mad:
Although we all understand the economic benefit of this decision, the boys are disappointed. Can't wait till 2013!:mickey:

Tink#64
04-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Our 1st WDW trip DS's were 4 & 6. We returned 2 years later & visited WDW 3 years in a row. That year youngest DS 8 asked several times, do we have to do this that & the other! :ack: DH & I made the decision that we'd start planning WDW every other year with beach vaca's, etc on the off years. This has worked great for us. BUT, honestly, we've cancelled a couple of beach vaca's & made our WDW ressie's because DS's have commented that they wished we were going to WDW! :cloud9: I like you, disneymomma2010, was always wondering if there would come a point that my DS' would outgrow WDW (hopefully only temporarily), so upon hearing their desire to return to WDW & fearing it may be the last family trip there, at least until they grew up a bit & regained their senses :funny:, I have scrambled several times to make more of those magical WDW memories! (Most recently last year, we also went in 2010!) Alas, my DS's are now 14 & 16 & we're planning our first real road trip to Niagara Falls, NY & VA Beach this year, BOTH DS's have let me know that they fully expect that we'll return to WDW next year to experience the new FL refurb! :D

I've actually had this conversation with them, and told them my fears and both DS's have said that they can't imagine not wanting to go to WDW! IMHO, it seems from reading so many accounts here on Intercot, that the kids that grow up going to WDW don't seem to go through that so much as the kids that have experienced their first visit as teens or possibly preteens. I'm not sure if it's because they were past the age of thinking some of the magic was real, or possibly WDW just not their cup of tea.

I'm so hoping that my DS's never lose their love of WDW and all the magic there! :tink:

iluvdumbo
04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
I have been going to WDW since I was four. Fourteen years later I still desperately want to go to WDW and wish those vacations were the only ones that we take because I hate beach vacations. I for one will never get tired of Disney :D :dumbo:

#1donaldfan
04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
My kids still love the magic they receive at Disney. My, now 20 yr old DD still loves going and is currently planning our next trip for this August. :thumbsup:

goofy89
04-04-2012, 12:04 PM
I went every year growing up and I still do now! It never got old or boring for me. I think going so much growing up is what made me the fanatic I am today!

Peterpanflight
04-05-2012, 09:06 AM
My brother and I were brought to Disney every year since we were infants. I am 34 and a complete disney freak. Disney tattoo, DVC members, themed Disney kitchen, bathroom, kids rooms...there is not one room in my house that does not have something Disney in it. I can't miss a year of Disney and need to go at least once a year:mickey:
However my brother who is 32 says he has had enough of Disney and has no desire to go back till he has kids.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
I think it is the personality of the child that makes the difference. I have one child (my youngest) that is on the fence for another Disney trip. Where as my oldest sons - 22 yr old twins - well, one was planning a Disneymoon before he was dumped by his fiance. The other is saving now to be able to go with his wife sometime in the next few years.
My 17 yr old daughter asked for a Disney trip for her HS graduation...we arrive in June.

caryrae
04-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I know some people like to go every year but it may be good to let them experience other places too. There are so many great places to visit in the US alone. I do have to say we have been many places but I do prefer Disney World but would love to go out west again to see the National Parks and Rocky Mountains again.

dizneydeb22
04-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Our son is 12 and we have nephews who are 18,19, and 20 who go with us every year. My husband and I took an adult only trip in 2010 for 5 days and they haven't let us forget it! Now my nephews ask to bring their girlfriends! Last year was the first year we allowed it, after meeting parents and arranging connecting rooms, etc.....we had a ball!

But like another poster said, it depends on the personality of the child! Keep the faith!

Scott C
04-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Things do change somewhat, but they still enjoy being there. I found it best to let them go and do there own thing - and they could hang with mom and dad when they wanted to. Now that they are in college, I can tell that they really enjoyed those trips. Just last Friday, their fraternity had spent the week in Clearwater building a habitat house-they decided to go to Downtown Disney on Friday night. They got into the House of Blues at the last minute , did some shopping and rode the monorail and fit wishes in also

When they were in Europe last summer, they went way out of the way to visit Disneyland Paris.

There will be rough patches when they are teens, but mine always seem to go back to Disney...

Scott C

amorillo
04-10-2012, 02:30 PM
My oldest, DD14 and DS17 have gone just about every year since each of them were 3. I wasn't sure if DS would want to go this year... but when i asked he said "yeah" (with that teenage tone of voice that really said "duh mom" lol) and now with just four days until we schedule our meals... they are both arguing about which places they NEED to eat at! :D

mouseketeer mom
04-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Nope. No magic lost, if anything, it's intensified. We are heading down in two days for DD #1's 18th BD. Her perfect place to celebrate her BD. And she's applying to the Disney college program in August!

disneymomma2010
04-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Nope. No magic lost, if anything, it's intensified. We are heading down in two days for DD #1's 18th BD. Her perfect place to celebrate her BD. And she's applying to the Disney college program in August!

I love reading your trip reports. I can't wait to hear about your next trip! Happy birthday to your daughter!:party:

Niecyboo
04-11-2012, 10:36 PM
I was thinking of this post just the other day.

We were driving home from my Mom's and my 17 year old had her Ipod going with "her music" and her earphones in kind of singing along under her breath. At first I couldn't tell the tune or words, just that she was singing under her breath. Suddenly, I heard her singing "to the Laughing Place...yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck" LOL Yes. My 17 year old's "music" was Disney. She also still expects us to do character meals on every trip. No magic lost for her.

disneymomma2010
04-12-2012, 08:01 PM
I was thinking of this post just the other day.

We were driving home from my Mom's and my 17 year old had her Ipod going with "her music" and her earphones in kind of singing along under her breath. At first I couldn't tell the tune or words, just that she was singing under her breath. Suddenly, I heard her singing "to the Laughing Place...yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck" LOL Yes. My 17 year old's "music" was Disney. She also still expects us to do character meals on every trip. No magic lost for her.

:funny:

IloveDisney71
04-13-2012, 09:19 PM
My DD's are now 22 & 23 and they've been making trips to WDW since they were 2 & 3. They made numerous trips when they were teenagers. Several times we took friends of theirs with us when they were teenagers which added to the fun. They never got tired of it. They are even talking about going on a trip to WDW together when they finally graduate from college. They asked us if that could be their graduation present. Maybe it can be if I get to go with them! :D

tjstrike
04-21-2012, 07:28 PM
I've got a 16, 14 and 12 yr. old and they all still love Disney. We've been taking them since 2002.

azcavalier
04-25-2012, 09:42 AM
I have a 15yr old and 12 yr old. We have gone every year since the 12 yr old was 2, but last year they didn't go. Now, it wasn't because they didn't want to...it was because we felt their grades weren't where they should be. We have it as a requirement that WDW is a priviledge, and they have to earn it through grades....all A's and B's. Honestly, if they got mostly A's and B's with the occasional C, we'd still let them go. But they didn't, and they stayed home. This year, they still haven't gotten their grades up, and so they'll be staying home.

I asked my DS15 the other day if it was motivation for him to do better, and he said that there are some things he'd like to do and see again, but that he's OK with staying home. He's so laid back....he doesn't get super excited or super depressed about anything.

My DD12 would love to go back...she loves everything about WDW. We'll see now if she decides to wake up and take school seriously.

MickeyMousse
04-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Absolutely not! My DS15 just asked when we are going back and wants to help with the planning. :thumbsup:

minnie04
04-25-2012, 10:31 AM
We have been going since the kids were little as well. They are now 20/16/8. I thought they would burn out of going all the time, but i was wrong. Maybe because we go in groups of family and friends they always have someone their age with them. And no matter how old they get they always want to do the same rides and its not for the 8 yr. old. its because they truely luv the parks... Im so blessed they are good kids and we can make it happen at least once or twice a year. :mickey:

It brings back so many memories for me as the mom. Packing all their little disney themed clothes, making sure they had new shoes and nice things to wear. Calling for reservations making sure we got the rooms we wanted and needed. (with big groups). Everyone meeting at 5:00am to take off on the trip. Getting to the hotels. The feeling you get coming into the Disney area. The kids so excited to see everything. Running from ride to ride. Pushing Strollers with 2 or 3 little ones inside. Making sure we made the shows & Parades getting seats 1hour before.Fireworks a must in front of the castle. Pictures at every stop with whatever charactor was around. Hitting the stores on the way out to make sure everyone got a little something to take home.

Skip ahead 20 years later. Now its leave when ever we get up. Pack what ever you want to wear for the weekend or week. find a resort with a kitchen and 2 or more rooms (out grown disney rooms). Arriving in Orlando,looking back at the "kids" and everyone is either sleeping or with headphones on, texting "we're here" or watching a movie.. Eat where ever they want. no strollers. Pictures yes, with (DD)boyfriend and friends not so much mom and dad, parades if we can make it there on time to find a seat. Fireworks watching from where ever we are in the park. Shopping, not so much, but they will get a little something if they feel like it. They hold out for outlet shopping..lol..Im the one that has to have something Disney before I leave.

with all that I wouldnt trade our time at WDW for anything in the world!!!!!

Tink#64
04-26-2012, 12:52 AM
:cloud9:Oh Minnie04, reading your post borught tears to my eyes! I read through your timeline of how your trips were so planned & how they are now. Gosh I feel (& lived thru) these exact scenarios! Even with the difference in the ages/changes & how the trips are handled, it's all still very magical! My we don't realize how our babies have grown & how things have changed until we really take a step back! Wouldn't trade a single moment for anything in the world! We say the word vacation & my teen DS's still automatically say Disney! :mickey: :cloud9:

Wolf
04-26-2012, 09:11 AM
I never went as a kid, so my first trip was at age 15 with my Mom, I'm now 25 and take her on trips instead of the other way around. It's a great chance for us to just hang out the two of us for a week and I wouldn't give that time up for anything.

disneymomma2010
04-26-2012, 04:42 PM
We have been going since the kids were little as well. They are now 20/16/8. I thought they would burn out of going all the time, but i was wrong. Maybe because we go in groups of family and friends they always have someone their age with them. And no matter how old they get they always want to do the same rides and its not for the 8 yr. old. its because they truely luv the parks... Im so blessed they are good kids and we can make it happen at least once or twice a year. :mickey:

It brings back so many memories for me as the mom. Packing all their little disney themed clothes, making sure they had new shoes and nice things to wear. Calling for reservations making sure we got the rooms we wanted and needed. (with big groups). Everyone meeting at 5:00am to take off on the trip. Getting to the hotels. The feeling you get coming into the Disney area. The kids so excited to see everything. Running from ride to ride. Pushing Strollers with 2 or 3 little ones inside. Making sure we made the shows & Parades getting seats 1hour before.Fireworks a must in front of the castle. Pictures at every stop with whatever charactor was around. Hitting the stores on the way out to make sure everyone got a little something to take home.

Skip ahead 20 years later. Now its leave when ever we get up. Pack what ever you want to wear for the weekend or week. find a resort with a kitchen and 2 or more rooms (out grown disney rooms). Arriving in Orlando,looking back at the "kids" and everyone is either sleeping or with headphones on, texting "we're here" or watching a movie.. Eat where ever they want. no strollers. Pictures yes, with (DD)boyfriend and friends not so much mom and dad, parades if we can make it there on time to find a seat. Fireworks watching from where ever we are in the park. Shopping, not so much, but they will get a little something if they feel like it. They hold out for outlet shopping..lol..Im the one that has to have something Disney before I leave.

with all that I wouldnt trade our time at WDW for anything in the world!!!!!

Thank you for reminding me that I really need to cherish these years while they are young and excited and everything is so magical. Maybe on the next trip when my boys are so over excited that they are getting on my nerves I will remember your post and be grateful that they are excited, because maybe in a few years they will have a "whatever" attitude.... and not even want to hang out with mom and dad.