PDA

View Full Version : First the Tronorail, now...Avengerail

Christine
03-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Disney world announced there will be a monorail overlay to promote the Avengers movie debuting this summer. Characters from the film and the name of the movie will be displayed on the train.

My husband will be THRILLED! :D

TheVBs
03-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Cool! Hope to see pictures. :mickey:

Melanie
03-30-2012, 04:31 PM
I heard about this a week or so ago. While I realize Disney has the rights to Marvel, personally my initial thoughts were how strange it would seem at Disney. Those thoughts haven't changed.

Tron I didn't mind (although it stayed a bit too long). Tron is Disney and always has been Disney.

buzznwoodysmom
03-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Ugh, not at all appealing to me. I'm with Mel, I just don't think Marvel fits Disney at all.

Main Street Jim
03-30-2012, 06:26 PM
The "Aveng-orail" is coming to Walt Disney World... (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/03/marvels-the-avengers-themed-monorail-to-debut-this-spring-at-walt-disney-world-resort/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DisneyParks+%28Disney+Parks+B log%29&utm_content=FaceBook)

OK....."Tronorail" was....*okay*.....but....to blatantly call out your competition (Universal Studios) up the street by displaying characters that they currently have in *their* parks.....is just....so......*wrong*.

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ave396743SMALL.jpg

TheVBs
03-31-2012, 08:20 AM
I can understand the points made... but it sure does look cool! :cool:

Dopey's Girl
03-31-2012, 11:24 AM
I'd much rather see them use 'real' Disney characters just to make the monorail look cool. The marvel characters just don't do anything for me.

DizneyFreak2002
03-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Rut-roh.... Universal isn't happy with this because Disney isn't allowed to use Marvel in WDW... I smell breach of contract suits...

2Epcot
03-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Rut-roh.... Universal isn't happy with this because Disney isn't allowed to use Marvel in WDW... I smell breach of contract suits...

I saw on another site that it is most likely OK because just like the Marvel merchandise that is in the parks, the Monorail isn't part of a theme park land or attraction.

DizneyFreak2002
03-31-2012, 11:24 PM
I saw on another site that it is most likely OK because just like the Marvel merchandise that is in the parks, the Monorail isn't part of a theme park land or attraction.

Universal has the rights to the characters, Disney cannot display them... Merchandise is a whole other issue... Universal cannot stop someone from selling merchandise... But, if they so chose, they can fight for an injunction since Disney is displaying the characters in WDW, which, again, by contract,WDW cannot do....

Just may not be worth the hassle, especially fees that may incur, since they won't be damaged by this in any way...

Melanie
04-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Even worse, this is going on the Magic Kingdom line. Because of the agreement, the fact that the Epcot line enters the park means this can't be on the Epcot line. I really dislike this.

Of course, all the comments on the Official Disney blog page are positive. :unsure:

Here's the photo.

AgentC
04-01-2012, 08:52 AM
It is very cool looking, but I agree it seems like a weird fit with the Magic Kingdom.

Melanie
04-01-2012, 08:53 AM
It is very cool looking, but I agree it seems like a weird fit with the Magic Kingdom.

Totally agree. It IS cool looking and I'm very much looking forward to the movie. I love these characters....just not at WDW.

March Hare
04-01-2012, 11:47 AM

Universal has the rights to the characters, Disney cannot display them... Merchandise is a whole other issue... Universal cannot stop someone from selling merchandise... But, if they so chose, they can fight for an injunction since Disney is displaying the characters in WDW, which, again, by contract,WDW cannot do....

Just may not be worth the hassle, especially fees that may incur, since they won't be damaged by this in any way...

Actually Universal only has the rights to the characters they have used and how they have them used they can't change the attraction without permission from Disney unless the change was approved prior to the purchase and can't add any new story lines or characters.

Attractions (Characters licensed for the attraction use are individual unless otherwise noted.): Spider-Man, Doc Oc, Scream, Electro, Hydro-Man, Hobgoblin, J. Jonah Jameson, Hulk/Bruce Banner, Dr. Doom, Fantastic Four (as a group, not individually), Storm, Magneto, Professor X.

Walk around and/or Shop: Green Goblin, Cyclops, Rogue, Wolverine, Fantastic 4(as a group, not individually)(restaurant / walk around), Captain America(individual) (restaurant / walk around), Kingpin (shop / walk around), Merch (shop)

Universal’s current attractions are safe, as are the themed eateries/shops. Any Marvel characters not used presently by Universal will not be used from here on. The walk-around characters that are not connected to an attraction are a separate contract than the rides/overall naming rights, and is not perpetual until the end of use as agreed.

So if Universal stops using them they become the property of Disney that being said Disney can't separate the Avengers or they would be in breech of the contract with Universal
Disney actually has the right to tell Universal what merchandise they can sell and how they can sell them and collects royalties on everything Marvel. Universal also gives up the rights if they lessen the amount of dedicated retail space, advertising, or allow any non-marvel characters into Marvel Superhero Island

Jared
04-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Regardless of the contract stuff -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- I think it actually looks pretty cool.

Let the flaming begin.

big blue and hairy
04-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Regardless of the contract stuff -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- I think it actually looks pretty cool.

Let the flaming begin.

:flame: :flame:.....Actually, I'm with ya...

:sulley:

DizneyFreak2002
04-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Looks like Thor is, um, releasing lightning from, well.....

buzznwoodysmom
04-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Even with the photo, I still don't like it. I guess it sort of looks cool on it's own, but I just think it's totally wrong for WDW in general, but expecially for the Magic Kingdom line. When exactly are they supposed to roll it out???

PopPhan
04-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Even with the photo, I still don't like it. I guess it sort of looks cool on it's own, but I just think it's totally wrong for WDW in general, but expecially for the Magic Kingdom line. When exactly are they supposed to roll it out???

It rolled out on Saturday. It should be around for a few months as there are comments (rumors?) that it will be around well after the movie opens in May.

DizneyFreak2002
04-02-2012, 01:26 PM

It's been on the line for a few days already...

Melanie
04-02-2012, 02:26 PM
It rolled out on Saturday. It should be around for a few months as there are comments (rumors?) that it will be around well after the movie opens in May.

If Tronorail is any indication, it will be around weeeeeelllll after the movie opens...and disappears from theaters. ;)

Lizzy
04-02-2012, 02:57 PM
I actually think this looks horrible on the monorail. It totally ruins the theming for the entrance to Main Street IMHO. It just doesn't belong. Wrap the buses not the monrails. :down:

buzznwoodysmom
04-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Ugh, I guess this means I'll have to see it if we go in July????? I actually hate it!

Oh well, at the end of the day I have far more important things to worry about than a monorail, right? LOL!! :blush:

DizneyFreak2002
04-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Or until Universal decides to order a cease and desist... LOL

DVC2004
04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm with those that think it looks out of place. Don't like it, does not fit, has nothing to do with Disney. Are they that threatened by Universal these days? Sheesh :confused:. For a place that prides itself, or used to, on theming and attention to detail?

This going to the Magic Kingdom? This will confuse the you-know-what out of those that are unfamiliar. I have already been in line at Universal where a man was trying to use his Disney Park Hoppers to get in, "Because," as he told the lady at the turnstile, "his travel agent told him these tickets were good at [I]all[I] the parks."

Lizzy
04-02-2012, 05:11 PM
I forgot that I wanted to add that it looks like an ad for Universal at Disney :ack:

shadowden
04-02-2012, 08:53 PM
"Because," as he told the lady at the turnstile, "his travel agent told him these tickets were good at [I]all[I] the parks."

LOL! Hilarious!:rotfl:

Jared
04-03-2012, 09:57 AM
:flame: :flame:.....Actually, I'm with ya...

:sulley:
Flame on.

No pun intended.

:flame:

SurferStitch
04-03-2012, 12:40 PM
I think it looks very cool... love the whole "blacked out" look....

....BUT.....

It doesn't work at WDW. Really doesn't work.

Sorry.

Disney Doll
04-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Yeah, add me to the chorus of people that doesn't like this at Disney. I hate the Marvel stuff and Disney together at all. Even the marvel merchandise in the Disney stores makes me cringe. Just because they bought the rights doesn't make it Disney. Disney has so many great characters of their own. I just don't understand the need and I certainly feel like this will be an eyesore at the MK.

laprana
04-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I agree with everyone else who doesn't think it fits in MK! It doesn't! Tron, I could see that with Epcot, but this is a stretch to say the least. :(

Jared
04-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I agree with everyone else who doesn't think it fits in MK! It doesn't! Tron, I could see that with Epcot, but this is a stretch to say the least. :(
Eh, people made the same complaints about Star Tours and Indiana Jones once upon a time. I'm not sure why the Lucas properties have been accepted as pure Disney, while Marvel and Avatar are blasphemy.

LarryBoy
04-04-2012, 10:40 AM
I kept hoping this was an April Fools joke, but alas no. It's not that I don't like Marvel or The Avengers, I just don't think it fits. Call me old fashioned, but I want the monorail to look like the monorail.

AgentC
04-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Eh, people made the same complaints about Star Tours and Indiana Jones once upon a time. I'm not sure why the Lucas properties have been accepted as pure Disney, while Marvel and Avatar are blasphemy.

I don't mind Marvel (My decision on Avatar is still out until I see their plans.) And I don't really mind a wrapped monorail.

I just think Marvel feels weird at MK since there is no tie in to anything at MK. So it feels just like an ad I could see anywhere instead of a part of the park experience.

sixshot19
04-04-2012, 02:03 PM
I am both a Disney nut and a comic book nut, and Marvel has always been my favourite. The monorail looks awesome, I can't wait to see it, in May on our next trip.

I will say Marvel is an odd fit with MK, and even with me having a hand drawn cel of Mickey hanging above my desk, right beside a cel of Wolverine. I still don't think they work together, but I love both.

Remember it's all marketing, and Disney dropped the ball on John Carter, I think the monorail is a step in the right direction in that regard.

It won't be around forever, we will get monorail red back, the way she is supposed to be. It is nice to see Disney experimenting with neat ads though.

On a side note a Marvel land at DHS would be fantastic, an Avengers parade with Mickey in the lead float yelling AVENGERS ASSEMBLE......sorry had to do it.

Disney Doll
04-04-2012, 03:50 PM

Yeah, but Star Tours and Indiana Jones are at DHS. I get the tie in with a movie/hollywood themed park like DHS. Completely different vibe at MK though.

Quadstriker
04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
All the fun, charm, nostalgia, and anything remotely interesting about comic book characters has been so exploited and overused by Hollywood over the last 10-15 years that it's just a big yawnfest these days whenever yet another comic tie-in appears anywhere. This gets a big thumbs down from me. Nothing to do with Disney at all and feels like selling out.

kakn7294
04-04-2012, 11:01 PM
You all can say what you will but I LOVE it and would have loved to see Disney have more Marvel stuff. I hate most of Universal but we loved Marvel Island.

DizneyFreak2002
04-05-2012, 12:20 AM
You all can say what you will but I LOVE it and would have loved to see Disney have more Marvel stuff. I hate most of Universal but we loved Marvel Island.

Unless Disney buys out the contract for hundreds of millions if not billions, then don't expect much more than a Marvel billboard outside of the theme parks...

BrerSchultzy
04-05-2012, 08:40 AM
I think that the last thing I want to think about on my way to MK is mass destruction. I think of these movies, and I think of buildings being toppled, cars being thrown through the air, and the Statue of Liberty getting blown up. That's not what I want in my head as I walk down the ramp toward the turnstiles. That's what doesn't "fit" for me.

Jared
04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah, but Star Tours and Indiana Jones are at DHS. I get the tie in with a movie/hollywood themed park like DHS. Completely different vibe at MK though.
Point taken. I'm just saying that there has been a lot of revisionist history regarding those properties' "place" at Walt Disney World. Let's look back in 20 years and see how people feel about some of these new franchises potentially entering the parks.

DizneyFreak2002
04-05-2012, 01:59 PM
I think that the last thing I want to think about on my way to MK is mass destruction. I think of these movies, and I think of buildings being toppled, cars being thrown through the air, and the Statue of Liberty getting blown up. That's not what I want in my head as I walk down the ramp toward the turnstiles. That's what doesn't "fit" for me.

Then by all means, but them in DHS and let them have at it... That park needs a do over.. LOL

Quadstriker
04-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Mr. Steve has got a point here.

Stu29573
04-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Not a fan of the Marvel stuff. Just saying.

BrerSchultzy
04-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Then by all means, but them in DHS and let them have at it... That park needs a do over.. LOL

Sounds like an excellent idea to me!

Jared
04-08-2012, 09:11 AM
A California Adventure-style reboot would do wonders for Hollywood Studios. Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards are pitch perfect -- thematically, one of the most well-done areas in any of the four Florida parks. Literally everything else needs substantial work.

EeyoresBestFriend
04-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Totally agree. It IS cool looking and I'm very much looking forward to the movie. I love these characters....just not at WDW.

I'm with you, but then I really liked the Tronorail too . . . . :D

ANG
04-18-2012, 11:56 AM
My DH will be thrilled to see this

Septbride2002
04-26-2012, 07:04 PM
love it!

disneykidsince1970
04-27-2012, 03:48 AM
With my MARKETING HAT on:

:party:

With my CONSUMER HAT on:
:ack: :ack: :ack: :ack:

Not2Loud
04-27-2012, 08:22 AM
First I will say, I love Disney and I also love Marvel. Do I want to see Marvel characters in MK? No.

With that said, WDW is an escape for me. So letting me indulge all of my fictional heros is ok with me. I saw the AvengerRail when I walked out of the Contemporary a few weeks ago and loved it! It didn't change my view of MK or WDW at all, it simply made me more excited to see the movie and I thought it looked pretty cool.

There is no right answer on this topic I suppose, but lets face it, we are all just adult sized kids and we love our WDW.

DizneyFreak2002
04-27-2012, 12:51 PM
First I will say, I love Disney and I also love Marvel. Do I want to see Marvel characters in MK? No.

You don't have to worry about that... Universal says so..

Dopey's Girl
04-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Just saw it...very cool. Not a good look for MK.

texas211
04-30-2012, 09:06 PM
I was standing in line on Sunday at saw it zoom buy. Does look a bit odd at MK to see Marvel characters zoom by. I kinda liked the tron one though.

Tekneek
05-06-2012, 12:05 PM
So, how many people have got on it trying to get to the Hulk coaster?