PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green

redleg96
03-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Noticed that there wasn't much discussion about SoG (most likely due to the limited people that can take advantage of it). I just wanted to try to 'pick the brains' of those that had been there recently about all the 'tricks' and 'hidden secrets' to make the most of our trip in September. I've heard the rooms are quite large and opinions vary about their transportation. We'll be taking our own car so that's not much of a concern and we'll be able to head to the Winn Dixie and such as well. I'm tracking the 'parking discussion' but we're quite fine with the fees based upon the rate that we were able to get. Looking forward to our trip.

T-Belle
03-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I love The Shades of Green...I bet you will too!
The rooms are BIG. And every room has either a patio or balcony. The only complaint I have with the room is their in room coffee. So I just bring some from home or walk down to their Starbucks. Remember, there's no tax. Score!
I was a little nervous the 1st time I went without my own car and totally dependent on SOG transportation but it turned out to be a non issue. In fact I love their transportation! Unlike Disney buses the SOG buses are timed. Sure does make it easier waiting for the bus when you know it will pick you up at say the AK at 40 minutes pass the hour instead of waiting and hoping a bus comes soon. If going to MK or EPCOT the bus takes you to the TTC. If going to the water parks, DDD, DHS or AK the bus takes you right there. Also, you can walk to the Poly and catch the monorail there. If you don't feel like walking just ask at baggage (at the front door) for the Shady Shuttle! They'll drive you down to the end of the driveway in a golf cart.
SOG is a huge resort and depending on where your room is you can do a lot of walking. On the past few visits I've requested a room in the new part and close to the elevators. Both times they've been able to honor my request.
Hope this helps some. Enjoy SOG!

wdwfansince75
03-30-2012, 09:22 PM
We have enjoyed SoG multiple times. The rooms are the largest on site. The rooms have two queens, a day bed, a table, and chairs. All rooms also have a patio or balcony. The baths have a large counter, with two sinks...commode and tube are in a seperate room. Rooms are clean, and staff has always been courteous, prompt, and efficient.
Transportation had been an issue on some of our earlier trips...particularly when we had younger grandchildren with us. We usually walk to the Poly for MK...and we usually park hop, ending most days with several hours at MK. The last several trips, we have noted a marked improvement, with newer buses. Although the buses to AK and DHS run only once an hour, we have learned to also be prepared to use the SoG-TTC bus, and catch the Disney TTC-AK and TTC-DHS buses. Since we usually park hop, having this additional option has been a great find.
On one trip, when the buses were really a problem, we did drive to DHS, EPCOT, and AK, but we prefer to just park the cars, and enjoy the available transportation options.
Walking to/fm Poly has important pluses; you can grab Tonga Toast for breakfast at Captain Cooks (which we generally consider one of the best counter services on site), or you can grab a serve yourself Dole Whip for the walk back to the Poly...and we have also purchased cups from the Poly, filling it on the trips to and from the parks.
We also have used both Garden Galley and Mangino's as lower cost options for meals. The breakfast at GG is far less expensive than any of the Disney meals, as is the evening buffets. The quality of the food at GG could stand some improvement, but with up to 16 in our party, the savings is substantial, and allows us to have several group sit downs in a relatively quiet environment.
We also enjoy the grounds themselves. On every trip, we have had wild turkeys, hawks, ducks, herons, egrets, and even deer, within feet of our patio...DW loves to sit on the patio, so we always request ground floor, in the new section.
For the price, the largest rooms on property, clean, efficient service, short walk or bus ride to monorail, and Poly...great deal...oh, and tax free tickets.

pcoleman
03-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Don't forget being a military rec center it has a BX store. Everything in the gift shop is tax free. Many times I have found the same items less expensive or at least w/o tax as in the parks. I also pick up pins for trading very cheap there. If you have time check out the ice cream shop. I like rooms 103-110 they are between both pools and an easy walk to either with patios overlooking MK. Can sit out and watch wishes from your patio. If in the new part I like the very last rooms on first floor over looking the golf course. Very relaxing to sit pout and watch the turkeys and ducks come up to your room. Easy to get to Micky pool and food. Do not believe you can go wrong with any room. Hope you have a wonderful time.:mickey:

disneynarula
04-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Do you get free parking if you have your own car? Can you use EMH?

DH is a DoD civilian and we are trying to decide if we should stay at SoG.

If there is a decent discount we are better off at one of Disney's moderate hotels but you never know.

disneynarula
04-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Nevermind....

Looked at the website and answered my own questions.

No free parking....plus you have to pay $5 to park at SoG. Yes for the EMH.

After paying for parking I think we are better off at one of the WDW resorts. It's a much better deal if you are eligible for one of the lower rate tiers.

wdwfansince75
04-01-2012, 07:37 AM
I should have mentioned in my last post...
Parking costs $5 per night, and you no longer have free parking at the parks. (As of our last two trips).
You can use EMH, although it seems from many on these boards that EMH's have become something to avoid.
As for comparison to Moderates...Rooms are much larger....two queens and a daybed, rather than 2 full beds.

T-Belle
04-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Don't forget being a military rec center it has a BX store. Everything in the gift shop is tax free.

This is a little off topic but as many times that I've stayed at SOG I found out something new and thought I would share.
I was in the store buying water when I noticed the customer in front of me was buying liquor! Behind the clerk is a locked cabinet with booze and cigarettes for sale!

Imalismom
04-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Friday night is Prime Rib night - don't miss it if you are there!!! Its the best price in ALL of WDW and the most hidden treat around.

I stay at SOG whenever my dad (Mr. Toot) goes to WDW as he is retired AF. I love the rooms!

I also recommend walking to the Poly and picking up the monorail.

Melanie
04-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Shades of Green is a great deal regardless of paying the parking fee or not. Biggest rooms on property by far, great ammenities (STARBUCKS, PX, Ticket prices, etc), nice pools, great golf right next door and close proximity to the Magic Kingdom. I love the times we get a room where you can hear the MK Train whistle from our balcony. :cloud9:

Crow
04-02-2012, 12:43 AM
been a few yrs but for the price they are on par w the deluxes for a lot less $. walk to Poly and MK. the buffet was pretty good value.
buses were..ok.
Anyone that can take advantage of staying here I would say do it