PDA

View Full Version : It's a funny story now...

Goofy4TheWorld
03-28-2012, 07:56 PM
So I have a Vasectomy Tuesday morning. I took one Valium 30 minutes before the surgery, had a good experience, didn’t even know the doctor had done any cutting until he announced he was about to start the other side. Sat on a bag of peas while my wife stopped to pick up the Percocet on the way home, then took one as soon as she got in the car with them. Got home, felt good, had no problems going to the bathroom for the first time. Sat in the recliner and tried hard to watch TV only to fall asleep over and over again for a few hours. The phone rings and it’s my wife’s doctor telling her she has Gallstones and they are referring her to a surgeon later this week. Realized after I hung up the phone that I needed to go to the bathroom again. Tugging on my underwear was a little rough, but again no problems going… but that is all I remember. My wife finds me lying on the floor out cold, toilet paper holder ripped off the wall, my eyebrow pouring blood all over my face, and I discover that I have chipped a tooth. She rouses me up enough to stand up at the sink to look at my wound when I begin to return to the floor. I am able to get down without collapsing but then my eyes start rolling back. My wife calls 911 but hangs up when I start talking coherently even though I have to stay flat on my back and I am sweating profusely.

My blood pressure had dropped to 80 over 50 (I usually run 120 over 80) and it stayed that way for about an hour while I lay in the bed. The worse part of me having a Vasectomy is going to turn out to be a chipped tooth! I hate Veneers; all they are good for are chips and cracks. Oh well, glad to still be alive!

Just thought I would share my story, it has been one chaotic week between my Vasectomy, my collapse and resulting injuries, and my wife’s impeding Gallbladder surgery (we assume).

Christine
03-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Yikes! That's a heckuva week!

Good luck to your wife on her surgery. It's a piece of cake!

retiredfigment
03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Wow, you need a trip to Disney!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-28-2012, 09:43 PM
I wish you both a speedy recovery.
Best surgery hubby ever had was his Vasc.

Best surgery I ever had - my gall bladder removal.

Melanie
03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Wow! Scary at the time, I'm sure. Glad you can laugh about it now. Best of luck to your wive and speedy recovery to you both!

BrerGnat
03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Wow! Now you know not to mix Valium and Percocet! ;) DH had the vasec and the meds made him SUPER hyper! He took the same ones as you, but he just did NOT want to sit still. I had to force him to rest all day. He wanted to be up and about. Funny how drugs can affect people so differently.

Oh, and for your wife, hopefully she won't need surgery. Unless she's having repeated painful gallbladder attacks, gallstones in and of themselves are not enough reason to have surgery. I had my gallbladder removed a year ago. I had begun having serious indigestion issues about 6 months prior to that, but just thought it was GERD. Then, I had a heck of a gallbladder attack out of nowhere (ended up going to ER because I almost passed out from the pain). Turns out, I also had a few stones, but in addition, my gallbladder was majorly inflamed and borderline infected. I had to spend almost a month eating mostly a liquid, no fat diet until we got the insurance squared away to approve the surgery and the inflamation went down enough to make it less risky. I was in pain for that whole month. My recovery from surgery had complications, so it wasn't all smooth sailing. Now that it's been removed, I feel a lot better, but boy, the post op was quite a nightmare. If the surgery hadn't been necessary, I wouldn't have done it. My mom had her gallbladder removed due to just having stones, and it really didn't make any difference in the digestive issues she was having, so it was basically a pointless surgery.

Goofy4TheWorld
03-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks to all for the well wishes.

Wow, you need a trip to Disney!

I wonder if I could get my insurance to pay for it?

I wish you both a speedy recovery.
Best surgery hubby ever had was his Vasc.

Best surgery I ever had - my gall bladder removal.

Yep, for me having 3 kids instead of 2 is just too darn expensive to go to Disney. ;)

As for my wife, she has had several attacks recently and has decided to put all her hopes for a return to good health on the removal of her Gallbladder. I just hope it's what is actually causing her problems.

Scar
03-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Your story could be a good ad for "Just Say NO!"

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Wow, that was a heck of an experience. I'm sorry you had all those additional issues. I'm wishing you and your wife a speedy recovery from all this.

garymacd
04-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Well. I'm glad you had a good experience with it...