PDA

View Full Version : 10 year old eating off childs menu

CarolS
03-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Let me preface this first by saying I am in no way trying to cheat the system or break any rules, I have full intentions on disclosing that my daughter is 10. That being said....

Does anyone know if there is a problem asking if it's ok for my 10 year old to order off the childs menu? I can't see them forcing you, but I also can see them charging a little more. We have serveral reservations for sit down meals for lunches and I just can't see my daughter who will have just turned 10 when we go eating such large meals. I wish they would go back to the old way of child meals up to 10 :(

Thank you!

buzznwoodysmom
03-27-2012, 01:39 PM
As long as you are paying out of pocket and not on a dining plan you should be able to order what you want. However, at buffets and "family style" meals you will have to pay adult prices for her.

My boys have always been light eaters, and I dreaded the day they turned 10 because I couldn't imagine paying adult prices for them in WDW. However, now that they are both 10 I no longer think it's too young to start charging adult prices. My 10 year old will still sometimes order off the kids meun when eating out, and if he isn't really hungry he'll still get a happy meal at a fast food place, but for the most part my kids (10 and 12) are both ordering off adult menus and getting regular meals more and more. I think 10 is a fair cut off age. Plus my kids are picky about some foods, but can also be adventurous eaters, so sometimes they really want something they see on the adult menu. It's sticker shock for sure, but I do think it's a fair age.

tinksmom02
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm nervous about this, as well. My daughter will just have turned 10 when we go in August, and that's the primary reason I didn't get the dining plan (it's not "free" during our time). She'll be charged as an adult at 'Ohana, but for the other ressies I've made I'm hoping she can order off the kids menu if there's nothing on the adult menu to interest her. Or, heck, maybe even split something with me (they aren't buffets).

I see no harm in asking, the worst the CMs can say is no.

Kenny1113
03-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I could be wrong, but I remember the kids menus saying under 12. If I am wrong, my DS10 ordered off of kids menu no question asked at any of the TS we dined, he is not small for his age either. As previously mentioned buffet will be charged the adult rate.

natstroop
03-27-2012, 02:55 PM
My DD was 12 last time we went and she ordered off the kids menu almost every time. They never questioned her age even once.

sweetsavannah
03-27-2012, 03:37 PM
My DD is 10 for this trip and I begrudgingly bought the dining plan...but I know she isn't going to eat all of that food! I just really, really,really like to have everything paid for up front. That said, there are definitely more choices. Plus, I don't have to deal with the CM's looking at us funny when I say she is under 10 (cuz when she was, she looked 12 easily and now looks about 13/14). They always brought adult menus for her at TS meals. Hopefully she can find something she likes without wasting too much of it...but if I don't get the DDP in the future, it's nice to know she may be able to order from the kids menu.

Strmchsr
03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
With OOP anyone can order off the kid's menu. It's not a big deal. For us, my son turning 10 was the time we stopped using the DDP, "free" or not, because it wasn't worth the money. Ordering OOP we can share meals (except at buffets) and order off of what we want. If you don't think your child will eat the food, don't get the DDP then you can order what you want.

Mickey'sGirl
03-27-2012, 06:26 PM
My Mom almost always ordered off the kid's menu. There was never an issue.

I understand that if you are on the Dining plan, and your Adult priced child wants to order off the kid's menu, the restaurants will often prepare a bigger version.

2MuchWDFun
03-29-2012, 07:13 PM
My DD is 10 for this trip and I begrudgingly bought the dining plan...but I know she isn't going to eat all of that food! I just really, really,really like to have everything paid for up front. That said, there are definitely more choices. Plus, I don't have to deal with the CM's looking at us funny when I say she is under 10 (cuz when she was, she looked 12 easily and now looks about 13/14). They always brought adult menus for her at TS meals. Hopefully she can find something she likes without wasting too much of it...but if I don't get the DDP in the future, it's nice to know she may be able to order from the kids menu.

Since you are on the dining plan you may be able to save your daughter's adult credits to use towards a signature meal.
At a few dinners where she doesn't want a full meal you can pay OOP for her and order an appetizer or child's meal off the menu, then use your and your spouses dining credits for your meal. After a few meals you'll have extra adult credits that can be used for a nice signature dining experience or dinner show for all of you.

Patricia
03-29-2012, 08:14 PM
I still eat the kid meals in some of the restaurants. As long as there are decent choices, I prefer the smaller portions and its never been an issue.

Fastpasssteve
03-30-2012, 03:00 AM
But to be clear, if you are on the DDP, even if she orders from the Kit's menu, an Adult Meal Credit will be subtracted from your family's plan.

She will still be charged as an adult for the duration of your stay.

CarolS
04-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Thank you to all that answered. You've cleared it up for me!

We never purchase DDP because I've run the numbers what seems like hundreds of times and it doesn't make financial sense to me.

I honestly did not realize :blush: that if we ate at a TS that anyone can order anything they want. I had visions of the waiter/waitress scolding me if she ordered a kids meal. My daughter is adventures in eating for sure but there are time she just wants something small.

DVC2004
04-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Kids older than 9 can order a child's meal. Mine do all the time and they are older. If you are paying out of pocket it's a non issue, unless it's a buffet or all you care to eat set up. If that is the case, anyone over age 9 is charged the adult's price. What they eat and how much is up to them. For the DDP, you do have to use adult credits for the child meal if the child is over 9. However, they can still order the kid's meal off the kids menu. Hope this helps. I know this to be true because my younger on who is now 13 eats like a bird and ostly ordered the kids meals between ages of 10-12. It was never an issue, but the above applies. if you are paying for DDP over age 10 is the adult price. If it's free dining, the age will still be noted as adult and again, they still use the adult credits for the kids meal.