PDA

View Full Version : Off Site VS On Disney grounds

TIGGER17179
03-27-2012, 12:55 PM
One of my aunts is giving us a free week ( one of her time shares ) as a wedding present and suggested we use it on our honeymoon to Disney. The hotel they have in Orlando is right outside the gates of Disney and looks really nice. This would be great however my soon to be Husband hasn't been to Disney and stayed on the grounds. He hasn't been to Disney in 30 years! So this is like his first time and who knows when we will get back. I personally prefer to stay on the grounds for all the perks and it's like the magic doesn't end once you leave the parks. Am I crazy not to take her up on this offer? She said I could use it somewhere else but just wondering if I'm nuts for not using it now. I wanted to stay at the Disney Beach club so it's going to run about 4000.00 with the dining plan but it's looking like the Coronado Springs at 2600.00 will be the place we stay. Can't justify all that extra money when you are not going to be in the room that long anyway. Any thoughts? ( be kind please :))lol

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-27-2012, 01:15 PM
I personally stay on property. I've done both, but prefer the perks and convenience of staying on property. If you can afford to stay on property, I don't see why not.

The time share can be used later for another vacation somewhere else.

If I didn't know better, I'd ask if you were my DIL because she'll be in the same situation....her aunt has offered a week with her time share at Disney but my son wants to save up and stay on site.

TIGGER17179
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks that makes me feel better. I think I'll use it at the beach for a week.

Ms. Mode
03-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Well, we love staying on property too...BUT...my DD is getting married mid-May and with money tight from the wedding the WDW Honeymoon wasn't happening. Then an aunt and uncle of my future DS offered up a timeshare in Kissimmee...WOW! It will also be DS first time EVER to WDW and he's not to sure about the whole thing but he knows that DD loves it there...

I would say this; if it means you don't get to go any other way take the timeshare and say "Thanks". However, if you have the extra money to blow then go for it...you only get married once...

DonaldsBFF
03-27-2012, 03:03 PM
No question, on property is better. Free of distractions from the "outside world." Especially if you are not going to be driving your own car you can take advantage of Disney transportation. Also EMH, and Magical express if you are flying. I always tell my wife that I would not do Disney any other way than on property. It is so stress free and nothing to worry about by doing it that way. Our honeymoon trip was the best vacation we ever had.

CajunDisneyDad
03-27-2012, 03:15 PM
I agree with the posters :) You loose that Disney magic when you leave the resort area. I like the convience of just being able to jump on a bus (abit sometimes Disney transportation is slightly...unreliable...right :P ) and all that. Also watch for specials during the time you go. Unless you go during June-Aug...most of the time Disney is running some type of promotion, be it reduced room or free dining. I hope you guys have a magical time and congrats on the wedding and may you have many wonderful years together :):congrats:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-27-2012, 04:09 PM
As the above poster said - if you aren't going June-Aug., the week of Christmas, Thanksgiving or Easter.....there are deals to be found.

And if you aren't registered with the official WDW website -do so....and see if you get a PIN code. Even price out and "save" but don't book a vacation there...that sometimes generates PIN codes....But book through Magical Journeys -they rock AND are Intercot sponsors!

tjstrike
03-27-2012, 05:51 PM
On site fer sure !! Nothing like emersing yourself completely in Disney on your honeymoon !! :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
03-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Okay, I'll be the dissenting vote. It's hard to say for sure without knowing exactly which hotel you are considering. I will say thought that I recently helped a friend plan a Disney honeymoon and while considering all the hotel options they much preferred the adult feel of some of the offsite resorts.

I recommended Hilton Bonnet Creek after hearing a positive review on the Icot podcast and they loved it! It was very luxurious, modern, and just gorgeous. For them it wasn't really about the money, but more the feel of the resort. I'm sure the money was a nice perk though.

I wouldn't immediately refuse a resort just because it's not Disney. I love Disney resorts and we do always stay onsite, but I can see wanting something a bit more upscale for a special occasion like a honeymoon. I'll be completely honest and say that even though the Grand Floridian is supposed to be the best Disney has it's not my style at all.

Disneyfun
03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
I would agree with Disney Doll on this matter. While I, of all people, know and agree to the importance of having a nice/memorable hotel room on your honeymoon (mine had the memorable part down, that is for sure), I can't not think of the social/familial ramifications of not accepting the gift of the time share resort. Of course, I don't know all of the details, but if the aunt is giving up their family's annual vacation to make this offer, I think it might be very bad form.

Sometime, you do have to introduce your 'crazy' slowly to the people that we love - you got to ease them into it or they can go into shock and reject what you are passionate about - I have done that very slowly with my DW and my extreme love of WDW and Star Wars. Having a 'normal' place to go at the end of the day may act as a grounding point for him to be able to process everything and start loving it as much as you do.

In addition to that, imagine what you could do with $2600 in the parks - Victoria & Albert's, a behind the scenes tour in an area that would interest him, a romantic fireworks cruise, buying what ever souvenirs that you want, 600 Dole Whips....the list is almost endless! I would rather have the $2600 to spend on what you are going to be doing, not where you will be unconscious. ;)

NJGIRL
03-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I would take the offer and save the money. We always spend part of our Disney vacation in a timeshare and we don't miss being on Disney property at all. Many timeshares are just as nice as the Disney hotels and many that we have stayed in are closer to the Disney gates than the Disney hotels. If you let me know which one she is offering I can tell you if we stayed there before.

BTW we have no additional stress staying off property. The roads around Disney are very well marked and having a car IMO is easier and more comfortable than waiting for the Disney buses.