PDA

View Full Version : August ?

Kathy Jetson
03-27-2012, 01:20 AM
I have reservations for 6/2-6/10 for 8 nights at Pop. I think I will have to change these. I was looking at 8/9-8/18 for 9 nights at Pop. I have a discount for June. Paying rack rate for the August dates comes out to about $450 less for the room. I have never been in August. Will it still be summer crowds for my dates or will it have cleared out a lot? I was in Orlando the 1st week in June last year. Will the heat for my dates be that much worse? Any help you can give me would be appreciated:mickey:

micky95
03-27-2012, 06:39 AM
my dw & i were down a few years ago in august .still crowded & hot.it was still manageable .just slip into a shop or show to cool down and drink plenty of water.my biggest complaint was we were with 7 other people (5 adults? 2 children)spent most of the time standing around deciding what to do and never doing anything.:mickey:

wdwvacationeer
03-27-2012, 07:06 AM
We have been going in August for several years-college breaks do not coincide with public school breaks-so, besides Christmas, this is an ideal time for us to vacation. It is still busy and pretty hot but we just work around it. We usually fly out on the second Tuesday of August and come home the following week- and luckily (except for one tropical storm blowing in on the last day of vacation), have had really nice weather- hot with lots of sunshine and an occassional passing thunderstorm-typical for summer. Since many school districts do not resume classes until closer to Labor Day, the crowds are still pretty substantial but not ridiculous. For us, it is a nice way to end the summer before we have to get back into our usual routine when school starts.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Early August is still quite crowded, and VERY hot and humid. Crowds don't start to really drop off until the last couple of weeks, as schools start to go back.

We've been twice mid-late August and it was fine. It was crazy-hot, but there are lots of spots to get cool (we always alternated outside activities with air-conditioned ones, walked through stores, etc), so it was fine. In fact, we're thinking about an August 2013 trip.

Kathy Jetson
03-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Thank you for the replys everyone! I think I could stand being hot if there were no crowds. Ugh I can't decide.

gaffz70
03-28-2012, 06:46 AM
We always go mid-end of August because it works best for our lives - we don't have to take kids or hubby out of school. Sounds like both times are hot and crowded, so I would pick whichever is more convenient for your life. Either way you will have a magical time !!!

rjmdds
03-28-2012, 09:32 AM
We are struggling with this same idea interns of going at the end of August...but in 2013. We have never been in the summer because until now it hasn't been a problem taking the kids out of school. The end of August from a planning standpoint is ideal. The only issue that I am having is the heat. That is the only thing that worried me. But like a previous poster said, it may be a good trade off for lower crowds during that last week of August. Decision, decisions.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Crowd levels will be high, higher than your original dates but not near the levels of July 4, Easter, or Christmas and the heat and humidity levels will be a bit worse also. Average highs go up a few degrees in August, but the humidity level goes up 3% and that makes the big difference.

spoiledraf
03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Were were there last year and as mentioned it was hot, not overly crowded to my surprise, but we had rain every day for some extended periods. But we tromped right through it.

Although there are never any gaurantees, I think you can count on some type of discount as the months roll on. We ended up getting a room discount about 45 days out that saved us some money. Just keep an eye of things and you will likely get some kind of deal.

sherriepaul
03-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Went in late august through beginning of september. I didn't think the crowds were bad at all. If you are worried about the heat, I would suggest getting a camelbak. My DH had one from the navy and we used it, and it completely saved us. Kept water cool for us till mid afternoon, the kids could get water whenever they wanted, in line, walking to the next attraction, etc. We didn't know if it would work, and we ecstatic with how well it fit with our plans!

NJGIRL
03-29-2012, 11:33 AM
I have never been in June but have been the last two weeks in May & the last two weeks in August and it was alot hotter in August. I will probably never go in August again because it was too uncomfortable for me.

Kathy Jetson
03-29-2012, 10:14 PM
I think I have talked myself out of August unless I can't work anything else out. I wish I could just keep my June dates but it doesn't look like its meant to be:( I might try for Thanksgiving week at least I won't be hot:fan:

j2k
03-29-2012, 11:29 PM
We're going in August and I know it will be hot. I'm not expecting it to be unbearable. We're planning to get to parks at opening and visit a mixture of outdoor and indoor attractions to get a chance to cool off. We also plan to take a break back at the resort mid-day to avoid the biggest heat. I know it's not the ideal time but it's what works for our family.

Good luck picking the best time for your family. I think August can be manageable if you plan for it.

datacot
04-01-2012, 04:10 AM
we are coming over august 17th from the uk, to coincide with kids school hols so not got much choice, did come over years ago pre kids in late aug and the parks were not too crowded but the heat humidity and storms were a big feature, still loved it all tho,

mommy2maddi
04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
DH & I went in August of 2010. It was extremely hot and fairly crowded but if you go with a plan...ie what rides you HAVE to ride so you can get FP's you'll be fine. It was my first trip so I have no clue what uncrowded times are like. One good thing about crowded times is the park hours are much longer. Have fun! :mickey: