PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Aloha and Garden Grill - similar meal..?

shortcake311
03-24-2012, 12:14 AM
My husband and I visited Disney in October 2008 to celebrate our anniversary. We are returning this October for the same reason. Last time we went to the Spirit of Aloha and Garden Grill for two of our TS choices. We both really enjoyed them and have planned them again for this trip. However, when I was going over the list of places and I mentioned GG my husband had said he wanted to maybe not do that and give something else a try.

I was now thinking if we should maybe do that with both meals. We are going to 'Ohanas for breakfast and had originally planned both breakfast and dinner there, because we originally booked a DDP, but recently dropped it to just a DP. I was thinking maybe if we gave up the Luau and did 'Ohana for dinner also it would substitute the food change.

However, if I were to give the Garden Grill up, what would be a nice alternative? I don't just like the food, but atmosphere and characters (interactions and in general). Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind another family style choice.

Thanks in advance!! :D

DizneyRox
03-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Garden Grill is a nice meal, very tasty, although extremely pricey. I'd rather eat my neighbors garbage than eat at the luau again.

There no comparison between the two other than they both have people bringing stuff to your table and you get a bill shortly before you leave. I wouldn't even say they both serve food... Only one does...

HDD is an excellent alternative for a dinner show. But not conducive to an anniversary dinner really. We go every trip.

Family style? That's tough, GG is a very good, fresh meal. I like Biergarten at Epcot for a buffet, but again, it's not "romantic". Not that GG is, but at least you're by yourself at the table.

Narcoossees is fantastic! You might want to give that a shot instead of the luau or HDD. The almond encrusted cheesecake dessert is one of the best I've had. I make it sometimes at home and i have it really close. Never a complaint!

LandFan
03-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Hehe - I share DisneyRox's views on the Luau! Garden Grill is a nice meal.

Personally I would give up the luau and do two new things or keep Garden Grill and do one other new thing.

For character interaction and atmosphere (not too crazy) and good food, I really think GG is the best. I would have said Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner is almost comparable but they took the characters out a couple of years ago :ack: and now it is not worth it as the food is ok but not great.

Tusker House isn't bad for lunch if you want Donald and the crew. unfortunately they don't do character dinners...

Chef Mickey's is fun to try once (a bit noisier) but is not really romantic material - but you do get to watch the monorail zip by overhead.

So I guess, having said all of that, that O'hana's breakfast with Lilo & Stitch would maybe be the best replacement for GG...

As for a romantic dinner - I would go with JIKO! (if you wanted to use 2TS credits) Great food and VERY pretty savannah sunset colors that change as the evening wears on.

If you only want to use one credit, BOMA offers a fun buffet of things to choose from - it is a little noisy but fun and adventurous - after dinner you can roam around the resort and it is very peacful with all of the animals on the savannahs... You can also head up to the lounge above BOMA enjoy a bevarage - it is beautiful.

Tutto Italia is also nice/romantic and they make some of their own pasta - they have surprisingly good food!

Good luck choosing!