PDA

View Full Version : Ever shown up an hour early for your ADR?

Lizzy
03-22-2012, 10:52 AM
I made an ADR for Ohana for our trip in May. However, the only time available was 9:30 pm. I have small kids and have been checking back constantly to see if I can get in around 8:30. So I figure if I can't change the reservation by the time we go, we will just try to show up around 8:30 (I'm really hoping DD who will be 18 months when we go will make it)

I figure worse comes to worse we have to wait an hour anyway, but maybe since I do have an ADR they might try a little harder to get us in early? Has this ever worked for anyone else?

DVC2004
03-22-2012, 11:04 AM
I haven't shown up an hour early. I think maybe once 30 minutes but we staill had to wait.

With Ohana be careful...it's always booked solid. It might be worse to show up that early and have your little ones wait for an hour then still get seated at 9:30 (or later).

It also depends on when fireworks are. If they are at 9 or 10, no you will probably not be seated earlier. People will be hanging around for that for sure.

Good luck! I know the last few years we can only get in at 9:30 or later. It's really frustrating because we love it so much (haven been going there each trip since 2001) but hate eating so late with the kids. Mine are older now but still, not an ideal dinner time. :(

whitney37354
03-22-2012, 11:17 AM
We always left the resort room one hour before our ADR. Depending on where the ADR was, we would get there fairly early. We were immediately seated at CM, CRT, GG, H&V & 1900 PF breakfast. Just a few minutes wait at CP, O'hana breakfast, TH, MM & Akershus. A long wait at Tony's & 1900 PF dinner---DD was 5 at the time & used those two times to take a long nap!

buzznwoodysmom
03-22-2012, 11:54 AM
We have been seated early at lots of locations, but it was more like 15-20 minutes early, and once or twice it was 30 minutes early. I've never tried to be seated an hour early. I'd say there's a chance you'll be seated early at some locations, but Ohana's is highly unlikely. It's usually booked solid months out. Not saying it's impossible, but in my opinion not very likely. Good luck!

SBETigg
03-22-2012, 12:43 PM
We have shown up early before at other places, only to be told that we couldn't sign in until 20 minutes prior to our ADR. If they are booked, and 'Ohana usually is, they will honor the ADR, meaning it doesn't matter how early you show up, you will not be allowed to check in (be put on the list to be seated) until the recommended 15-20 minute prior to ADR time. So, it's a risk. You could end up just waiting around for a long time.

Basket Mommy
03-22-2012, 02:20 PM
We accidentally showed up an hour before our ADR at 50s Prime Time in January. We were seated within 10 minutes with no problems. I didn't even realize we were early until I checked the schedule (that I'd left in the room) later that night. Usually we're very good about remembering our times, but I had switched plans with another day during our stay and had to change the ADRs to match and just got the times confused. The CM never even mentioned that we were early.

Fangorn
03-22-2012, 02:29 PM
On our last trip in January, we had ADR at 'Ohana for a Sunday night. DS had to work and we kept looking online to change it - no luck. Finally, on Saturday we called (even though nothing showed available online) and we were able to change it to Monday. It could have been that someone had just cancelled, but I don't think so as they gave us a choice of several times. It felt more like the online system may not be seeing all the available inventory.

Call the dining number (407 WDW-DINE) and see if they can help you. Keep calling, even on the day of.

Good luck.

Steve

DANAM
03-22-2012, 02:30 PM
We showed up a half an hour early at 'Ohana in July and were seated immediately. But I showed up an hour early to Cape May and waited one hour and 45 minutes for my table. So you never know. Worse case its such a nice hotel I'm sure you can find something to do and the electrical water parade normally passes around 9. You can go out to the beach and watch it from there. I highly recommend it for little kids.

Lizzy
03-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Good idea DANAM! Thanks!

I know I have shown up 30 min early before, but I thought that i may be pushing it with the hour thing, but I think it may be worth the shot.

Lizzy
05-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Shameful bump on my own thread since my trip is two days away and I want to see if anyone else has had any luck

:blush::blush::blush::blush:

tinksmom02
05-17-2012, 12:02 PM
I know that we have gone to ADRs earlier (I can't remember which restaurants) and asked politely if we could be seated earlier. Sometimes (a lot of times, but I'm not referring to 'Ohana here, I think maybe les Chefs de France let us in) we were seated earlier; at other times we were told that we couldn't even check in until 20 minutes before our scheduled ADR. So, I really think it has more to do with the particular CM you're speaking with, and the restaurant you're at, than an overall guideline.

It all depends on your kids, of course, and you know them best, but I personally think it's kind of a risk. Course, I think it's risky to have dinner that late, period :blush: so who am I to say? But do let us know when you get back how this worked out for you!!

Lizzy
05-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Well, thankfully due to my SO and mine crazy schedules, we usually don't end up eating dinner until 8-830 on the weekends anyway, and my kids have been staying up pretty late lately (secretly training them for dinner at Ohana)

I still think I might try to see if they will let me check in 8:45-9ish at least. :secret:

Disney Doll
05-17-2012, 02:36 PM
We arrived about 30 minutes early for Ohana last week because we weren't sure how long it would take us to get there. They wouldn't even check us in until it was 20 minutes or less to our reservation time.

darthmacho
05-17-2012, 04:38 PM
In 2010, we were visiting the Wilderness Lodge, and I went over to Whispering Canyon to just check up on or reservation time. I think we were about 2 hours early. They offered to seat us right then, and we actually declined, but came back about 20 minutes later and they took us. I'm thinking they simply had openings.

I'm not sure this would work with the hugely popular Ohana. It never hurts to try, and you can kill time exploring the resort if they say no.

Imalismom
05-17-2012, 07:58 PM
I did just 2 weeks ago - really wanted Le Cellier at 5pm, but all they had was 6:10pm, so I took it.

Just happened to be walking by Le Cellier at 5pm, and stopped and asked if there was anyway my party of 2 could be seated now, and not wait until 6:10 - she called down to the restaurant , and lo and behold in 5 minutes I was sitting at my table, enjoying a glass of tea, and looking over a menu.

As Mr. Toot is famous for saying "If you don't ask, you can't be told no" and sometimes you are even told yes :mickey:

elmjimmlm
05-18-2012, 12:09 PM
We have done this several times and have always been seated early...It never hurts to ask:mickey:

Mogie
05-18-2012, 01:24 PM
I have a few times. And i think they often do have tables available even though they say they are full. I believe this is because people make reservations and don't show. They cancel often. Or, it could be because Disney leaves just a couple tables open just in case? Maybe people eat quicker than others. Not sure, but i think it's probably no different than any other popular restaurant. If they dont have a table ready, we head over to the bar. The bartenders are terrific all over, and you can even eat dinner there if you like.