PDA

View Full Version : January vs. February vs April 2013

Disney1977
03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi,

Next year will be our first time on a cruise. Because I have an 8th grader I want travel during school vacations. Our choices for travel dates are as follows:

Martin Luther King weekend 1-17-2013

Presidents Week 2-21-2013 or

April vacation 4-14-2013

My question is, should I avoid any of these dates? Is one of these months better than another for cruising ?

Thank you for your help and knowledge.

Liz

cajunprincess
03-20-2012, 05:32 PM
We cruised in Jan of 2011. It was COLD. We didn't even allow our kids to play in the water at Castaway. We did, however, buy them sand toys at the gift shop and let them play in the sand which they really enjoyed! I hope this helps!

ElenitaB
03-20-2012, 09:31 PM
I would stay away from the President's Week cruise also because of the weather. Our second cruise was exactly that week, and sure enough, there was a blizzard the day we were to fly south (luckily I had planned for some days at WDW before our cruise), and we missed an entire day and a half thanks to the travel delay. There was also a snow storm the Sunday we were flying back north, but alas, not enough to keep our plane grounded and we had to go back to work/school as planned.

The moral of the story: if you plan on cruising in January/February, get travel insurance and plan on getting to Orlando a day earlier than your cruise.

MarkC
03-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I can't give you help on your specific weeks, but we did just cruise the first week of February. We had a blizzard hit the day before the cruise, but all airlines issued a travel waiver and we were able to leave a day early and avoid the storm. So if you have that flexibility it will still work.

As for the cruise itself, we did not have many kids as it was not during a school break. However, the weather was about perfect except for rain in Key West, which has dropped off as a port anyway. It was upper 70's and low 80's, so I'm guessing even if its cool in Florida in mid-February, it will be warm in the Caribbean. I would go in February.

Disney1977
03-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Thank you for your replies.

I had not though about a blizzard. I will be sure to buy trip insurance and arrive a day early.

Now I think we are leaning toward February rather than January. In Massachusetts we get a whole week off in February and in Jauary we just have a 4 day weekend for MLK.

Thanks again for your advice.

Liz