PDA

View Full Version : Best Lightweight Stroller?

sonamae80
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
I am currently in search of the best lightweight stroller for my DS who, at the time of our travel to WDW, will be a month shy of turning 2 (so 23 months old). He is skinny (in the 25th percentile for his weight) and tall (in the >97th percentile for his height). Granted, that could change before our trip, but it's not likely. :D

What is the best umbrella/lightweight stroller that will allow him to be comfortable? I would like for there to be a sunshade, undercarriage basket, and it needs to be easily folded for bus travel.

Any suggestions would be great! :mickey:

minnie-mouse
03-20-2012, 11:17 AM
I love the Graco lighweight strollers. They are not umbrella strollers, but regular ones. They are nice and light to push and are really comfortable for the little ones, they can lay back and nap and have protective shade. Also, they fold with one touch to the handler when needed and have great storage underneath for a diaper bag and all your Disney souveniors! :mickey:

tjstrike
03-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Just rent one at the parks for the entire stay, that way you don't have to worry about getting it on and off the bus.

sonamae80
03-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Just rent one at the parks for the entire stay, that way you don't have to worry about getting it on and off the bus.

Yeah, we do this for my 5 year old DD. But I was needing something that reclined for my DS, in case he falls asleep in the park.

We love the stroller rental though! Thanks for the suggestion!

AmandaChan
03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
I dono if it's the 100% best stroller ever of all time but I fretted about what stroller I was going to take on our trip when we took our then 13.5 month old (he's 23 months now, 25% percentile as well).... but I ended up getting the Graco literider, I think... I can't remember what it's called but I got it at Target, and it was the only place I saw it. It folded up easily and I paid $59 for it I think. It does recline although not 100% (he slept in it fine).. it has a shade, drink tray, and best of all... a huge basket to shove things under (almost too big, always had to pick up a ton of stuff out of it before we got on the bus).. The only thing I didn't like is it didn't have a five point harness. We still use it, but the straps do not leave a whole of room for readjusting I think. It did great for us for being so cheap. And we took it on and off the busses fine. I was not about to use some umbrella stroller....... forget that! and I didn't want to take our chicco stroller (it's a tank). also being that young, I would make sure you get a stroller that they can sleep in... that was probably my #1 concern besides it not being too big to carry on and off the bus. also it has a tray for kid which is really important b/c he could frequently snack and what not.

sara114
03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Maclaren Stroller - I have one of these and it was the best investment I have made. Yes, it is around $100, but used it until the child was 7 years old, and it is still going strong. I liked the higher handles and ease of folding. No it doesn't recline, but child didn't have trouble sleeping in it. I just tilted it back and ate ice cream while he slept. It was a nice break for both of us ! I bought the one that held up to 70 lb.

diz_girl
03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I'd also recommend the Maclaren. We've had ours for over four years, when DS4 was a baby. It will definitely survive until DS1 is too old for strollers. It's been to WDW twice (so far) and will go back at least another two times.

Mine cost about $120. I got it a Babies 'r Us, and it was priced at $150, but I had a 20% off coupon to bring the price down. It's the Triumph, which has the sunshade and basket (not huge), and it reclines. It doesn't recline flat, but enough for a comfortable nap. It also came with a rain hood. I liked that the handles were higher than most, so no hunching down while pushing it or kicking the wheels when you walk. There is also a built-in strap, so you can sling it over your shoulder. I bought the organizer that goes on the back, so there's room for keys, beverages and other items.

skibunny75
03-20-2012, 02:16 PM
I would recommend the Chicco Capri stroller. We purchased one for our DS when he was 1 1/2 he is now 6 and the stroller is still going. We are now using it for our DS 6 months. It was around $75 and only weighs about 11 pounds and has a carry strap and comes in a multitude of colors (we purchased Tangerine and found it easier to find among the sea of black). The handles are higher then a normal unbrella stroller. My husband who is 6' 4" is comfortable with the height.

Good luck in your decision.

Disney Doll
03-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Chicco Lightway. I received a Chicco as a gift when my first son was born and we've been using it non-stop for the past 4 years. It's been on several Disney trips and has held up great. It's an umbrella so it's very lightweight and compact for travel, but it also has a lot of the bells and whistles you don't normally find on a cheap umbrella.

1. The handles are tall and padded so it's comfortable for me and my husband to push.

2. Honestly folds with one hand

3. Parent cup holder

4. Fully-reclining backrest with 5 positions

5. Good up to 40lbs

6. 5 point harness (loved this when my kids were little guys).

On a side note, I always add a shade extender for Disney and aside from the UV protection it's great to block out light for naps.

KathyMO
03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
I'd also recommend the Maclaren. We've had ours for over four years, when DS4 was a baby. It will definitely survive until DS1 is too old for strollers. It's been to WDW twice (so far) and will go back at least another two times.

Mine cost about $120. I got it a Babies 'r Us, and it was priced at $150, but I had a 20% off coupon to bring the price down. It's the Triumph, which has the sunshade and basket (not huge), and it reclines. It doesn't recline flat, but enough for a comfortable nap. It also came with a rain hood. I liked that the handles were higher than most, so no hunching down while pushing it or kicking the wheels when you walk. There is also a built-in strap, so you can sling it over your shoulder. I bought the organizer that goes on the back, so there's room for keys, beverages and other items.

:ditto: We used this same type stroller when we took our Granddaughter to Disney World. Great stroller!

g8rgirl29
03-21-2012, 12:18 AM
The Maclaren Triumph. This is the best lightweight stroller. It has a carry strap,one hand fold up, basket underneath, canopy and can be adjusted so the child can lay back quite a bit, not flat but enough for a nap without a sore neck. It has higher handles so it doesn't kill your back leaning over. Has 5 point harness straps for safety. From the research I did, it had the highest weight capacity for an umbrella stroller, I believe 70 lbs. We did need a bag to hang on the back to help carry some items and use carbiners on it to carry our water bottles and mugs.

BrerGnat
03-21-2012, 10:35 AM
The Maclaren Triumph. This is the best lightweight stroller. It has a carry strap,one hand fold up, basket underneath, canopy and can be adjusted so the child can lay back quite a bit, not flat but enough for a nap without a sore neck. It has higher handles so it doesn't kill your back leaning over. Has 5 point harness straps for safety. From the research I did, it had the highest weight capacity for an umbrella stroller, I believe 70 lbs. We did need a bag to hang on the back to help carry some items and use carbiners on it to carry our water bottles and mugs.

Agree 100% with this. We had a Maclaren Triumph and a Maclaren Quest Sport. The Triumph wins for overall lightness, convenience, and ease of use. The included raincovers cannot be understated, especially for a WDW trip. They are amazing! Will keep your stroller and child bone dry in the worst downpours, and everyone will be jealous of you. ;)

Best money we ever spent on baby gear was for the two Maclaren strollers we bought.

tinkerbell1981
03-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Baby trend makes a really nice one the seat reclines all the way back, they sell it at Target and babies r us. My daughter was 2 1/2 when we used it with her at Disney she is off the charts in height and weight and it worked great for her, it also folds up flat and has a kid tray and adult tray. Here is the link. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3994452&CAWELAID=534570669

Tank3434
03-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Just went and bought a Maclaren Triumph today based on all your reviews. Been tryig to find a nice travel stroller, now I cant wait to try it out!

CarolS
03-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Another vote for the Maclaren. It's extremely lightweight and easy to fold. I think the one I have only weighs 6 lbs. It feels like nothing to lug around.

I have an older model that is rated up to 80 lbs. For your average child that's about 10 years old! Yes they are expensive but when you think about the typical stroller, you can probably get 4 years out of it. We've used our Mclaren when the kids were 5-6 years old. My kids have always been extremely comfortable in it.

Just one word of caution. If you happen to decide to buy or borrow a use one, there was a recall on one of the models some years ago. Just make sure to check it and call the manufacturer for the added part you need.

j2k
06-07-2012, 01:27 AM
I'm not sure if you're still looking for opinions but I recently bought The First Years Ignite stroller for our upcoming trip. It is a Euro styled umbrella stroller with a basket underneath and it reclines as well. The stroller has larger wheels for a better ride, wheel locks, a canopy, taller handles, and weighs around 14 lbs. It also holds up to 50lbs. I demo'ed one in store but wanted all black so I ordered from Amazon for around $45. Overall, I am pleased with it. We'll see how it works out on our trip.

faberj
06-07-2012, 10:46 PM
I just got the new city mini for our DS who will be 2 1/2 when we go this November. He is tall (37 inches) and almost 30 lbs (90 percentile for height and 75 for weight). I wanted something light but comfortable for him. I took him to the store with me to make sure he led it and had room to grow.

DizNee143
06-08-2012, 09:58 AM
We just went to Disney last month and specially bought Babies R' Us Deluxe Lightweight Stroller for the trip..my daughter is 2 1/2 tall and skinny! She's only 24lbs..
It doesn't totally go all the way down but she had no problem passing out quite a few times in the stroller..
We are going back in Sept and will be bringing it again..
We like that it folded up so easily and came with a strap so you could just throw it over your shoulder and go..
It's only 60 bucks also..plus I used a BRU 20% off coupon o it was even cheaper.:mickey: