PDA

View Full Version : Money, money, money, money

GoldenDreams
03-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Hi Everyone,

Some questions about money when cruising:

1) If you order room service, do you tip in cash when they deliver? I know a lot of gratuities are handled at the end of the cruise, but this one seemed like you might want to handle real-time.

2) In the port of Nassau, do the market vendors accept US Dollars, or do you need to exchange $ ahead of time?

3) Can you exchange $ on the ship?

4) Same as #2 for an excursion... can you tip in US $, or should you get some local $?

Thanks very much!

sara114
03-17-2012, 10:56 AM
market vendors TAKE US Currency

room service, I just added when signing ...not cash

Tink1
03-17-2012, 12:17 PM
I brng dollar biils for room service.

We place them in the top drawer of the cabinet nearest the door. That way everyone knows to grab from there when they deliver.

US currency is accepted in the Bahama's and all Caribbean Islands the ship stops at.

Nanc

ElenitaB
03-17-2012, 01:37 PM
I also tip in cash for room service, but add it to the bill when I sign at the Cove Cafe or in the dining rooms.

MarkC
03-17-2012, 05:47 PM
We just got off a 7 day cruise to the western Caribbean last month. Not making this up-- we spent $0 cash. We had prepaid our tips and every where we spent any money took visa. Our shore excursions were added to our account when we paid the balance-- visa as well. So take some money but you won't need a lot. The only money we spent on the trip were toll costs as we rented a car from Orlando to Port Canaveral.

paymerich
03-17-2012, 06:21 PM
We always tip the room service waiters in cash. They normally are not part of the main dining room staff. Therefore they don't get tipped.

Also when my kids take advantage of milk and cookies delivered for bedtime , we
Would have them tip and thank the server . Teach them that being on vacation does not mean to stop being thankful for your blessings.

Ed
03-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Don't forget cash for tipping the porters at the terminal; customary is $1~$2 per bag that they handle.

Coming home, if you use a porter to schlep your bags from Customs to your car, we usually tip $15~$20 depending on how far away we're parked and how long it takes to clear Customs.

GoldenDreams
03-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to answer my questions.

My son realized he better bring some $ for tips and would like to know the appropriate tip for cookies & milk. :mickey:

ElenitaB
04-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Maybe we were wrong, but I'd tip $2 or $3 for cookies and milk. What have others tipped for room service?

Also, did you know that you can get Mickey Bars from room service? :bar:

Tink1
04-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Maybe we were wrong, but I'd tip $2 or $3 for cookies and milk. What have others tipped for room service?

We tip $2-3 if we are only odering a few things. When we ordered balcony snacks for 8 of us, we tipped $10.

Nanc

Jeffybob
04-07-2012, 06:38 PM
On our last cruise, we took $50 in ones and used them to tip for services outside of the on-board dining experiences.

These services included but were not limited to: Aiport Shuttle Drivers, Airport Porters, Transportation Drivers i.e.: Disney Cruise Line and Magicial Express Drivers, Stateroom Food delivery, etc.

A tip to acknowledge and show appreciation for their efforts is never a bad thing.

Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Owner since '98) :mickey:

2011 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2010 - BWV - Valentine's Day
2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV