PDA

View Full Version : What is your best "tip" for each parK?

Alpha Jeanie
03-13-2012, 11:04 PM
What is your best "tip" for each park? Something that you would tell a Disney World "newby" or something that would make someone's trip to that park better or extra special.

My advise for:
All Parks....if you need a stroller, get a "length of stay" stroller pass. You pay for the total number of days on your first day, and then just show your receipt each day you need it. You don't have to stand in the longer "purchasing a stroller rental" line each day. Also if you park hop, just show your receipt at the next park and you get the stroller again.

Animal Kingdom: Ride Kali River Rapids last....you will get wet...I am the one who ALWAYS gets drenched and stays soggy for the rest of the day, while my family gets wet and seems to dry off quickly.

Epcot: Get a passport at the gift shop as you enter the world showcase. Have a CM at the gift shop at each country sign it and stamp it with their country's "stamp". They will also write something to you in that country's language.

Hollywood Studios: Try to find a special spot in a park, ours is Hollywood Studios, and take a family picture each time you go to Disney World in front of the same area. We always take a picture in front of Echo lake with the dinosaur behind us. It's fun to look back through the years and see how much the kids have grown although the surroundings look the same!

Magic Kingdom: Look for a paint brush laying around on Tom Sawyer Island. If you find one , a CM will come up to you and give you a surprise.
:mickey::mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Hollywood Studios-do the Fantasmic Package-a guaranteed seat without standing in a long line is worth it.

Magic Kingdom- Give yourself two days for this park if at all possible.

Epcot-World Showcase usually opens two or three hours after future world. If you can spread this park over two days get to World Showcase when it opens and spend a leisurely afternoon strolling through the countries. It is so nice when you take a relaxing pace.

Animal Kingdom-Eat at Flame Tree BBQ it is the best CS on property.

dizneydeb22
03-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Animal Kingdom- I second the Kali River Rapids last...we were SOAKED and had to go back and change!:swim:

Hollywood Studio- get a carrot cake cookie at the Writer's Stop!:tasty:

EPCOT- try something new in the world showcase! There are so many interesting snacks and meals!:marg:

Magic Kingdom- Take the train around the whole park, at least once. There are so many interesting 'undiscovered' attractions! Not to mention, it is a nice break!:train:

BhamWriter
03-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Epcot: Try the Schoolbread at Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe in Norway. It's only $2.69, has toasted coconut on top, and is filled with a sweet cream. Very good for the price

MK: If you don't care that much for the parades, use that time to ride attractions that are less filled due to the people watching the parades

AK: My son's favorite snack is the Jalapeno Cheese-stuffed Pretzels (I think it started at AK, but has spread to some of the other parks)

DS: I wouldn't think of Hollywood Brown Derby for margaritas, but last time I was there they offered a margarita sampler that was excellent

KatrinaJ91
03-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Epcot: Take an entire day for the WS. Make sure you explore every nook and corner of each country, see all the shows and movies, catch as many of the entertainers as you can, sample the foods and beverages from each country and just slow down and relax. It seems we see something new everytime we go.

Magic Kingdom: Ride the TTA (it will always be PeopleMover to us) when you want a nice, relaxing break

Animal Kingdom: If riding Kali River Rapids, either bring a separate change of clothes (at least undies!) or wear your bathing suit. Nothing worse than walking around with soaking wet underclothes!!

Hollywood Studios: Make sure you do Animation Academy. We have been there many, many times and just did that for the first time this past December and it was so much fun...plus you get a souvenir!

zipadeedoodah
03-15-2012, 12:56 PM
AK: My son's favorite snack is the Jalapeno Cheese-stuffed Pretzels (I think it started at AK, but has spread to some of the other parks)

Oooo, these sound yummy! Where do they sell them at? I don't think I've ever seen these at the world!

Fastpasssteve
03-17-2012, 04:27 AM
I have these few tips that applies to the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, and Hollywood Studios (Sorry, Animal Kingdom):

Get a stroller for each young one, even if they seem strong enough to tough it out. Get the ones at the front gates of the parks. That way you don't have to wrestle them on and off the buses. Ugg!

Beat the heat in the afternoon and put the little ones down for a NAP. That way, you will be able to return to the parks in the evening. Some of the greatest spectacles are 'Wishes,' the nightly fireworks over the castle in MK, 'Illuminations' in EPCOT, and 'Fantasmic' in Hollywood Studios. You paid a lot of money for those park tickets...get your money's worth.

After the fireworks, STAY PUT. Let the masses stream out of the park. When the way clears, go stroll around the park and look at the lights. All these parks look and feel so different...glamorous even...after dark with all their special lighting.

If you have obtained a stroller for each child, they can fall asleep whenever they want and you won't have to carry them. Kids can drop off asleep when they are tired, even if there are kids screaming on the top of the Astro Orbiter!

MrPeetrie
03-17-2012, 09:18 AM
All GREAT Tips.

Here's one for Epcot during the Food & Wine Festival.

If you are using the Dining Plan, you can use your SNACK credits at the food venues around the World Showcase. We found this out on our last trip. We used six snack credits one evening, sampling all the different foods. It was great!

Kairi_7378
03-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Animal Kingdom seems to be the hottest park (at least for us it does!) Plan to dress "cooler" at this park than at the others. I made the mistake of wearing a silky shirt that didn't breathe well.

disneymomma2010
03-19-2012, 09:48 PM
My tip for AK kali river rapids is wear a poncho! I don't care if I look like a dork for a few minutes, it's so much worth it to be dry and we can ride it whatever time of the day we want to because we don't have to worry about drying off! :snorkel:

Katzateer
03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
If you start the morning at a early entry park end the day at another -the fireworks/ parade at night at the EMH park will be crowded since a lot of people don't park hop.

MK - start with Fantasyland and you should get in most of the rides before it gets too crazy

HS - don't miss the street performers

EPCOT - talk to the cast members in all the countries

AK - go early and leave early -it gets HOT

Airblue1
03-20-2012, 08:49 PM
MK- Get the key to the kingdom and enjoy an afternoon back stage
AK-Yak&Yeti is a very very pleasant surprise
Epcot- Go Soarin over Cali in Fla then sample all the different types of flights in the WS:secret:
HS-Statler & Waldorf reference Pittsburgh, can't get any homie than that:number1::mickey:

Enjoy

MarkC
03-20-2012, 10:02 PM
For all parks-- get there 20 minutes prior to opening unless its the absolute slowest time of the year.

Kali River Rapids-- the poncho is a good idea but we've used trash bags as well and punched a hole in the bottom for our heads and in the side for our arms. That way we can just throw them away or give them to the next person in line.

Tough to be a bug-- if you've already seen it, and most of here have, just concentrate on listening to the rest of the audience instead of concentrating on the movie. Even my wife now loves this more than the movie itself.

mom2morgan
03-21-2012, 10:15 AM
My tip for AK kali river rapids is wear a poncho! I don't care if I look like a dork for a few minutes, it's so much worth it to be dry and we can ride it whatever time of the day we want to because we don't have to worry about drying off! :snorkel:

That reminds me of a story I read somewhere - one of the guidebooks. A couple wrote in that they tried the garbage bag thing but didn't make holes for their arms...the CM's had to kind of roll them into place and buckle them in, glaring all the while. :silly: Compared to that, you couldn't possibly look like a dork in a poncho!

wdwfansince75
03-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Lots of tips after lots of trips...but one for each:
MK..Quickest (and driest, and coolest) way to or from the gate to or from Adventureland/Frontierland/Liberty Square is through the Emporium.
EPCOT...Spaceship Earth lines are shortest in Afternoon..
DHS...For TSMM, do standby queue first... get FP after first ride (the initial crowd at the FP lines will be gone by then...It will probably be for mid to late afternoon) You can get to ToT and RnRC before lines get too long...everyone who gets into the TSMM FP line, then does Standby queue, will be 30 minutes or so behind you for those two rides, and the ones who go there first will be done, and on their way to other attractions.
AK-Send one group member, with all tickets, to EE for FP's while rest of party heads to the Safari...wait for FP getter to catch up before entering Safari...line will still be relatively short.

Drachengeist
03-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Do the Studios and Animal kingdom EARLY or evening. During the heat of the day you cant beat Epcot.
All the major attraction lines are in A/C and there are many many "splash spots" to cool off.

World showcase is not a powerwalking challenge.
Stroll and investigate. Not everything has to have ears to be interesting.

Before you actually walk into Epcot look all the way to the left. There are a set of bathrooms there that in my experience are always clean and mostly deserted. (Hey Darth maybe you can get easier ABRs there!)

If you are staying onsite take advantage of the store to resort perk for your souveniers. Nothing puts a damper on a day like leaving your bag o goodie$ on a ride, or dropping/breaking something while hurrying to the next attraction. Not to mention not having to haul it around.

bleukarma
03-21-2012, 04:37 PM
MK- If eating at Columbia Harbor House most people don't know there is an upstairs. It's usually deserted or less crowded up there.

Epcot- I always recommend the pastries in France. They are the real deal and SO good! Also, a cheap lunch is a ham and cheese croissant there for $3.50.

HS- Slow down and really pay attention to all the little details at this park. Disney really put a lot of them in to make it look like you are in the 30s/40s.

AK- Just because you can ride roller coasters doesn't mean you can do Dinosaur. I love roller coasters but HATE Dinosaur. I just can't handle it.

waymickey
03-22-2012, 08:16 AM
MK- Too hot or need a rest then ride wed way people mover TTA or go for a spin in the carosel of Progress. Need a snack the veg. Egg rools in adventure land are great.

EPCOT- best park for hot days. nice and cool since most attractions are inside. The Norway and mexico boat rides are a lot of fun. Walk behind Canada and go see the waterfalls .

DHS- If TSM is on the hit list go there first and go fast. The CM will not allow any shortcuts we have tried. Send your fastest runner ahead with passes to get FP and everyone else get in the standby line.

AK- Go early & head to the Safari before the sun gets too high and the animals all go to sleep. The Great movie ride is a great way to sit for a few minutes and enjoy the AC.

At all the parks ask the CM if the stand by line is really as long as it looks. Many times the line is moving quicker then it seems.

If staying on property head back to your resort in the middle of the day when lines are just too long and the sun is just too hot. Relax by the pools or take a nap. We love to go the WL whether we are staying there or not and sit in the lobby or explore.

BEST TIP-RELAX you are on vacation take time to sit back and soak it all in.

We LOVE Disney
03-22-2012, 02:44 PM
MK- If eating at Columbia Harbor House most people don't know there is an upstairs. It's usually deserted or less crowded up there.

This is our FAVORITE place to sit and eat at this restaurant :mickey:

E-OR
03-22-2012, 03:53 PM
MK: For a break and rest ride the People Mover
DHS: Be sure to ride Star Wars several times to see a few of the new scenes
EPCOT: Don't miss the fireworks - sit up on the balcony in the Japanese Pavilion. Great place to watch from.
Animal Kingdon: Don't miss all the animals that you can see when walking in.
TL: As soon as you get inside the park there is an alligator statue off to the left that my kids have had a picure by every year. (sometimes kicking and screaming) but I love to compare the pictures to see how they have changed and grown each year.
BB: A picture with the snow people when you walk in. Another one we do every year.

PopPhan
03-22-2012, 07:11 PM
For ALL parks (and all vacations, for that matter)....

RELAX!!! TAKE IT EASY!!

After all, you ARE on vacation. How are you going to experience the Magic if you are rushing around at 90 MPH to get to every ride/attraction/meet & greet???

But, that's just me....:D

Main Street Jim
03-22-2012, 09:58 PM
MK:At Main Street Station, head up to the locomotive and talk to the engineers. They're more than happy to pose for pictures. There may be other steam locomotives in this fast-paced, 21st-century world we live in full of technology, *but* the Disney parks have the only DAILY operating steam locomotives in the world. Most other places, the trains only operate "seasonally".

Try and find the princess crown at the Cinderella fountain behind the Castle (near Tinker Bell's Treasures - or at least, that was the name of it, last I knew - to the left of Mickey's PhilHarMagic).

At park opening, MOST folks head for Tomorrowland/Fantasyland. Head the other way - to Adventureland/Frontierland.

Most attraction queues have a left and right side. Head to the left - most folks are right-handed...

FastPass tip (at any park, really): If standby is a 20-minute-or-less wait, don't worry about a FP.

Peter Pan's Flight: for some reason, this attraction is much like Toy Story Mania: FP's go quick and go early.

Tomorrowland Speedway: there are four tracks (starting with the one closest to the queue): track 4, 3, 2, and 1 (1 is the closest to the "Victory Lane"). Tracks 1 and 3 are "left-hand drive"; tracks 2 and 4 are "right-hand drive". Let whoever is driving get into the car first. And don't hesitate to ask one of the CM's to take a pic of you and your family in the cars :)

Splash/Thunder Mountains are a great place to watch the fireworks as you ride :)

After the fireworks, if the park is closing, DON'T rush out to the Monorail/Ferry boat/launches. Take time to enjoy the Kiss Goodnight.

If you absolutely HAVE to get out of the park, and your vehicle is parked at the TTC, enjoy this little tip: Take the resort Monorail from MK to TTC. It's only the second stop, and chances are (especially if it's busy), you'll get there before the so-called "Express" Monorail (if there's more than a two-Monorail wait on the Express side).

EPCOT: TAKE YOUR TIME to enjoy EPCOT, especially World Showcase. LOTS of entertainment to see; I still don't think I've ever actually STOPPED to watch Off Kilter or Mo' Rockin' :)

Use the Friendships whenever available to traverse the lagoon.

Stick around the lagoon after Illuminations (some times it takes a while, but you won't get "kicked out" of the park) for the Inferno barge blowoff :thumbsup:

Animal Kingdom:Someone mentioned that this is a "hot" park. It *is* true that because of all of the trees and foliage, this park *really* holds humidity. Dress "cool". (No, not *that* kind of "cool"....LOLOLOL).

Someone also mentioned "wear a bathing suit" for Kali. While you *do* get just a *lil' bit* SOAKED, please be aware that bathing suits (or any parts thereof - such as bikini tops) are not permitted to be worn on *any* attraction. It's a hygiene issue, just like wearing only underwear. The only places that bathing suits are permitted are the two water parks (and yes, I'm aware that there *are* those guests that aren't aware of this "rule", especially in the water play areas in the theme parks).

Nearly everyone will head for either Safaris or Everest first thing in the morning. If you head to either one first, get a FP and come back later (and be aware of your return time!). Try out some of the other attractions first.

Want a good laugh with a great message? Flights of Wonder is *HI-larious*. And the show's pretty good, too.

Hollywood Studios:Lights! Motors! Action! runs at least twice a day. Make sure you check this one out, especially for those of you that like FAST cars and bikes, and LOUD action! (I actually still know a few people that drive the stunt cars - they actually drive REAL race cars on weekends at a local Orlando area track!)

Take some time to learn about Walt Disney, the *person*, at "One Man's Dream". There's even a replica of Walt's studio office. Don't just BLOW through this thing - take time to watch the film at the end of the tour.

Also take some time to learn to draw a Disney character :) At the end of the Animation Tour, there's a "Learn to Draw" class.

GENERAL:*Always* allow AT LEAST an hour's travel time between parks/resorts.

Like most others have said, take a break in the middle of the day. Recharge for the evening ahead :)

Four ways to get those Disney souvenirs back to you: 1) Take it with you after purchase, lug it around the park all day long :) 2) Have it sent to the front of the park, pick it up on the way out at the end of the day, lug it with you back to the resort... 3) Have it sent directly to your room, then, no need to lug it at all (a FREE service for Disney resort guests; but, keep in mind, if you have two or less days left, you might not get it to the room in time)... or 4) ship it back home for a nominal fee via USPS, UPS, or FedEx. As always, feel free to ask a CM about your options.

Hope this helps :)

tsantillo
03-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Well said, Main Street Jim!
I love the info about the steam locomotives. I'm afraid I'm guilty of taking their uniqueness for granted.
This fact was a nice reminder of why the Disney parks are so special to those of us that "get it".

AXOAlum
03-23-2012, 06:14 PM
MK: Get the Dole Whip Float - honestly, there is nothing better :mickey:

EPCOT: Best park on property - so much to do/explore - don't call it "boring" around me!! We especially love Morocco... so beautiful! Also - take the "Behind the Seeds" tour at the Land Pavillion - the tour is inexpensive and SO great. My kids love it.

DHS: Walk around the outside of the Muppet Vision 3-D queue and look closely in the pre-show area... all the boxes/crates have funny things on them!

DAK: As for Kali - my 9 yo LOVES it - we bring a change of clothes. DH & DS wear a bathing suit and a swimshirt (which functions as normal attire) and I wear my bathing suit (full piece - I'm too big for a bikini!) under a pair of gym shorts and a tank top (better than what most people wear!!) and flip flops. There are bathrooms just outside of the attraction so we ride multiple times and when we are done, a quick change into our regular clothes and we're ready to go! Summer clothes are not heavy, so carrying them in the bookbag doesn't bother us, and our flops dry quickly so no heavy shoes to lug around.

Also - get to a performance of Finding Nemo - The Musical early enough to get seats in the middle of the theatre. You can see it all and that show is nothing short of spectacular! :mickey:

LandFan
03-25-2012, 03:13 PM
For all parks: Eat off hours! Get CS lunch around 11am and it is easy, fresh and not crowded! Then snack mid-afternoon and get a later dinner (if you don't have little ones, of course).

MK: At the end of the night, walk towards the exit through all of the gift shops (starting at Casey's) on Main Street as they all connect - it is quicker than walking down main street in the middle of the hoard of people!

Epcot: The best restrooms (emptiest/quietest) are the ones on the walkway over the pond/lake where the old Odyssey restaurant used to be! never a line, never gross.

AK: Great place to eat at FlameTree BBQ: follow their little path all the way to the bottom and there is a very nice blue pavillion down there on the edge of the water complete with condiments and napkins and begging ducks. Not many people go all the way down to the bottom. It's usually very peaceful. Sometimes a boat full of Disney characters comes cruising by...

DHS: I got nothin' - I'm not a fan of this park.
I guess that Backlot has the best CS...

LandFan
03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Oh yeah - and the Behind the Seeds tour at EPCOT!!

Gator
03-25-2012, 06:08 PM
MK: For a snack credit, you can get one of the best cinnamon rolls you've ever had to start the day.

Epcot: Never miss the World Showcase Players. They are so funny. The show is the same each time, but the audience participation makes it screamin'.

DHS: Stop to talk with the "streetmosphere" actors. They're a hoot. And it reminds you that WDW is more than just rides. It's an experience.

AK: Enjoy the ambience of the jungle. It's always nice to remember what "the wild" looks like.

epceddie
03-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Magic Kingdom - Head to Tomorrow Land at park opening. You'll be able to ride Buzz Lighytear numerous times in a row with little or no wait. Also, head over to Carousel of Progress. At this time of the day, we've had an entire theater all to ourselves.
If you want to have the park almost all to yourself for a little while, make an 8:05 a.m. breakfast reservation at Crystal Palace. You'll be able to walk up and empty Main Street USA and get some great photos of the park before the crowds come rolling in.

Epcot - Take a break and explore all the great flavors of Coca Cola from around the world at Club Cool. You can sample as much as you like.

Disney's Hollywood Studios - Don't miss the Animation Academy. A Disney imagineer walks you step by step through the drawing of a character that you get to take it home as a souvenir. It was very cool. We drew Dopey, one of the Seven Dwarfs.

Animal Kingdom - The Donald Duck character breakfast is one of the best that Disney offers.
I also agree that Kali River Rapids should be done later in the day when temps reach their peak or on the way out of the park, because you're going to get soaked. We all had to put our sneakers in the dryer one time.

kemps@wdw
03-31-2012, 11:03 PM
Best tips...I love post like these!
My tips,
MK- if you're like me and want to know "how things work there, take the "Keys" tour.
Epcot - late afternoon/evening World Showcase "stroll" and eat and drink your way "around the World". Definitely stop and make time to take in the musical talents of each country if possible,
DHS - double whammy on TOT and RRC. I'm not a huge TOT fan but DH and DD are. They go to it 1st thing in AM, while I go to MY fave ride (RRC), with their cards, I get a FP for all of us, and hit he single rider line. Then I meet up with them after they've ridden TOT twice, and we go for the RRC again...double whammy!
AK - safarhi as early as possible for more animal sightings. FP Everest and do Bugs Life or vice-versa. Don't ride Khali River Rapids and then see Lion King show...theater will seem overly cold! :D
All parks: Try to be 1st at the gate to be chosen "Family of the Day". The perks are well worth it! And, for us, park hopping is not just an option, it's a way of WDW life. Give us an opportunity to do EVERYTHING we want, EVERYWHERE we want and not have to rush,rush,rush!
Thank you all for your tips. Even a WDW vet can never learn enough!

Dopey's Girl
03-31-2012, 11:15 PM
I just have one general, all park tip. Unless you have an unlimited budget to stay for months, you can't see everything in one trip. I'm planning #29 and there are still thing I have never done.

When we went as kids, we each picked one attraction per park that we would be crushed if we didn't see. We made sure to get to those, and everything else was just gravy.

We have all seen that stressed family with 2.5 screaming kids, who are running to the next attraction because it is what is on the plan. How is that fun? The best Disney moments I have ever had are ones I could never have planned.

Disney Crazy
04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
My best tip is for all parks: When any member of your family is tired... STOP. Take a break. Find a bench in the shade, ride a cool ride, or go back to the room and relax. The rides will still be there when you are rested! :blush: Most meltdowns (children and adults) happen because we keep pushing to see and do more. An ice cream break and shady bench have saved the day for us on more than one occasion! :mickey:

AJ Springfield
04-04-2012, 11:39 AM
I love this thread!! I agree to stop and smell the roses (literally and figuratively). There is no other place that pays so much attention to detail like WDW. I take pics of our family, but also of the architecture, the hidden mickeys, and the things that "just say Disney" to me. Example: a fun picture I took was of all the shoes while riding the bus back to the resort. I put my camera down low (no faces of other guests) and have a reminder of all the people that come here every year for the magic.

Happy Travels, everyone!!

swampfox28
04-10-2012, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the tips. It always feels good to hear some good advice from the experts! :thumbsup:

Princess'Mom
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
[DHS: I got nothin' - I'm not a fan of this park.
I guess that Backlot has the best CS...[/QUOTE]

And I thought I was the only one who felt this way. :blush:

Looking for Hidden Mickeys is something my family does each trip. My DH isn't a big fan of WDW, but even he keeps an eye out for them!

Wolf
04-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Yall might think I'm crazy because of this but at one point on our trip last Oct when we were getting monsouned upon, Moma just told me "Stop taking pictures" I always am the one behind a camera the whole trip and alot of my trip once we come back I see more when I look at the pictures than I did when we were there. She wouldn't let me take pictures of the second time we watched the Halloween party parade and I saw it for the first time, really. It was amazing, it was hard for me to deal with it because we didn't have the same kind of pictures I'm used to (well over 1000 each trip) but it was great because I could take in more. I'd suggest that because I'm certainly going to do it again, not leaving my camera at home but not feeling the need to take pictures of everything I saw totally new things!!!

ANG
04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Well they aren't the BEST tips but ones that we like:

MK- Use the barber shop! Girls can get their hair down up without doing the entire princess boutique. You can get your kid's first haircut. I Think everyone should try it at least once. It's a cool experience.

Epcot- The British Invasion in the UK! Get some fish and chips for lunch and listen to the music in the garden while you eat.

AK- Dress in breathable clothing. The combo of the excess sun and the mist they pump in for the wildlife can leave you feeling sticky.

HS- Don't forget, they have an awesome parade as well!