PDA

View Full Version : Online School Frustration

DVC2004
03-13-2012, 04:22 PM
So my husband takes online college courses for the past year and half through a well known online school. His final for the current class was due on Sunday and it was a project, and he was working on it all week.

On Friday, he was locked out of his class. No reason, talked to several people between now and then, no one could answer as to why. He was transferred over and over to various people- IT, his counselor, financial services, everyone. It's all a big mystery. No reason and no one knows why.

On Sunday when the project was due he forwarded to his instructor's personal email with a note about what happened. He has not heard back yet. He is now "unlocked" but too late of course.

According to the school, there is a zero tolerance policy for missing an assignment or final. They have stated they have the right not to accept his final- because it was not submitted through the proper online classroom channel (because he's locked out for no reason!) and it is up to the instructor's discretion.

Wow, he pays about $1250 a course, through our funds and not financial aid or scholarships, and has a 4.0 gradepoint average. He didn't miss one point this entire class and then this. It's ridiculous to me that they could make such a mistake and then come back with this answer. Grrr.

Waiting to hear back from someone- anyone over there but this is amazing to me. It won't ruin his grade, he will still pass even if they don't accept, but I think it's terrible if his GPA has to suffer because of an issue on their end.

SBETigg
03-13-2012, 04:32 PM
This sounds extremely frustrating. With his record, though, I can't imagine they won't look at his record, realize it was their mistake, and accept his work. I think a lot of schools have rules like that because there are students who chronically try to get around the rules and make excuses. But, they wouldn't stay in business if they were using bad business techniques and alienating good students. It's possible you're just getting their standard message to cover their own policies until they look into it further, maybe? Fingers crossed for a positive outcome here.

Janmac
03-13-2012, 06:18 PM
My niece - who lives here with us - has been doing online college classes for something like 3 years (she's one course away from being a senior). She has had this happen more than once. The worst was when the school was changing over to new software. At first, the classrooms were not unlocked - one for almost an entire week, which is a lot in an accelerated class. Then, during the course, there were some weeks that assignments did not load properly.

My niece has been aggravated when it's the problem of the college and/or software as opposed to her computer acting up, or the internet service provider not being available. It's not fun when the problem is on her end - and she doesn't expect much leeway - but when it's on the college it's a different story.

It's unfortunate that this happened when your husband has a 4.0 average. That's beyond annoying. There have been times that my niece has had some luck with being granted extra time, or whatever, regarding problems, due to a professor making the decision. It is sure arbitrary.

I wonder if all online universities are the same or if your DH and my niece are enrolled in the same one? I had never heard of the one she's enrolled with but apparently it is accredited and well-known, etc.

Jan

azdisneymom
03-13-2012, 07:16 PM
I have been taking online classes for about a year now. What I have learned is that it may take days for the prof to check email and respond. I had a project due on the same day as my ds went to the emergency room. I sent a quick email late that night and decided that whatever happened would happen. 3 days later I got a response and the deadline had been extended. It may be frustrating for your hubby but I would not consider it a lost cause. His professor probably hasn't checked in yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

DVC2004
03-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Well, good news- eveyrthing worked out. Finally an advisor got in touch with him, still no explanation, but apologized and also contacted the teacher. He got a perfect score on his final and still has his 4.0. What a relief. I guess it was just one of those things.

Janmac
03-16-2012, 09:58 AM
That is good news. I'm glad it worked out.
Good luck to your DH.

Jan

VWL Mom
03-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Well, good news- eveyrthing worked out. Finally an advisor got in touch with him, still no explanation, but apologized and also contacted the teacher. He got a perfect score on his final and still has his 4.0. What a relief. I guess it was just one of those things.

So glad it all worked out :thumbsup: