PDA

View Full Version : PhotoPass price increase

Strmchsr
03-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Just saw on the Photopass Facebook page the announcement that the PhotoPass CD will be increased to $169.95 effective March 21. No word on if there's a change to the pre-order price, but if you know you're going to order one, get it before the price changes.

disneymom07
03-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to pre order mine right now.

sonamae80
03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Yes! Thanks for the heads up! I have ordered ours! ;)

potzie
03-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know how long you have to use it? We're going in July, but I remember once I bought it too early and had to have them reset the date on it as it expired.

Cheers,

Brian

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Bet the preorder price also goes up $20. I'll be ordering mine on Friday. But if you go to the website - it also states that changes are being made in April to their privacy policy. I "clicked there" to see the changes, but the policy I read was still dated Aug. 2011.

Quadstriker
03-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Seems to me that the price is getting out of hand for it. It was nice to have during our 2 week wedding and honeymoon trip, but I can never see us purchasing it again at that price point.

dlpmikki
03-13-2012, 02:27 PM
I had just seen their message Chris and was coming here to post it. I got some great pictures in my January photopass so I think I will be pre-ordering for October and ICOT anniversary!

PopPhan
03-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Next thing you know, they will be charging you to take your photos with YOUR camera and/or personal cameras will not be allowed in the parks....All photos MUST be taken by PhotoPass photographers and are only available by paying for them....

Bethis26fan
03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
wow that seems high to me.

Strmchsr
03-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know how long you have to use it? We're going in July, but I remember once I bought it too early and had to have them reset the date on it as it expired. Cheers,Brian

Not 100% sure, but I don't think there's a time limit on the pre-order. The 30 day expiration stats from the moment you view photopass pictures. You might call customer service just to confirm.

DizneyRox
03-13-2012, 04:31 PM
I seem to remember the pre-order actually being a credit on your account that brings the final price down. You guys might want to verify what that credit will be worth in the future. Not sure you'll actually be saving anything, rather just tying up your money.

dlpmikki
03-13-2012, 04:38 PM
The pre-order credit has in the past covered the entire cost of the CD - you get a hefty discount for paying early. For international orders they do still add a fairly high postage. Current pre-order offer says no expiration date. Has had in the past and they have also withdrawn the pre-order option in the past, most notably when they last put the price up!

Mgcamp
03-13-2012, 06:02 PM
The photo pass credit itself does not expire but you only have 90 days to get a refund of the preorder credit if you choose not to get a CD for some reason (didn't get enough photos, didn't like them etc.). Please see the terms and conditions from the Photopass Website

When you are ready to purchase, add the product(s) you pre-ordered to your shopping cart and place your order. Applicable shipping & handling charges and taxes will be charged to all orders. The applicable credit(s) will be deducted from your cart and applied to your order. If for any reason you decide that you do not wish to fulfill your pre-arrival CD order just let us know within 90 days from the date of Pre-purchase and we will remove the credit from your cart and grant you a full refund.

i'm grumpy
03-13-2012, 06:41 PM
:mad: And it's always a major issue trying to edit and add icons.

Gator
03-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Man, it was already pricey enough. I won't be getting it on the next trip for sure.

DizneyRox
03-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Agreed... Well be taking our own camera and be done with it. Honestly, many of the photographers are pretty bad. The only advantage of using them is getting everyone n the shot, but I'll just ask other guests. I get asked enough, I'll start returning the favor.

tinksmom02
03-13-2012, 09:11 PM
That is a ridiculously high price, in my opinion. I don't even think our 4 day trip in August will warrant the pre-purchase price--I'll just have the photographers take pics with my camera as well as theirs.

DizneyFreak2002
03-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Man, it was already pricey enough. I won't be getting it on the next trip for sure.

Just feel lucky you don't have to book your PhotoPass photo 180 days out... LOL...

Quadstriker
03-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Agreed... Well be taking our own camera and be done with it. Honestly, many of the photographers are pretty bad. The only advantage of using them is getting everyone n the shot, but I'll just ask other guests. I get asked enough, I'll start returning the favor.

This is a good point. We had unusable shots taken because the photographer decided that using the focus was optional.

For real. I thought it was really steep for 100 bucks. I think they're pricing themselves out of profit on this one. Last time I went I saw very few people actually getting pictures taken by photopass photographers.

The quality of handhelds and even cellphone cameras keeps going up. The shots taken with them these days are usually every bit as good as "professional" cameras for memory purposes.

DizneyRox
03-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Actually, the quality of the camera is only a small part of the equation.

My 3.2MP EOS Rebel still takes great pictures. It's 90% photographer, and you can't get much of a photographer at minimum wage.

mdricks
03-14-2012, 02:56 PM
For that price you can buy a camera, take the pics, throw it away and still come out on top!

dizneydeb22
03-14-2012, 03:46 PM
I think the idea of the photopass is that if you buy quite a few of the photos taken by the photographers, than it pays to order. If you don't , just don't order it. Not everything is intended to save EVERYONE money. Most things are geared towards certain consumers. The photopass CD is geared towards those of us who prefer the photos taken by the photographers, and will save money overall.
In all my years going to WDW, never have I been given an attitude when I asked a PP or other CM to take a picture with my own camera!

I have to say I am becoming disenchanted with many of the posters on this board. It seems to be the same group of negative people.

I know, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I come on these boards because of my LOVE of Disney, not to bash them!

I don't know about you, but when I started my own business, or even when I was employee, I did so to make as much money as I could!

I'm not saying that all of my experiences at Disney are positive, but in the end, someone at Disney made me feel better and respected. I also don't make crazy unattainable demands. The situation is what you make of it; it's a lesson learned one way or the other.

That being said, I'm prepared for the bashing I'm going to take...but like I said earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion! :mickey:

Zippy 1
03-31-2012, 12:28 AM
I pre ordered the photopass cd before our trip in January. We had some great photographers. We had many different poses in different. We even had a photographer join us for our trip around fantasy land. Came home and found out we had almost 900 pictures along with bonus content from Disney. I did some cropping and border adding and ended up with 2100 pictures. Lot of work but well worth it. Will I bu the cd at $169 probably not but if they do a pre order for less than $110 I might. We had them add pictures from 3 meals we had also. Just a ton of fun memories. I am a real picture for every occasion person. Everyone will just have to figure out if it right for them.:mickey:

TheVBs
03-31-2012, 07:59 AM
I have pre-ordered the CD for the past two or three trips and have been so glad I did. No one is ever happy about a price increase, but I would still pre-order it if it went up a little. I love the pics the PhotoPass CMs get! We usually end up with 300-400 on the CD after adding borders, etc. And I usually order prints of at least half of them. Buying the CD and ordering prints through anther company is waaaaay less expensive than it would be if I bought those prints from Disney! So, for us, it would still be a good value.

AgentC
03-31-2012, 08:58 AM
This is a good point. We had unusable shots taken because the photographer decided that using the focus was optional.

For real. I thought it was really steep for 100 bucks. I think they're pricing themselves out of profit on this one. Last time I went I saw very few people actually getting pictures taken by photopass photographers. . . .

I think it depends on the photos you have taken. For some people, I could see it being a great deal.

I have never ordered the CD. We usually don't get enough photopass pictures to make it worth it and we take tons of photos evenif they are only with my iPhone. Last October when did the BBB with both my daughter and son. We also did some extra character meets. Shortly after we did MVMCP.

At BBB, the photographers got some great shots that I didn't just because they knew the best place to take the photos from and we ended up with a lot of great photos. It would have been nice to get them all on the CD.

Instead I decided to do the photobook which allowed me to add the best of my photos and their photos to tell a story.

If I knew I was going to have a lot of pictures taken for a special event, I would consider it.

Ian
03-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Ha ... that's insane. I can't fathom paying close to $200 for pictures that I can take for free myself!

And let me tell you, those PhotoPass photographers aren't that great. They're just average CM's with a camera around their neck. Most of the PP photos I get end up zoomed so far out you can hardly tell who's in the pic!

No thanks. I'll pass.

Aurora
04-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Yes, the pre-order price also went up to $119.95.

Apparently they are also offering a PhotoPass+ option that includes all your dining package photos, certain attraction photos (Space Mountain; Splash Mountain; Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin; The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror; Rock ‘n Roller Coaster; Expedition Everest; and Dinosaur), all your PhotoPass photos and 400 stock images for $199.95. (No pre-order for PhotoPass+ but you can upgrade later if desired.)

TheVBs
04-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Good to know, thanks for the update!

DizneyRox
04-13-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm out.. @ $119 it's way too much for average at best photographs.