PDA

View Full Version : Storybook Circus Now Partially Open

Strmchsr
03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
The new Dumbo, the train stations, and the Great Goofini opened this morning. The "old" Dumbo opening has been pushed back to March 31. By then both Dumbos will be operating. So, if any of ya'll go, let's here how it all looks!

Figment!
03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Few notes of interest from this morning's soft opening:

The official name of the rollercoaster is "The Barnstormer featuring Goofy as the Great Goofini"
The queue for new Barnstormer features other feats that the Great Goofini preforms.
The sub-section that the railroad station is located in is named "Carolwood Park". This is likely a reference to Walt's Carolwood Drive home and/or his Carolwood-Pacific Railroad.

Figment!
03-12-2012, 01:11 PM
The "old" Dumbo opening has been pushed back to March 31. By then both Dumbos will be operating. I believe March 31 is the "offcial" opening date for the side currently in Soft Open.

The other side is currently just a partial "hub", unfinished queue, and a dirt lot. Cast Members have reported that the second side should be open during 'Summer 2012".

Strmchsr
03-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I believe March 31 is the "offcial" opening date for the side currently in Soft Open.

Yep. You're right. I double-checked my info. Sorry for the confusion.

SBETigg
03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
I saw a Twitter account that says it's crazy crowded at the MK right now and the lines in Fantasyland are unreal. I would love to hear more from someone who is there.

DizneyFreak2002
03-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Some part of Storybook Circus has begun soft openings, with grand opening still set for March 31.. How, I have no idea LOL... So much to still do...

Anyway, saw pictures online... CM costumes are meh, they fit the theme but something about them just seems, odd... I'm sure it is something I'll get used to though, doesn't take away from how nice the land actually looks...

The train station looks gorgeous... They added a Carolwood reference there... Kudos!!! The Barnstormer area is better themed than the previous incarnation... And Dumbo, well, the water basin bottom really adds another layer to the spinner...

The attention to detail is what really gives this land its charm so far... There are two different themes to the trash cans even!!! The queue of the train station has been made to look a little rusted, along with parts of the station itself to give it an old world feel...

Can't judge it too fairly yet since most of the land still isn't built, but, if this is any indication, then Storybook Circus is going to look superb (much better than Dinorama)... I'm very much interested in seeing this land in person...

darthmacho
03-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Two words: Ya hoo! :dumbo:

Okay, that's not really even one word, but I'm really happy that this will be all up and running on our August trip.

Melanie
03-12-2012, 05:42 PM
I saw a Twitter account that says it's crazy crowded at the MK right now and the lines in Fantasyland are unreal. I would love to hear more from someone who is there.

I can tell you that crowds at Epcot are insane today, so I can't even imagine MK. That said, we are headed that way tomorrow. Lord help us.

DizneyFreak2002
03-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Part of the reason they pushed to get some things open... They need the capacity going forward with spring break/Easter week coming soon and summer right around the corner..

And yes, from pictures, it appears crowds were pretty large...

Aurora
03-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Re: crowds, isn't Spring Break already in full swing? I hear so many reports of schools being off this time of year, I'd be surprised if it wasn't crowded at WDW.

DizneyFreak2002
03-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Re: crowds, isn't Spring Break already in full swing? I hear so many reports of schools being off this time of year, I'd be surprised if it wasn't crowded at WDW.

Yea, spring breaks are starting... And Easter is only a few weeks away, which is another busy week for crowds...

I wouldn't want to be there during that time...

Christine
03-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Headed that way!

SBETigg
03-12-2012, 09:25 PM
I can tell you that crowds at Epcot are insane today, so I can't even imagine MK. That said, we are headed that way tomorrow. Lord help us.

Aha, I knew I could count on Melanie to be there with the scoop.

Melanie
03-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Headed that way!

Aha, I knew I could count on Melanie to be there with the scoop.

I'll be interested to hear Christine's report from tonight. Everything I'm seeing is indicating craziness!!!

Christine
03-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Well I am just so impressed with what I saw tonight! The colors are gorgeous- the water effect under dumbo is amazing! The goofini ride was broken. But looks great- there's a precious crashed plane that "smokes" and has a saddle on it. The path from the train station has momma & baby elephant tracks with embedded peanuts in the concrete leading to the ride.

So excited to have seen this! Coming back Wednesday. Have to see it in daylight!!

Enjoy tomorrow Mel- the crowds are indeed horrendous- the kind where you enter & exit backstage. But it's all good, right?

Melanie
03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
YAY!!! I love the water effect on the Dumbo's in Disneyland and Tokyo, so I'm sure this is pretty.

Well, besides the crowd reports, everyone is saying how well done everything looks. I'm excited to see it.

Enjoy tomorrow Mel- the crowds are indeed horrendous- the kind where you enter & exit backstage. But it's all good, right?

Anything you say girlfriend. ;)

darthmacho
03-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Looking forward to seeing Fantasyland in August. I know it won't be completely finished, and there will be a lot still under construction, but it will be awesome to see where things are, and look forward to the completion! :mickey:

Jared
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Crowds were insane last night, but Storybook Circus looks incredible. If this is an indication of what's in store for new Fantasyland, Disney fans have a lot to be excited about.

I agree that the female costumes work better than the male, but it's not all that bad. The train station is absolutely stunning, as is the new Dumbo spinner.

Going to try to head back there Wednesday for a little more exploring.

MizMissy
03-13-2012, 10:09 AM
I would love to see pictures! If anyone present or heading that way would take pictures and share, I would greatly appreciate it!

disneymom15
03-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Where are the pictures posted? Would love to see them.

Melanie
03-13-2012, 03:17 PM
GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS! We got in there this morning before the major crowds and I got some good shots. Will be working on getting them downloaded and on this thread very soon.

I'm in love with the new train station. What a complete surprise. Even the bathrooms are gorgeous! And the Dumbo looks so pretty with the water effect. So glad they brought that here. I can't wait to see it at night with the lighting. We rode Great Goofini. The exit and entrance has been reversed from Barnstormer and I like the new queue enhancements, with new props and shade covers.

Okay, working on getting up some pics.

Melanie
03-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Looking down past Dumbo to Great Goofini entrance and Train Station in distance. And the new themed trash cans, because believe it or not, some folks care about that. :D

Melanie
Barnstormer featuring Goofy, the Great Goofini entrance. Here you can see the CM costumes that are being so talked about. Also pictured are some props in the queue area and the shade thingys I was talking about earlier. They look nice.

Melanie
This is the new Carolwood Park (nod to Walt) restrooms, station entrance and the train pulling away from the station.

Melanie
03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
And finally Dumbo - just so pretty!!!

Melanie
03-13-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm going to add all my pics from this morning to an album on our Facebook page. Be sure to 'like' our page and see them there. :thumbsup:

Scar
03-13-2012, 04:04 PM
:muscles: Love the new trash cans! :muscles:

Gettin' one for my kitchen! :beer:

VWL Mom
03-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Great pictures! Thanks so much :mickey:

Love the restrooms/train station, nicely done.

Dopey's Girl
03-13-2012, 04:28 PM
So cute! I'm excited to check it out in April!

I can't wait to get home and check out Mel's pics on Facebook!

darthmacho
03-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Where's the second Dumbo going to go? :confused: Is it already in place?

SBETigg
03-13-2012, 05:11 PM
I just saw them on Facebook. Looks good. I'm still not compelled to spend much time in Fantasyland, but maybe once the rest of it opens. And certainly, if I had little ones. Thanks for the update and pictures.

AgentC
03-13-2012, 05:19 PM

No, it is schedule to be installed around June. According to the Orlando paper, it is being refurbished and painted to look like the new one.

Melanie
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM

Okay, looking at this pic, the second Dumbo will be on the right, backing up to the Speedway. This is the center tent where both queue's sprout from. The other Dumbo is in place (it's the old one) and being put back together/refurbished.

Melanie
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
No, it is schedule to be installed around June. According to the Orlando paper, it is being refurbished and painted to look like the new one.

Ah, I'm probably mistaken, and it's true the main part is not there yet. I do see a base though.

disneymom15
03-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Nice pictures Mel. I see you've added "head TWIT" to your signature, love it, too funny!

BrerGnat
03-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Wow, this whole area looks so classy! It doesn't match the rest of MK. ;) Just kidding...sort of. With all the rock work and stuff, looks a bit like Disneyland's Fantasyland, which is just fine by me!

This is a good omen for the rest of the FLE!

Melanie
03-13-2012, 07:11 PM
This is a good omen for the rest of the FLE!

Agreed! I now have a really good feeling about how all this is going to turn out. The stone/rock work is just so nice.

MizMissy
03-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Did they extend Barnstormer? Or extend the train station? I'm trying to figure out what's in the old Donald's Boat area.

The pictures look great! Thanks for bringing us along.

buzznwoodysmom
03-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Great pictures Mel. We haven't done Dumbo in years, but I think we'll have to ride it at least once now. It looks so great.

Any idea what will be opening next? I haven't really kept track of when things are supposed to be opening. As far as anyone knows, what all will be open by the end of the summer, late July/early Aug.?

MizMissy
03-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Any idea what will be opening next? I haven't really kept track of when things are supposed to be opening. As far as anyone knows, what all will be open by the end of the summer, late July/early Aug.?

So, does this mean you are going this summer? lol. We need to have lunch again soon.

buzznwoodysmom
03-14-2012, 11:36 AM
So, does this mean you are going this summer? lol. We need to have lunch again soon.

Yes, as far as I can tell it does mean we are going this summer. LOL. If DH wasn't going to be in Germany for almost a month I wouldn't do it, but my mom is itching to go back too, so looks like we are going to try to make it happen. I already have Ohana's booked! No room booked yet, but Ohana's had to be booked just incase. LOL.

We should definitely have lunch again.

disneymomma2010
03-14-2012, 01:05 PM
So what does it look like at the spot where the old dumbo was? Is it just an open space now or are they putting something else there?

Jared
03-14-2012, 01:50 PM
So what does it look like at the spot where the old dumbo was? Is it just an open space now or are they putting something else there?

As far as I know, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will utilize that space. Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken.

BrerGnat
03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
As far as I know, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will utilize that space. Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken.

Not quite. I think that area will become more of a courtyard/walking path area. The mine train will be on the site of the old 2k lagoon. I think Dumbo's removal will just allow for additional space for landscaping additions/benches, etc.

Jared
03-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Not quite. I think that area will become more of a courtyard/walking path area. The mine train will be on the site of the old 2k lagoon. I think Dumbo's removal will just allow for additional space for landscaping additions/benches, etc.
I think you're right. I'm taking a look at the plans now. They're a little hard to decipher, but I think what you're saying is correct.

DizneyFreak2002
03-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Dumbo's old spot will be taken up by part of the new castle walls, added walking space, and probably landscape, like Nat said...

darthmacho
03-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Oops, posted this reply on another thread by accident, though luckily it was the same theme. Anyway, I'm re-replying with the same post here...:secret:

I just watched several videos on Youtube of the new Storybook Circus area, both day and night, and they were awesome! I can't wait for the entire thing to be finished, but here's a couple of things I noticed while watching:

1. Dumbo looks wonderful, and whomever thought to add the fountain was a genius! (That is new, right?)
2. Dumbo looks awesome at night. I think it will become a new nighttime favorite.
3. The new area looked awesome, so despite losing the castle view, Dumbo is still vary charming.
4. The background music and water fountain seemed to drown out any other noise, so I don't think the proximity to Tomorrowland Speedway is an issue.
5. The Great Goofini looks like it is a nice fit to the theme, but it looks pretty much like the same ride.
6. The trains station looks great and they were smart to get that open asap.
7. Just watching the video made my heart swell. Can't wait to get there!

My question:

1. After seeing the sign for SBC, I was wondering...what are the "Humphrey" and "Casey Jr." attractions supposed to be?

Melanie
03-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Answering a few of your questions Darth -

1. As far as I know, the Dumbo at WDW was the only one worldwide WITHOUT the water feature. Yes, it definitely brings it up to par with the rest. It's gorgeous!

4. Didn't notice any noise from Speedway while we were there yesterday, but the Dumbo that will be nearest to it is not open yet.

5. Exact same ride/track, just different themeing. And they switched the entrance and exit.

6. The train station just goes beyond expectations. It's awesome!

DizneyFreak2002
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
The Dumbos from the original spinner are now back on property after a refurbishment... They will be added very soon... Expect the second (or original spinner in this case) to be ready to go soon...

waymickey
03-16-2012, 09:55 AM
It looks so great I can not wait to get there!!!

TheVBs
03-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Thank you so much for the pictures Melanie!! :mickey: It all looks so wonderful. I can't wait to see it in person! It will be about a year before we go back though. By the way, DD7 is one of those people who cares about the trash cans. LOL! So thanks for including that picture.

mac badger
03-30-2012, 04:36 PM
I just got back from MK yesterday, and the new expansion looks great. Dumbo is fantastic at night, you must see it with all the lights and water lit up

Melanie
03-30-2012, 04:41 PM
I just got back from MK yesterday, and the new expansion looks great. Dumbo is fantastic at night, you must see it with all the lights and water lit up

I've got to get back over there at night!