PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Trip, and I Need Your Help Quick!!!

RoosMomKanga
03-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Hey, that rhymes!

DH is attending a convention (one day) and we just decided today:jaw: to make it a mini-vaca/extended weekend with me (DW) and our youngest DS2/16yo (he has only been to WDW once, 10 years ago). I'm trying to do this as economically as possible, but not waste too much park time (time is $$). EEEK, I NEED TO BOOK ALL THIS NOW (just 11 days from now)!!! HELP ME INTERCOT!!!

My Questions (In Bold if you want just the summary...sorry for the length, but I've never stayed off site and I'm not sure what to book):
Should we switch hotels twice in four nights to Disney properties (have to stay off-site other nights) just to get Early Magic Hours and Disney transportation? And if so, what's the best, and not too expensive way to switch hotels? Is it warm enough now that my DS/16yo, and I could swim/relax all day Sunday at the Hilton Bonnet Creek pools/lazy river, or would you recommend I buy us a 3-day park hopper instead of a two-day (because of his age, we can skip most of the parades/kiddie rides/some shows)?

Fri., March 23: Fly in late afternoon
Sat., March 24: Parks/Hoppers all day (all), and must stay at Hilton Bonnet Creek that night
Sun., March 25: DH working the Convention, DS2 and I ???, and must stay at Hilton Bonnet Creek that night
Mon., March 26: Parks/Hoppers all day (all)
Tues., March 27: Fly home early

So, should I book a Disney Value Hotel on Friday night and Monday night (we're at the HiltonBC Sat. & Sun.)?

The pros:
- We can use Magical Express Shuttles in and out and DH will be on a different airline, so it would save costs and waiting for each other at the airport if the flights don't line up.
- We can use Early Magic Hours on our park days (Studios Saturday, AK Monday) and Extra Evening Magic Hours (Studios Monday…maybe MK on Sat, but I'm not sure which day since it says 12am- 3am…maybe I need sep. question about that here?). Since this is peak season (never been during peak), I'm assuming the EMH and EEMH are even more invaluable? And I'm assuming that we can still use the EMH EEMH plan on arrival and departure days, right (we've never stayed off-site)?
- We can use the Disney Transportation between parks (we will transfer parks after EMH). The HBC has buses to the parks, but I've heard it can take a long time.

The cons:
- Saturday, early am, we would have to store our things with the bellhop at the Disney property. We would have to come back to the hotel and get our things over to the HiltonBC and check in there at some point before going back to the parks. We were thinking of just using the buses (HiltonBC buses go to the parks and the TTC), but I'm thinking that would take up valuable time. Is the best way to catch a cab for the 3 of us and our stuff…how expensive is that?
- Monday, super early am, we would have to check out of the HiltonBC and get to the Disney property and check-in (have them hold our luggage until the room is ready, then put it in our room). This is the only way to get our keys to get in to EMH, right? If we have the energy, we may stay at the park until really late (closes at 1am), so I hope we don't have to come back to formally check in earlier in the day.

What would you suggest? THANK YOU!!

SBETigg
03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Considering the way your trip is arranged, I really think it will be more hassle to change hotels then to just stick with the Hilton Bonnet Creek. Or, if you want to do a Disney stay, I would consider maybe booking your son and you at the value hotel for the duration and having your husband join you/visit when he can. You could easily lose more time than you make up with EMH, and you might end up spending as much in cab fees if the HBC transportation isn't reliable.

If that's not possible, you really can get a lot done without using the EMH. EMH parks tend to be more crowded, so try to choose the parks not having the EMH on those days, and especially the parks that had EMH the night before tend to be the least busy the day after the evening EMH. If you have park hoppers, you can simply change parks when you want to, and you can use Disney transportation between parks whether or not you are a guest of Disney resorts. If you do split your stay, I would advise doing it for consecutive days- the first two or last two- and not one at the start and one at the end, which seems more hassle than it's worth.

* You do have to check in to get your keys, and have your keys to ride anything during EMH.
* cab fare can cost between $20-$50.

floridamom
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I think it could be worthwhile staying at AS your first night. You'll get to use ME from the airport and EMH for Friday night and Sat AM. I think leaving your luggage with Bell Services Sat am and still making it out in time for EMH is doable and with the anticipated crowds, wise.

We have stayed at HBC and the pool area is great and has a lazy river. I think it would be very nice to spend a day there away from the park crowds.

IMHO, I don't know if it would be worth it to switch back to the AS for your last night, especially if your husband will be staying on at HBC. Making the resort switch super-early in the am and making it to EMH would be too hectic a start to the day for me personally. I think if you're there at regular opening and stay until 10 or 11 you should be able to get a lot in.

In any event, good luck woth tour decision and have a great trip!

Ms. Mode
03-12-2012, 04:06 PM
How much time would all the switching take out of your mini-vacation? I would probably stay in one place. Most resort in that area have a shuttle of some sort from the airports and to the parks. :thumbsup:

RoosMomKanga
03-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks all! You gave me great food for thought. Just booked the Pop (less than 5 miles from the HiltonBC) for both ends of the trip (even got a AAA rate $145/nt). After your input, I decided the best way was to send the 'boys' to the parks for EMH from Pop Sat. and I will do the hotel shuffle since I don't ride the really wild rides anyway at DHS. Hilton said their buses don't even start until actual opening time, but it's still worth the hassle for me if the boys can get through a lot of rides at EMH.

Monday will be more of a hassle since we all need to go/get hotel cards, but I called Pop and they said we can check in as early as 7am (FYI, online says 8am) and just leave our bags, so with some luck we can hopefully still be ontime for the 8am EMH! Thanks again!

SBETigg
03-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks all! You gave me great food for thought. Just booked the Pop (less than 5 miles from the HiltonBC) for both ends of the trip (even got a AAA rate $145/nt). After your input, I decided the best way was to send the 'boys' to the parks for EMH from Pop Sat. and I will do the hotel shuffle since I don't ride the really wild rides anyway at DHS. Hilton said their buses don't even start until actual opening time, but it's still worth the hassle for me if the boys can get through a lot of rides at EMH.

Monday will be more of a hassle since we all need to go/get hotel cards, but I called Pop and they said we can check in as early as 7am (FYI, online says 8am) and just leave our bags, so with some luck we can hopefully still be ontime for the 8am EMH! Thanks again!

Wow, okay, let the adventure begin. Only a few days away-- so exciting! Have a wonderful time. :)