PDA

View Full Version : Booking a room at value resort

polarbear72834
03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
So excited !Going to Disney World on the first week of May. Is it better to book a room on the computer or call to book a room? We want to stay at one of the Value resorts .
Also , My two grown daughters and my two year old grandbaby will be going with me. Are the value Resorts a safe place to stay, with just three women and a baby ? Are there security gaurds on site ? Thank You
One more question.. If you stay at a value resort, I read that you can bus to each of the parks. does the bus pick you up close to your room or is there a long walk to a bus stop involved ?

olivegirl
03-11-2012, 03:56 PM
We have stayed at POP for many years and will be staying at All Star Movies in 23 days and we never ever felt unsafe what so ever!! I can say that I have seen security driving around at night in the golf carts. We love to walk at night and never had any problems. Yes you will be able to catch a bus right out front of the resort to any park you wish. Depending where your room is all depends on your walk to the bus. Preferred rooms are closer to the buses and the main building. Lucky for us walking is not an issue!! The grounds are soo beautiful we enjoy the walk!We love the bus system. The longest we ever waited was about 15 mins, other than that usually we get one right away! Have a great time!!:thumbsup:

faline
03-11-2012, 04:00 PM
There is no difference in booking the room on-line or calling and speaking with someone. Do whichever is more comfortable for you.

All Disney resorts are relatively safe. I would not hesitate to stay solo in any of the Disney resorts. It certainly does not mean you through all caution to the wind but it does mean you do not need to be unduly worried about your safety or the "neighborhood" in which you will be staying.

There are busses from all resorts to the theme parks. How far you have to walk will depend upon which resort you select and where you are located within that resort. If walking is an issue, you can request lodgings that are close to transportation.

If you look under the Info Central tab, you'll find maps of each of the resorts which might help you out.

Since May is only a couple of months away, I'd suggest you get your plans in shape fairly soon. If there are any special locations at which you'd like to dine, you should make your reservations as soon as possible. Disney accepts reservations 180 days in advance so you might already find it difficult to make reservations at some of the more popular locations.

polarbear72834
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Thank you all for the info. We are making our reservations tomorrow. I can't seem to think about anything else but our Disney Trip ! My only concern with how far the walk to the bus is, is that I just recently had back surgery and the surgery left the back of my leg and most of my foot without feeling. So am a little concerned about being able to walk fast enough in order to not miss the bus. Again thank you all for the info.

faline
03-11-2012, 05:03 PM
My only concern with how far the walk to the bus is, is that I just recently had back surgery and the surgery left the back of my leg and most of my foot without feeling. So am a little concerned about being able to walk fast enough in order to not miss the bus. Again thank you all for the info.

Disney World involves lots of walking. The walk from the bus stop at the park to the park itself could be quite a lot longer than the walk from your room to the bus stop at the resort. Then, once you're inside the park, you'll also be facking lots of walking. If walking will be an issue for you, I'd suggest you look into renting a scooter to help you get around.

Additionally, I would have noted on your room reservation that walking great distances is an issue and you need a room as close as possible to transportation.

No need to worry about running to catch a bus. Typically, buses come through every 20 minutes or so. If you "just" miss a bus, another one will come along.

disneymom15
03-11-2012, 06:11 PM
I agree with previous posters. The only thing I would add is to contact magical journeys (Intercot sponsor) and have them make your reservation for you. They are wonderful to work with.

frozman
03-11-2012, 06:21 PM
If the walk to a bus stop is a major concern I would reccomend the All Stars, mostly movies. That long walk was one of my cheif complaints of POP, it's got 1,000 more rooms than any one All Star, and it's much more spread out. Also with movies, there are a couple buildings that are very close to Musics stop (you are allowed to use it), so you should never be that far.

amorillo
03-11-2012, 07:47 PM
agree with the previous post... if walking is an issue... definitely spend the extra money for a preferred room... tend to be closer to the main lobby/food court/bus stop.

and i personally have traveled by myself, and stayed at all-star movies... never felt unsafe.

have a great trip! :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-11-2012, 08:44 PM
I have never felt unsafe at Disney. Of course, you need to be aware (just like anywhere), but DD and I have spent time on our own, and I've been out by myself at night and never had a problem.

The value resorts are just fine. They are clean and in good repair. There are some rooms really close to the bus stops, but some that are further away.

However, as other posters have said, there is TONS of walking at Disney. The walk from the room to the bus is probably the shortest. There are scooters and wheelchairs available for rent in the parks, or you can use an off-site company (save some $$, and have it with you at the resort). Either way, do what you need to do to have a great trip!

Faline mentioned earlier, your trip is very close, and if you haven't already, now is the time to book dining reservations, or anything else special that you hope to do. Things really do book up quickly at Disney, so don't leave it even another day.

Have a great trip!

disneynarula
03-12-2012, 02:44 AM
I have never been more than a ten minute walk to the bus stop at any of the values. I have also stayed at the values with just some of my girlfriends and felt safe.

Not to put a damper on things but if walking to your room from the bus stop is a concern then walking around the parks might be a concern as well. If you can not walk long distances you might want to consider a wheelchair or a scooter.

If you are just worried about being able to walk fast the busses run constantly. Even if you miss one another will be along shortly.

LudwigVonDrake
03-12-2012, 12:42 PM
I always call. It's part of the "experience" for me :mickey:

You should pay for a preferred room (I think it's still $10 extra a night). The room will be closer to the main building/bus stops. When you book the room tell them that you need a first floor room for medical reasons.

Tink#64
03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
:welcome: If you knew which resort you were planning to stay, I'm sure you'd get lots of advice from the well seasoned WDW peeps here which buildings/rooms are closest to the bus stops for that resort!

Pop Century is our DW home and we absolutely love it! As a mom of 2 DS's, visiting since the youngest was 4, now they're old enough to prowl the property alone, I have always felt very comfortable walking the property alone or with just my kids and we've only stayed at the value resorts. The properties are very well lit, always staff/CM's out & about as well as other guests.

As far as the preferred rooms, that would depend on the resort. We've stayed in the referred 60's section many times, and it's awesome! But, we've found certain buildings in the 70's & 90's sections (not preferred) WAY closer to the bus stops! We don't have any walking issues, other than the 15 - 20 miles we're already walking in the parks each day! :D But it sure is nice when you return "home" from the parks not to have to walk any further than necessary! :medic:

Have fun planning! For me, it's the next best thing to actually being in WDW! :woohoo:

BhamWriter
03-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Another option you might want to consider is upgrading to POFQ, which is a much smaller resort and includes a nice boat ride to Downtown Disney.

Wolf
03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
PolarBear! Welcome to the coolest planning site on the net! I always travel with my Moma and she has a bad knee so I can sorta base what we've expierenced and you go from there, Pop Century is beautiful and safe but the walks can be kinda far, its really luck of the draw. If yall stay with Pop Century, tell them when you book and at check in as well. I'm going to agree with everyone else here and suggest looking into a scooter. We haven't had to go that route yet cause we just go slow and Moma wears a brace but I don't think they are terribly pricey and would probably really help. Dont stress the busses they are super simple to catch and navigate the parks via alittle header at the top of the bus, the bus drivers are used to scooters too so they are good at transporting them. Book soon though for sure! It'll help them accomodate you properly.