PDA

View Full Version : August?

PrettyMinnie
03-09-2012, 10:57 AM
We are contemplating a trip for this August. We have only been to WDW in April/May, what should I expect as far as crowds, heat, etc?

We are warm weather people and don't mind the Florida summers, I just would like a general idea.

Thanks!

faline
03-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Very hot and very humid - almost daily thundershowers - some of which can be quite intense but are usually short lived.

Crowds are heavier at the beginning of the month and begin to ebb throughout the month with the end of the month being much less crowded than the beginning.

SBETigg
03-09-2012, 11:37 AM
As Faline said. Keep in mind that the very hot and humid can seem even more intense when you're out in parks all day, on pavement. It's manageable, but you do need to stay hydrated and look for frequent opportunities to get out of the sun. I love the heat, but even I find that the sheer intensity and humidity does wear me down faster and we move at a slower pace in August than we do at other times of year.

PlutoPlanet
03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
We go in August every year. The first half of the month is crowded as summer is. The second half of the month is less crowded as parts of the country start school. You do get thunderstorms just about every afternoon and many evenings. We even got stuck in Orlando because of a hurricane one year.

barnaby
03-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Ditto for what everyone said - hot, humid, daily rain, low crowds the end of month.
Although my last trip, it was hotter in NJ, then it was at WDW.

We went 2 years ago the 3rd week of August and liked so much we are booked the end of August this year.

If you don't mind the weather, it is a great time to go.

mgmnut
03-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Hot, Humid, sticky!

We are in the same boat, going at the end of Aug this year. We went in July last year, we were fully prepared for the heat (mentally) and didn't think it was too bad. Although, I think July last year was pretty cool weather for FLA standards.

As long as you preare yourself, and don't think it is going to feel like May (My favorite time to go), I think you will be fine.

Try to get out of the sun mid day. Try something like a Park in the morn, pool in the afternoon, back to a park at night. Or, save indoor attractions (A/C) for the times of 11am - 2 or 3pm like Hall of Presedents, POTC, Carousel of Progress, etc. Eat TS for lunch (or indoor CS) out of the heat to recharge the batteries. Aug should deffinately be doable with the proper plan. At least that is what I am telling meself. :secret:

Remember, plenty of water (and frozen Mickey Bars :bar:)

Have fun planning!

tjstrike
03-10-2012, 05:40 PM
If it's the only time you can make it then don't plan to spend all day at the parks. Plan for some good pool time. Being from the south I know that July-September is the hottest time of the year. :flame:

Itchy
03-11-2012, 12:30 AM
As far as crowds, I love to go late August and first of September. The crowds are light and getting to most rides is almost a walkin.

The weather can be a bit of problem as you will have the heat, rain, and possibly a tropical storm or hurricane. But what the heck you are in Disney World and they take care of their guests.

I will be there in 77 day and again the first week of September.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

Disney Doll
03-11-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but I think it's hard to imagine just how extreme the humidity is until you experience it. The humidity makes otherwise reasonable summer temps feel so much worse. You are outside a lot and walking a lot so you really are impacted by the weather at WDW. I'm from OK where we set records for consecutive triple digit days in the summers and while I am fine with the OK heat I wither in the FL humidity. If you are dead set on August I would recommend late August so at least you will have the crowd situation in your favor. Brutal heat + the crowds of summer = too much for me.

gaffz70
03-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Ditto on all above comments.
We always go in August. I think we have dealt well w/ it b/c we were mentally prepared for it and ... I see u are from PA.... It is hot in humid in PA when we go so it's not that much of a culture shock when we arrive.

MarkC
03-11-2012, 05:35 PM
We've been about every week in August. You do notice a decent dropoff in crowd levels from week to week. Heavy at the start of the month and light by the end.

Get to the parks right at opening and get out by noon. Take a nap or pool break and go back in the late afternoon and hit a couple of indoor rides or shows. By the time the sun goes behind the trees and buildings its tolerable. Drink lots of water, etc.