PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon Ideas and advice

TIGGER17179
03-09-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm getting married in october this year and we are planning to go to DISNEY!!! I haven't been in 5 years and he has been since he was 10. I was looking at staying at the Coronado Springs and doing the deluxe dining plan. Is that a nice place or should I look at something else and is the dining plan worth the upgrade from the regular that is free with the stay? When I went with my family we always stayed at the Value resorts but since it was our honeymoon I wanted to step it up a little;). We don't have a huge budget or I'd stay at the Grand Floridian but we have a little to play with. Any suggestions on dining / things to do... Thanks

Tygger7
03-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Congratulations!! Personally, I'm not a fan of Coronado Springs...it has more of a "business / convention" feel versus a true "Disney" feel. I know some people love it, so it really comes down to personal opinion.

For the same price, I would stay at Port Orleans Riverside. Very romantic, and a beautiful resort. My DH and I took a trip to WDW this past December and stayed at POR for the first time and absolutely LOVED it.

If you want to step up to a deluxe without breaking the bank, I'd recommend Wilderness Lodge. It's the least expensive of the deluxe resorts (along with AKL), and is absolutely beautiful. The lobby will take your breath away.

Something else you may want to consider...the deluxe dining plan is a LOT of food. I mean a LOT of food...you'll either have to book 2 TS meals per day, or a signature meal every day..and you'll still have a CS & snacks to use up. I would look into staying at WL with the regular dining plan. If you want more food, you can always grab something.

Whatever you decide I hope you guys have a wonderful honeymoon!

cajundisneyfreak
03-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Hi! I have never stayed at that resort before so I can't really comment on it other than from what I heard or reading reviews.I hear it is really spread out therefore the rooms are quite a hike from the lobby & food court.Speaking of the food court you have to pay gratuity at the counter service which is ridiculous in my opinion.Now I have stayed recently at the Port Orleans French Quarter.It is a beautiful,smaller,romantic resort.The rooms are at a deluxe level but at a moderate price.I also think you would be fine with the basic dining plan unless of course you plan on doing signature restaurants.Hope this helps out.Congratulations on your wedding!!! I wish you many years of love & happiness.Hope you have a magical honeymoon at the happiest place on earth.:mickey:

SBETigg
03-09-2012, 11:33 AM
A lot of people really love Coronado Springs, so I think you'll be fine. I haven't stayed there, but it looks beautiful. For similar prices, you might consider the Swan or Dolphin, which are great for the location. There's nothing quite like being that close to the parks (DHS and Epcot right there, plus the Boardwalk for evening entertainment). They participate in EMH, but no DME or dining plan.

If you do want the dining plan and choose Coronado Springs, I think the deluxe plan is a good choice for a Honeymoon because you can do more Signature dining experiences and really enjoy the dining without worries. Normally, the deluxe plan is a lot of food and a lot of time out of the parks and spent dining, so that is something to consider if you're not a big fan of the Signature restaurants (finer dining, fewer kids- but still kids, it is Disney). Signature restaurants require two credits, so adding a few in cuts down on some restaurant stops overall (leaving more park time in the schedule).

diz_girl
03-09-2012, 12:48 PM
I'd agree about the Wilderness Lodge. It's a beautiful resort that has a secluded feeling about it. While it's more than a moderate, it's not GF more, and a standard room at the WL is 40% lower in price than a standard room at the GF. But you're still close to the MK and the monorail resorts and restaurants. Book with MJ and they'll get you the best rate out there.

And ditto about doing the regular dining plan versus the Deluxe. It seems like the best bang for the buck out of all the dining plans. However, don't feel that you have to do a dining plan. We did it once, when appetizer and tip was included, but it's not the value that it was.

Congratulations and have a great time.

disney1026
03-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I would recommend staying at one of the Port Orleans resorts as well. Both Riverside and French Quarter have a more romantic atmosphere than Coronado Springs, in my opinion.

The deluxe dining plan would be a great option as well. I think someone mentioned it in another post, but Coronado Springs often attracts business conventions and meetings that could possibly take away from the honeymoon feel of the trip.

But regardless of where you choose to stay, I am sure you'll have such a great time!

minnie-mouse
03-09-2012, 07:40 PM
I think the Coronado is a fabulous choice. The grounds are just beautiful there and very romantic at night walking around the lake with all the pretty lights, the beach areas, hammocks, etc. Definitely a great place. I would recommend doing at least one real nice dinner to celebrate, like at California Grill at CR, maybe the Spirit of Aloha Dinner show at Poly. We went to WDW on our honeymoon and loved to stroll the Poly grounds at night and sit on the beach watching electric water parade, fireworks. Simply magical-have a wonderful time!

ANG
03-12-2012, 08:28 AM
We stayed at the CS on our honeymoon as well :mickey: I don't think you will regret it.

spoonfulosugar
03-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Another vote for Coronado! We stayed there for our honeymoon as well. Been there several other times as a matter if fact. Love the Pepper Market and I don't think it has a convention feel at all. Beautiful grounds :). Congrats and have a blast!

Kairi_7378
03-12-2012, 11:20 PM
If I were you, I would stay at the moderate level and maybe splurge on one or two "special" things on your honeymoon. (A carriage ride at the PO resorts, a fireworks cruise, or a behind the scenes tour if you are into that sort of thing.) Depending on your budget, I'd consider Swan and Dolphin, WL, or AKL since they are lower priced deluxe resorts. Of the mods I've stayed at, I'd consider CSR as my first choice for a honeymoon, followed by POR and then POFQ. They all have their charms though.

I think that Sherri's assessment of regular vs DDP is spot on. It would be good for you if you are interested in Signature dining. If you decide against the deluxe plan, there are plenty of 1-credit restaurants that I'd consider to be good honeymoon choices. You will also have the chance to use snack credits during the Food and Wine festival in October, so you would be able to use those hard-to-use snack credits there.

AmandaChan
03-13-2012, 04:01 AM
make sure you get your just married pin!!!

hauntedmansiongirl
03-16-2012, 02:32 AM
We love CSR and we are a married couple with no kids. The best part about it is the quietness compared to the values! The landscaping is amazing and there are butterflies everywhere (at least there were when we went in late September). And because it is a convention resort there are a few amenities that the other mods don't have (like a salon and spa and a business centre where you can get cheap wifi).

If you booked a king room ask for a bathtub though. When we first arrived we ended up with a handicapped room with a roll in shower and a very wimpy shower head. I have really long hair and couldn't rinse it out! Changing rooms made all the difference in the world!

We find the regular dining plan to be loads of food, but as previous posters have said, if you want to try some of the signature restaurants the Deluxe would be very nice. California Grill at the Contemporary and Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge are so romantic and the food is wonderful!

Have a great honeymoon! I'm sure that Disney will help to make you feel special and spoil you rotten! :mickey:

Starryice
03-16-2012, 02:52 PM
CONGRATS, From a fellow October bride! My hubby and I had our wedding and Disneymoon there, and we had a fantastic two weeks!

I wish I could comment on CSR, but I have never had the opportunity to stay there - What I can comment on is that no matter what resort you do decide to visit, you are only a quick trip to another hotel to visit the special perks they have to offer.

The second thing I have to say, is that the Deluxe plan is a TON of food! I would suggest you save a little and drop it down to the basic plan. Do you both really want an appetizer, entree, and dessert at every meal? We could not get through two apps and two desserts every night on top of everything else we were nibbling on at the Food and Wine festival.

That being said - your snack points will poof (which is a great thing!) at the food/wine festival. We nibbled our way around the world while we were there and quickly found our favorites (the brat in a pretzel bun in Germany is amazing!)

Here are a few things that we have done and loved!

#1 suggestion - Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks dessert party! (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/tomorrowland-terrace-fireworks-dessert-party/)
Grab a drink at the Polynesian bar and walk out towards the luau. The beach between the polynesian and the wedding pavilion is usually empty. Sit on the beach, enjoy your cocktail, and watch the wishes fireworks with your new hubby

Take a nighttime stroll around the boardwalk - Head over to the Swan/Dolphin and keep walking between the hotels. You will find some comfy hammocks! Commandeer one with cuddle up for some stargazing.

You can walk to the Fantasia minigolf gardens - They are right next to the Swan/Dolphin. - Kick his butt!

While you are at downtown disney - jump into any one of the resort boats. My suggestion would be to jump on the boat to PoR and go over and see Yeeha Bob. It's not romantic, but it sure is a ton of fun! If you are not in the mood for an energetic piano man, do a carriage ride <3

Many resorts also offer an outdoor movie - we saw part of one on our honeymoon before they destroyed the beach near the Grand Floridan (We were not staying there, just a moonlit stroll past and we decided to sit and enjoy). I would recommend the ones on the beach (Grand Floridan/Polynesian) over the other resorts. Our home resorts (OKW, STS) were packed with kids and it was just too much for us to really sit back and enjoy.

Use the Monorail to escape the park for lunch. The quick trips into the hotels on the raid for food (DRINKS at the bar!) on the monorail offer a welcome respite from the parks. :marg:

Unfortunately the "Just Married" button has been discontinued - It has been replaced with the "Happily Ever After" button. If you have your heart set on getting one, I would suggest snagging one online before you get there. That's what we did. I was shocked to find out how much attention those little things actually gather.

Combine those with the bride ears and you will get a TON of attention (Not in the way of anything free, but well wishes from cast members and guests)

Hope this helps and have a WONDERFUL Disneymoon!

RBrooksC
03-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Our Honeymoon dinner was at the California Grill which I highly recommend. We got to watch the fireworks from our table and enjoy some great food.

TIGGER17179
03-21-2012, 03:45 PM
CONGRATS, From a fellow October bride! My hubby and I had our wedding and Disneymoon there, and we had a fantastic two weeks!

I wish I could comment on CSR, but I have never had the opportunity to stay there - What I can comment on is that no matter what resort you do decide to visit, you are only a quick trip to another hotel to visit the special perks they have to offer.

The second thing I have to say, is that the Deluxe plan is a TON of food! I would suggest you save a little and drop it down to the basic plan. Do you both really want an appetizer, entree, and dessert at every meal? We could not get through two apps and two desserts every night on top of everything else we were nibbling on at the Food and Wine festival.

That being said - your snack points will poof (which is a great thing!) at the food/wine festival. We nibbled our way around the world while we were there and quickly found our favorites (the brat in a pretzel bun in Germany is amazing!)

Here are a few things that we have done and loved!

#1 suggestion - Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks dessert party! (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/tomorrowland-terrace-fireworks-dessert-party/)
Grab a drink at the Polynesian bar and walk out towards the luau. The beach between the polynesian and the wedding pavilion is usually empty. Sit on the beach, enjoy your cocktail, and watch the wishes fireworks with your new hubby

Take a nighttime stroll around the boardwalk - Head over to the Swan/Dolphin and keep walking between the hotels. You will find some comfy hammocks! Commandeer one with cuddle up for some stargazing.

You can walk to the Fantasia minigolf gardens - They are right next to the Swan/Dolphin. - Kick his butt!

While you are at downtown disney - jump into any one of the resort boats. My suggestion would be to jump on the boat to PoR and go over and see Yeeha Bob. It's not romantic, but it sure is a ton of fun! If you are not in the mood for an energetic piano man, do a carriage ride <3

Many resorts also offer an outdoor movie - we saw part of one on our honeymoon before they destroyed the beach near the Grand Floridan (We were not staying there, just a moonlit stroll past and we decided to sit and enjoy). I would recommend the ones on the beach (Grand Floridan/Polynesian) over the other resorts. Our home resorts (OKW, STS) were packed with kids and it was just too much for us to really sit back and enjoy.

Use the Monorail to escape the park for lunch. The quick trips into the hotels on the raid for food (DRINKS at the bar!) on the monorail offer a welcome respite from the parks. :marg:

Unfortunately the "Just Married" button has been discontinued - It has been replaced with the "Happily Ever After" button. If you have your heart set on getting one, I would suggest snagging one online before you get there. That's what we did. I was shocked to find out how much attention those little things actually gather.

Combine those with the bride ears and you will get a TON of attention (Not in the way of anything free, but well wishes from cast members and guests)

Hope this helps and have a WONDERFUL Disneymoon!

Where do you get the buttons?

TIGGER17179
03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Would it be worth upgrading to the Beach Club resort instead of CSR or POR?

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-21-2012, 03:59 PM
I think any of of the resorts you/others suggested would be just lovely. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the resorts. Perhaps it all depends on what kind of mood or setting you want for your honeymoon and hotel.

If you weren't going to WDW, where would you have wanted to go on your honeymoon? The beach? Stay at the Beach Club or Boardwalk; if you want an Arizona type feel, stay at Coronado... :)

Lizzy
03-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Congrats on your engagement and finding someone who supports your Disney love ;)

I think the CSR would be a good choice if you are looking for quieter evenings. I stayed there part of my honeymoon for my first marriage. It was very quiet, but I wouldn't call it romantic. My first suggestion if you can swing it would be the yacht&beach club resorts. I totally love them. They have seats out on the beach, the Yachtsman steakhouse is fantastic and the back entrance to Epcot is a nice perk. I just think those two have the most "honeymoon feel" to them. I would also recommend the WL or PO-R. All great choices and have romantic atmostpheres about them.

faline
03-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Where do you get the buttons?

If you've noted your celebration on your room reservation, they might even have a button waiting for you when you arrive. If not, go to guest relations at any park and you can get them there.

TIGGER17179
03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks to everyone.. Very helpful! Now I wish I didn't have to wait 6 months!

TIGGER17179
03-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Has anyone ordered from the Disney florist to have a little something special in the room when you get there? I see where you can order your wedding mouse ears and chanmpagne and stuff. Just wondering how that worked since you don't know what your room number will be until you get there.

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Has anyone ordered from the Disney florist to have a little something special in the room when you get there? I see where you can order your wedding mouse ears and chanmpagne and stuff. Just wondering how that worked since you don't know what your room number will be until you get there.

I've never done this but I imagine you'd just give them your name and reservation number and then they can track you down that way and have them delivered to your room.